Mod Others The Sims 4: Mod Collection [K.Leoric]

4.80 star(s) 25 Votes

Do you want to divide the thread in 2 (CC and mod) or keep it as it is?

• divide

Votes: 537 54.8%
  • keep it as it is

Votes: 443 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunni_dip72

Mar 12, 2020
Is it possible to move and run your mods/tray folder from an external drive? Or is EA not ready for that? I have an ASUS Zenbook 8GB Ram 512GB SSD plus a 2 TB external drive. I have in game a 163GB (about 12.5K) that's not all I'm on a trim the fat cc diet. I have lag in game and the load time is about 5-7. I have BE mod which helps with LE but that takes 4EVA, given the size of the folder (oops my bad). I have done the bulk rename and merged files which help in my addiction of cc hoarding lol. I hope the question makes sense. I'm not tech savvy but I'll fake it til I make it (I pull on the threads from here, lol) I'm learning :). I was just curious. Thnx n Adv <3

tmacgrl

Apr 20, 2020
Is it possible to move and run your mods/tray folder from an external drive? Or is EA not ready for that? I have an ASUS Zenbook 8GB Ram 512GB SSD plus a 2 TB external drive. I have in game a 163GB (about 12.5K) that's not all I'm on a trim the fat cc diet. I have lag in game and the load time is about 5-7. I have BE mod which helps with LE but that takes 4EVA, given the size of the folder (oops my bad). I have done the bulk rename and merged files which help in my addiction of cc hoarding lol. I hope the question makes sense. I'm not tech savvy but I'll fake it til I make it (I pull on the threads from here, lol) I'm learning :). I was just curious. Thnx n Adv <3
I did this before I got a gaming laptop. You do have to run the game from the external, as well. It was going great until my dog nudged it out of the usb before I could save :rolleyes:

Yanlucaca

Sep 11, 2018
Hey, how are you? First Happy New Year! I was wondering if anyone has the new contents of Colores Urbanos? If anyone has, please, please share with us :DD

• Love
Reactions: MatomiB
Nov 4, 2020
It doesn't slow down at all. The ASCII table has 127 characters (Extended ASCII brings the total to 255). Special characters that are claimed to slow things down are silly at best. By that logic, the character "Z" should slow you down too as it's decimal 122, and the "{" is 123. (Stripping out special characters isn't going to make files load faster.) The point being, when you press a character on your keyboard, it generates a number, NOT a character. It doesn't take any longer to generate a "Z" then a "{". The logic of special characters actually slowing down load times is ridiculous at best.

Now, in terms of sorting in an operating system, that's a different story. For instance, Windows sees the very first visible special character as "!" (It's decimal 20 on the ASCII table). Since the Sims 4 is known to read package files from low to high in the ASCII table (Windows sorts the same way), it would make sense to preface a file name with say a "!" to ensure it is loaded first (Some modder's use this). Windows will always read directories and file names that start with ! first. Why? because the ASCII table is sorted low to high. (Incidentally, most special characters come before "A" (decimal 65 on the table). Of course not all special characters are allowed to be used in file names.

What you point out is certainly valid for sorting, and not noticing any real differences between files with special characters loading slower or faster, is also valid because there is no difference.
Yessss, thank you - I'd known that special characters didn't slow down the game, but for some reason this misinformation is really common within mod user's minds. (I was half saying - if you feel the need to change it, please for the love o' god allow the name to be searchable.)

I may take the entirety of what you wrote to convince a few folks that they don't need to make their mod folder a nightmare because you said it better than I could.

Nov 4, 2020
Totally doable - I run off of an external myself - I just link the mod folder via this method (taken from Reddit):

1. Move your Mods folder to your external hard drive by clicking and dragging it from Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\ to the external drive while holding shift. Ensure that the popup that appears says "Moving files," not "Copying files." Once this step is complete, you should not have a Mods folder in your Electronic Arts\Sims 4 folder but you will have one on your external hard drive. If you want, you can rename it to something else to make your life easier (eg "Sims 4 Mods" rather than just "Mods").

2. Press the Windows Key and X at the same time, and click "Command Prompt (Admin)". Paste in the following command:

MKLINK /J "%UserProfile%\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods" "[insert path to mods folder on external hard drive here]"

Make sure you replace [insert path to mods folder on external hard drive here] with the actual path to where you copied the mods folder onto your external drive (eg. "F:\Gaming stuff\Sims 4 Mods").

3. Go to Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4\Mods in the file explorer. If you see all your mods, that should mean it worked. Run TS4 and check the options menu to make sure your mods are showing as installed, but do not load any of your saves before checking or else they could potentially become corrupted.

If all goes well, this should create a symbolic link in your EA\TS4 folder that points to the folder on your external hard drive.

Feb 27, 2020
Hey guys normally I just hunt down my CC and settle but right now I really am seeking out some realistic denim\leather wear for my sims, All female stuff. Mostly looking for jeans, the best out there but I also would love black leather, biker, spikes, studs stuff etc and all the jackets you can spare! Thanks a bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.80 star(s) 25 Votes