HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
Will we ever find out who killed the king and why?
Definitely, but probably not for at least a good few more updates.

Besides reviews how worth is this to play now, compared to waiting until more complete?

Changelog and developer note seems to suggest atm this FAR from worth it atm and best to wait w/e a year or something.
I won't twist your arm to play it, but there is quite a bit of content already. Do note though that the changelogs are always going to be very brief, because I really dislike writing them. Some of those 1-line descriptions represent 30+ pieces of individual artwork and 50.000 words.

But there is no harm in waiting another year.

Hey Daedalus, I was asking myself a few questions (not yet played the game) :
- Can we have a harem and choose who can be in it ?
- Is there a new game + scheduled so we can choose the magic warrior path ? (extra revenge)
- How close are we to completion ? 50% finished ?
- Is there a walkthrough ?
- Is this good ? (come on, I'm offering a free question here XD)
1) Not a harem in the traditional sense. Part of this is because you don't really see all the characters on all the routes, so it's very hard to do a traditional harem-style game. Having said that, it is possible to play through the major routes having encounters with multiple different characters, or play it monogamously, or play a virgin-route.

2) Right now my main focus is on finishing all the main branches. Once I manage to finish all of those, I'll loop back around for smaller routes and maybe some other routes that I think are interesting, just to fill out the world. That alone will leave the game quite large, so any possible extra/bonus routes might one day come, but they'd be at least a few years away.

3) A rough estimate, I'd say most of the routes (after the release of update v0.90), will be about 30% complete. My goal is to get all the routes to 60% complete in the next year, and then wrap up all the major routes in 2024.

4) A walkthrough is a popular request. I am considering one, but I've been thinking of combining it with a gallery-system, so it's kind of a half gallery/half walkthrough, but that's a plan for early next year.

5) It's a passion project, and when I launched it earlier this year I was quite nervous about how it would be received. Seeing people connect with the project as much as they have has been an incredible experience and has definitely motivated me a lot whenever I struggled with some of the tougher parts of the game. Is it good? I'm of the opinion that a creator should leave that up to the audience.

bandyta80

Mar 8, 2022
are there sex scenes with an old man? I ask because on some pages under this game there is a designation of this genre...

Saphartlantis

Dec 4, 2018
5) It's a passion project, and when I launched it earlier this year I was quite nervous about how it would be received. Seeing people connect with the project as much as they have has been an incredible experience and has definitely motivated me a lot whenever I struggled with some of the tougher parts of the game. Is it good? I'm of the opinion that a creator should leave that up to the audience.
Well that's an honest review. Bookmarked ^^ I'll probably come back when it's nearer completion. Hate to get cut off rigth in the middle

Reactions: HappyDaedalus

dakilladj

Feb 21, 2018
Definitely, but probably not for at least a good few more updates.

I won't twist your arm to play it, but there is quite a bit of content already. Do note though that the changelogs are always going to be very brief, because I really dislike writing them. Some of those 1-line descriptions represent 30+ pieces of individual artwork and 50.000 words.

But there is no harm in waiting another year.

1) Not a harem in the traditional sense. Part of this is because you don't really see all the characters on all the routes, so it's very hard to do a traditional harem-style game. Having said that, it is possible to play through the major routes having encounters with multiple different characters, or play it monogamously, or play a virgin-route.

2) Right now my main focus is on finishing all the main branches. Once I manage to finish all of those, I'll loop back around for smaller routes and maybe some other routes that I think are interesting, just to fill out the world. That alone will leave the game quite large, so any possible extra/bonus routes might one day come, but they'd be at least a few years away.

3) A rough estimate, I'd say most of the routes (after the release of update v0.90), will be about 30% complete. My goal is to get all the routes to 60% complete in the next year, and then wrap up all the major routes in 2024.

4) A walkthrough is a popular request. I am considering one, but I've been thinking of combining it with a gallery-system, so it's kind of a half gallery/half walkthrough, but that's a plan for early next year.

Got some qurestions of my own if that's alright. You're rather popular on here and it's not hard to see why given how communicative you've been and the show of work at a regular pace on top of releases.

On the topic of player agency as a whole:

1.) The story so far has been linear. At least in the sense of there being routes to choose from and go down based off player choice. Along the way are opportunities for sex should the player choose it as well. But as far as i could tell, i do not believe that sex has explicitly been the mechanism for deciding your path through the game. But there have been some opportunities for it which fit more then others. Namely, the slave path and new mage fail summon path to say a few. Going forward, are you going to keep the current way of progession as mentioned above? Or have you given thought to potentially shaping the route based off of how you conduct your nightly business? Ex. Sarah trying to return after the aforementioned fail summon, but there being enough opportunities to corrupt her so that the choice of returning is no longer an option?

1a.) Given how freely Sarah can choose her partners, would restricting this due to the above be a decision you'd be in favor of making? This already happens in the princess route with who begins the civil war. so can we look forward to more?

2.) Will there be any impact to ostricizing people as you go along storywise? And by that, i don't mean just no sleeping with them. Killing kate in the mage route, killing the barbarian messenger, or executing the blue knight in the princess route? Where they might be able to help in the future but not if you kill them.

3.) Piggybacking off of 1.) I think you said that all routes will generally lead to the same place somewhere here. The mage route update gave a hint to that seemingly. Thus, a single ending is in the cards. But just how many do you plan on making? To elaborate, you could make a specific ending to every route where the outcome is shaped by how sarah navigated the world.

3a.) Just how much variance are your sexual partners/escapades going to play a role in these or how you get there if any? Ex. Simping for Carolyn throughout the princess route until you are a ruler in name but otherwise defer to her for everything vs. Trying to strike up a more mutual arrangement after getting the sense whipped into you as per their last interaction but she remains an advisor only.

HappyDaedalus

Game Developer
Dec 30, 2021
Got some qurestions of my own if that's alright. You're rather popular on here and it's not hard to see why given how communicative you've been and the show of work at a regular pace on top of releases.

1.) The story so far has been linear. At least in the sense of there being routes to choose from and go down based off player choice. Along the way are opportunities for sex should the player choose it as well. But as far as i could tell, i do not believe that sex has explicitly been the mechanism for deciding your path through the game. But there have been some opportunities for it which fit more then others. Namely, the slave path and new mage fail summon path to say a few. Going forward, are you going to keep the current way of progession as mentioned above? Or have you given thought to potentially shaping the route based off of how you conduct your nightly business? Ex. Sarah trying to return after the aforementioned fail summon, but there being enough opportunities to corrupt her so that the choice of returning is no longer an option?
So this is definitely a balancing act. Most often, it is the story choices that define the context in which Sarah exists, and then within the context, characters/encounters that make sense. A big part of that is because I generally want players to be able to experience the big storylines on their own terms.

So if a player says Sarah is a lesbian, then they should be able to play her as such, and not miss out on main story. As a result, usually it is the story-choices that define the story, rather than the sexual encounters. The reason is that if I do it the other way around, I might write a really fun/cool chapter with Sarah x Samayra, but any player who wants to play her straight, would miss out on that part of the story, or vice/versa.

Now of course, I do want choices in partners to reflect back on the story, but only partially. For the most part, everyone should be able to experience the main-story, and then have Sarah move through that in whatever sexual-fasion they like. Some exceptions exist, like Sarah x Varga is always exclusively monogamous, but that's because that's explicitly the fantasy that it leans into.

1a.) Given how freely Sarah can choose her partners, would restricting this due to the above be a decision you'd be in favor of making? This already happens in the princess route with who begins the civil war. so can we look forward to more?
Sometimes restrictions make sense, but restrictions also bring along with them a lot of additional writing and coding, which is already something I hope to try and keep a bit in check, just because I want to keep the story manageable.

2.) Will there be any impact to ostricizing people as you go along storywise? And by that, i don't mean just no sleeping with them. Killing kate in the mage route, killing the barbarian messenger, or executing the blue knight in the princess route? Where they might be able to help in the future but not if you kill them.
Definitely, and the Barbarian messenger is a good example. If you let him live, he'll come and save you, and becomes a romanceable character in the future. If you don't save him, nobody comes to Sarah's rescue, but you end up meeting other potential characters, like The Old Soldier.

3.) Piggybacking off of 1.) I think you said that all routes will generally lead to the same place somewhere here. The mage route update gave a hint to that seemingly. Thus, a single ending is in the cards. But just how many do you plan on making? To elaborate, you could make a specific ending to every route where the outcome is shaped by how sarah navigated the world.
The main stories are going to have about 3/4 really big different endings. And within those endings, there will be a lot of sub-variety as well, so for example, let us say "Sarah Happy" ending, you might have a Sarah x Varga happy end, or a Sarah x Atilla happy end, or a Sarah x Samayra happy end. But then also, of course, further modulating the ending for choices made during the story.

So if Sarah makes a lot of cynical choices, she might end up as a very cynical person. But if she makes a lot of kind-hearted choices, she ends up more kind-hearted.

So in the end, the stories end up in a few different ways, and within each of those, there will be a lot of variety to reflect a players playthrough. And of course, each of the routes will feel quite different in their ending. A Mage-Sarah will be totally different from a Warrior-Sarah or a Princess-Sarah.

And then finally, all the non-major routes, like Sarah being taken by the Tribes, will have their own very different endings.

3a.) Just how much variance are your sexual partners/escapades going to play a role in these or how you get there if any? Ex. Simping for Carolyn throughout the princess route until you are a ruler in name but otherwise defer to her for everything vs. Trying to strike up a more mutual arrangement after getting the sense whipped into you as per their last interaction but she remains an advisor only.
This is one way in which I do hope to let the sexual scenes influence and effect the story.

So a Sarah that has a relationship with Carolyn, might become a lot more submissive in her behavior, than one who has a happy relationship with Varga.
But it will only affect the story in small ways, because as I mentioned before, I never really want to lock people out of parts of the story that they're on.

Hope that clears some of this up.

dakilladj

Feb 21, 2018
So this is definitely a balancing act. Most often, it is the story choices that define the context in which Sarah exists, and then within the context, characters/encounters that make sense. A big part of that is because I generally want players to be able to experience the big storylines on their own terms.

So if a player says Sarah is a lesbian, then they should be able to play her as such, and not miss out on main story. As a result, usually it is the story-choices that define the story, rather than the sexual encounters. The reason is that if I do it the other way around, I might write a really fun/cool chapter with Sarah x Samayra, but any player who wants to play her straight, would miss out on that part of the story, or vice/versa.

Now of course, I do want choices in partners to reflect back on the story, but only partially. For the most part, everyone should be able to experience the main-story, and then have Sarah move through that in whatever sexual-fasion they like. Some exceptions exist, like Sarah x Varga is always exclusively monogamous, but that's because that's explicitly the fantasy that it leans into.

Sometimes restrictions make sense, but restrictions also bring along with them a lot of additional writing and coding, which is already something I hope to try and keep a bit in check, just because I want to keep the story manageable.
Fair enough. Knowing what you are and aren't able to do is great for setting realistic goals. Have you had to scrap ideas before because you didn't know about or weren't sure if you could program the code itself?

Definitely, and the Barbarian messenger is a good example. If you let him live, he'll come and save you, and becomes a romanceable character in the future. If you don't save him, nobody comes to Sarah's rescue, but you end up meeting other potential characters, like The Old Soldier.
Should be a bit more specific in my wording but your answer was good. Will these choice have far-flung consequences potentially? You posted about having an idea for how the whole story for the main routes is going to play out. Will there be points later on where if you kill Lily for example, she cannot aid you in a crucial part of a later mission or siege which makes it harder but not impossible? Wanted to know meticulous your outline was or if you just had a good idea as to what story beats you're hitting throughout and how the absence/presence of a character would matter there.

The main stories are going to have about 3/4 really big different endings. And within those endings, there will be a lot of sub-variety as well, so for example, let us say "Sarah Happy" ending, you might have a Sarah x Varga happy end, or a Sarah x Atilla happy end, or a Sarah x Samayra happy end. But then also, of course, further modulating the ending for choices made during the story.

So if Sarah makes a lot of cynical choices, she might end up as a very cynical person. But if she makes a lot of kind-hearted choices, she ends up more kind-hearted.

So in the end, the stories end up in a few different ways, and within each of those, there will be a lot of variety to reflect a players playthrough. And of course, each of the routes will feel quite different in their ending. A Mage-Sarah will be totally different from a Warrior-Sarah or a Princess-Sarah.

And then finally, all the non-major routes, like Sarah being taken by the Tribes, will have their own very different endings.
So the trajectory for the princess route might be: Princess Sarah Happy (with X), Princess Sarah Sad (with X), Princess Sarah Cynical(with X) for example. With the ending decided on by your choices through the story. I imagine the outcome of the 1st siege on the rebels would be an example to influence your path towards on of those ends. it's also good to note that paths will play out very differently despite having the same 'beats' within the narrative. Going to the crystal in the desert for example. It isn't a issue of being lazy or contrived to reuse it, but a matter of fate which plays a big role in the narrative.

This is one way in which I do hope to let the sexual scenes influence and effect the story.

So a Sarah that has a relationship with Carolyn, might become a lot more submissive in her behavior, than one who has a happy relationship with Varga.
But it will only affect the story in small ways, because as I mentioned before, I never really want to lock people out of parts of the story that they're on.

Hope that clears some of this up.
It does and i can see the stark contrast there. Other games create different dialogue or choices depending on your most dominant traits throughout. Ex. Shy, Bold, Restrained, etc. But this leads to a lot more writing obviously to take into account these deviations from the 'main' text. I've not noticed it in my playthrough but i could be wrong. You probably don't have for example, two different versions of the same meeting where a shy Sarah would talk/react differently then if she was confident?

Here's an extra one if you enjoy talking about the process of making the game: 4.) The plan as you put forth already, was to finish up the main stories, take downtime to make side-one's occasionally before focusing on those before completing(?) the game. Do you think when/if you grow more proficient with the game's software over time, you might return back to add content and depth like the above mentioned or something else along those lines? If you don't already have another idea for a project on your mind?

Kalrotix

Sep 27, 2017
I just finished the mage update, interesting to see the developpment of the relationships between her and the characters. I also like the different choices between the differents type of magic. My only regret is that Sarah in this path

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Anyway I can't wait to see more !

Reactions: GmFn1869

Demonhero12

Sep 12, 2022
Just finished playing the warrior, mage, princess path and I just have to say that this is an absolutely fantastic visual novel. The story, the characters... everything is awesome!

I especially love how much choice you have in terms of the sex scenes. FXF, MXF, FXFXF etc... really have something for everyone.

Also I enjoy that there is no perfect 'right path' like most visual novels. Every route will offer new love interests, plot points and sacrifices. Really makes the difference.

Thank you for creating this.

dreminh

Jan 4, 2019
how long the gameplay is and does it worth the price tag of 10 $ , i planed to buy this
sorry for bad english

dakilladj

Feb 21, 2018
how long the gameplay is and does it worth the price tag of 10 $ , i planed to buy this
sorry for bad english
Given what's already there and what's to come? Yes. This game is estimated to be finished in 2 years with triple the content is has now.

Raizeki

Feb 18, 2018

What is that ''mage fail summon path'' ? i don't think i have seem that.

dakilladj

Feb 21, 2018
What is that ''mage fail summon path'' ? i don't think i have seem that.
It's in the .90 update. He gave a preview of it on his patreon. After communing with big black stone, it should happen if you ask to study demon stuff with the new character. From there, don't listen to the advice given to you and you're on it. Doesn't have more then 1 scene atm and seems to be a side-path.

khm7899

Jun 14, 2022
Very good. I'm looking forward to the future.
I think it would be perfect if there was a gallery.

4.50 star(s) 60 Votes