Things you're tired of seeing in a game?

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
-Too many tags. I've seen a lot of games with a whole bunch of tags and the majority of those tags are for just one single scene maybe 2. Its disingenuous. They do this only for the sake of ticking boxes so they can lure in patreon supporters. Game devs should focus on 3 main fetishes that will serve as the foundation for their game.
I can understand why you would think that but this is actually untrue. It's F95 policy to tag content even if it's for a single scene. I've actually tried to get a couple of tags removed from my game for the very reason you described and wasn't able to.

Normally staff are pretty accommodating to the devs but even if a single user reports that a tag needs to be included due to a single render, it's likely going to be added.

I would love to see some sort of primary/secondary tag system where the primary describes the game and the secondary can just be the misc dump of one-off stuff.

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
I would love to see some sort of primary/secondary tag system where the primary describes the game and the secondary can just be the misc dump of one-off stuff.
While we don't have this system yet, maybe the devs could distinguish major tags from minor tags in the OP post.

But seriously, the primary/secondary tag system could be excellent, since I probably avoided some good games because it haves some tags that I don't like (blackmail or rape or humiliation) and it's a tag for some minor (and/or avoidable) points of the story.

Nakhranoth

Dec 8, 2017
Harem, I hate harem or characters being restricted to the MC with a passion. I very much prefer for any man to have sex with any girl and viceversa, sex being as normal as saying hello. Sadly there isn't much content like this currently.

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
Harem, I hate harem or characters being restricted to the MC with a passion. I very much prefer for any man to have sex with any girl and viceversa, sex being as normal as saying hello. Sadly there isn't much content like this currently.
While I'm a Harem enjoyer, I can totally see your point.

I think a more consistent world building is necessary, like, you're with your Love Interest (or more than one in Polyamour/Harem cases), but the characters outside of that MC bubble, evolving and enjoying their lives, and not only being a on/off switch, in relation to the MC bubble.

Reactions: ExDeath730

Nakhranoth

Dec 8, 2017
While I'm a Harem enjoyer, I can totally see your point.

I think a more consistent world building is necessary, like, you're with your Love Interest (or more than one in Polyamour/Harem cases), but the characters outside of that MC bubble, evolving and enjoying their lives, and not only being a on/off switch, in relation to the MC bubble.
Until now I haven't seen many clear examples of the middle ground you mention being properly reached, but if I had to name something that comes close it would be Solvalley School.

Orlox

Nov 11, 2016
School settings.

How the MC's "best friend" almost always has to be super annoying.

Forced relationships and/or starting the game already in a relationship. I don't want to read a MC going on and on about how hot and great a character is if I couldn't care less about them.

CONSTANT inner monologues from every character.

"Big Dick Brainwashing" and then how every love interest pretty much only talks and thinks about said big cock.

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
School settings.

Forced relationships and/or starting the game already in a relationship. I don't want to read a MC going on and on about how hot and great a character is if I couldn't care less about them.

"Big Dick Brainwashing" and then how every love interest pretty much only talks and thinks about said big cock.
Gonna comment your points one by one.

1) In regards to school, I'm 50/50. Maybe because I don't play that much of AVN's school themed, and I prefer that when school is used, is just part of the narrative, not the entirety of the novel.

2) I commented something similar in this topic, but in regards of "every other male character is annoying/piece of shit", is just lazy writing to make the MC looks good in comparison.

3) Pretty much agree with you. How could I feel attached to someone who I didn't knew how I got engaged?

4) A inner monologue here and there is fine, but yep, it's kinda annoying when every character have a monologue that could fill the entire LOTR trilogy.

5) Also agree. And this is basically every Miel novel. While sometimes, I catch myself thinking in a middle of a playthrough: "If I had a Brainwasher Big Dick ™ , I would put in that character, just to get her off my back", it's more of a giggle point than a desire.

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022

Yep, excessive inner monologues suck because as they say in screenwriting/storytelling, SHOW US dont tell us. If it's a close friend and he's a funny guy, SHOW US. Inner monologues for the mc are particularly egregious because the voice is superseding how you feel, when it should be self-evident based on the decisions you've made in the game. In a well designed game, it's obvious "I'm so crazy about this girl" because you've picked her in a number of filtering screens.

I'm in the minority that I actually like the school settings - generally, it's something most of us can relate to instead of a niche profession, and it sets up an arena in which high levels of socialization are the norm, as opposed to a workplace where flirtacious writing can easily be seen as too much or too little.

RE: other male friends looking bad, I've only been around here a short bit, but ive become aware of the extreme sensitivity towards any other male character attracting any females whatsoever, as if the fantasy of a harem werent enough, it needs to be exclusive lol. This is an where a game like Being a Dik truly shines, some of Derek's dialogue is the best writing in the game.

Chris_Prat

May 19, 2017
Out of curiosity.. I'm looking for a game where the MC (male protagonist) isn't a douchebag/scumbag/piece of shit and doesn't treat any girl like a whore seconds next of got laid.. It's a matter of roleplay, I know, it could be a way of spice things up, I know that too, but I feel tired (really tired) about all that dirty/trash talking assuming the girl is a whore/bitch/slut/whatever and that's usual (you don't usually see the way back so the girl telling 'son of a bitch' to the MC, I only remember that situation on 'College Bound' when the MC fucks Miranda and that's because I've played the game recently).. Come to mind 'AOA Academy' or 'Hillside', on this games there's no dirty crap talking but there isn't barelly any sex scene too (specially on the second one)..
Said that, the second choice I've been really tired about could be the 'slowbuuurn' pretext, many good games could die for this attempt ('Hillside' exposed before is an example), between exposing lewd scenes right from the very beginning and the other (I mean, shows nothing update after update) should be a middle term, I suppose..

Reactions: Zero1994

obibobi

May 10, 2017
RE: other male friends looking bad, I've only been around here a short bit, but ive become aware of the extreme sensitivity towards any other male character attracting any females whatsoever, as if the fantasy of a harem werent enough, it needs to be exclusive lol. This is an where a game like Being a Dik truly shines, some of Derek's dialogue is the best writing in the game.
There's not many games where the writing isn't carried by the sex appeal, Being a Dik is an even rarer game with interesting side male characters. But I don't ask for more because it's a hard thing for devs to deliver and could be a lot of work for things people don't really care about. The only thing I really dislike is when other male characters exist just to make the MC look good.

sexypeanut

Jun 30, 2020
Out of curiosity.. I'm looking for a game where the MC (male protagonist) isn't a douchebag/scumbag/piece of shit and doesn't treat any girl like a whore seconds next of got laid.. It's a matter of roleplay, I know, it could be a way of spice things up, I know that too, but I feel tired (really tired) about all that dirty/trash talking assuming the girl is a whore/bitch/slut/whatever and that's usual (you don't usually see the way back so the girl telling 'son of a bitch' to the MC, I only remember that situation on 'College Bound' when the MC fucks Miranda and that's because I've played the game recently).. Come to mind 'AOA Academy' or 'Hillside', on this games there's no dirty crap talking but there isn't barelly any sex scene too (specially on the second one)..
I know games like that, but most of them are 2D

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Said that, the second choice I've been really tired about could be the 'slowbuuurn' pretext, many good games could die for this attempt ('Hillside' exposed before is an example), between exposing lewd scenes right from the very beginning and the other (I mean, shows nothing update after update) should be a middle term, I suppose..
I've found Intertwined to be very good in this regard, the MC isnt really a douche and if you make douchey choices he'll comment things like "well I kinda treated them poorly :( "

krallar09

Aug 17, 2019
  1. It's very easy to fuck people. Its like hello hello come on lets fuck okey
  2. University or high school consept same no difference from others.MC is so cool so handsome and bigger dick
  3. Big boobies same face same noise same body size and everybody has a horse dick

Reactions: Orlox

Chris_Prat

May 19, 2017
  1. It's very easy to fuck people. Its like hello hello come on lets fuck okey
  2. University or high school consept same no difference from others.MC is so cool so handsome and bigger dick
  3. Big boobies same face same noise same body size and everybody has a horse dick
That's another thing too... Dicks like arms..
Many situations should be like this:
MC:"Upps, you've seen my horsey/donkey dick.. Lets fuck!"
Girl:"gg"

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
The massive dick epidemic is distressing.
Presumably its due to the author not masturbating to their own work, they're more focused on how easy it is to display it or to animate a handjob or something equally irrelevant to the end user.
Did you know all gamers are retarded, if they don't see a dick they don't know it exist. They have no object permanence.

Reactions: ChadChan3D

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
One thing that also annoys me a little, is like...

Wine.

Seriously, like in almost every AVN (especially 3D ones), the characters consume more wine than water, juice or even beer (going to the alcoholic side). Maybe because of the assets are easier or something (I don't deal with 3D assets, so I don't know batshit about this).

Seriously, in the past 2 weeks, the MC's I played consumed more wine than I consumed any alcoholic beverages my entire life (and I'm a 34 years old dude)

Network 34 Games

Developer of The Accidental Master
Game Developer
Aug 19, 2019
One thing that also annoys me a little, is like...

Wine.

Seriously, like in almost every AVN (especially 3D ones), the characters consume more wine than water, juice or even beer (going to the alcoholic side). Maybe because of the assets are easier or something (I don't deal with 3D assets, so I don't know batshit about this).

Seriously, in the past 2 weeks, the MC's I played consumed more wine than I consumed any alcoholic beverages my entire life (and I'm a 34 years old dude)
Yeah it IS an asset thing. While other beverages can be found out there. Alcoholic ones are by far the most prevelant.

Taboo-Sho

Nov 15, 2018
-MTF TF games where the male becomes female at the start, fuck off with that shit, if you want a female character JUST MAKE THE FEMALE FROM THE START! You aren't creative by just having a 'male' be a 'female slut'.

-Tedious stat sitting, Im here to play a fucking game and get some fun lewd out of it! I dont wanna have to go and take 5 showers a game day and use the bathroom 7 times a game day.

-Fem protag games thats just all straight human males fucking a girl content. I dont think I need to say much more, but devs FOR THE LOVE GOD THERE ARE ENOUGH OF THOSE! All the stories that can be told with such a setting HAVE BEEN! And pretty much in every way possible!

-faux femdom, femdom that involves treating the MC like shit. THATS NOT FEMDOM! THATS ABUSE! IM LOOKING AT YOU FEMU AND 3072 AD!

-'games' that are 10 minutes long with like 5 scenes, waste of space these often are.

ExDeath730

Jan 29, 2018
School settings.

Your answers are great. But you know what is worse than a school setting? When a University setting is made into a School Setting. Really, maybe it was for me, but my school and university life were really different. Just the freedom i had in uni was epic.

The annoying best friend syndrome is more because of writing. In games that have good writing you actually starts to care about these characters.

Forced relationships are something that i really hate. I think the most egregious one i've seen is in "Welcome to Free Will", where you're involved with a girl that already has a boyfriend but is jealous of you and acts like your girlfriend. It's really pathetic, and while the game is actually pretty decent, this seems like the worst hill the dev is trying to die on.

Usually i don't dislike MC inner monologue when it matters. But i hate when we enter other character's minds. We (usually) don't have psychic powers.

I usually have problem with the opposite. In a lot of games here, the protagonist is or a "goody two shoes" or an asshole, but that is portrayed as being a little bit better than most. I prefer guys that you can shape his character a little, like the MC of being a DIK as an example, or interesting characters like the ones in "Chasing Sunsets', "Intertwined" or "Leap of Faith".

Your second point is one i agree. It seems that there's two schools nowadays. The "slowburn" or "classic" school, and the more modern "sex scene in the realease of the game (even if basically forced)" school. The first one is how it was mostly done in the past, but it's really unnatural. That's just not how shit goes down in real life.
The second one is bad when it takes away the freedom of the player. Usually being a meaningless one night stand just to show the dev can animate something, or a sex scene with the forced relationship character. "Intertwined" actually does a good job in this, since while it does have the possibility of a sex scene right at the start, you can easily not go through with it and there's an entire route if you do.

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
Continuing my airing of grievances in AVN's (hope to get a Festivus tree this year), one thing that I kinda hate is forced 180ºs of a character without a choice, like for example, in a novel, because of the author wanna be cool/edgy, suddenly the MC wants to smoke weed/do drugs. The drugs situation hits close to home on me because I lost many family members and friends to drug related issues. If presented with proper context and choices, it's fine, but when it's forced, it's just lazy writing.

Sandboxes in general are mostly no-no's for me because of the eternal grinding cycle, same goes for the Akabur-esque training games.