Things you're tired of seeing in a game?

Parthornax

Feb 5, 2018
-Free-roaming. I cant stand free roam. Its just desperately wondering around seeking out the next scene.
And if they add a "time of day" system to the mix, then its a complete nightmare. Because now I have to roam around like a lost lamb over and over again at different times of the day.

-Too many tags. I've seen a lot of games with a whole bunch of tags and the majority of those tags are for just one single scene maybe 2. Its disingenuous. They do this only for the sake of ticking boxes so they can lure in patreon supporters. Game devs should focus on 3 main fetishes that will serve as the foundation for their game. EDIT: All tags, even if its for one measly scene, must be added because that's the F95 Policy. This is done to help people avoid bonner killing triggers that some people have. What i should have said was "Too many fetishes" Many games try to do to many fetishes and end up having subpar content and it results in infighting within their fandom. They fight over what they want to see and what they dont.

-Random battle encounters. Im trying to masturbate! DO YOU MIND!?

-Main story abandonment. A LOT of games here have been in development for years and their main story has made almost no progress. Basically keeping the game in limbo for as long as possible so they can milk the patreon supporters dry.

-Smaller games please. Its better to have 2 hour long game that is a blast, then a game that's 6 hours long that got boring and tedious.

-Gallerys: Have them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vollezar

grohotor

May 15, 2020
This x1000. The corollary that always bothers me is if and when the mc and love interest agree that they're madly into each other, they'll kiss and then say something like "I need to control my lust"..... you're a bf/gf, thats not lewd, this isnt anime, normally that period of the relationship IS a fuckathon.
Holding vaginal sex hostage is the big one. Sex is a normal part of adult relationships so i don't know why so many girls in VNs hold out for so long, especially when they clearly want it. Kylee from Heart Problems is one of the biggest offenders of this. I'm all for slow burn and realistic relationships this just isn't realistic. I've never met a girl that's willing to give a blowjob but not have sex.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'l add to this with the handjob. You wont ever get just a handjob. she either wants to have sex and you get a bit of handjob before moving to something else or she's not interested and you get nothing. This whole handjob to boobjob/blowjob to thighjob and then finally sex is such a meme at this point.

Fake choice conversation menu:

1. Ask her about the car
2. Ask her about school
3. Tell her you're going away
4. Goodbye

Only option #4 (Goodbye) doesn't appear until you went through options 1 to 3.

In other words, there's no real choice when the player must go through all the conversation "options" in order to move the plot forward.
this is done to avoid awkward transitions between dialogues. Same as in sandbox games. Having a naturally flowing conversation and scene transitions are difficult so they circumvent the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: hysepReC

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I'l add to this with the handjob. You wont ever get just a handjob. she either wants to have sex and you get a bit of handjob before moving to something else or she's not interested and you get nothing. This whole handjob to boobjob/blowjob to thighjob and then finally sex is such a meme at this point.

this is done to avoid awkward transitions between dialogues. Same as in sandbox games. Having a naturally flowing conversation and scene transitions are difficult so they circumvent the problem.
There are situations where this type of dialogue makes sense. If it's an actual Q&A session within the story, this type of dialogue will fit. For example, interviews and interrogations can use this approach. It also makes sense for an early convo during a first date between parties that don't know each other (from dating apps or whatever). It doesn't actually achieve anything other than letting players self insert a bit more, but if it's in the right context, it won't detract from the actual dialogue.

The problem is that Q&A sessions are not natural spoken dialogue in normal social settings. Like if you meet a girl naturally in the wild, the dialogue would generally flow much more naturally than having an impromptu Q&A session. By using this Q&A approach in wrong places, you sacrifice the natural flow of a conversation for whatever small effect the dev wanted to have with it.

It's really no surprise though. The vast majority of devs, even popular and successful ones, can't really write natural conversations that resembles spoken dialogue.

Reactions: grohotor

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
-Too many tags. I've seen a lot of games with a whole bunch of tags and the majority of those tags are for just one single scene maybe 2. Its disingenuous. They do this only for the sake of ticking boxes so they can lure in patreon supporters. Game devs should focus on 3 main fetishes that will serve as the foundation for their game.
To play devil's advocate, most tags here are used more as a warning, than an indicator of major content. Just an scene with two guys kissing -> Gay tag. I know, I don't like it either, but it is what it is. My game has a shitload of tags because this.

Network 34 Games

Developer of The Accidental Master
Game Developer
Aug 19, 2019
To play devil's advocate, most tags here are used more as a warning, than an indicator of major content. Just an scene with two guys kissing -> Gay tag. I know, I don't like it either, but it is what it is. My game has a shitload of tags because this.
Fair point. and probably for another topic but, the way I see it. if you have 2 sisters involved in a threesome with the MC, does that necessitate an incest tag, etc? personally, I don;t know the answer to that, so for the sake of safety, would include the tag anyway.

Reactions: Rafster

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
if you have 2 sisters involved in a threesome with the MC, does that necessitate an incest tag, etc? personally, I don;t know the answer to that, so for the sake of safety, would include the tag anyway.
Technically, if the girls touch or kiss, the incest tag wouldn't go in. But it's 99.9999% sure that they do more than just kissing, so yeah, the tag is correct, even for one scene.

Kinda like the MMF threesomes and the gay tag. If the guys don't touch at any moment, it's not gay (I may argue but...)

Parthornax

Feb 5, 2018
When you put it like that i guess it does make sense...

I guess I never thought of it like that because i have very few triggers.

yesz

Jul 11, 2019
stiff cinematography; rigid scenes, poor lighting,
narratives around telling-not-showing
im sure ill come up with the rest

ruziy

Feb 15, 2019
For me, the biggest pet peeve is that most MC's seem to have somehow managed to get to the age of 18+ and have ZERO life experience, utterly clueless that a girl is flirting with them and being led by the balls by the main LI. Seriously people.. if you're 18 the only reason you'd be that clueless would be if you had been raised by wolves or something, and even then you'd have SOME sort of idea.
Well... Reality is unrealistic(q) And these "some ideas" can be shattered by painful failures of previous experience.

Reactions: Diconica

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
Well, I have some things that kinda annoys me in a game:

Avengeful bitchy ex: I know and understand that break-up's can leave some bitterness and scars for both sides, but not to the extent of vengeance. It's too much easy of a escapegoat for plot convenience, easy to make an antagonist of a ex-girl/boyfriend.

Every girl is in love with MC: Just feel like I didn't earn the love of the girl. Of course, when harem is a option, I would go, but it gets boring when every girl in the game is just waiting for my schween.

Every other male character is an asshole: It looks like this just to make the MC looks better, even when he also does some questionable things.

ExDeath730

Jan 29, 2018
Well, I have some things that kinda annoys me in a game:

Avengeful bitchy ex: I know and understand that break-up's can leave some bitterness and scars for both sides, but not to the extent of vengeance. It's too much easy of a escapegoat for plot convenience, easy to make an antagonist of a ex-girl/boyfriend.

Every girl is in love with MC: Just feel like I didn't earn the love of the girl. Of course, when harem is a option, I would go, but it gets boring when every girl in the game is just waiting for my schween.

Every other male character is an asshole: It looks like this just to make the MC looks better, even when he also does some questionable things.
I need to play devil's advocate for the first one. Because i have a friend that she is a really cool girl... As a friend, but the girl hates every ex she has and loves to do shit to spite them. So, there is vindictive people that don't even show it to people not in their crosshairs. Most people are not really too sane, and there's people that can't take the ending of a relationship well, even if they're the party at fault.

The second one is really bad and most Harem games make it really egregious. One of the problems is that if any potential LI can have another love interest that isn't the MC we know what happens. Most devs go for the safe route, even if it doesn't make sense.

The third one is one i consider really lazy writing as well.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i gotta go with tags on games that don't belong ... i.e. WVM list incest when its not ... a shit ton of games tagged rape .. and none exists .. i mean , i realize game makers want alot of various people to play their games ... and false tagging will help that out .. but still sucks :unsure:

• Sad
Reactions: Ambir

Network 34 Games

Developer of The Accidental Master
Game Developer
Aug 19, 2019
i gotta go with tags on games that don't belong ... i.e. WVM list incest when its not ... a shit ton of games tagged rape .. and none exists .. i mean , i realize game makers want alot of various people to play their games ... and false tagging will help that out .. but still sucks :unsure:
I'll use the example of 2 sisters being involved in a threesome with the MC. in a technical way that would be incest. now.. as a Dev, do you tag it as such or not?

it's a tough call, so often better to be safe than sorry.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Not seeing the incest tag on WVM... and whenever you see a game using a tag of content not present in it make sure to report and they will remove the tag because that's now allowed. Per rules tags can only be used when that content is present.

Just make sure to read what each tag means because there are some exceptions, like anal sex is already valid for toys or similar.

Losersriot

Jul 7, 2021
0) ALL the women in the game are lesbians.
1) No guy loves you or will love you. Only rough sex.
2) Obligatory husband/boyfriend. You CANNOT be divorced.
3) Your best friend - slut.
4) Mandatory: an old man, a bum, a principal, a nerd, your son, a school bully and a black man.
5) Don't expect gifts, restaurants, kisses. He just pulls out his penis and makes you suck it.
6) Blackmailer.
7) Fitness/Yoga/Jogging.

Reactions: Ophanim

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
Not seeing the incest tag on WVM... and whenever you see a game using a tag of content not present in it make sure to report and they will remove the tag because that's now allowed. Per rules tags can only be used when that content is present.

Just make sure to read what each tag means because there are some exceptions, like anal sex is already valid for toys or similar.
its not tagged as incest ... but when you do a search for it under the incest tag ... its there

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
I'll use the example of 2 sisters being involved in a threesome with the MC. in a technical way that would be incest. now.. as a Dev, do you tag it as such or not?

it's a tough call, so often better to be safe than sorry.
you seem to misunderstand what i've posted :unsure: