4.50 star(s) 57 Votes

3DRComics

Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
Optional content is meaningless to me - I simply dont try games with certain tags because I dont know how much the game focuses on the tags I dislike. For example you could have 90% of every update be focused on ntr and make it 'optional'. It is simply not worth waiting for updates or supporting a game where I like only 10% of what each update has to offer. There are a ton of different games to try out - if I see there is ntr, I simply skip without even trying because there are other games without those tags that I have not played that I am more likely to enjoy instead. I sometimes miss out on some great games but I think thats fine. As for your analogy about halfway house - sure I like the game but I do not support it personally because I dont think the game is going to end emily is cute but is that enough for me to want to support it over other games I like given my limited budget? The answer is no.

As for devs using commissions to upgrade - sure they can work faster but they can also keep spending more time working on things I dislike. I dont know the dev personally and if they have done something I dislike in the past how do I know they will not do it again? Also why should I support that dev when there are so many other devs to support? I would personally just see the dev is going in a direction I dislike, put the game on ignore and move on.

I am not criticizing you for taking this commission - you are doing this for a living and if you think this is the right move for you then you should keep doing it. If you think adding NTR to the main game is better for you financially then dont let me or anyone else stop you from doing it. And dont feel the need to defend your opinions here - its your game do what you want. I made this post simply because I disagree with many of your arguments. Like I mentioned in the edits to my previous posts - I may be biased because of my personal opinions and I may be completely wrong.
Well I do respect your thoughts on the subject.
When I started this project I wasn't sure what to expect, but was overwhelmed with the response I got, both here and on itch, to the point I quit my 75k a year job to pursue this because I love doing this and this is what I WANT to do, and I have a supportive girlfriend who is kind enough to work extra to offset this transition.

But money was tight, Things were moving slower then I wanted in terms of subscribers and progress on the story, and I got offered this commission and my first thought, was faster cards to render with. So I took it.
Released day 3 and the side story. got a nice jump in subscribers, sales on itch from the side story, plus the commission payment, and I upgraded.
and because of that progress on day 4 is moving along great, to the point I will be releasing the first half of day 4 to subscribers between the 14th and 21st of this month.
its taken my dev time from 3 months to a month/month and a half.
So yes, at the time, I feel taking that commission, and releasing it was the best play for me and the people enjoying the story.

Simulacrum29

Apr 20, 2018
Not playing or supporting a game because of one tag that can be avoided entirely, is like saying I won't play or support Halfway House because I don't like Samantha, and I cant avoid her, But I love that game because Emily is fucking cute.
Well, I dropped games for LIs and/or fetishes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Internet is so full of content. Even if I would stop everything else and devote all my time 24/7 to watching Movies, Shows while playing games simultaneously, I couldn't finish all of it in my lifetime. And every day new content is created.
So why should I invest my time in something I don't enjoy?
Sometimes I drop games I love just because something new gets released, sometimes because the UI or a minuscule game mechanic sucks. And I don't talk about VNs that happens with AAA games where I paid 100€.
I have no time for games that I don't enjoy. For AVNs that can be as simple as featuring a fetish I don't like and that's it.

For Patreons some unexpected changes in the direction or tone of the game are even worse.
Because of the patronage a consumer is psychologically more involved with the game development. As if you bought a finished product. If a Dev I support, would do something like that without communicating that step first and giving me time to pull out, I would feel betrayed. That Dev would get a one-way ticket to my virtual Blacklist and I would never support him again.
That's just imho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Optional content is meaningless to me - I simply dont try games with certain tags because I dont know how much the game focuses on the tags I dislike. For example you could have 90% of every update be focused on ntr and make it 'optional'. It is simply not worth waiting for updates or supporting a game where I like only 10% of what each update has to offer. There are a ton of different games to try out - if I see there is ntr, I simply skip without even trying because there are other games without those tags that I have not played that I am more likely to enjoy instead. I sometimes miss out on some great games but I think thats fine. As for your analogy about halfway house - sure I like the game but I do not support it personally because I dont think the game is going to end. Emily is cute but is that enough for me to want to support it over other games I like and that I think have a clear sense of direction + regular update cycles given my limited budget? The answer is no. The same thought processes can be applied to fetishes as well. If a game has a fetish I hate, it does not matter how well the other paths are at least I personally am very unlikely to support it because there are many other games I could be supporting instead - it is not the only game in the world (I do support a couple of games with tags/fetishes I dislike such as Pale Carnations but they are definitely exceptions).

As for devs using commissions to upgrade - sure they can work faster but they can also keep spending more time working on things I dislike. I dont know the dev personally and if they have done something I dislike in the past how do I know they will not do it again? Also why should I support that dev when there are so many other devs to support? I would personally just see the dev is going in a direction I dislike, put the game on ignore and move on.

I am not criticizing you for taking this commission - you are doing this for a living and if you think this is the right move for you then you should keep doing it. If you think adding NTR to the main game is better for you financially then dont let me or anyone else stop you from doing it. And dont feel the need to defend your opinions here - its your game do what you want. I made this post simply because I disagree with many of your arguments. Like I mentioned in the edits to my previous posts - I may be biased because of my personal opinions and I may be completely wrong.
I could add to this that it also changes my views of characters and wanting to interact with them and how. NTR does weaken a story that is meant to be about romance as well even if the NTR is completely avoidable, since it does need characters that are willing to fall for it and though some people love victims for others like me they are a turnoff especially if they do not learn from being abused by an asshole and stay that way.

Every dev should make the game they want, but also be aware that what they make and include has an impact on how their game and chars in it are seen. There are no neutral fetishes (NTR together with harder femdom belonging to the more controversial ones for good reasons) and all you add has an impact even in a separate download since people do learn about it.
There is no good or bad about this, just do not expect to curry any favor from those who do not like that content or to accept it without consequences (which may even be positive for dev, though if attract those fans they also want enough of the content they like or get disappointed as well ). Some genres just do not mix for a lot of players, if they are not your target that is fine. If they were though one has to choose a a dev, because those will walk away and look for something that is more up their alley, let alone support someone. You cannot make everyone happy, so never try as a dev but be sure to know whom you want to make your game for if also want to be commercial.

3DRComics

Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
primeumaton
0.03.90MF
(0)Full version, will remain 0 till completed. (03)Completed Day (90) Code/UI version. (MF) Male and Female routes.
:)

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
Just my 2 cents on the whole ntr side story stuff. As much as I hate NTR as long as it's not it the main game, and as long as it's not supposed to be canon (I don't know if it's canon or not I am lazy and didn't read the whole thread :LUL:), I don't really care that much. I don't think I would even care if it was in the main game but was avoidable. As long as the player has the choice to make it not happen it's not something that bothers me too much. Of course I would always prefer if there was no NTR at all. But people freak out way too much about it.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
The reason I ask, as a defense for myself, and other devs in similar situations.

You're an independent developer, working on a game that you are currently giving away for free, in hopes to once their is enough content you can release on steam, you are surviving on the kindness of people that support your game and what you are doing to give you a few dollars when they can.

One of you're supporters comes to you, says hey i can offer you $$$$ to do this, but it contains NTR.
and the "Majority" as you put it, offers you nothing, to not do it.

As a dev you are like hmm.. I could easily the take money and upgrade my system with it so you can work on your main story faster.
90% of the time you are going to do it.

But why release it publicly? You will piss off the "Majority".
Because you can make another $$$$ if you sell it for $5 so you can buy another video card.

The "Majority" will be mad, but you won't loose any subscribers, actually you will gain subscribers, and you can continue working on the main game, for apparently the "Minority."

Theirs some people here I am actually disappointed got upset because of it.

But in reality, The Majority either don't give a shit either way, or they like NTR, or they read the disclaimer and didn't play the side story as its not in the base game at all.

Yes all that may come off as kind of dickish, but that statement bothered me, not just for myself but for other devs.
You can't get mad at a dev for funding his game with side content that not everyone will like, when they don't get offered money to NOT do it.
Shit in one hand, wish in the other.
Personally, if I really like a game and it has avoidable NTR, or the developer has made another game with a side story with NTR, I will never subscribe. Conversely, if the game has no NTR (and no side story with NTR) I'm likely to subscribe. But that's me, maybe others think differently.

How much are you willing to pay to not have NTR?
If I like the game enough, 10 to 20 euros per month. Because if I like it enough and it has NTR, it will be 0 euros per month.

3DRComics

Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
Personally, if I really like a game and it has avoidable NTR, or the developer has made another game with a side story with NTR, I will never subscribe. Conversely, if the game has no NTR (and no side story with NTR) I'm likely to subscribe. But that's me, maybe others think differently.

If I like the game enough, 10 to 20 euros per month. Because if I like it enough and it has NTR, it will be 0 euros per month.
You say this but you weren't.. and that's the point..
I was being payed nothing to NOT do an NTR story, got payed 120 to 240 times what you might have offered me to NOT do it, to do it. Just made $10 while typing this, from that side story.

and that's my point, the people who have an issue with it, weren't supporting me, a few are complaining and haven't even played my game. and one guy said he would be upset if something changed in a game that wasn't supported by his supporters. Everything I do beyond my original concept, is publicly voted by my supporters.

As a developer you go where the money IS, not where it might be.
Again.
Shit in one hand, Wish in the other.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I was being payed nothing to NOT do an NTR story, got payed 120 to 240 times what you might have offered me to NOT do it, to do it. Just made $10 while typing this, from that side story.

and that's my point, the people who have an issue with it, weren't supporting me, a few are complaining and haven't even played my game. and one guy said he would be upset if something changed in a game that wasn't supported by his supporters. Everything I do beyond my original concept, is publicly voted by my supporters.

Again.
Sorry if this has already been answered but I am just trying to get some clarification. Is the side story supposed to be canon? Because if it's not canon and the people that are supporting you voted for it. I don't really see a reason for people to complain here.

3DRComics

Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
Sorry if this has already been answered but I am just trying to get some clarification. Is the side story supposed to be canon? Because if it's not canon and the people that are supporting you voted for it. I don't really see a reason for people to complain here.
it was not canon no, and not even in the game., its more of a " what if " situation, it was originally comissioned and then released public for a fee and to subscribers, It has allowed me to upgrade my system to work on the main story faster, which was the entire point of me accepting it.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
it was not canon no, and not even in the game., its more of a " what if " situation, it was originally comissioned and then released public for a fee and to subscribers, It has allowed me to upgrade my system to work on the main story faster, which was the entire point of me accepting it.
Yeah then I really don't see the point in complaining. This comment will probably get facepalmed to death. But like I said in another post if it's not canon and not even part of the main game/story, it's kind of silly to complain about it. If you don't like NTR you just have to not play the side story.

3DRComics

Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
Yeah then I really don't see the point in complaining. This comment will probably get facepalmed to death. But like I said in another post if it's not canon and not even part of the main game/story, it's kind of silly to complain about it. If you don't like NTR you just have to not play the side story.
I see why other devs warned me to argue this point...

:oops:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018

and that's my point, the people who have an issue with it, weren't supporting me, a few are complaning and haven't even played my game. and one guy said he would be upset if something changed in a game that wasn't supported by his supports. Everything I do beyond my original concept, is publicly voted by my supporters.

Again.
True, but in the long term game it is not always wise to go for the money now if it would diminish the total revenue over time. Problem is you will never know now since you made another choice. People do have their reasons to wait to start supporting a new dev and these kind of unexpected bought side stories and many abandoned games are partly responsible for those reasons unfortunately. :p It is your choice you made and fair enough for your reasons and it will have consequences both good and bad. You took the quick money, but that will likely diminish your long term potential player base, but can give you a very loyal niche player base that will be faster to support for their niche as the more vanilla players. :)

For you as a dev you will now have to decide what you do with impact on main game and how that char in side story is now seen. ) Edit: Even without playing it just from this forum people will have an idea what happened in it, internet is a boon and a harm :)) She is no longer sweet and innocent to at least part of those who have seen it or played it (at best sweet still or hot :p ), so either ramp up her story and make it way faster even if you gave up her first scene to other as the MC in your main game, diminish her role in the game or go full on NTR and go for that money with the game or even keep exactly as planned knowing part of that base may have lost some interest. You can not undo what you did and it has consequences for that character and how she is perceived. Some will not mind too much since not on main game for others it is already to late and those will never be happy again. Just do not try to make everyone happy.

I wish you luck with your game and success.

Last edited:

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I think the concern for a lot of the vanilla players is that you will eventually add NTR to the game. Even if it's avoidable, most of the vanilla players seem avoid playing a game with that tag.

3DRComics

Game Developer
Mar 13, 2022
True, but in the long term game it is not always wise to go for the money now if it would diminish the total revenue over time. Problem is you will never know now since you made another choice. People do have their reasons to wait to start supporting a new dev and these kind of unexpected bought side stories and many abandoned games are partly responsible for those reasons unfortunately. :p It is your choice you made and fair enough for your reasons and it will have consequences both good and bad. You took the quick money, but that will likely diminish your long term potential player base, but can give you a very loyal niche player base that will be faster to support for their niche as the more vanilla players. :)

For you as a dev you will now have to decide what you do with impact on main game and how that char in side story is now seen. ) Edit: Even without playing it just from this forum people will have an idea what happened in it, internet is a boon and a harm :)) She is no longer sweet and innocent to at least part of those who have seen it or played it (at best sweet still or hot :p ), so either ramp up her story and make it way faster even if you gave up her first scene to other as the MC in your main game, diminish her role in the game or go full on NTR and go for that money with the game or even keep exactly as planned knowing part of that base may have lost some interest. You can not undo what you did and it has consequences for that character. Some will not mind too much since not on main game for others it is already to late and those will never be happy again. Just do not try to make everyone happy.

I wish you luck with your game and success.
Technically all this already exists anyways, This story came from a comic about kayla..
So not wanting to see a character in a game do something with some one else is a null point anyways. it started that way.

Simulacrum29

Apr 20, 2018
Technically all this already exists anyways, This story came from a comic about kayla..
So not wanting to see a character in a game do something with some one else is a null point anyways. it started that way.
So embrace NTR and run with it. I don't know why you feel the need to argue about it. It is your game.

Reactions: Epicuren and DA22

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
As simulacrum29 said, do what you wish. There is nothing wrong with NTR genre in itself, just it has consequences on how chars are setup and perceived to make the NTR possible that has an impact on rest of game. Some love that, others do not mind and others hate it, personally for me I found over time I do not tend to enjoy games that mix NTR and romance and one of two paths at least turns out underwhelming even if avoidable and chars tend to have very little actual personality but are more vehicles for the fetish on the path, but that is just me. Others think differently.

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 57 Votes