Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
While we're all waiting, just to pass the time, I was thinking it would be interesting to know what happens in the last phases of finishing an update. For example, what kind of issues are found while testing ? Is it similar problems each time, or mostly new problems ?
I think this dev team is too small to make time to create some text or video devblogs like this (could be also about the engine, the 3D modeling or the writing) but I would find it really interesting to learn what can happen while making a game like this. It's certainly stuff that you won't learn reading a Ren'Py tutorial.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
While we're all waiting, just to pass the time, I was thinking it would be interesting to know what happens in the last phases of finishing an update. For example, what kind of issues are found while testing ? Is it similar problems each time, or mostly new problems ?
I think this dev team is too small to make time to create some text or video devblogs like this (could be also about the engine, the 3D modeling or the writing) but I would find it really interesting to learn what can happen while making a game like this. It's certainly stuff that you won't learn reading a Ren'Py tutorial.
Typos in texts or commands, wrong order of images, paths not working as intended, text that needs fixing, sounds, special effects, text conditions based on paths, images that have glitches in them from rendering and needs editing like clipping clothes/hair, color mismatches, stuff like scene flow, having to add in things late, testing and editing the tasks/hints, replays for the replay menu, problems with animations are just a few things that can go wrong that you find out in testing.

Also last minute changes to code that can also cause new issues to appear in unexpected ways, some parts of the system is fairly complex and very critical.

That's just related to regular update stuff, then we also have things like new features, which is tested extensively during development but also needs extra testing when everything is in :)

/A

Feb 14, 2021
Typos in texts or commands, wrong order of images, paths not working as intended, text that needs fixing, sounds, special effects, text conditions based on paths, images that have glitches in them from rendering and needs editing like clipping clothes/hair, color mismatches, stuff like scene flow, having to add in things late, testing and editing the tasks/hints, replays for the replay menu, problems with animations are just a few things that can go wrong that you find out in testing.

Also last minute changes to code that can also cause new issues to appear in unexpected ways, some parts of the system is fairly complex and very critical.

That's just related to regular update stuff, then we also have things like new features, which is tested extensively during development but also needs extra testing when everything is in :)

/A
Do you do the testing manually or do you use some sort of TDD with unit, integration, and/or functional tests?

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Do you do the testing manually or do you use some sort of TDD with unit, integration, and/or functional tests?
Well to test the game itself it's all manual but we have some tools during dev-testing to help catch some faults, some more tools added in this version as well to help with that, for features etc I use various ways of testing but its mostly manual. The code base is very small for the game, I've rewritten so many things so many times now to make it more optimized and easier to add new features, it heavily relies on configuration, and working as as few hardcoded things as possible. The whole code base for VNGINE in itself is like 3000 lines of code with a few hundred lines of configuration but then when you factor in the scenes with dialogue and all that it's tens upon tens of thousands of configuration lines :p

MoneyNutz

Feb 2, 2018
Well to test the game itself it's all manual but we have some tools during dev-testing to help catch some faults, some more tools added in this version as well to help with that, for features etc I use various ways of testing but its mostly manual. The code base is very small for the game, I've rewritten so many things so many times now to make it more optimized and easier to add new features, it heavily relies on configuration, and working as as few hardcoded things as possible. The whole code base for VNGINE in itself is like 3000 lines of code with a few hundred lines of configuration but then when you factor in the scenes with dialogue and all that it's tens upon tens of thousands of configuration lines :p
I have so much respect for the hard both Motkeyz and you put into this game. I'm proud to support you both on patreon. Keep up the hard work and great communication. Can't wait to see the finished product in the coming days or maybe hours

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
I have so much respect for the hard both Motkeyz and you put into this game. I'm proud to support you both on patreon. Keep up the hard work and great communication. Can't wait to see the finished product in the coming days or maybe hours
Thank you so much!

Don't forget cold_arctus as well He's been working his ass off to make this release possible too standing in with the writing :D Thank you! And its not days, maybe not even hours ;)

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Yeah this was a huge one... It's like two releases in one and the amount of work and improvements is immense, which makes up for the longer development time! I really hope you guys will enjoy it and support our future development. I know it doesnt make things easier with the ongoing pandemic, we've noticed that in many ways, even our support has dropped, but anything helps for us to keep doing this. Please check out our patreon, now we released the Platinum version of the game for our platinum tier patrons, after that in some days it will go out for Gold tier with the regular version of the game and so on.

Hope to see you all with us on our discord and hopefully on patreon too :)

Celebrations from the whole team!

/A

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
SVS are assholes, they buy our game which is not free normally, once, and then distribute it. (but at least here on f95 they don't try to cash in on our game other than ad revenue), then basically resell by asking people to pay for "premium download". SVS supports a lot of games when the update hits, just for that time, then leaves with the links and sells their service. I wish at least they could give some of the contributions to the devs fairly, like if it was a subscription based service like spotify or whatever and actually work with us.

It's one thing if you cant afford to support us, but if you support them and download our game which we get zero for, thats a different story.

Blitzen

Apr 30, 2017
SVS are assholes, they buy our game which is not free normally, once, and then distribute it. (but at least here on f95 they don't try to cash in on our game other than ad revenue), then basically resell by asking people to pay for "premium download". SVS supports a lot of games when the update hits, just for that time, then leaves with the links and sells their service. I wish at least they could give some of the contributions to the devs fairly, like if it was a subscription based service like spotify or whatever and actually work with us.

It's one thing if you cant afford to support us, but if you support them and download our game which we get zero for, thats a different story.
Whats even more crazy is that they pay 20 for your game and depends of their cut from those hosting sites they probably get it back in 5-10 downloads.

4.60 star(s) 118 Votes