3.70 star(s) 16 Votes

bigfrickingboi

Jul 31, 2020
Honestly, v.014 is really disappointing. Been really looking forward for this one, but man...

No playable features in this update. The ones from v.013 are not present here, it is just presenting the planned characters and setting up base story elements. I get wanting to rework the base mechanics to make them less grindy, but this version is essentially an absolute downgrade. If you wanna try this game out, I recommend trying the previous version 0.13.

Plus I have some gripes with the new beginning. I feel that dropping the player in with just Raven and unlocking new character interactions step-by-step is more practical. Use Raven as a tutorial and then open up the routes - that way the player gets to ease in into the gameplay and story better.

Another thing: you have the massage thing from the previous version - why not use it? I have seen some people not like the grind which I get, but just have it as an optional choice for players who want to. That way, you don't lose all the work you put into it and the more options the better, at least in my book. Plus, then you could have SOME kind of gameplay or interaction in the game, as of now v.014 really ain't worth downloading.

risquéRevolver

The Great Equalizer
Game Developer
Feb 13, 2020
No playable features in this update. The ones from v.013 are not present here, it is just presenting the planned characters and setting up base story elements. I get wanting to rework the base mechanics to make them less grindy, but this version is essentially an absolute downgrade. If you wanna try this game out, I recommend trying the previous version 0.13.
Yeah, we knew this before we released it. By v0.13, we didn't really have a solid idea of how the game would be structured or how we should be introducing content. We put a plan together for v0.14, but there wasn't enough time for us to put that content back in since we were focused on setting the groundwork for the other girls. If I could go back in time, I'd call this update v0.13-2 instead of v0.14, because it's not really a content update. It was more of a way for us to let our patrons know which way the game is headed.

Plus I have some gripes with the new beginning. I feel that dropping the player in with just Raven and unlocking new character interactions step-by-step is more practical. Use Raven as a tutorial and then open up the routes - that way the player gets to ease in into the gameplay and story better.
This is a tough one. We changed the intro because we wanted the player to be able to go to any girl they wanted right at the start. I think people will appreciate this design choice more once we're adding more late-game content since, as of right now, saves aren't compatible between versions.

But I pretty much agree that using Raven as a way to ease into the game felt more natural and a lot less overwhelming. Once the art is done, we're going to add a few more scenes to the intro sequence that will help introduce the game's mechanics a bit better. We didn't want to force anybody to spend time going through scenes and quests with girls they weren't interested in, but on the other hand, I doubt that anyone who downloads this game isn't going to be interested in Raven. This is probably something that we'll come back to.

More than likely, we'll add an optional tutorial scene at the end of the intro where the player can jump right into one of Raven's routes and have things explained to them. That way, new players can be eased into the game a bit more, while returning players will have the option to skip the intro and head straight for the new content.

I really, really appreciate this kind of criticism because, as someone who works on the game for at least 4 hours a day, I can't really get a player's perspective. Thanks a lot man, this helps a ton.

Another thing: you have the massage thing from the previous version - why not use it? I have seen some people not like the grind which I get, but just have it as an optional choice for players who want to. That way, you don't lose all the work you put into it and the more options the better, at least in my book. Plus, then you could have SOME kind of gameplay or interaction in the game, as of now v.014 really ain't worth downloading.
Like I said, we cut the scenes from v0.14 because we didn't have enough time to write them back in. The massage and couch scenes will return, though maybe not in the way you expect.

Stat-grinding...yeah, I'm honestly super conflicted about this one. I wanted to avoid making our game like Superpowered where you have to grind for literally dozens of hours to beat the game, so I figured the safe bet was to just remove stat progression entirely. Going through the same 3 or 4 conversations a dozen times just isn't fun. But now I feel like we overcorrected, so we've been trying to think of a way to add it back in. And I think we've found a way to do that without making it super boring...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

bigfrickingboi

Jul 31, 2020
First of, let me thank you for the reply, I really appreciate your direct feedback as a developer!

This is a tough one. We changed the intro because we wanted the player to be able to go to any girl they wanted right at the start. I think people will appreciate this design choice more once we're adding more late-game content since, as of right now, saves aren't compatible between versions.
[...]
More than likely, we'll add an optional tutorial scene at the end of the intro where the player can jump right into one of Raven's routes and have things explained to them. That way, new players can be eased into the game a bit more, while returning players will have the option to skip the intro and head straight for the new content.
Yeah, I got the feeling that the short introduction of the characters are just for that - setting the groundwork and showing the player the possible routes. But I feel that from a game design standpoint, hinting at the characters first and then showing them would be more effective than straight up throwing everbody at the player.
Maybe Raven and Starfire have a conversation about Jinx and Queen (e.g. the latter are on a mission and Raven and Starfire talk about who is more reliable, something like that) before they show up. Then you could have a tutorial where you can choose Raven or Starfire for the base girl of that tutorial (as they probably are the most well known girls anyway) and after that, Jinx and Queen "return" from their mission and are free to be talked to by the player.
That way, you can pace the introductions of the characters far more flexible and still hint at or straight up include every character in the first few minutes, without needing to rush their introduction.

I really, really appreciate this kind of criticism because, as someone who works on the game for at least 4 hours a day, I can't really get a player's perspective. Thanks a lot man, this helps a ton.
I get you, I am a full stack developer myself. I hope my input can help you. This is probably the game I look forward to the most right now. I normally just lurk, but you really have something special going on with this. Props again, keep up the good work!

Stat-grinding...yeah, I'm honestly super conflicted about this one. I wanted to avoid making our game like Superpowered where you have to grind for literally dozens of hours to beat the game, so I figured the safe bet was to just remove stat progression entirely. Going through the same 3 or 4 conversations a dozen times just isn't fun. But now I feel like we overcorrected, so we've been trying to think of a way to add it back in. And I think we've found a way to do that without making it super boring...
Grinding is a double-edged sword. It can be fun and even the main point of a game, but I agree, you really need a good game loop and accomplishing rewards for it to be worth it. I liked the massage-sections of v.013 because they were fairly interactive for a VN (especially at this early of a version) and kinda remind me of JSK Studio gameplay, which I have a soft spot for. I think interaction in these games is king - the more options and variations, the better.
And if somebody doesn't like an optional interaction, they can just skip it. Reward the players that like to actually play content without punishing players that want to skip content and everybody wins.

Edit:
Concentrating your efforts on one or two girls could streamline the development. Implement and prototype for one girl, see what sticks and what does not and then just extend that to the other girls with variations.
Gleeming from rule34 and their hits, you can somewhat judge the popularity: Raven (+8,8k), Starfire (+5,3k) and Jinx (+1,2k). You could also check with your patreons for their most popular girl. Depending on the choice, starting with implementation of features for that girl probably is a smart move.

Last edited:

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Raven is the perfect character to ease into this game ...
1-st and foremost, her dad a god will literally kill you if you push her,
so she is safe from any harm.
2-nd and powerful is the fact she is the second coming of a literal god, so power limitless,
meaning all the kinks and then some, she will be able to do and could teach you in a heart beat.
3-rd and maningful, she is keeping to herself, so corruption / romance is slooOOOOooow!
4-th and interesting - she is a book worm, a sorceress hell bent on learning skills and spells,
so quality time with her is anything inticind enough to beat prying one more page in
endless spell catalogues, so you could have just about any kind of fun to ease up to her.

New version out.
Yeah, we knew this before we released it. By v0.13, we didn't really have a solid idea of how the game would be structured or how we should be introducing content. We put a plan together for v0.14, but there wasn't enough time for us to put that content back in since we were focused on setting the groundwork for the other girls. If I could go back in time, I'd call this update v0.13-2 instead of v0.14, because it's not really a content update. It was more of a way for us to let our patrons know which way the game is headed.

But I pretty much agree that using Raven as a way to ease into the game felt more natural and a lot less overwhelming. Once the art is done, we're going to add a few more scenes to the intro sequence that will help introduce the game's mechanics a bit better. We didn't want to force anybody to spend time going through scenes and quests with girls they weren't interested in, but on the other hand, I doubt that anyone who downloads this game isn't going to be interested in Raven. This is probably something that we'll come back to.

Like I said, we cut the scenes from v0.14 because we didn't have enough time to write them back in. The massage and couch scenes will return, though maybe not in the way you expect.

any quick guide to progress?
Yup .. ver. 13 is the most advanced and rich in scenes and interactions so ...
Game oN!

Psyside

Jun 30, 2017
So any fuck clue what ur suppoused to do ? Cos all i did is Raven inspection after that i clicked everywhere nothing

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
PLease read the last page ... v13 is the most scene rich version.

hol up, v14 is just a new start? Oh man
So any fuck clue what ur suppoused to do ? Cos all i did is Raven inspection after that i clicked everywhere nothing
you should cut all the images of the raven message scene from the first post if they've been axed and are completely inaccessible

Dev forgot to put all those juicy scenes back into v14 ... so yeah .. we are waitin” on v15,
once we finish v13.

Reactions: Daveck
3.70 star(s) 16 Votes