Unity Titans University [v0.1.8] [TitansU]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

SavageKing

Feb 10, 2018
Hey! Right now Raven is the only character in the game, she's my "testbed" character where I'm setting up a couple starting systems with her first. I have some models pretty much complete for the game but there's still a couple mechanics holding them back.

I'm actually getting relatively close feature-wise, update 0.2 is going to be the introduction of the new characters (0.3 for the next one and so on until feature complete at 1.0).
Cool Thanks for responding to me, Alright then I will wait for atleast 0.8 or 0.9 to give the game descent try!

• Red Heart
Reactions: ExtendedSpace

Warsteel

May 26, 2017
Any way to stop dialogue from automatically flying by making me miss half the shit being said?

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Any way to stop dialogue from automatically flying by making me miss half the shit being said?
Hey, I actually do! Well not completely stop, but significantly slow down for any non-cutscene dialogue.

Above any running dialogue conversation there will be a little arrow, clicking that will show dialogue speed options.
SkipBar.PNG

I'm doing some QOL fixes for my next update so I'll add a way for it to be done in the options instead of just an active conversation.

I was planning on having the intro have its own dialogue speed options but the way I created the animations wouldn't have worked for the skipping and slowing of the cutscenes without really breaking it up. Let me know of any other QOL updates you want and I'll try and implement them!

Reactions: Warsteel and Jarul

terryeon

Aug 9, 2017
I tried this back when it first came out as I hate unity games mostly. But some, battletech, can be next level amazing so I do get curious. I have to admit this is slowly getting better and I am looking forward to your progress but it does have some issues that need addressed.

1. VSync must ALWAYS be an on/off option in settings on unity. You don't include this option in settings sadly. Cheat engine's speed hack won't work without disabling vsync. It's an amazing way to tell if a game is designed to run too slowly to get the perfect speed. As a dev, that can be useful for testing reasons. As a player, it solves the problem with the dev not having the same pace as you.

2. The UI is designed with a fade/camera movement/ect design. It causes some issues at times like dismissing raven, you somehow keep the UI up for her as you click faster than the game moves, then she returns, and then the UI gets weird. You're farther along to make a very clean interface as if it was made on renpy. Adding animations to the character for a background effect instead and instantly calling up the UI without camera movement or fading can resolve issues that will come up and make the gameplay less grindy/slow feeling. Those kind of designs are clean, they often prevent bugs, and you can set the animation to run separately from the UI change so even an issue with animation results in the game running fine.

3. Settings for text speed needs added or redone. You have this thing during the intro that shows "slow/medium/fast/skip" and it doesn't effect anything that I could tell but I left it on skip and the dialog once you call raven in will result in skipping through it all when she speaks. You should switch to the default type of text speed effecting how quickly it types out (slow/medium/fast/instant) and your current "auto-text" speed or whatever it is can remake the same, though I'd add a reset between scenes to prevent that skipping issue or just remove skip and use fast as max. I'd also suggest moving this into the settings window so a player can actually find the option again.

4. The UI when you call raven in can bug with dialog being blocked given it displays on the bottom for Mr T and top for raven. I'd adjust the location of these two to not be under anything for when the UI might bug out. You may end up adjusting that bottom bar to be smaller to make it work/play nicer as a result. If so, consider using images for the buttons rather than text to add some fancy quality to them. I doubt you're concerned with the bar itself atm as it's a WIP on how it will end up but placements do need adjusted.

At this point, I've nothing else to offer besides opinions and that won't do you any good until you get somewhere farther as this is more of a tech demo at this point. If you, the dev, are that interested then you're welcome to message me but doubt you want that type of input this early in development. Just needed to point out those faults as they haven't changed from when I first tested this, I think. And I do personally feel that all 4 of those points need worked on sooner than later.

• Red Heart
Reactions: ExtendedSpace

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
I tried this back when it first came out as I hate unity games mostly. But some, battletech, can be next level amazing so I do get curious. I have to admit this is slowly getting better and I am looking forward to your progress but it does have some issues that need addressed.

1. VSync must ALWAYS be an on/off option in settings on unity. You don't include this option in settings sadly. Cheat engine's speed hack won't work without disabling vsync. It's an amazing way to tell if a game is designed to run too slowly to get the perfect speed. As a dev, that can be useful for testing reasons. As a player, it solves the problem with the dev not having the same pace as you.

2. The UI is designed with a fade/camera movement/ect design. It causes some issues at times like dismissing raven, you somehow keep the UI up for her as you click faster than the game moves, then she returns, and then the UI gets weird. You're farther along to make a very clean interface as if it was made on renpy. Adding animations to the character for a background effect instead and instantly calling up the UI without camera movement or fading can resolve issues that will come up and make the gameplay less grindy/slow feeling. Those kind of designs are clean, they often prevent bugs, and you can set the animation to run separately from the UI change so even an issue with animation results in the game running fine.

3. Settings for text speed needs added or redone. You have this thing during the intro that shows "slow/medium/fast/skip" and it doesn't effect anything that I could tell but I left it on skip and the dialog once you call raven in will result in skipping through it all when she speaks. You should switch to the default type of text speed effecting how quickly it types out (slow/medium/fast/instant) and your current "auto-text" speed or whatever it is can remake the same, though I'd add a reset between scenes to prevent that skipping issue or just remove skip and use fast as max. I'd also suggest moving this into the settings window so a player can actually find the option again.

4. The UI when you call raven in can bug with dialog being blocked given it displays on the bottom for Mr T and top for raven. I'd adjust the location of these two to not be under anything for when the UI might bug out. You may end up adjusting that bottom bar to be smaller to make it work/play nicer as a result. If so, consider using images for the buttons rather than text to add some fancy quality to them. I doubt you're concerned with the bar itself atm as it's a WIP on how it will end up but placements do need adjusted.

At this point, I've nothing else to offer besides opinions and that won't do you any good until you get somewhere farther as this is more of a tech demo at this point. If you, the dev, are that interested then you're welcome to message me but doubt you want that type of input this early in development. Just needed to point out those faults as they haven't changed from when I first tested this, I think. And I do personally feel that all 4 of those points need worked on sooner than later.
Thanks for this, this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for!

1. Didn't know that was a problem with vsync! I'll definitely fix that up because I can see people wanting to use that to speed up the standard time. I'm wondering if the way I did the time system will allow it though, so I'll test with that.

2. Yeah I can see how that can be an issue with the fast clicks, I'm planning on making some changes to it, do you have any good examples I can pull from for the background effect animations?

Right now I have the camera and UI tied to the end of the animations for the characters so it definitely has a chance to get caught up when an animation has an issue.

3. Yeah I'm going to work on this one too already, adding it to options. I'll be making improvements to this one like you mentioned.

4. Yep bar is getting changed since I'm adding some different stuff with this update. I'll check the sorting layers too, I was having some issues with that at times.

Thanks for that feedback, if you see anything else that I can work on just let me know. I'm taking the month off but this update will be all about background changes like that.

terryeon

Aug 9, 2017
Thanks for this, this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for!

1. Didn't know that was a problem with vsync! I'll definitely fix that up because I can see people wanting to use that to speed up the standard time. I'm wondering if the way I did the time system will allow it though, so I'll test with that.

2. Yeah I can see how that can be an issue with the fast clicks, I'm planning on making some changes to it, do you have any good examples I can pull from for the background effect animations?

Right now I have the camera and UI tied to the end of the animations for the characters so it definitely has a chance to get caught up when an animation has an issue.

3. Yeah I'm going to work on this one too already, adding it to options. I'll be making improvements to this one like you mentioned.

4. Yep bar is getting changed since I'm adding some different stuff with this update. I'll check the sorting layers too, I was having some issues with that at times.

Thanks for that feedback, if you see anything else that I can work on just let me know. I'm taking the month off but this update will be all about background changes like that.
Responding with the same numbering for easy context.

1. It effects everything so that includes time. I used this on the twist and his newer game and it even causes physics to go into overdrive. Bouncing so bad that blackeyes were being handed out for yoga/jogging/ect. But damn those sports bras are well made to handle all that and without clipping. Anyhow, I also used it to slow the minigame for testing in the latest one using a x0.1 speedup or down really and it works quite nicely (think the dev is using 16:10 and minigame can fail on 16:9 due to this). As a dev, it can be quite useful to getting that perfect feeling.

2 & 4. I honestly can't think of any games off hand but doing background animations only works really if you do things like the phone option but alter the UI to not cover that small bit on the left with Mr T and don't move the camera. Throw in a movement for him to use his phone and something like that usually looks quite nice and natural. The main issue you have now is not clearing the UI or forcing it closed and you may also have animations based on finish animation then run code rather than play animation, pause x.x seconds, run code. Also, scenes like raven entering the room should start with a, if in phone, close phone, if in management, close management, ifelse run your code. You can see that issue by waiting for raven to appear while you are currently looking at your phone when she enters. It messes up the UI.

-

I personally think the fades are too long, I'm a fan of a 0.3 second fade or instant tho not sure bout others and some fade can be nice.

idk what your end goal(s) are thus I wasn't going to say it as I think it's a placeholder but since you asked... I rather dislike the phone's design. I'd rather see the square that says "Raven" with at least a raven image (like a purple hooded vector art logo with raven on top of that) at the least. At the most, 3d model headshot only appearing in that square, freezing the animation or movement works as you can always apply her work outfit this way. Then set location below that and either have options like "Call / Watch Stream / Spy I assume at some point / text / ect" below that or have clicking the square popup a menu of options (like right clicking things does on a computer).

And I feel the wardrobe UI is a bit awkward to use. Click, options, click again to undo menu, click another option.... It feels wrong and clunky. Too many ways to go about doing it though and I'm sure you're waiting to add more clothing and setup things like physics though hence wasn't mentioning that but it isn't the most fun.

Also, some users, like myself, may enjoy save files rather than registry entries for the saves. I never like seeing more things being added to registry if it can be helped as it is a core system file.

Not sure what else I can maybe add that isn't being focused on later on rather than now. But I will say, I quite enjoyed seeing the streamer job. I hope you add more into the chat because it was quite amusing and well done. I'll have to applaud if you put so many random lines/events into just random chat BS that I could spend hours and never see it all. So maybe I should mention it so you can write down little things as time passes and just keep adding that good humor.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Responding with the same numbering for easy context.

1. It effects everything so that includes time. I used this on the twist and his newer game and it even causes physics to go into overdrive. Bouncing so bad that blackeyes were being handed out for yoga/jogging/ect. But damn those sports bras are well made to handle all that and without clipping. Anyhow, I also used it to slow the minigame for testing in the latest one using a x0.1 speedup or down really and it works quite nicely (think the dev is using 16:10 and minigame can fail on 16:9 due to this). As a dev, it can be quite useful to getting that perfect feeling.
I'll try and figure out a way to do that, I just tested with cheat engine and didn't see any changes. Never thought about using that to test, I'll have to do some refactoring!

2 & 4. I honestly can't think of any games off hand but doing background animations only works really if you do things like the phone option but alter the UI to not cover that small bit on the left with Mr T and don't move the camera. Throw in a movement for him to use his phone and something like that usually looks quite nice and natural. The main issue you have now is not clearing the UI or forcing it closed and you may also have animations based on finish animation then run code rather than play animation, pause x.x seconds, run code. Also, scenes like raven entering the room should start with a, if in phone, close phone, if in management, close management, ifelse run your code. You can see that issue by waiting for raven to appear while you are currently looking at your phone when she enters. It messes up the UI.
Gotcha, I just had the phone out when she was called, didn't catch that. I was using animation events to open/close from the animation but you can see where the pitfall is with that.

I personally think the fades are too long, I'm a fan of a 0.3 second fade or instant tho not sure bout others and some fade can be nice.
Tested out the 0.3, I'll def change them because it does make everything feel quicker!

idk what your end goal(s) are thus I wasn't going to say it as I think it's a placeholder but since you asked... I rather dislike the phone's design. I'd rather see the square that says "Raven" with at least a raven image (like a purple hooded vector art logo with raven on top of that) at the least. At the most, 3d model headshot only appearing in that square, freezing the animation or movement works as you can always apply her work outfit this way. Then set location below that and either have options like "Call / Watch Stream / Spy I assume at some point / text / ect" below that or have clicking the square popup a menu of options (like right clicking things does on a computer).
Oh I totally don't like the phone UI either, I just thought it works for now lol. I was planning on combining the girl/phone panels and making a different set of menus. I'll run through a couple iterations to see what I like. One combined one for interactions would probably work pretty well.

And I feel the wardrobe UI is a bit awkward to use. Click, options, click again to undo menu, click another option.... It feels wrong and clunky. Too many ways to go about doing it though and I'm sure you're waiting to add more clothing and setup things like physics though hence wasn't mentioning that but it isn't the most fun.
Definitely is but I don't have the capacity to update it yet. I'm thinking that might be done after I get a couple more characters in the game, and redo the clothes system entirely. Maybe I'll do a couple preset clothes options in a future update and a full blown wardrobe when I have time. This and the messaging system kinda got pushed to the back since I'm working alone on a lot of the parts.

Also, some users, like myself, may enjoy save files rather than registry entries for the saves. I never like seeing more things being added to registry if it can be helped as it is a core system file.
So for this one I'll have to check, I'm using the dialogue manager save system currently, creating my own is probably going to take a bit of time as well (I admit I'm not a good coder still, manageable but not good lol). I'll try and see if I can fit in something like that after researching.

Not sure what else I can maybe add that isn't being focused on later on rather than now. But I will say, I quite enjoyed seeing the streamer job. I hope you add more into the chat because it was quite amusing and well done. I'll have to applaud if you put so many random lines/events into just random chat BS that I could spend hours and never see it all. So maybe I should mention it so you can write down little things as time passes and just keep adding that good humor.
Glad you liked the streamer job! Yes I'm planning on adding a bunch to it still, this was supposed to be level 1 interactions with it. Once I get the emotions and horny levels to be useful the sky is the limit lol.

Jarul

Feb 8, 2018
I tried it again and still appear to be very, very WIP. I have done like 20 streams and nothing happens except giant dildo showing one time.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
I tried it again and still appear to be very, very WIP. I have done like 20 streams and nothing happens except giant dildo showing one time.
Hey! So it is randomized out of 6 events so that is technically possible... You didn't get the grabbing shirt event or handjob? In all my tests it ended with the handjob by the 4th-7th time (to make it seem more like a real live stream).

Can you let me know if you were doing anything specific in the stream? I'll test and see if something is affecting the random choices.

Jarul

Feb 8, 2018
Hey! So it is randomized out of 6 events so that is technically possible... You didn't get the grabbing shirt event or handjob? In all my tests it ended with the handjob by the 4th-7th time (to make it seem more like a real live stream).

Can you let me know if you were doing anything specific in the stream? I'll test and see if something is affecting the random choices.
Well, I get groping and shirt removed few times. Besides that I can only tip and sometimes there are options during stream to request something - panties, boobs or portal.
Maybe this is because Raven stats are low - Obedience 5, shame 94. resistance 99 and grade 106/100.

Also, few times during portal action the hand did not disappear but dialog for Raven opening portal started again - nothing after that as hand is still in the portal from previous opening.... needed to end stream after that as nothing happens afterward (hand and portal still visible but nothing going on. During that the game have not crashed, just waiting for something?).

EDIT: OK, started again and got handjob. Strange. Maybe stats were too low?

Last edited:
Reactions: rKnight

terryeon

Aug 9, 2017
I'll try and figure out a way to do that, I just tested with cheat engine and didn't see any changes. Never thought about using that to test, I'll have to do some refactoring!
I don't know of anything else that disables speed hack on unity besides vsync. Here is some free code for settings that does vsync and a few other items if it helps you do some quick testing before using or adjusting to make your own.

Glad you liked the streamer job! Yes I'm planning on adding a bunch to it still, this was supposed to be level 1 interactions with it. Once I get the emotions and horny levels to be useful the sky is the limit lol.
I thought the joy of the stream was the chat. I had a good laugh more than once cause it was silly and not too serious and had great references. I was even thinking that if you do endings, that a good one is a spoof of "nice boat" where it's just raven on a hill flying a kite in the background while you select whatever options like NG+ or something. So, being as the game is just starting out, it was less about the sexual content and more the humor to be honest. Was interesting and not generic which is sadly an issue with some devs. I do think the portal idea was quite interesting though as I wouldn't have thought of it since I'd think a portal could or would be random from raven. I'd imagine you'll come up with a lot of great content that way since using 3d assets makes the game far easier to make things for as time progresses as levels can even split apart the same animation set or add routes to it.

So for this one I'll have to check, I'm using the dialogue manager save system currently, creating my own is probably going to take a bit of time as well (I admit I'm not a good coder still, manageable but not good lol). I'll try and see if I can fit in something like that after researching.
I've never messed with unity much personally but this seems to be a good video for how you can setup loading/saving data.

Oh I totally don't like the phone UI either, I just thought it works for now lol. I was planning on combining the girl/phone panels and making a different set of menus. I'll run through a couple iterations to see what I like. One combined one for interactions would probably work pretty well.
Hopefully while testing you can take some SS or such as I'm quite curious about what you come up with. Sounds like it'd work quite well as long as the UI is responsive and easy to navigate since clicking a smart phone with a mouse and touching one with your hand aren't the same. Lot of devs make that mistake and try to make a working smart phone rather than a mix.

Insert linebreak here, coulda swore they had one on this site...

You can speed thru the streaming by tapping control over and over. It does cause issues with the portal due to animation and code if you don't let it play out but normal chat gets moved fairly fast this way. I assume that bottom bar was meant to speed it up and down but it didn't effect it. Tipping does nothing atm. Just progress chat, others tip, randomly she asks for requests that will add options to chat (either 3 or 3+2 extras) which you tip via that new option in chat. Once goal hits, portal show. Or you can click start portal show for 500 tokens.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Well, I get groping and shirt removed few times. Besides that I can only tip and sometimes there are options during stream to request something - panties, boobs or portal.
Maybe this is because Raven stats are low - Obedience 5, shame 94. resistance 99 and grade 106/100.

Also, few times during portal action the hand did not disappear but dialog for Raven opening portal started again - nothing after that as hand is still in the portal from previous opening.... needed to end stream after that as nothing happens afterward (hand and portal still visible but nothing going on. During that the game have not crashed, just waiting for something?).

EDIT: OK, started again and got handjob. Strange. Maybe stats were too low?
Sounds like the hand animation got stuck somewhere, I'll add that to my list of things to check in my next update. I used animation triggers to move to the next event so I can figure out a way to make it more consistent.

Stats shouldn't affect streamer job currently, I set it as a separate instance since I'll be adding stat and mood changes later on. I have some more anims planned with the giant cock and there's also a little one that will have some scenes.

Reactions: Jarul

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
I don't know of anything else that disables speed hack on unity besides vsync. Here is some free code for settings that does vsync and a few other items if it helps you do some quick testing before using or adjusting to make your own.
That script is GREAT. I can definitely use that to solve some options issues. Thanks a bunch for that, I was going off tons of different youtube vids for settings and not all of them were compatible. It's really difficult to find a direct good source for specific unity code.

I thought the joy of the stream was the chat. I had a good laugh more than once cause it was silly and not too serious and had great references. I was even thinking that if you do endings, that a good one is a spoof of "nice boat" where it's just raven on a hill flying a kite in the background while you select whatever options like NG+ or something. So, being as the game is just starting out, it was less about the sexual content and more the humor to be honest. Was interesting and not generic which is sadly an issue with some devs. I do think the portal idea was quite interesting though as I wouldn't have thought of it since I'd think a portal could or would be random from raven. I'd imagine you'll come up with a lot of great content that way since using 3d assets makes the game far easier to make things for as time progresses as levels can even split apart the same animation set or add routes to it.
Kiteman and Condiment King were my favorite ones to add, I wanted it to be a buddy-buddy chat with them lol. I plan on adding a ton of new chats and decoupling it from Raven's talking responses, since they can slow down random chat responses. I'll see how that looks when I test it out.

I got the portal idea from how Raven uses portals to move sometimes in Teen Titans, I have a couple different ideas for how it will progress already, along with her "control" over her powers. I have a lot of story that I want to introduce but I just haven't had a good time to just sit down and write it all out without getting overwhelmed with other things that need to be done :(

But yeah, once I get this solid baseline of the mechanics (hopefully in this planned update) then it will all come together much quicker. Just a lot of fixes to do lol.

I've never messed with unity much personally but this seems to be a good video for how you can setup loading/saving data.
I think my problem with saves was that I started with a Brackeys video, dialogue manager variables weren't getting saved, so I gave up on that and instead just had all variables saved through the dialogue manager and there's technically no "save file" other than dialogue manager variables (even the sound settings are just float variables in the manager).

I will def look into if I can make some good changes on this, this is my time for coding-specific problems

Hopefully while testing you can take some SS or such as I'm quite curious about what you come up with. Sounds like it'd work quite well as long as the UI is responsive and easy to navigate since clicking a smart phone with a mouse and touching one with your hand aren't the same. Lot of devs make that mistake and try to make a working smart phone rather than a mix.
Yes for big UI changes I'll probably make a free post on my patreon/this page to see what people like more. I'm pretty open to changes for a lot of things in the game so whatever more people like! I have a planned separate environment to add a "game" to the porn game, but I'm still working out concepts of how the UI would even get to it. I do have a bunch of models already made though.

Insert linebreak here, coulda swore they had one on this site...

You can speed thru the streaming by tapping control over and over. It does cause issues with the portal due to animation and code if you don't let it play out but normal chat gets moved fairly fast this way. I assume that bottom bar was meant to speed it up and down but it didn't effect it. Tipping does nothing atm. Just progress chat, others tip, randomly she asks for requests that will add options to chat (either 3 or 3+2 extras) which you tip via that new option in chat. Once goal hits, portal show. Or you can click start portal show for 500 tokens.
Ahhhh I thought I disabled that for the streaming scene, when I do the streaming chat separate from Raven's responses I'll fix that too. I didn't think about putting the skip on spacebar, some games made me think that ctrl is skip...

Ah ok another thing to check, when the goal is hit it's supposed to give you 3 options, with the option to start portal play without paying 500. If you choose the other 2 options it should end the stream right there. I should probably add a switch that you can't go to the same stream in the same day. Right now I figured since it was new content that it would be good to see it as much as possible.

These comments are totally helpful in picking out what I need to work on, thanks a bunch!

Reactions: terryeon

terryeon

Aug 9, 2017
Ah ok another thing to check, when the goal is hit it's supposed to give you 3 options, with the option to start portal play without paying 500. If you choose the other 2 options it should end the stream right there. I should probably add a switch that you can't go to the same stream in the same day. Right now I figured since it was new content that it would be good to see it as much as possible.
You get 3 options at the goal. Before goal you get 3 or 5, which seems random when she asks for requests. I mispoke as I was trying to go through the code, reg save data, and the game all at the same time. Even had to find a fork of AssetStudioGUI since you use a newer unity than, the now dead, official version of that software. I don't believe that anything is working incorrectly in that area. So that was my bad with too much going on at once that I didn't catch " Once goal hits, portal show. " should have been, something more along the lines of "you can do a portal show once goal hits or by hitting the button below that charges 500 tokens"

Most issues I seen were the result of you detaching it from game play, thus aren't bugs once in game (as gameplay and not a free to test at will scene), and the way you setup code for animation & chat being dependent which can cause issues if you use skip like the hand scene just getting stuck if she has no shirt on (but fixed by leaving stream) or skipping when she randomly gets up and she stays missing until you skip into her typing. Can't say anything is working incorrectly at this point. Besides maybe portal objects needing their force dropped by 10% or more as your gonna put the poor girls eye out with a kite one of these days. Hard to tell what something was without reading chat tbh. And you will want to address the job change bug that will allow you to set your way thru morning, afternoon, then night jobs and set her scheduled as work, work, work and all are streaming as it doesn't default the previous work schedule to the default.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
You get 3 options at the goal. Before goal you get 3 or 5, which seems random when she asks for requests. I mispoke as I was trying to go through the code, reg save data, and the game all at the same time. Even had to find a fork of AssetStudioGUI since you use a newer unity than, the now dead, official version of that software. I don't believe that anything is working incorrectly in that area. So that was my bad with too much going on at once that I didn't catch " Once goal hits, portal show. " should have been, something more along the lines of "you can do a portal show once goal hits or by hitting the button below that charges 500 tokens"

Most issues I seen were the result of you detaching it from game play, thus aren't bugs once in game (as gameplay and not a free to test at will scene), and the way you setup code for animation & chat being dependent which can cause issues if you use skip like the hand scene just getting stuck if she has no shirt on (but fixed by leaving stream) or skipping when she randomly gets up and she stays missing until you skip into her typing. Can't say anything is working incorrectly at this point. Besides maybe portal objects needing their force dropped by 10% or more as your gonna put the poor girls eye out with a kite one of these days. Hard to tell what something was without reading chat tbh. And you will want to address the job change bug that will allow you to set your way thru morning, afternoon, then night jobs and set her scheduled as work, work, work and all are streaming as it doesn't default the previous work schedule to the default.
If you want to see a bit of behind the scenes here's the dialogue manager conversation that runs this part of the game (for streaming and not portal play).

[var= StreamChat] is from tons of random lines pulled from code, side/bored/straight are how she is sitting and out of math.random(6) anything less than 4 will make her switch sitting positions. If greater than 4, it will start one of the dedicated chats that have their own animation sequence (Kiteman/Raven chat) and then go back into the loop to randomize again, removing that dedicated chat from the list that can be used again in this chat. I think I added enough options that they shouldn't all be hit in the same stream, since 2-4 of the chats will most likely have reached the goal by then, which gives the option to start portal play.

1704206365249.png

Portal play is a much simpler loop but there are a significant amount of animations that run from triggers each dialogue entry. I can totally see it getting caught if an animation gets skipped without fully playing through, I put several flags at the end of animations with the animation events.

1704206774974.png

Besides maybe portal objects needing their force dropped by 10% or more as your gonna put the poor girls eye out with a kite one of these days. Hard to tell what something was without reading chat tbh. And you will want to address the job change bug that will allow you to set your way thru morning, afternoon, then night jobs and set her scheduled as work, work, work and all are streaming as it doesn't default the previous work schedule to the default.
Yeah there's actually no physics going on in Unity at all, I imported the animations from Blender. It definitely caused a couple issues on import and I just had to do a curve increase when I added to Unity. I'll slow it down to normal speeds so people can pick up on what came out of the portal lol. The Kite is especially fast.

Ahhhhh ok gotcha on that work bug, added to my list as well! Yeah definitely a bit of spaghetti code I can simplify there for job schedules

• Red Heart
Reactions: terryeon

terryeon

Aug 9, 2017
If you want to see a bit of behind the scenes here's the dialogue manager conversation that runs this part of the game (for streaming and not portal play).

[var= StreamChat] is from tons of random lines pulled from code, side/bored/straight are how she is sitting and out of math.random(6) anything less than 4 will make her switch sitting positions. If greater than 4, it will start one of the dedicated chats that have their own animation sequence (Kiteman/Raven chat) and then go back into the loop to randomize again, removing that dedicated chat from the list that can be used again in this chat. I think I added enough options that they shouldn't all be hit in the same stream, since 2-4 of the chats will most likely have reached the goal by then, which gives the option to start portal play.

View attachment 3226278

Portal play is a much simpler loop but there are a significant amount of animations that run from triggers each dialogue entry. I can totally see it getting caught if an animation gets skipped without fully playing through, I put several flags at the end of animations with the animation events.

View attachment 3226295

Yeah there's actually no physics going on in Unity at all, I imported the animations from Blender. It definitely caused a couple issues on import and I just had to do a curve increase when I added to Unity. I'll slow it down to normal speeds so people can pick up on what came out of the portal lol. The Kite is especially fast.

Ahhhhh ok gotcha on that work bug, added to my list as well! Yeah definitely a bit of spaghetti code I can simplify there for job schedules
I've not used unity enough to follow that completely with certainty. I get the storyboard design but, if it isn't code, I'm not fully understanding it as I'm not sure how randomizer is doing random in that code wise. How you design random in all language can have different effects on the code itself and how it behaves. Thus lack of unity experience is making me uncertain of the design of that. No need to explain, just saying I'm a notepad kinda guy if my question sounds silly. But do you believe it'd be possible to make an animation that is just a single frame, which is the same/equal to the ending frame of animation on the random events, to add at the very end of all of those beyond the code to reset animation when skipping as 1 single frame means if it shows up it's finished. I'm curious if code after animation isn't running due to how skip works where it is trying to skip from animation, skip code between it and next animation, and then that causes a failure. If it does work, would just need to remember to remove that single 1 frame from those animations so you don't get a single animation frame doubling up (if it is noticeable at least and looks like weird lag).

In case that wasn't clear. I assume it's designed as, "Final animation before loop | code here for chat & extra | loop". If so, wondering if skip is doing the animation, skipping code, hitting loop, playing first animation but now errors stop it from playing as it skipped the code. So asking if "Final animation before loop MINUS last frame of animation | code here for chat & extra | New final animation which is that single frame taken from the animation before | loop" would resolve skip or maybe even help any future issues that may show up without having to rework everything or skip itself. Or I may be misunderstanding the code's design.

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
But do you believe it'd be possible to make an animation that is just a single frame, which is the same/equal to the ending frame of animation on the random events, to add at the very end of all of those beyond the code to reset animation when skipping as 1 single frame means if it shows up it's finished.
Yes it can be done that way in the unity animator, I can test that out and see how performant it is. I was thinking about having the animations play directly at first but it doesn't look as smooth as when you use triggers to start animations. Triggers definitely seem to get missed every now and then though, so it's a weird buggy system. I'm thinking that might just be inherent with unity animation triggers but I can try that single frame animation to see how it goes.

I'm curious if code after animation isn't running due to how skip works where it is trying to skip from animation, skip code between it and next animation, and then that causes a failure. If it does work, would just need to remember to remove that single 1 frame from those animations so you don't get a single animation frame doubling up (if it is noticeable at least and looks like weird lag).
Yes I didn't account for skip in the streaming scene at all, I had the idea that people wouldn't try skipping that one since it's like an actual chat room lol. I can actually add code triggers to account for skips, just didn't think it would be used XD

In case that wasn't clear. I assume it's designed as, "Final animation before loop | code here for chat & extra | loop". If so, wondering if skip is doing the animation, skipping code, hitting loop, playing first animation but now errors stop it from playing as it skipped the code. So asking if "Final animation before loop MINUS last frame of animation | code here for chat & extra | New final animation which is that single frame taken from the animation before | loop" would resolve skip or maybe even help any future issues that may show up without having to rework everything or skip itself. Or I may be misunderstanding the code's design.
I have a part of it detailed below (with blacked out area for text in case someone doesn't want to get spoiled convos).

So for instance with the hand not appearing, it should technically be firing from that trigger, and the arm is enabled at the very beginning of the anim so unless it's fully skipped before the first second it won't appear (which is possible if someone skips fast enough).

Ahhh does look like I missed an animation event to disable the arm after. I also didn't have a transition from boob grabbing to idle, so I'll add that. I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the freeze because it's supposed to play after the first hand event.

1704223332063.png

Reactions: seriiuo

terryeon

Aug 9, 2017
Yes it can be done that way in the unity animator, I can test that out and see how performant it is. I was thinking about having the animations play directly at first but it doesn't look as smooth as when you use triggers to start animations. Triggers definitely seem to get missed every now and then though, so it's a weird buggy system. I'm thinking that might just be inherent with unity animation triggers but I can try that single frame animation to see how it goes.

Yes I didn't account for skip in the streaming scene at all, I had the idea that people wouldn't try skipping that one since it's like an actual chat room lol. I can actually add code triggers to account for skips, just didn't think it would be used XD

I have a part of it detailed below (with blacked out area for text in case someone doesn't want to get spoiled convos).

So for instance with the hand not appearing, it should technically be firing from that trigger, and the arm is enabled at the very beginning of the anim so unless it's fully skipped before the first second it won't appear (which is possible if someone skips fast enough).

Ahhh does look like I missed an animation event to disable the arm after. I also didn't have a transition from boob grabbing to idle, so I'll add that. I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the freeze because it's supposed to play after the first hand event.

View attachment 3227133
I see how that's being done, if you have issues with random being selective, be sure to try something like setting Random.Range(1, 12) with if (PortalPlayResponse == 1) or (PortalPlayResponse == 6) { code } (I assume unity accepts that but not actually sure. If not, let me know and I'll try finding the right method)

It's a small touch that a insanely large number of people don't understand and I've had to explain before. Random on a computer isn't real random and has a slight bit of logic to it's behavior depending on the code and range. You can win contests online just by averaging out the entry rate then plan your entries within a range that is more likely to be picked after all. A bit more to it but I've won some free giftcards/credit and such this way. Also why save scumming a renpy game, or rollback if possible, that uses random can require you load so many times you start wonder if the var wasn't already set until it randomly works. Not sure if that will be an issue on this, as I've no idea how it'll play out as you add more content and the range gets larger (or if you're going to add ran 1,6 then a 2nd ran 1, 3 under 1 and so forth for each to really break it down which would probably work fine as well). But something to keep in mind as most don't realize it if you start testing and the results aren't pleasing.

As for the hand. I don't think it locked/froze the animation/code the first time. You can skip through it I believe normally. The second time (Raven without a shirt on), I believe it stops when the hand goes to grope or after when she is going to do another portal. So what you said will most likely fix the issue. That matches up to what you mention was missing. And you may not need to try that single frame if that was the issue. Only other issue I seen was skipping causing raven to not appear in her seat again until a typing animation was triggered.

And skipping is always gonna be used. I read subbed anime for so many years I can tap the right arrow for 3-5 second skips every 0.5-1 seconds to watch and have fully read an entire episode in extremely fast time. I try not to but then shows like one piece come out and should be renamed "one piece & ninety-nine recaps" that re-enforce the behavior. I am sure other users will tap that control key since it pulls up the next chat line since it acts more like an advance to next by pressing rather than skipping by holding like other games. I actually quite like it's function this way as well. So yes, some of us just can't resist speedreading.

Last edited:

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Ok, my self-imposed vacation is now over! Back to work, and I'll have a couple major systems that I'll be working on with this next update. Some details below:
- Actual stats for characters that affect gameplay and actions
- Enhancement of time system, multiple use cases of time events and activities
- Some additional story elements and framework for the next characters
- An entirely new gameplay system in addition to the main simulator gameplay loop
Preview below:

This next build is going to have an absolute ton of changes, not just behind the scenes in the code but UI-wise as well. I have a good idea for how I'm going to setup the new amount of buttons and options, and I'll also have a lot of graphic/gameplay options in the menu.

Also, say goodbye to the buttons below. Was doing a ton of research on different games with similar systems and I think I came up with a good one to try out.

More will be revealed later!

ExtendedSpace

Game Developer
Sep 14, 2017
Hey everyone! Got some systems I'm ready to show, they're all still heavy WIP but making good headway on the code and visuals. I know these aren't sex related but this should be the "Core" systems in place after this update, then it's just adding sex scenes and interactions.

First I'll show the new UI I've been working on:

So not sold on the colors or layout yet but the functionality is great as everything is now a button. Click the clock and you can change the speed of time/skip hours, click stats and there will be a stats dropdown, click on the time period to change time periods directly, etc. Works really well so far and I made a couple animations to make it look functional.

The buttons on the side are the new main buttons, top for calling/texting character, and the base management which leads me to:

The new university upgrading mechanic (heavy WIP)! You'll be able to purchase rooms to give characters activities to do, buy defenses to protect against thieves and other events, and certain surveillance systems to view events across the campus. I'm planning on having 3 floors:

- top for character rooms

- main floor for main school and campus rooms

- basement for R&D, defense systems, mission deployments

And mission deployments is the next button and topic:

You will be able to recruit mercenaries to either defend/help run Titans University or send them on missions at different locations around the world to gain specific resources.

I'm planning on having the mission system work similar to the combat deployments in MGSV (Metal Gear Solid V) or AC Brotherhood contracts, where you choose a mission, the timer runs out and you get a reward. I'm planning on having some mini narrative events in these, some funny and some serious so that will be some fun writing.

Still deciding if I want the missions to display on some 3D maps that I created or keep it a 2D style map selector, here's a quick mockup of Gotham and Themyscira:

That's all my big reveals for the week, stay posted on what's next and comment on what changes/additions you'd like to see!

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes