Wolf RPG WIP [TL Request] Two beasts or Not to Beast!! / Kinosei ハルキの最大の敵は理性 [Tokinokogiri]

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Deit1

Jul 7, 2017
iv ran into a really powerful translation program that can translate almost anything, you can use both DeepL along with the offline version,
the program offline version is somehow better then the DeepL translation in term of accuracy.

download link sources:

quick guide:

testing it on wolf-engine/unhookable games:
View attachment 1836507 View attachment 1836508 View attachment 1836509 View attachment 1836510 View attachment 1836511 View attachment 1836513 View attachment 1836593 View attachment 1836787 View attachment 1836801 View attachment 1836840

I tried that too, couldn't get it to run, even after trying for like 2hours lol.

White Bomber

May 30, 2019
I tried that too, couldn't get it to run, even after trying for like 2hours lol.
this translator program is over 2GB worth of size,
its probably a windows 10 firewall/anti-virus protection thing stopping your PC from opening it,
this crap opens countless taps+annoying commands.
1653774942200.png
also the manga translator can only work with google chrom.

Last edited:

ArdalDandorf

May 26, 2022
So, as I mentioned earlier, im currently trying to set a Git (Desktop or Fork) versioning, to see if tracking files modifs can help speed up a possibly "safe/manual" TL process

And first problem : all decrypted text files are encoded as SHIFT-JIS, and no git program i managed to run seem to display japanese text correcly, just scrap/garbage symbols, pure joy for the eyes :3333333

For now i havent managed to find any solution to either force git programs to correctly display (or convert before doing diff) shift jis files, or even mass (batch ?) convert all txt files into utf-8 encondig
(tho id prefer not doin the last one to avoid mess with code)

Here goes another row of madness -w-

Update : looks like i finally found a function to force git display shift jis files afterall xD
(*.txt text working-tree-encoding=SHIFT-JIS)
At least i can see / track the modified japanese text now >:3

Update 2 : Now git refuses to apply diff encoding to all txt files when staging/commiting because among them theres some utf-8 files
The nightmare will never end -w-#

Update 2.2 : only solution i found so far is to manually convert every single utf-8 to shift-jis to have git not go ptsd when trying to commit them for versioning
But thats exactly what im trying to avoid if update function makes decrypting Text_Script necessary, thus needing to reconvert every reluctant utf file again...
Why did they (the git team) had to make utf-8 the only encoding for git diff display, holy hell -w-###

Update 2.3 : at least git renormalize helped identify all the utf-8 files in text, but still a pain not to be automatable

Update 2.4 : OOH ! Seems like renormalize skipped / ignored unre-encodable UTFs and applied the SHIFT-JIS encoding to the commit tree O.O
Guess i got my clean base to try some handycraft translatishery now hehehe >:3cc

Update 2.5 : OK, now theres some serious level of witchcraft goin on lol
Inside SubEvents there are some JIS files that worktree-encode doesnt display right or are considered as UTFs for some reason ? oO
Luckily theres only 2 of them, so i can allow myself to deal with these manually, as long as everything can be tracked this way uwu

Update 3 : Apparently I was wrong about the update option, which i believed was to download latest version / files. Instead it just tells the player the last version is aviable on the DL site for download.
However it doesnt change much since the modifications can be tracked now.
The TL process, if running properly, will only have to add / edit the updated files.

Update 4 : As I was expecting / afraid of, there are some japanese text lines that seem neither attached to text script, nor part or image display -w-
Some game visuals, for certain text boxes or choice buttons, seem to contain text i cannot locate or find among the text/image datas.
Some examples in the very begenning : the text boxes from the save/init message, the update / tech assistant message, or the choices buttons at start when asked to skip the prologue.
Which make me suspect these ("floating strings") lying within the files that shouldnt messed with : the map files
It seems like there will have to work with Wolf Editor after all... -w-
As long as the map files can be edited, i dont care about reexporting the game, as long as the modified files do their job
For now all i can do is keeping these (manually typed) lines somewhere for later translation as long as these cant be located

Update 4.1 : Slowly finding the strings within the map events, just need to test if edited maps dont cause problems -w-

Update 4.2 : Due to some strings being hidden within certains commands and not accessible by Wolf Editor search, im currently using Dreamsavior's Translate++ to access common event data and reexport common event file, and so far it works. But holly hell, theres a lot of system text in here lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Haoss

Hodedra

May 7, 2020
wow this looks great, no news of any english translation?
Because how the game engine works, making a working English translation is HARD. Our best bet for a translation is actually waiting for official one to drop, and then make edits from there. Just look at the comment above yours to see the example of translator struggling to even work out WHERE the event texts are.

Reactions: 123DonDin

ArdalDandorf

May 26, 2022
As far as ive digged into this hell, and as well as regarding the game text structure as a whole, im already assuming the devs, unless very motivated themselves for an official TL, might end up being too lazy to translate their own game, even with Wolf Editor alone in the end xDD

Due to the system texts not having been centralized in one location like they did for text scripts. I am currently using THREE tools (Notepad++, Wolf Editor, and Translator++) to locate, access and edit text.

However the main issue, due to Wolf Editor structure, is that certains strings are either called from user database "classes/structs", arguments for common events, or even direct message strings inside the maps.
So many places to call actual text display... -w-"

I honestly understrand why Wolf is prefered over RPG Maker as a 2d game engine by a lot of japanese creators, but damn, handling text content into so many locations is pretty cursed lol

If certain event structures were more flexibles, id centralize system texts myself for the sake of smoothing a possible full TL process. Caus the way these structures nest strings makes impossible to redirect them to a file path, unless rebuilding entirely some common event structures i wont dare to touch, even if i had the time to.

What makes the thing scary is that most non map system texts are stored by only a couple of files : CommonEvent, DatBase... etc
If new version were to touch to such files, it will be extremelly difficult to track the modifs of these rigid system texts -w-

Last edited:

ArdalDandorf

May 26, 2022
Update / Note : After some digging, it seems that Translator++ can help with this task : if database files are touched.
Ill detail the process just to keep in mind / share for anyone crazy enough to follow that beaten path lol.

Translator++ can extract system data (where it found strings) into individual CSV or XLS (and even HTLM) files.
This, in addition to Git/Fork versioning (ive already set to keep track of text scripts), allows to track any modification made inside every extracted data "class/struct" file.
This adds another step to possible newer game versions update, but secures the possibility of having to track/edit system data.
(ye i tend to prepare for such nonsense caus i know how messy game makin can get -w-)

In addition, with what the game data made me go through, I can say i am now able to dig into the games content, while doing my own "translation" in real time.
Mainly in order to not lose information, intent, or even tone of the dialogues and situations (or avoid spoilers too lol), and that my own level and pace.
As this is the only way i can currently experience the game myself, as well as trying to have a working tracking method and an actual functional translation in the process.

This however, will probably be a VERY SLOW run, as my playtime is limited, and as that cluster fuck of tracking/editing programs doesnt make things easy.
So, to be clear, people should not expect me (alone) having the job done anytime soon -w-

This is why i share my findings, to confirm the proper realizability of such a huge game translation, for anyone crazy enough to dig into that hell themselves (even alone).

Caus, like this thread first messages mentions, even grouped effort of more available people will require sharing ressources, through git versionning or even a dedicated discord server for example, as well as some managing.
But such big project might end up having the game devs themselves involved in the end (mainly to give THEM a hand), just for the sake of having an official TL be brought to reality.
Caus i already feel the pain of the devs having to go throught THIS with Wolf Editor alone TwT

However, this doesnt exlude me having my own pirate translated version to share one of these days, if time and patience plays in my favor of course >:3

Last edited:

darkyUWU

Feb 20, 2021
Because how the game engine works, making a working English translation is HARD. Our best bet for a translation is actually waiting for official one to drop, and then make edits from there. Just look at the comment above yours to see the example of translator struggling to even work out WHERE the event texts are.
oh actually i was referring to an official version sorry for not making myself clear

ArdalDandorf

May 26, 2022
Btw, to give an idea / example of another level of cursed (i tested a while back) : is the space limitations in certain areas to display translated content :3

Due to our fellow japanese devs using compactable blocks of informations through the use of marvelous kanji writting :33
There are some bunch of infos sometime clustered into one window messages, that id hope would be stretchable, or duplicable, if they werent used for many instances of text display and other mundane stuff through the game :333
note : restretch these might cause some bullshit caus sometimes certain icons appear here and there, like the little "(!) INFORMATION" in the corner in this example

This example is in the very start, when chosing to skip prologue, one message just summarize the main plot.

ScreenShot_2022_0623_22_20_19.png

But damn, that solid Wolf event can only call one single string, and the english text has to fit in such little space xDD

ScreenShot_2022_0623_22_21_17.png

In this specific case, crunshing down words like using "hero" instead of "protagonist", "crush" for "the girl he likes", or "preps" for "preparations/organization" and such, was the best i could try for fan translation while trying to stay consistent with what the original text actually says uwu

ScreenShot_2022_0623_22_46_23.png

This is going back to FF6 level crunch TL kinda hell xDD

And while main story text scripts can be duplicated for extra lines withouth too much concern, these are system/map texts, and theres a lot of other examples, like in the Title > Album > Other > Achievements, or even Tiplist and so on :333

ScreenShot_2022_0623_23_00_22.png

Hodedra

May 7, 2020
Btw, to give an idea / example of another level of cursed (i tested a while back) : is the space limitations in certain areas to display translated content :3

Due to our fellow japanese devs using compactable blocks of informations through the use of marvelous kanji writting :33
There are some bunch of infos sometime clustered into one window messages, that id hope would be stretchable, or duplicable, if they werent used for many instances of text display and other mundane stuff through the game :333
note : restretch these might cause some bullshit caus sometimes certain icons appear here and there, like the little "(!) INFORMATION" in the corner in this example

This example is in the very start, when chosing to skip prologue, one message just summarize the main plot.

View attachment 1886339

But damn, that solid Wolf event can only call one single string, and the english text has to fit in such little space xDD

View attachment 1886340

In this specific case, crunshing down words like using "hero" instead of "protagonist", "crush" for "the girl he likes", or "preps" for "preparations/organization" and such, was the best i could try for fan translation while trying to stay consistent with what the original text actually says uwu

View attachment 1886341

This is going back to FF6 level crunch TL kinda hell xDD

And while main story text scripts can be duplicated for extra lines withouth too much concern, these are system/map texts, and theres a lot of other examples, like in the Title > Album > Other > Achievements, or even Tiplist and so on :333

View attachment 1886368
Source of eternal suffering for every translator: the need to change or even butcher the original text because word wrap doesn't work due to difference in character width.

The opening sentence can also be written as 'Haruki Tagokoro, our adolescent virgin MC has a crush on Kasumi Yumeura. A chance opened for him: There'll be a study session for two in Sunday! Let's prepare until Saturday, and go to bed now.'
Also, while 'Reason' is the correct translation for Haruki's desire points, it's strange from grammar point. 'Willpower' fits more, but again using that might cause you to go over the dialogue box's character limit in some occassions.

Last edited:

matriks

Engaged Member
Oct 4, 2017
Guys this game is complete like finished?Like no more updates or updates still coming from developer?

White Bomber

May 30, 2019
Guys this game is complete like finished?Like no more updates or updates still coming from developer?

no there's an upcoming update, involving dating and whatever.

it was stated that it by the dev that it may take til next year or the year after for the release.

White Bomber

May 30, 2019
So game sill in progress right?

probably or probably not,
it hasn't been updated since jan 20.

future is unknown,
its possible that he may ether give up or release a stand-alone sequel instead.

Last edited:

Dormir1

Jul 6, 2021
As far as ive digged into this hell, and as well as regarding the game text structure as a whole, im already assuming the devs, unless very motivated themselves for an official TL, might end up being too lazy to translate their own game, even with Wolf Editor alone in the end xDD

Due to the system texts not having been centralized in one location like they did for text scripts. I am currently using THREE tools (Notepad++, Wolf Editor, and Translator++) to locate, access and edit text.

However the main issue, due to Wolf Editor structure, is that certains strings are either called from user database "classes/structs", arguments for common events, or even direct message strings inside the maps.
So many places to call actual text display... -w-"

I honestly understrand why Wolf is prefered over RPG Maker as a 2d game engine by a lot of japanese creators, but damn, handling text content into so many locations is pretty cursed lol

If certain event structures were more flexibles, id centralize system texts myself for the sake of smoothing a possible full TL process. Caus the way these structures nest strings makes impossible to redirect them to a file path, unless rebuilding entirely some common event structures i wont dare to touch, even if i had the time to.

What makes the thing scary is that most non map system texts are stored by only a couple of files : CommonEvent, DatBase... etc
If new version were to touch to such files, it will be extremelly difficult to track the modifs of these rigid system texts -w-
I'm no expert or anything, but could you use Process Monitor to track where the text came from as you progress in the game?
I just tried it and uhhh it look like a mess. Process Monitor basically report any changes or activity happening in the "process" and unless you filter to the Two Beast or Not To Beast, it would be very hard to find the file location of the text i believe. Also, the wolf file is preventing the path file and only show the path name inside .wolf file, but I can't access beyond the .wolf files. I need to unpack it somehow.
Again i'm no expert, so i can't guarantee it'd be useful. Just want to let you know that Process Monitor literally look for nooks and cranny on everything the game do and I imagine you can find the texts as you progress in the game. Will show screenshot later cuz there some sensitive path file name

drovobupr

Jul 15, 2019
Does anyone have a cg/animation collection of this game? The other links were down :(
My G-Drive link with a full gallery 1.10 and the collected artwork for the game released by the author. If the link goes down again don't hesitate to message or reply. Enjoy lads!

kkhkjhk

Aug 10, 2018
My G-Drive link with a full gallery 1.10 and the collected artwork for the game released by the author. If the link goes down again don't hesitate to message or reply. Enjoy lads!

Thanks really appreciate it!

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote