To all my fellow devs who are brave enough -what grinds your gears?

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
There was one comment I read a while ago that really grinds my gear. It wasn't directed at me. but I found it while taking a break from working on my VN. This person said that he can't support devs who use daz because to him we are lazy when comparing to devs that use honey select who put out 2k renders each update vs daz dev who put out 200 renders.

Btw I have nothing against honey select user I flap to it all the same. So please don't turn this into a pissing contest.

I'm just saying that I use daz and knowing what it takes to set up one scene calling devs who use daz lazy is pretty ballsy.
(Again I'm not saying that honey select have it any easier.)

Anyway, with my luck, I just put my foot in my mouth and the person who said that probably one of the 4 people who currently support me on Patreon.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
The NTR tag should be modified to include "Optional" if the NTR is avoidable. Its one of those things people have very wide definitions of to the point that "NTR" has lost its meaning to some degree.

Things that are irritating.

- People asking for updates, especially right after an update was posted or a development update was just posed a post above theirs or a few pages before.

- People asking questions that are answered in the OP, or asking for things that would be in the OP. Like android versions of games, if its not in the OP it doesn't exist.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Authors should be REQUIRED! YES REQUIRED to produce an abridged "Coles" notes freely acompanying the product, clearly outlining the entire VN/game. Decision points, optimal paths by fetish, detailed walk through, cheats and full commentary explaining in detail the work in question. Included in the appendices there must be a production and release schedule and, and, and... Fergeddaboudit... this is unworkable as aformentioned 'notes' would require the consumer to actually read it, never mind the potential negative impact on production schedule.
That's where the money is. The lure of "free game" gets people to start playing, then you charge them for the instructions.
Take Daz for example "free software" gets people to join the genesis cult, and then they make monthly installments of $39.99 to learn how to use it. before long they have too much invested to walk away. They're upside down in the program before they know it. Some game companies do it a little different. They sell a broken game, and then charge you for a patch.

The best marketing plan IMHO is to release a walkthrough, BEFORE you start making a game. That really gets their juices flowing.
Anticipation builds month after month waiting for each update which will allow them to get one step closer to their goal, manifesting the destiny which they themselves charted from the walkthrough.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Seeing as non devs are joining in the rants (even though I already posted ... forget that one please, thankyou) here's mine.

The lesbian tag when the game has a male protag. That's not lesbian, at best it's bi at worst it's a threesome. 2 girls licking pussy while a guy rails them both isn't lesbian, it isn't even close to lesbian, the inclusion of penis kills any form of lesbianism that could have happened. A girl getting it on with another girl then fucking a bloke also isn't lesbian. Any penis being introduced instantly stops it from being lesbian.

As an expert on all things lesbian having been one for many years I can't reiterate enough time that it's only lesbian if it's only women. Anything else is bi. I get annoyed every time I see "male protag" and "lesbian" in the tags because it's instantly a fucking lie. Even on the off chance the game does have a lesbian character either the players will whine enough that it gets changed or the dev has her "cured by cock".

Reactions: Hyped and Random

FFCreations

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2017
Seeing as non devs are joining in the rants (even though I already posted ... forget that one please, thankyou) here's mine.

The lesbian tag when the game has a male protag. That's not lesbian, at best it's bi at worst it's a threesome. 2 girls licking pussy while a guy rails them both isn't lesbian, it isn't even close to lesbian, the inclusion of penis kills any form of lesbianism that could have happened. A girl getting it on with another girl then fucking a bloke also isn't lesbian. Any penis being introduced instantly stops it from being lesbian.

As an expert on all things lesbian having been one for many years I can't reiterate enough time that it's only lesbian if it's only women. Anything else is bi. I get annoyed every time I see "male protag" and "lesbian" in the tags because it's instantly a fucking lie. Even on the off chance the game does have a lesbian character either the players will whine enough that it gets changed or the dev has her "cured by cock".
To be honest, I’d still prefer a lesbian tag in that case. Since threesome can be 2 females 1 male or 2 males and 1 female. So a threesome tag doesn’t tell you what it is on its own.

Personally I don’t really like lesbian content (even though I have it in my game haha). So having a tag for that whenever it’s even slightly hinted is a good thing for me.

Reactions: Rythan25

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
To be honest, I’d still prefer a lesbian tag in that case. Since threesome can be 2 females 1 male or 2 males and 1 female. So a threesome tag doesn’t tell you what it is on its own.

Personally I don’t really like lesbian content (even though I have it in my game haha). So having a tag for that whenever it’s even slightly hinted is a good thing for me.
2 females 1 male isn't lesbian, it's bi. The fact there is a penis there makes lesbian content impossible.

You have bi content in your game because they all take dick. Just because 2 girls fuck doesn't make them lesbian if 5 minutes later they have a pussy full of cum.

I'm a lesbian, no dick has ever been near me and never will, that's what lesbian is. Having lesbian tag when they take dick anyway is misleading.

Reactions: Zamel_

FFCreations

Game Developer
Nov 13, 2017
2 females 1 male isn't lesbian, it's bi. The fact there is a penis there makes lesbian content impossible.

You have bi content in your game because they all take dick. Just because 2 girls fuck doesn't make them lesbian if 5 minutes later they have a pussy full of cum.

I'm a lesbian, no dick has ever been near me and never will, that's what lesbian is. Having lesbian tag when they take dick anyway is misleading.
I mean if two girls do sexual stuff to each other then I’d call that “lesbian content” regardless of if there’s a dick or not at a later point in that scene. And thus I would like a tag to indicate this.

I don’t really care how other people define “lesbian content”, as long as the tag remains I’m satisfied.

Also what are you proposing then? Having a “bisexual” tag? Because that would be even more confusing. Since then people would think the main character (if he’s a male) fucks a dude or something.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I mean if two girls do sexual stuff to each other then I’d call that “lesbian content” regardless of if there’s a dick or not at a later point in that scene. And thus I would like a tag to indicate this.

I don’t really care how other people define “lesbian content”, as long as the tag remains I’m satisfied.
Then the gay tag needs adding for games that have MMF threesomes.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
What? :)
This kind of players:
1/ Hey man, great game when will be next update released? (recent update released this day)
2/ GUY X: Woow really great stuff and that animations is the best one so far. FEW MOMENTS LATER in another thread.
Guy Y: Hey guys can you please recomend me good with good animations?
Guyx: Yeah ! Try Milfy city, MOH, F.I.L.F.
3/ Why is there no futas? Why is there no NTR? Why is this maked in DAZ I like Blender and anotherlike that.

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
2/ GUY X: Woow really great stuff and that animations is the best one so far. FEW MOMENTS LATER in another thread.
Guy Y: Hey guys can you please recomend me good with good animations?
Guyx: Yeah ! Try Milfy city, MOH, F.I.L.F.
What do you mean, that your game wasn't brought up by the guy in the other thread, even though he said your game had nice animations? Or something else?

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
What do you mean, that your game wasn't brought up by the guy in the other thread, even though he said your game had nice animations? Or something else?
I mean players that will telling you how good stuff you are doing, but when time come to said it to another they talking about antoher. Wich means theay liying to you and your stuff is not that good. Or.... I don't want to say that. :)

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

While it was very politically incorrect, back in '83... Comedian Eddie Murphy, did a routine talking about how women in general could "hang out" with gays, and feel comfortable. Because she doesn't want anything from him, and he doesn't want anything from her, so they can be friends without any sexual component to the relationship.

I have lesbian friends who enjoy hanging out. They don't want anything from me, and I don't want anything from them. We both appreciate the scenery of hot women, we sexualize and objectify everything and everyone around us, but we respect each other.

I get where you're coming from, wanting to be respected as a lesbian, but sexuality is not binary, it's a spectrum. Your sexual preference is your choice. We've made progress in changing people's thinking, separating "gender" from "sex" and "sexual preference". Sex is the equipment you were born with(subject to change) Gender is how you feel about yourself. I feel like a man. Sexual preference is who you want to have sex with. Sex is generally apparent. Your gender and sexual preference are not.
It's perfectly natural for someone who is attracted to boobs, to approach a person with boobs. If you aren't holding a sign, they have no way of knowing your gender or your sexual preference until you tell them. No harm in asking.

To gain respect an argument has to be logical. Those who say "I was born gay" I don't deny that that is possible, but being gay is their sexual preference, their choice. It should be respected whatever that choice is, but many are undecided. I'm straight, firm in that choice, my gay friends might unsuccesfully try and sway me, but my mind is made up. I don't disrespect them for trying, and I might even encourage them to fantasize about me fucking the shit out of them. It's the nature of the business i'm in to be provocative. Game characters are there for the user to enjoy, in whatever capacity the player chooses. If not banging the lesbian is an option, then a lesbian tag is appropriate. Saying "she's not a real lesbian" because she could be banged by a dude, is similar to those who say having two males in a game is NTR or even gay.

Lennier

Game Developer
Jun 8, 2017
I mean players that will telling you how good stuff you are doing, but when time come to said it to another they talking about antoher. Wich means theay liying to you and your stuff is not that good. Or.... I don't want to say that. :)
Yea, If that player really likes the game then it would be nice if they would add it to their recommended list.

VNorth

Donor
Game Developer
May 18, 2017
Ha-ha...
I have the review is to win any competition stupidity "In your game very bad graphics and your game grindy".
Do not look not only tags, but also screenshots:)
I don’t understand how to play the game if you don’t like the graphics. But he played for a long time, if he could understand that the game was grindy.

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
When people don't even read anything in the OP but just post something that is already answered in the OP or use the search function to something that has been already asked 100 #@$)%^ times. Those are my two big ones but reading seems to be hard for some people. Have had the same question asked multiple times on the same thread page.

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
Well I'd not released yet so can't say as a for users. But generally as a 3d modeller and game dev what grind my gears when reading forums or talking to people is:

3dmodellers: "Daz3d? That is shit. Look at my 4Million polys garbage can: this is art"
KnowingNothingAbout3dDesign: "Why pixar quality rendered 2 minutes video took you so long? It's not like your drawing it"
RandomPlayer: "Unity? I'm not playing. That's a shitty engine, not playing" (Subnautica, Battlestar Galactica Online, Kerbal Space Program, Heartstone...)
RandomPoster: "I'll play when has more content" - It's a finished game.
VeryOpinedGuyYouDon'tKnow: "You asking for advice making that minigame interesting? If your game is lacking, it will not be fix by a minigame"
KnownModelIsBetter: "Steam Early Access instead of Patreon? Why would someone wanna buy a cheap game instead of paying every month for it? People are not gonna like that"

And that's just a bunch....

Opined people of the world; Your treasure is trash to others. And first and foremost, know what you're talking about xD

Reactions: Air Space Frame

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
For the people complaining about tags I would like to remind that we have very specific and clear definitions of the tags used in the site here, and that miss tags happen because the people who can tag the games rarely play them, so we depend on the players to help doing that. For example, the lesbian tag is used for sex acts between two women, doesn't matter how many dicks she takes before or after, it's not about her sexual orientations, it's about the actions present in the game.

If a game has the wrong tag, the easiest way to solve is to report the game explaining why the tag is wrong, making more tags does solve anything because they would just be misused again.

xoxo

Jul 4, 2017
Then the gay tag needs adding for games that have MMF threesomes.
If they are blowing each other, then yes. I think you're confusing a character being a lesbian with lesbian content/scene. It doesn't matter if a woman is bi, lesbian or straight, if she's fucking another woman then it's a lesbian scene. If in a MFF threesome the women don't interact with each other then it isn't a lesbian scene.
It would be awesome to see more games with lesbian characters that the male MC can't fuck, but men do love the fantasy of fucking a lesbian while she enjoys it, something impossible IRL (since they wouldn't be lesbian to begin with).

preglovr12

Salt is a Way of Life
May 1, 2018
For the people complaining about tags I would like to remind that we have very specific and clear definitions of the tags used in the site here, and that miss tags happen because the people who can tag the games rarely play them, so we depend on the players to help doing that. For example, the lesbian tag is used for sex acts between two women, doesn't matter how many dicks she takes before or after, it's not about her sexual orientations, it's about the actions present in the game.

If a game has the wrong tag, the easiest way to solve is to report the game explaining why the tag is wrong, making more tags does solve anything because they would just be misused again.
It'd be nice to get some consistency then. I understand that most tags are action tags, just append "sex" to the end and you get a nice easy definition, but this gets muddled with some exceptions to the rule. The pregnancy tag is both for the action and the state of being, which leads to some confusion overall and certainly some disappointment on my end of things. Maybe add an impregnation tag or something?