RPGM Tower of Trample [v1.18.0.4 + Standalone Floor 10] [Bo Wei/Koda]

4.30 star(s) 55 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.

fvlaenix

Nov 30, 2019
thanks for the postmortem report fvlaenix
but I have a question, can anyone else besides koda have the privilege to write the scene? (like our previous helpers Sylph Phoenix or JakeMSG and maybe other discord/patreon higher ups)
It's hard to understand the privilege of writing a scene. It's just that I set a generous deadline, thought anyone could meet it, and as you can see, failed completely. He's doing the scene now, and it would be counterproductive to give the same job to someone else. Of course, if things get completely dark, other candidates will be chosen, and I don't see how I would select them, but I'm putting off thinking about it

Well, and yes, I think the two people you named have more power in this project than I do, and it's more a question of whether they'll agree to do it rather than whether I'll ask them. Of course, again these are just theories, I'm still watching for some progress on his part (because he's providing it to me), and hopefully the situation will resolve itself without extreme measures

s4000

Nov 30, 2020
Post-mortem

Okay, since this is my fuck up, I should explain how it is that the game didn't come out on July 1 like I promised. It's better that you find out from me than distorted information that reaches you through other channels.

So, I've been invited as a 10F translator for quite some time now. We won't tell you why this happened, I think you already understand roughly enough. So:
- At the end of May, I received a repeated request for a translation. The problem was that I had very important things to do before June 15, so I gave myself a deadline of July 1, because I'm used to giving myself more time, I knew I'd make it.
- However, it turned out that my very important things were very boring and I started somewhere around May 25-26.
- On May 31 the work was almost completely ready, I translated and proofread the translation myself.
- On June 1, I posted the translation for playtesters. Thanks to Bo's thorough testing of the Chinese version, there weren't many problems.
- June 1 to June 6 was a detailed work on game bugs in the translation or just bugs (unfortunately, the July 1 date leaked into the public domain and became my actual deadline).
- On June 6, it became clear that one of the scenes needed to be reworked. Let me remind you that playtesters are not only those who test for bugs, but also the first players and reviewers. One of the scenes was very much requested to be redone. From that moment on, I realized that now my job is not only to translate, but also to make a new scene. I approached Koda to make a scene, because my own style of writing scenes doesn't fit TOT.
- Around the 15th-20th you could see that I had completely lost confidence that it would come out on time. Around the same time, work started to actively work with me to redo the scene (Koda does most of the work).

Now:

The scene script is ready. I transferred the script into code, and now it's left to decorate the scene with images and animations. The scene decoration is at least 50% ready. So I expect the finished work in about 2 weeks. But again, I can't speak for myself.

I apologize for the way things turned out.
Another standalone ver?
No any new update for main game?

JakeMSG

Jul 2, 2017
Welp, I'll give Bo somethin', he did release new content (in the form of Loyal Demise) at least

Sylph Phoenix

Sep 24, 2018
thanks for the postmortem report fvlaenix
but I have a question, can anyone else besides koda have the privilege to write the scene? (like our previous helpers Sylph Phoenix or JakeMSG and maybe other discord/patreon higher ups)
I never did any scene writing, and I doubt my attempts would be any good.
Well, and yes, I think the two people you named have more power in this project than I do, and it's more a question of whether they'll agree to do it rather than whether I'll ask them. Of course, again these are just theories, I'm still watching for some progress on his part (because he's providing it to me), and hopefully the situation will resolve itself without extreme measures
I don't really have any power in the project, my involvement has only ever been upon request from Koda which was only when he had code issues he needed solved. Usually bugs he couldn't figure out or he needed some mechanic that was beyond his skills. I have Bo on my Discord but haven't spoken to him for nearly 3 years and we rarely talked about ToT. Mostly other engines and battle system design because I think he was curious about doing 3D work with me before he went back to old and familiar.

So nah, you have more power than me. If I had my way I'd manage the entire project just because it is riddled with dysfunction with obvious solutions. Focus on consecrating all of the content back into a single definitive version of the game, go back to entirely human-made art, strict limits on floor sizes, boundaries around floor creep after the original design, move more to the external scripts that Koda started on so more people could be brought in without getting conflicts from the packed nature of the game files. Literally none of those are going to happen though.

That said, if you end up needing help with code stuff I'd be just as happy helping you as I was helping Koda, if you DM me I'll add you on my Discord. I've long felt that this whole project is dead though.

fvlaenix

Nov 30, 2019
I never did any scene writing, and I doubt my attempts would be any good.

I don't really have any power in the project, my involvement has only ever been upon request from Koda which was only when he had code issues he needed solved. Usually bugs he couldn't figure out or he needed some mechanic that was beyond his skills. I have Bo on my Discord but haven't spoken to him for nearly 3 years and we rarely talked about ToT. Mostly other engines and battle system design because I think he was curious about doing 3D work with me before he went back to old and familiar.

So nah, you have more power than me. If I had my way I'd manage the entire project just because it is riddled with dysfunction with obvious solutions. Focus on consecrating all of the content back into a single definitive version of the game, go back to entirely human-made art, strict limits on floor sizes, boundaries around floor creep after the original design, move more to the external scripts that Koda started on so more people could be brought in without getting conflicts from the packed nature of the game files. Literally none of those are going to happen though.

That said, if you end up needing help with code stuff I'd be just as happy helping you as I was helping Koda, if you DM me I'll add you on my Discord. I've long felt that this whole project is dead though.
Well, I've done a lot in the merging direction, because I've even intentionally done a floor merging project, even if it's just regular RPGM scripts. But yeah, limiting floors is really hard, because I don't do that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
4.30 star(s) 55 Votes