RPGM Tower of Trample [v1.18.0.4 + Standalone SC3] [Bo Wei/Koda]

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes

robtbo

Game Developer
Jan 4, 2019
Someone linked me the criticism of my writing on Discord so I'll weigh in.
a) I don't feel any particular favoritism towards Cobra. She gets a lot of attention because Bo's original design for her wrote a lot of checks and my goal (arguably compulsion at this point, given how much it messes with my timetables) in joining him has always been to make sure those checks are fully cashed. In some ways, she actually gets the short stick by being the prototype for a lot of things that other bosses will get more developed versions of.

I've always liked all the bosses for the most part, and the ones I didn't (Yvonne/Lily) I've come around a lot on since I started working on their expansions. My "obvious favoritism" will however show on (roughly) 10F with a boss of my design (not to be confused with the 8F boss who is also of my design).

b) I do use ~ a lot and am conscious of it. Ultimately, I just think a lady lilting her lines is sexy and seductive so it tends to happen more often than not. I'd like to think it makes the hard stops (. / !) more powerful, but saying it simply weakens/dilutes the tone is a reasonable critique. Someone on discord suggested ♪ to cover similar ground, which is an idea I like and will try.

c) I'm also conscious of having a "default tone" and absolutely slip up and "same-face" the writing sometimes. Part of why Yvonne and Khulan were so fun to expand was I felt I was able to break free of that for a change and really get into writing a different style of girl (it's much more difficult for me to distinguish eg. Eliza, Cobra, and Khulan). If anyone has specific textual examples of a character X having a line that is clearly in the tone of character Y, they are welcome to send it to me (as if it were a typo) and I'll try to correct it.

d) As Mammon999 guessed, the hearts/notes are borrowed from more JP-style femdom. Personally I think they add something that can't be conveyed with "proper" words and really like them as a result. I get that this doesn't work for everyone, though (just as my old JP dog-noises baffled a lot of people).

e) The Monster Girl Dreams comparison seems mostly a matter of taste. My writing has always been less focused on the physical sex and more on the mental/BDSM elements. Describing a footjob (or whatever) in detail doesn't really interest me, and I assume the reader can just imagine (or is simply seeing it via the CG) and try to add flavor by detailing the psychological succumbing instead. I'm not surprised or offended someone would want more sex-focused writing, just explaining that it's not really my style and that's not likely to change.

f) The shonen tropes enhance the femdom aspects a lot for me, so while I won't defend them as high literature, I will say they weren't included lazily or arbitrarily. The most direct inspiration for this I can think of is the 7-Tails fight in MGQ where you go into a surprise Angel-Trance near the end (which is later payed off as a permanent form in Part 3); the fact that this moment is more memorable to me than 95% of the generic sex/ends in that game says something for the concept, I think, even if folks argue I/we've failed to replicate it.

I always appreciate feedback like this as it helps me examine my own writing.
Cheers and Happy 4th of July.

(If the Discord memo wasn't posted here yet: a special project will be released this weekend.)
Dude, as badwulf51 pointed out rather vehemently:
People talk about your delays and lazy work ethic for months

You sleep

Someone mentions your writing for about 3 posts

REAL SHIT??????!!!

Your a joke dude, straight up. Ban me mods for all I care but this takes the fucking cake right here.
few are going to bitch about what you've actually contributed. Very few would be interested in someone with a grand command of the language engaging in literary masturbation via flowery narrative exposition to convey a premise which could be easily conveyed with a simple symbol leaving the context up to the audience. Ex. "Khulan's words trailed off as her winsome features relaxed slightly. She seemed to drift off for a moment... her back arching as slightly as her breathing quickened. These tiny motions accentuated the sparkling light reflecting from the beads of perspiration glittering on her firm, glowing bosoms. There seemed to be a break from her straightforward domineering nature which hearkened to a deep-seated yearning from her past... a yearning for a relationship which was as much one of subjugation as it was rebellion. This intense longing sent visible shudders through her miraculously powerful and massive frame as her pursed glistening lips resumed speech."

If people want to read a book, they'll read a book.

The criticism is overwhelmingly about the failure to meet promised deadlines. Simple fix: don't set expectations for what you can't deliver. Addressing criticisms of your writing as opposed to criticisms of your own overblown estimations of your coding efficiency is completely whack. There are plenty who will defend your writing. NOBODY will defend your habit of making utterly empty promises. THAT'S what should have your attention.

D

Deleted member 205059

Its funny Koda talks about 10F as if that is a thing that'll happen within our lifetimes.

EDIT: Since I'm already here, lemme talk about Under The Witch's writing.

I'm the translator and worked as close to the expectations of NumericGazer. I'd even say I disagree on some of the stylistic choices he makes, but its his game. The biggest thing which might be strange to people used to games translated from Japanese is that he wanted it to sound specifically like natural English. So he didn't want things like -san/-sama endings or "Ara ara~" in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

GearlessJoe

Jun 17, 2018
Someone linked me the criticism of my writing on Discord so I'll weigh in.
a) I don't feel any particular favoritism towards Cobra. She gets a lot of attention because Bo's original design for her wrote a lot of checks and my goal (arguably compulsion at this point, given how much it messes with my timetables) in joining him has always been to make sure those checks are fully cashed. In some ways, she actually gets the short stick by being the prototype for a lot of things that other bosses will get more developed versions of.

I've always liked all the bosses for the most part, and the ones I didn't (Yvonne/Lily) I've come around a lot on since I started working on their expansions. My "obvious favoritism" will however show on (roughly) 10F with a boss of my design (not to be confused with the 8F boss who is also of my design).

b) I do use ~ a lot and am conscious of it. Ultimately, I just think a lady lilting her lines is sexy and seductive so it tends to happen more often than not. I'd like to think it makes the hard stops (. / !) more powerful, but saying it simply weakens/dilutes the tone is a reasonable critique. Someone on discord suggested ♪ to cover similar ground, which is an idea I like and will try.

c) I'm also conscious of having a "default tone" and absolutely slip up and "same-face" the writing sometimes. Part of why Yvonne and Khulan were so fun to expand was I felt I was able to break free of that for a change and really get into writing a different style of girl (it's much more difficult for me to distinguish eg. Eliza, Cobra, and Khulan). If anyone has specific textual examples of a character X having a line that is clearly in the tone of character Y, they are welcome to send it to me (as if it were a typo) and I'll try to correct it.

d) As Mammon999 guessed, the hearts/notes are borrowed from more JP-style femdom. Personally I think they add something that can't be conveyed with "proper" words and really like them as a result. I get that this doesn't work for everyone, though (just as my old JP dog-noises baffled a lot of people).

e) The Monster Girl Dreams comparison seems mostly a matter of taste. My writing has always been less focused on the physical sex and more on the mental/BDSM elements. Describing a footjob (or whatever) in detail doesn't really interest me, and I assume the reader can just imagine (or is simply seeing it via the CG) and try to add flavor by detailing the psychological succumbing instead. I'm not surprised or offended someone would want more sex-focused writing, just explaining that it's not really my style and that's not likely to change.

f) The shonen tropes enhance the femdom aspects a lot for me, so while I won't defend them as high literature, I will say they weren't included lazily or arbitrarily. The most direct inspiration for this I can think of is the 7-Tails fight in MGQ where you go into a surprise Angel-Trance near the end (which is later payed off as a permanent form in Part 3); the fact that this moment is more memorable to me than 95% of the generic sex/ends in that game says something for the concept, I think, even if folks argue I/we've failed to replicate it.

I always appreciate feedback like this as it helps me examine my own writing.
Cheers and Happy 4th of July.

(If the Discord memo wasn't posted here yet: a special project will be released this weekend.)
Hey Koda, it's great that you're receptive to criticism about your writing and all, but isn't there something you should get to? I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't even notice the things I pointed out since they're probably too busy masturbating during the scenes, but what absolutely everyone will notice is that there hasn't been new content in 7 months and you've delayed multiple updates an absurd amount of times.
Also, if this side of ToT's community isn't exactly welcoming you with open arms, just remember this whole situation is of your own making before you blame them.

Impl0dedcrev

Jun 25, 2018
Hey Koda, it's great that you're receptive to criticism about your writing and all, but isn't there something you should get to? I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't even notice the things I pointed out since they're probably too busy masturbating during the scenes, but what absolutely everyone will notice is that there hasn't been new content in 7 months and you've delayed multiple updates an absurd amount of times.
Also, if this side of ToT's community isn't exactly welcoming you with open arms, just remember this whole situation is of your own making before you blame them.
although i agree with you i must say from the discord i can see that he has been working on stuff while not all ToT related he still has been working, specifically the weekend surprise he has planned is one of them. I believe the "surprise" is an improved version of bo's old game mix fight ( the one in the guild not the other one) but i might be wrong, im like 80% sure im right.

Rsunet

Jan 12, 2018

You criticize his writing. He comes to address your points. You deflect and retreat to the standard "stop delaying" stuff.

None of us are happy about the delays. I'm not defending them or Koda. Feel free to let him know, by all means. But what exactly is going on in your mental state that blocks you from also addressing his -- IMO -- reasonably thought-out response?

You were given the opportunity to engage in a discussion, or just bitch about the delays some more, and you chose the latter. I don't understand.

Side note -- are you actually a patron of theirs? Pretty sure most people come here to get various H games for free, no? (Obviously, there are good communities here and people have other reasons for being on the forum as a whole, but the game-specific threads in particular?)

inthef95zone

Sep 21, 2017
Keep twisting my comment like I was condoning the shitty delays and the faulty work ethics of constantly failing to deliver on pre-established deadlines, over and over again. Keep on doing it: that's so nice of you, man... (y)

You completely disregarded my point just for a free opportunity to sting the devs.
We all are frustrated, we all want more content and this absolute darkness for half a year is insulting: I get it.
There were times that I actually wanted to Power Side Kick the devs.

But I gave an objective opinion on the development of the characters' personas: Koda did a good job, period.

Scarlett is not just a generic dominatrix.
Eliza is not just her nun outfit.
Khulan is not just a barbarian.
Cobra is not just her eastern/taoist motif.

If you still don't get my point, then that's on you.
dude...chill, it's just a comment not Koda's cock, don't take it too hard

GearlessJoe

Jun 17, 2018
You criticize his writing. He comes to address your points. You deflect and retreat to the standard "stop delaying" stuff.

None of us are happy about the delays. I'm not defending them or Koda. Feel free to let him know, by all means. But what exactly is going on in your mental state that blocks you from also addressing his -- IMO -- reasonably thought-out response?

You were given the opportunity to engage in a discussion, or just bitch about the delays some more, and you chose the latter. I don't understand.

Side note -- are you actually a patron of theirs? Pretty sure most people come here to get various H games for free, no?
LOL
I bet you're the guy who told Koda to come here to defend his writing skills. There's a simple reason why I don't wanna argue with him right now. HE SHOULD BE HARD AT WORK, MAKING SURE HE DOESN'T END UP DELAYING AN UPDATE FOR THE 30TH TIME. Something you clearly don't understand if you're chatting with him and pointing him here in hopes that we engage in lengthy discussion on the quality of his writing...
Don't worry though, I was still planning to talk to the people who disagreed with me on what I said about Koda's writing, just not Koda himself, he has more pressing matters to atend to.

Rsunet

Jan 12, 2018
LOL
I bet you're the guy who told Koda to come here to defend his writing skills. There's a simple reason why I don't wanna argue with him right now. HE SHOULD BE HARD AT WORK, MAKING SURE HE DOESN'T END UP DELAYING AN UPDATE FOR THE 30TH TIME. Something you clearly don't understand if you're chatting with him and pointing him here in hopes that we engage in lengthy discussion on the quality of his writing...
Don't worry though, I was still planning to talk to the people who disagreed with me on what I said about Koda's writing, just not Koda himself, he has more pressing matters to atend to.
I didn't tell Koda to do anything, I've never even spoke with him (or, at least, not had him respond).

Perhaps you should re-read what I said, because despite what you seem to think, I didn't defend him in any way. I was simply expressing my surprise and confusion as to why you didn't actually respond to his points.

Bear in mind, I've not been an active lurker or participant in this thread, so I don't have a whole lot of context. To me, an outsider, it looked like you were overreacting. Do you have some history with Koda that I'm not aware of? If so, I could understand.

I am still personally interested in what you think of his response.

badwulf51

Jul 4, 2018
I didn't tell Koda to do anything, I've never even spoke with him (or, at least, not had him respond).

Perhaps you should re-read what I said, because despite what you seem to think, I didn't defend him in any way. I was simply expressing my surprise and confusion as to why you didn't actually respond to his points.

Bear in mind, I've not been an active lurker or participant in this thread, so I don't have a whole lot of context. To me, an outsider, it looked like you were overreacting. Do you have some history with Koda that I'm not aware of? If so, I could understand.

>or at least not had him respond

Dear slim, I wrote but you still aint callin

bahamut2195

Mar 28, 2018
You know Koda, people consider your writing lazy not necessarily because you are incompetent.

They ( myself included) think it's lazy when, during a pivotal storyline junction, you rely on beat to death shonen tropes to tell a story.

You mention the MGQ scene. A good example of said trope that you shamelessly repurposed. It's tired. You can do better. Hell, it was beat to death when Luka "transformed". And Ethan, sir, is no Luka

GearlessJoe

Jun 17, 2018

I feel my response was pretty tame, but w/e

a) I'd say the fact that Cobra is about to get a second full expansion while Lily still doesn't have hers is proof enough that there's favoritism.
b) He concedes this point, which is why I said it's at least good that he's receptive to criticism in some areas.
c) Same as b)
d) If these are in the same vein as the japanese dog noises then I guess I understand them even if those also felt weird to me.
e) I guess it could be a matter of personal preference.
f) bahamut answered this one better than I ever could, but the problem isn't that it's shounen-ey, the problem is that it feels uninspired.

I admit I may have overreacted calling Koda's writing bad, maybe his writing style just isn't meant for me. Me saying his writing is bad was just as bad as others still affirming his writing is excellent. It got him to come out of the woodworks though, so in the end it was totally worth it.

Rsunet

Jan 12, 2018
I feel my response was pretty tame, but w/e

a) I'd say the fact that Cobra is about to get a second full expansion while Lily still doesn't have hers is proof enough that there's favoritism.
b) He concedes this point, which is why I said it's at least good that he's receptive to criticism in some areas.
c) Same as b)
d) If these are in the same vein as the japanese dog noises then I guess I understand them even if those also felt weird to me.
e) I guess it could be a matter of personal preference.
f) bahamut answered this one better than I ever could, but the problem isn't that it's shounen-ey, the problem is that it feels uninspired.

I admit I may have overreacted calling Koda's writing bad, maybe his writing style just isn't meant for me. Me saying his writing is bad was just as bad as others still affirming his writing is excellent. It got him to come out of the woodworks though, so in the end it was totally worth it.
Thanks.

Reactions: wanttodownload

Arctif

May 5, 2018
[...]was simply expressing my surprise and confusion as to why you didn't actually respond to his points.

Bear in mind, I've not been an active lurker or participant in this thread, so I don't have a whole lot of context. To me, an outsider, it looked like you were overreacting.[...]
Just par for the course

Koda was pretty chatty - guess because of Independence Day. (Bleedin' Yanks)
There's a lot of tidbits and it's all pretty spread so I cba pasting any majority of it :ROFLMAO: But here was one fairly relevant snip

comoo

Sep 6, 2018
7 girls in this game and none of them is a school girl , slime or succubus (which are the contents for 99 percent of femdom games) yet all of them are have theirs specilities.Dont know about the dialogs that much but making those characters and adding personalities for them is pretty good job.Also writing a femdom game is harder than the most of the other genres , making a guy to submit to a girl and also a girl who likes to dominate is not something normal therefore most of the other femdom games stories are bullshits. i am not saying there is not lots of femdom games and this one is the only decent one what i am saying is there are lots of femdom games which there are lots of work in them like kaguya or doesunaonesan yet theirs stories are also not sensible and childish much more worse than a shounen manga.(except msize in that one you can see how the guy's hearth melting)

comoo

Sep 6, 2018
Just par for the course

Koda was pretty chatty - guess because of Independence Day. (Bleedin' Yanks)
There's a lot of tidbits and it's all pretty spread so I cba pasting any majority of it :ROFLMAO: But here was one fairly relevant snip
View attachment 338130
at last a reason for the delays yet still no showing of any sign of apology

Last edited:

Incognito Guy

totally not zazzaro
Jan 5, 2019
at last a reason for the delays yet still no showing of any sign of apology
To be fair he gave this reason and even apologized already in the past. The problem is that apologies are just words until backed up with actions, and delays keep on coming.

Also I think feature creep is just part of what's causing delays. After that demo I'm positive Koda has worked very little in the last period of time, hopefully this new (and already delayed twice) project will prove me wrong, but it'll probably just be history repeating itself.

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes