RPGM Tower of Trample [v1.18.0.4 + Standalone SC3] [Bo Wei/Koda]

4.40 star(s) 52 Votes

Holefiller

Jan 23, 2019
Both of them have been doing that, because both have been learning to code. They've both gotten to the point that they don't enjoy working in the ToT codebase because they've made a mess of it on their journey to learn wtf they're doing. A bunch of the scripts in there aren't even theirs, just scripts found online or made by me that were adapted slightly or used verbatim.
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being perfectly salvageable and 10 being fucked beyond repair, how would you rate ToT's codebase?

Sylph Phoenix

Sep 24, 2018
No wonder the "spring cleaning" was such a disaster for Koda. Sounds like it probably got uber-frustrating working with the code for the older floors and he just threw his hands up. This comment makes me wonder if we'll ever see it. :(
To be fair, he should have known that it wasn't going to be doable in that timeframe; a rewrite of that scale is something that even us in industry won't approach without serious planning and consideration. But yeah, I don't doubt for a second that the frustrating tangle is a part of why he gets demotivated and prefers side projects.
On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being perfectly salvageable and 10 being fucked beyond repair, how would you rate ToT's codebase?
Ehh, I'm not an expert on ToT's codebase in particular so take it with a grain of salt, but it's salvageable, a 4 maybe. The issue is that it would take a long while and it needs to be done by someone who's simultaneously a good scripter with RPGM and knowledgeable about how ToT works right now. It's just a pain in the arse, and Koda can't be doing a spring clean when he's meant to be doing 7F and a hundred other things. I'd put my hand up for it, except I have a job as an engineer and I don't have the ToT knowledge yet anyway. Not to mention that it would break/disrupt their work. It's a mess; imo they need a sequel game where they can use MV or something, but then they have to learn how it works lol.

nicknicola

Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, he should have known that it wasn't going to be doable in that timeframe; a rewrite of that scale is something that even us in industry won't approach without serious planning and consideration. But yeah, I don't doubt for a second that the frustrating tangle is a part of why he gets demotivated and prefers side projects.

Ehh, I'm not an expert on ToT's codebase in particular so take it with a grain of salt, but it's salvageable, a 4 maybe. The issue is that it would take a long while and it needs to be done by someone who's simultaneously a good scripter with RPGM and knowledgeable about how ToT works right now. It's just a pain in the arse, and Koda can't be doing a spring clean when he's meant to be doing 7F and a hundred other things. I'd put my hand up for it, except I have a job as an engineer and I don't have the ToT knowledge yet anyway. Not to mention that it would break/disrupt their work. It's a mess; imo they need a sequel game where they can use MV or something, but then they have to learn how it works lol.
People should stop using Rpg maker and use Unity altogether . I know of a game called Ara fell that used Rpg maker 2003 engine and in the new update, they converted to Unity to avoid all the limitations of Rpg maker, preserving the aesthetic of the game but with improved combat mechanics.

I don't know how doable would be with TOT though, and yeah, too much time to do that.

Last edited:

Jadous

Feb 11, 2020
So is the release date still 29th? Or next month? As usual we should expect to add a week or two(if not a year) to the actual release date.

Sylph Phoenix

Sep 24, 2018
People should using Rpg maker and use Unity altogether . I know of a game called Ara fell that used Rpg maker 2003 engine and in the new update, they converted to Unity to avoid all the limitations of Rpg maker, preserving the aesthetic of the game but with improved combat mechanics.

I don't know how doable would be with TOT though, and yeah, too much time to do that.
Believe it or not, I was actually playing around with exactly that a few months back, though it was not as a serious attempt and more of an exercising of my curiosity. I managed to make a grid system with movement, and a rudimentary yielding event system done before I moved on. It had some obvious weaknesses; map painting is a lot better in RPGM than it is in Unity and there's no GUI for using the events unless I went and made my own. Still, it was enough to know that using Unity would be very challenging because of exactly how many RPG Maker systems I'd need to rebuild and how different its usage would be for the developers.

I'm still interested in continuing with it just because I could reuse the engine one day and because I like designing software architecture, but it won't go very quickly with how little time I have lol.

1585439989907.png
View attachment 307387bf63adbe9e201bbb3d55b81c96.mp4

Feb 2, 2020
Believe it or not, I was actually playing around with exactly that a few months back, though it was not as a serious attempt and more of an exercising of my curiosity. I managed to make a grid system with movement, and a rudimentary yielding event system done before I moved on. It had some obvious weaknesses; map painting is a lot better in RPGM than it is in Unity and there's no GUI for using the events unless I went and made my own. Still, it was enough to know that using Unity would be very challenging because of exactly how many RPG Maker systems I'd need to rebuild and how different its usage would be for the developers.

I'm still interested in continuing with it just because I could reuse the engine one day and because I like designing software architecture, but it won't go very quickly with how little time I have lol.

View attachment 601046
View attachment 601041
Me: I want tower of trample

Mom: We have tower of trample at home

Tower of trample at home:

(nah but seriously seeing bo use something to make a more full fleged version of tot would be amazing since they would have limitless oppertunites for sounds and effects and what they can do with things like the camera)

Reactions: Jadous

Yuushiro1085

May 25, 2018
Those delays man ,ridiculous.
Everything he touches always get so complicated.
So far Bo which is supposed to be the artist/programmer created two games one with completely new mechanics . While the main programmer keep delaying shit.
FFS , the entire world is under quarantine other developers are already being so productive while he keep delaying shit.
I don’t even understand why Bo needs koda
this is why i completely give up on this game..i just watching the thread for the shit and giggle. other dev that i follow are become more productive ever since the lockdown..i might continue to play again if bo getting a new coder/staff whatever you want to call it. all these delay just for 10min - 30min gameplay tbh not worth to wait n hope.

1585456861534.png

Reactions: Nikkoz

Leonelli

Game Developer
Nov 21, 2019
this chapter was to be released in December 2019.
how many technical problems and delays for 10/20 minutes of gameplay?

Reactions: Big_Daddy_H
4.40 star(s) 52 Votes