Others [Translation Request] The Encyclopedia of Tentacles for Boys Vol.1

PrinceOfCanada

Dec 12, 2021
Hey everyone! I made an account expressly because I was really curious about this game. I did a lot of investigating, and I think I finally found the solution so that we can get a translation going! Hopefully this is new and helpful information, and I am not just piling on and looking like a dumbass here...

The game is written in NScripter, same as MGQ, and I found lots of instances of this particular issue with other games written in it. By pure chance when searching on the Japanese API for it (can't link as this is my first post), I discovered that you can enable an "English" mode to the interpreter by putting the command "english" after the "*define" line. In this case, for the first volume, it's in the 02.txt file.

This seems to virtually eliminate the issue of using half-width, English characters. From very limited experimentation, there seem to be 2 caveats to this:
  • Every non-string English line must be prefixed with a ">" character (mainly during the H scenes and dialogue). Seems you guys discovered that for the dialogue, and it was just the japanese in strings which you can't use this trick for.
  • A weird, minor issue I ran into when translating the Sucking Leech page. It seems if you have a space, then a single character, then a space, it can do that weird thing of rendering incorrect characters again. My intuition is that NScripter requires a certain "minimum" byte size for words?
I hope this is helpful! From what I can see, there should be no more "guessing" with the translation and counting bytes and using weird spaces anymore. I might work on a translation over time, but I am not fluent, so I can imagine there's somebody much more suited for the task. Looks like all the text is really condensed and easy to read in the text files so I imagine it would be easy for anyone who's fluent!

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Hey everyone! I made an account expressly because I was really curious about this game. I did a lot of investigating, and I think I finally found the solution so that we can get a translation going! Hopefully this is new and helpful information, and I am not just piling on and looking like a dumbass here...

The game is written in NScripter, same as MGQ, and I found lots of instances of this particular issue with other games written in it. By pure chance when searching on the Japanese API for it (can't link as this is my first post), I discovered that you can enable an "English" mode to the interpreter by putting the command "english" after the "*define" line. In this case, for the first volume, it's in the 02.txt file.

This seems to virtually eliminate the issue of using half-width, English characters. From very limited experimentation, there seem to be 2 caveats to this:
  • Every non-string English line must be prefixed with a ">" character (mainly during the H scenes and dialogue). Seems you guys discovered that for the dialogue, and it was just the japanese in strings which you can't use this trick for.
  • A weird, minor issue I ran into when translating the Sucking Leech page. It seems if you have a space, then a single character, then a space, it can do that weird thing of rendering incorrect characters again. My intuition is that NScripter requires a certain "minimum" byte size for words?
I hope this is helpful! From what I can see, there should be no more "guessing" with the translation and counting bytes and using weird spaces anymore. I might work on a translation over time, but I am not fluent, so I can imagine there's somebody much more suited for the task. Looks like all the text is really condensed and easy to read in the text files so I imagine it would be easy for anyone who's fluent!
Welcome to F95Zone and thank you for posting this information here!

Imperrfect

Mar 15, 2021

I really do hope that with this new info we could re-spark some interest in getting a translation for this game. Especially when there seemed to previously be a fair amount of interest in the past but dwindled overtime due to the struggles everyone was having. Been keeping my eyes on it for so long ^^;
I only liked your comment before but- thanks for your contribution!

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
I really do hope that with this new info we could re-spark some interest in getting a translation for this game. Especially when there seemed to previously be a fair amount of interest in the past but dwindled overtime due to the struggles everyone was having. Been keeping my eyes on it for so long ^^;
I only liked your comment before but- thanks for your contribution!
+1 to this. I too hope this game doesn't get forgotten.

Reactions: bwardyunbip

mhg87

Jul 14, 2018
Well, it took me awhile, but I've translated and proofread all of the H-Scene stories in Volume 1. I attempted to modify the encyclopedia entries, but I couldn't figure out a way to change them without causing the game to crash. If anyone can figure out how to go about doing that, I'll translate those as well. Huge props to PrinceofCanada for the instructions.

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Well, it took me awhile, but I've translated and proofread all of the H-Scene stories in Volume 1. I attempted to modify the encyclopedia entries, but I couldn't figure out a way to change them without causing the game to crash. If anyone can figure out how to go about doing that, I'll translate those as well. Huge props to PrinceofCanada for the instructions.
Thank you for your work so far :)

bwardyunbip

Dec 15, 2019
thanks so much

PrinceOfCanada

Dec 12, 2021
I am very glad I could help, and this is awesome work! ^^ I can help out a little bit as well. Here's a copy of the system files which will translate the menu buttons. Just extra "system.rar" into your "/system" folder, it will replace the images in there with english ones that I got mostly from Monster Girl Quest (the configback.jpg was slightly different, I changed that myself).

I also included an updated 02.txt with the minor change of translating the window name. I'd like to translate the "Close program" window but I will have to find where in the code it actually has that text first.

Could you describe what issues you are running into when trying to translate the entries? You mention that the game is crashing, do you have an error message or anything? The translations for these are also in the 11.txt. They work a bit differently to the message window lines, since you have to keep it as a string (enclosed in quotation marks).

Just a guess, but it might be crashing because you are trying to include quotation marks in the translation of these pages? You can't include quotation marks since that would break the string, but you could use single quotation marks when you want (' versus ") :3 But when you translate within the quotation marks without breaking anything, it should work- I included a screenshot of me doing so with the Milk Sack.

mhg87

Jul 14, 2018
I am very glad I could help, and this is awesome work! ^^ I can help out a little bit as well. Here's a copy of the system files which will translate the menu buttons. Just extra "system.rar" into your "/system" folder, it will replace the images in there with english ones that I got mostly from Monster Girl Quest (the configback.jpg was slightly different, I changed that myself).

I also included an updated 02.txt with the minor change of translating the window name. I'd like to translate the "Close program" window but I will have to find where in the code it actually has that text first.

Could you describe what issues you are running into when trying to translate the entries? You mention that the game is crashing, do you have an error message or anything? The translations for these are also in the 11.txt. They work a bit differently to the message window lines, since you have to keep it as a string (enclosed in quotation marks).

Just a guess, but it might be crashing because you are trying to include quotation marks in the translation of these pages? You can't include quotation marks since that would break the string, but you could use single quotation marks when you want (' versus ") :3 But when you translate within the quotation marks without breaking anything, it should work- I included a screenshot of me doing so with the Milk Sack.
It gives me the standard message that I get whenever I left out a ">" at the start of a dialogue line. Thanks for the insight on the quotation marks, though. I'll give it another shot and see if it works. Thanks for working out the menus as well!

EDIT: So far so good. Hopefully the entries will be done soon.

Last edited:

PrinceOfCanada

Dec 12, 2021
It gives me the standard message that I get whenever I left out a ">" at the start of a dialogue line. Thanks for the insight on the quotation marks, though. I'll give it another shot and see if it works. Thanks for working out the menus as well!

EDIT: So far so good. Hopefully the entries will be done soon.
Okay, excellent ^^ If there are any issues let me know.

I remember when I did a test translation of the encyclopedia entries there were sometimes strange issues with rendering text, especially when you had a single character in between two spaces, but you can keep fiddling with exactly how it’s written to fix it.