Unity Abandoned Undead Craving [v0.1.2] [Imadori]

4.80 star(s) 13 Votes

derakino999

Sep 30, 2017
more like caprice, if something is truly a passion project you can see it in the care and love they put into it, if it's a caprice it vanishes easily, and if it's just a patreon milking it gives the appearance of having a clearly defined schedule but it's all smoke

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
more like caprice, if something is truly a passion project you can see it in the care and love they put into it, if it's a caprice it vanishes easily, and if it's just a patreon milking it gives the appearance of having a clearly defined schedule but it's all smoke
That's all starving artist bullshit.
Realistically, there's really no way to gauge how much effort goes into game development. A person with low skill level will obviously have poorer quality results and/or slower progress. If anything, beginner devs go in with overly optimistic ideas and only later realize that spending a shit ton of hours does not necessarily translate to a shit ton of progress.

For the entire duration of game development, or until you make enough from Patreon or whatever to not need a day job, you will have to sacrifice what little amount of time you have leftover from not working and other necessities/commitments. And as game development progresses, it doesn't get easier, it gets harder. Whatever cool shit you had planned is being bottlenecked by your (lack of) skill and availability. Your either press on for an indefinite amount of time until the project either takes off and becomes your source of income or it takes much longer to finish than you hoped or you end up reevaluating your priorities in life.
You have to realize that these things are a big fucking commitment and not everyone goes in understanding that.

derakino999

Sep 30, 2017
schedules and plans exist, and it's noticeable as consumer when a dev is actually working on something and when he just SAYS he is working, some devs show steady progress and that's what matters, do note that steady does NOT mean fast or something

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
schedules and plans exist, and it's noticeable as consumer when a dev is actually working on something and when he just SAYS he is working, some devs show steady progress and that's what matters, do note that steady does NOT mean fast or something
Except actual development isn't a steady process at all. There's many layers that go into making a game, like art (character, background, poses, maps, etc), programming (experimental builds, debugging, optimization/compatibility, etc), story (main story, character backgrounds and personalities, branching paths, item descriptions, etc), and even gameplay design (intended mechanics, balancing, GUI/displays, etc). A one-man dev team would have to learn and fill all these roles, which is not a small task.

I don't know why you mentioned plans and schedules like that's going to mean anything to anyone. If a new dev's skills aren't reliable, there's no way in hell their predictions are going to be reliable. Those things just get devs yelled at for not delivering on time.

derakino999

Sep 30, 2017
Except actual development isn't a steady process at all. There's many layers that go into making a game, like art (character, background, poses, maps, etc), programming (experimental builds, debugging, optimization/compatibility, etc), story (main story, character backgrounds and personalities, branching paths, item descriptions, etc), and even gameplay design (intended mechanics, balancing, GUI/displays, etc). A one-man dev team would have to learn and fill all these roles, which is not a small task.

I don't know why you mentioned plans and schedules like that's going to mean anything to anyone. If a new dev's skills aren't reliable, there's no way in hell their predictions are going to be reliable. Those things just get devs yelled at for not delivering on time.
And I don't know why you're mentioning all the aspects of game development as if that went against what i said. Of course it's all part of the process, obviously.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
And I don't know why you're mentioning all the aspects of game development as if that went against what i said. Of course it's all part of the process, obviously.
I'm laying all that out because it's clearly not obvious to you. No newbie dev has the luxury of steady, predictable development. If you already knew that, you wouldn't have said otherwise. You're holding professional standards to literal amateurs.

derakino999

Sep 30, 2017
I'm laying all that out because it's clearly not obvious to you. No newbie dev has the luxury of steady, predictable development. If you already knew that, you wouldn't have said otherwise. You're holding professional standards to literal amateurs.
No one has, these things are not set in stone, but either that doesn't seem obvious to you, or you are failing to understand what i am saying in the first place. Also i ain't talking about giving people a schedule or telling them i'll do this or that by this time frame, i'm talking about self management.
You are right that it is difficult to accurately gauge the amount of effort that goes into game development because it can vary greatly depending on the individual and the project, but while it is true that a person with a lower skill level may produce poorer quality results or make slower progress, it is not necessarily the case that beginner game developers are overly optimistic about how much work it takes to make progress on a project. It is important for them, independent of their competence, to be realistic about the cost and time that goes into game development in order to manage their expectations and plan accordingly. You can't say that amateurs cannot or should not employ practices like schedules and planning because these can be beneficial for anyone working on a project, regardless of their knowledge or expertise. They can help to organize and prioritize tasks, keep the project on track, and ensure that the final product meets the desired specifications, and they do account for setbacks, unexpected accidents, and delays, btw, but i'm not here to lecture you. Sure it may be more challenging for newbies to uphold these practices due to their lack of experience, however it is not impossible and can ultimately lead to more successful game development projects, which again, brings me to what i initially said, passion means care and care means thinking it the fuck out before starting to code draw and etc going nuts commando head first.
What he's saying is that you could spend a large amount of effort and time working on something and have no concrete results.
Makes sense to me, nothing against that, which is what made me wonder why he mentioned it as if it went against anything i said

Last edited:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
No one has, these things are not set in stone, but either that doesn't seem obvious to you, or you are failing to understand what i am saying in the first place. Also i ain't talking about giving people a schedule or telling them i'll do this or that by this time frame, i'm talking about self management, if you think plans and schedules don't matter then ok lol not my problem you don't know about how software development works. Frameworks and methodologies to keep projects in track exist in businesses for a reason, and they do account for things like setbacks, delays, and the unexpected and accidents and shit, but i'm not going to give you a class, google it. And try to work in a dev team and then excuse yourself telling them "Uhhhh actual development isn't a steady process at all. " and see how long you last being part of the team. An amateur dev team that goes commando is more likely to fail because of scope creep, dev hell, backpedaling or whatever, even if he's the best programmer in the world. Sure if someone isn't a super experienced dev they'll struggle, but between new devs there are those who enforce unprofessional practices and those who have professional ones, which again, brings me to what i initially said, passion means care and care means thinking it the fuck out before starting to code draw and etc going nuts commando head first.
I keep telling you, dude. This isn't just software development, this isn't a business, and they aren't pros. In most cases, the entire "dev team" is literally one person. You can't treat this like a business because this isn't going to be their first, second, third, or even fourth highest priority. They'll work on the projects when they can. You're basically saying that it's not enough they're sacrificing what free time they have to work on these things, but that they need to pretend they're at work with their asses on the line and set up "Frameworks and methodologies to keep projects in track"? Get the fuck out of here.

Reactions: Karnewarrior

derakino999

Sep 30, 2017
I keep telling you, dude. This isn't just software development, this isn't a business, and they aren't pros. In most cases, the entire "dev team" is literally one person. You can't treat this like a business because this isn't going to be their first, second, third, or even fourth highest priority. They'll work on the projects when they can. You're basically saying that it's not enough they're sacrificing what free time they have to work on these things, but that they need to pretend they're at work with their asses on the line and set up "Frameworks and methodologies to keep projects in track"? Get the fuck out of here.
You see it as an extra work or a chore, when it is a helpful tool for staying organized and making the most of their time. The point is having something to help them stay focused and on track, not something that ends up being restrictive or overly burdensome, the key is to find a approach that works for the individual and their specific situation. How about you get the fuck outta here when you don't know shit about what you're talking about

Last edited:

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
You see it as an extra work or a chore, when it is a helpful tool for staying organized and making the most of their time. The point is having something to help them stay focused and on track, not something that ends up being restrictive or overly burdensome, the key is to find a approach that works for the individual and their specific situation. How about you get the fuck outta here when you don't know shit about what you're talking about
I ain't the one gatekeeping what a "true" passion project is and spewing bullshit about being able to see people's efforts. This whole dumb ass argument about schedules is irrelevant. I'm tired of wasting my time trying to explain that game development isn't an easy hobby, but is still a hobby for most people.

Reactions: Karnewarrior

derakino999

Sep 30, 2017
you kind of started it when you came in with your smartass attitude and doubling down when i tried to tell you that what you are saying doesn't go against what i initially said like you think you're implying anywya on that we agree i'm also tired of wasting my time

Beckz

May 11, 2020
Abandoned, huh ..

I do see that coming from the demo, but it's kinda sad to see it happen...

4.80 star(s) 13 Votes