Engaged Member
Aug 22, 2019
Under the Moonlight [v1.0] APK -

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Greetings,

This is the writer of 'Under the moonlight.'

It's been a while since the final version of UTM was released and the game is now slowly getting hidden under a line of new (and amazing) games on the site. I'm sorry I couldn't be here for the final release to respond to everyone personally.

(Though I could not be online here on f95 often) Ever since the final update was released, I have managed to read through every comment and reviews posted in this thread.

Thank you very much for leaving your feedback :)

With how many new games gets released every day and how little time we all have - I know it is hard to give feedback to everything you try.

Yet, some of you have been cool enough to take the time to share your opinions with us. Those opinions, positive or negative, help us a lot to understand more about our own works - what we are good at and where we lack.

In my case, the two biggest criticisms I've received for UTM were, 'the ending feels rushed' and 'the transitions feel choppy'.

And to anyone interested in hearing it, here is a rundown of what happened, what I've learnt from your feedback and what you can expect from my future works.

---

1. Regarding the rushed ending:

To start it all off, I promise you that every single word in UTM was written with only the best of intentions; i.e in the hopes of giving you an interesting VN experience.

However, I have also learnt (after reading some of your feedback) I could have wrapped things up better if I had been more careful in the initial planning.

When I first contacted JPace about the project. I told him this would be a very short project, with around 250 images in total.

We were both just starting out as a team and neither of us could afford to jump into a big project right off the bat.

Having that in mind, I wrote the story of UTM in a way that - it relied purely on 'what' happens to the characters and much less on 'why' it happens.

Though every little thing in the story does have a purpose, I intentionally chose not to dive into any of the details, in the hopes that just the implications behind it would be enough to convey a sense of journey for the players.

'That' is what eventually led to a seemingly rushed in ending in the eyes of some players. As they were not given the proper reason or explanation to why that was the right place to end the game.

I now realize that was a mistake on my part. Perhaps, it would have been better to treat UTM as kinetic novel focusing on just one of the routes. Thus allowing more room for me to explain some of the crucial elements of the game (the cat, the two moons, etc.)

Irrespective of its intentions, this was a mistake which made the game feel weak to some. I sincerely apologize for that. It is a mistake I will not to repeat in my future projects.

---

2. Regarding the transitions:

I would've loved to say 'this too was due to the short duration', but the truth couldn't be far from it.

The 'abrupt' scene changes would have probably remained the same even in a longer format, as it's a technique I've often used in my regular works.

I know it is not going to be easy to change something that you have been doing for a long time. But I will do my best to change that habit (or, at the least, find a way to make it work effectively.)

---

3. Regarding what you can expect from me in the future:

(Of course, there is the project JPace and I will work together on. But it will be a little while before that happens. So...)

Currently, I'm working with 'Underground Studio' on a long-running, college-centric, slice-of-life visual novel called 'The best days of our lives'.

In addition to that, I've also finished the script for another short story called "One Night Stand". It will be closer to UTM in terms of its tone and style, but without the supernatural element.

I've yet to start the search for an artist for this game. But rest assured, when it does get kick-started, I will use all the valuable lessons I've learnt so far and give a well-balanced experience through ONS.

---

Once again, thank you everyone for checking out UTM.

Looking forward to meeting you soon through my other games :)

Stay safe & take care.

yandex

Oct 17, 2018
Greetings,

It's been a while since the final version of UTM was released and the game is now slowly getting hidden under a line of new (and amazing) games on the site. I'm sorry I couldn't be here for the final release to respond to everyone personally.

(Though I could not be online here on f95 often) Ever since the final update was released, I have managed to read through every comment and reviews posted in this thread.

With how many new games gets released every day and how little time we all have - I know it is hard to give feedback to everything you try.

Yet, some of you have been cool enough to take the time to share your opinions with us. Those opinions, positive or negative, help us a lot to understand more about our own works - what we are good at and where we lack.

In my case, the two biggest criticisms I've received for UTM were, 'the ending feels rushed' and 'the transitions feel choppy'.

And to anyone interested in hearing it, here is a rundown of what happened, what I've learnt from your feedback and what you can expect from my future works.

---

To start it all off, I promise you that every single word in UTM was written with only the best of intentions; i.e in the hopes of giving you an interesting VN experience.

However, I have also learnt (after reading some of your feedback) I could have wrapped things up better if I had been more careful in the initial planning.

When I first contacted JPace about the project. I told him this would be a very short project, with around 250 images in total.

We were both just starting out as a team and neither of us could afford to jump into a big project right off the bat.

Having that in mind, I wrote the story of UTM in a way that - it relied purely on 'what' happens to the characters and much less on 'why' it happens.

Though every little thing in the story does have a purpose, I intentionally chose not to dive into any of the details, in the hopes that just the implications behind it would be enough to convey a sense of journey for the players.

'That' is what eventually led to a seemingly rushed in ending in the eyes of some players. As they were not given the proper reason or explanation to why that was the right place to end the game.

I now realize that was a mistake on my part. Perhaps, it would have been better to treat UTM as kinetic novel focusing on just one of the routes. Thus allowing more room for me to explain some of the crucial elements of the game (the cat, the two moons, etc.)

Irrespective of its intentions, this was a mistake which made the game feel weak to some. I sincerely apologize for that. It is a mistake I will not to repeat in my future projects.

---

I would've loved to say 'this too was due to the short duration', but the truth couldn't be far from it.

The 'abrupt' scene changes would have probably remained the same even in a longer format, as it's a technique I've often used in my regular works.

I know it is not going to be easy to change something that you have been doing for a long time. But I will do my best to change that habit (or, at the least, find a way to make it work effectively.)

---

(Of course, there is the project JPace and I will work together on. But it will be a little while before that happens. So...)

Currently, I'm working with 'Underground Studio' on a long-running, college-centric, slice-of-life visual novel called 'The best days of our lives'.

In addition to that, I've also finished the script for another short story called "One Night Stand". It will be closer to UTM in terms of its tone and style, but without the supernatural element.

I've yet to start the search for an artist for this game. But rest assured, when it does get kick-started, I will use all the valuable lessons I've learnt so far and give a well-balanced experience through ONS.

---

Stay safe & take care.
Best of luck dev, this is a wonderful VN both storywise and visually, hope to see lots more from you. Any details about the project you mentioned with JPace ?
In my books this VN is a short little perfect package, albeit for one grievance I have, that there is no visual depiction of the end result (ie cum) in either of the both sex scenes which does leave something very much desired. A visual depiction of the creampie is a must if you do accept the feedback.

Reactions: Arisushi

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Best of luck dev, this is a wonderful VN both storywise and visually, hope to see lots more from you. Any details about the project you mentioned with JPace ?
In my books this VN is a short little perfect package, albeit for one grievance I have, that there is no visual depiction of the end result (ie cum) in either of the both sex scenes which does leave something very much desired. A visual depiction of the creampie is a must if you do accept the feedback.
Glad you liked our game :)

About the project with JPace, nothing is set in stone yet. We both just agreed that we should work together on a bigger game in the future.

We discussed a few early pitches, but none of them really worked that well. So, we decided to work on other projects first.

When we do finalize on working again, we'll be sure to announce it here and on his patreon about it.

(One early detail we agreed on was - it will have grown ups / working adults as the main characters of the game)

And thank you for the feedback, that lack of any visual indication was due to my oversight in writing the scene. It does make sense to have a shot to properly show them cumming.

I'll be sure to be more clear about it in the future works.

• Love
Reactions: yandex

yandex

Oct 17, 2018
Glad you liked our game :)

About the project with JPace, nothing is set in stone yet. We both just agreed that we should work together on a bigger game in the future.

We discussed a few early pitches, but none of them really worked that well. So, we decided to work on other projects first.

When we do finalize on working again, we'll be sure to announce it here and on his patreon about it.

(One early detail we agreed on was - it will have grown ups / working adults as the main characters of the game)

And thank you for the feedback, that lack of any visual indication was due to my oversight in writing the scene. It does make sense to have a shot to properly show them cumming.

I'll be sure to be more clear about it in the future works.
Thank you for replying and accepting the feedback. I will be eagerly waiting for new content from you guys.

SomeGuyWithNoImagination

❤️ Keep comfy. ❤️
Game Developer
May 31, 2019
Greetings,

---

---

---

---

Stay safe & take care.
I wanted to say this before but couldn't figure out how to word it at the time. Luckily, someone reminded me to say this to you.

No matter what you do, you will always face criticism - some may be warranted but often it is not. You'll find that those who do know what they are talking about will be supportive while the most viscous haters not only don't support you but never will, no matter what is done to please them.

Taking criticism is a great thing. It means that you can see, acknowledge, and resolve flaws in your work. Taking hate on the other hand is not.

Don't listen to the hate. It won't get you anywhere and will often detract from your work and from you as a person. If the haters are complaining about updates taking too long to develop, don't start creating sleepless nights just so you can force regular updates out the door. Those updates will not be the same quality as if you were well rested and able to take your time.

You may think you are appeasing the masses, but in reality you're jeopardizing the quality of your project and likely your own health. Those very same haters will latch onto that to complain about.

If you give into one demand of the haters, they will immediately demand a hundred more. They are insatiable. They are not your supporters. They may believe they are helping, but all they are doing is turning your game into their game.

I am not a game developer. I do not know what game development is truly like. I, however, have seen many a project ruined because the team behind it started caving to the demands of the haters, throwing out the original vision in favor of whatever it was that the haters demanded.

Do what you want. Force out or ignore the haters. (They'll often remove themselves after realizing they're getting ignored anyways.) You'll see yourself grow a strong community which will support you in your original vision.

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
I wanted to say this before but couldn't figure out how to word it at the time. Luckily, someone reminded me to say this to you.

No matter what you do, you will always face criticism - some may be warranted but often it is not. You'll find that those who do know what they are talking about will be supportive while the most viscous haters not only don't support you but never will, no matter what is done to please them.

Taking criticism is a great thing. It means that you can see, acknowledge, and resolve flaws in your work. Taking hate on the other hand is not.

Don't listen to the hate. It won't get you anywhere and will often detract from your work and from you as a person. If the haters are complaining about updates taking too long to develop, don't start creating sleepless nights just so you can force regular updates out the door. Those updates will not be the same quality as if you were well rested and able to take your time.

You may think you are appeasing the masses, but in reality you're jeopardizing the quality of your project and likely your own health. Those very same haters will latch onto that to complain about.

If you give into one demand of the haters, they will immediately demand a hundred more. They are insatiable. They are not your supporters. They may believe they are helping, but all they are doing is turning your game into their game.

I am not a game developer. I do not know what game development is truly like. I, however, have seen many a project ruined because the team behind it started caving to the demands of the haters, throwing out the original vision in favor of whatever it was that the haters demanded.

Do what you want. Force out or ignore the haters. (They'll often remove themselves after realizing they're getting ignored anyways.) You'll see yourself grow a strong community which will support you in your original vision.
Thank you for sharing that.

It's definitely hard sometimes to identify where the line between 'constructive criticism' and 'directionless negativity' lies.

But I will try my best to separate the two and learn only the right things - while also staying true to my own vision and style as a writer :)

Dipsode

Aug 12, 2017
Short, yes, but well written .
Gripping, even bewitching.
Writing short stories is quite an art.
It reminds me a bit of the mastery that Frederic Brown, Asimov, Maupassant or others had in their field
And I think this one is really good.
Hats off to the writer and the illustrator.
It remains a taste of dream, a window to an afterlife that still runs in the head.
With a bit of imagination, it's just a starting point that makes us sail to other places... Yes, you have to put some effort into it,
For me, it's more a book, a story, than a game... Is this what was intended?
A beautiful, simple and successful story.
Yes, a really good job!

phillsm23

Jan 4, 2020
Renders are good.
Story is well written even for a simple short demo.
I'd give it a solid 4.75/5 stars for this.

But dev, just tell me one thing.

Is the Mysterious Woman REALLY a Ghost????

Arisushi

Game Developer
Jul 9, 2020
Greetings, this is the writer of UTM.

JPace and I have just launched the demo for our next game together - here.

This new game is planned to be a long running series and is also quite different from UTM in its tone.

We request you to give it a try and see if it's something that you might be interested in :)

4.00 star(s) 11 Votes