Ren'Py Under Your Spell [v0.1.1b] [Shady Characters]

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes

Steve70

Sep 13, 2017
Neither me, nor the artist has any ties with the developers of Innocent Witches. This is the first game project for both of us.
So, not the same artist who drew for Refuge of Embers, then.

By the way, there are many players who avoid "sandbox" games due to past, bad experiences with the genre. Most of the complaints have to do with "constant, haphazard wandering" required to locate events, so some kind of hint system or "steering" of the player in the right direction would probably be a good idea.

Last edited:

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
By the way, there are many players who avoid "sandbox" games due to past, bad experiences with the genre. Most of the complaints have to do with "constant, haphazard wandering" required to locate events, so some kind of hint system or "steering" of the player in the right direction would probably be a good idea.
Well, I do get that. There will be more events that explain what a how is happening, especially when we will finally add in shops and part-time jobs. And as the world gets filled in. But the main issue with such a thing is that the direction the player wants to go might not be the direction a developer might have in mind. This is something we are currently thinking about

Steve70

Sep 13, 2017
But the main issue with such a thing is that the direction the player wants to go might not be the direction a developer might have in mind. This is something we are currently thinking about
The trick is to give the player an idea of where he or she CAN go, and where to head when he or she is looking for something specific. If I want to find a stick, and know there is a forest to the West, I will head West in search of it. Or, if I don't feel like pursuing that for now, I will go do something else. On the other hand, if I want to find a stick and the only one in the game is behind an empty barn in a barrel that is only there on Tuesdays at noon, I am likely to get frustrated searching every location I can imagine.

BlasKyau

Devoted Member
Jun 26, 2018
Hmmm, I don't really see why you cannot just date one girl if you want to date one girl. But to each their own, I guess ‍♂
Edit: Because, I mean, you can only date one of the girls if you choose so.
The truth is that I see only an ending, so or there is an ending that includes all the LIs that interest me (which can be perfectly all), or simply I will not be interested in the game. I see no reason to try to find if of all the LIs I only like one because most likely I like two or more.

vilewe7570

Oct 5, 2021
But the main issue with such a thing is that the direction the player wants to go might not be the direction a developer might have in mind.
Having a common route makes a nice intro then let the player branch off from there. Don't know what classes to take and kinda wish the curriculum was less do whatever and more of you're on a path to meet all the girls then decide which one(s) you want to spend time with. Take Persona where a certain amount of class courses are required and how much extra effort you put in is up to you on your free time.

Reactions: Shady Character 1

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
Having a common route makes a nice intro then let the player branch off from there. Don't know what classes to take and kinda wish the curriculum was less do whatever and more of you're on a path to meet all the girls then decide which one(s) you want to spend time with. Take Persona where a certain amount of class courses are required and how much extra effort you put in is up to you on your free time.
This is actually exactly my point. Is see the game as more of a "school simulator where you also can date girls", and less of a "dating simulator where you also go to school". That's why from my point of view, I am trying to steer the player more in the direction of exploring your opportunities in the school, and meet the girls as they do so. I want the players to discover girls and wanting to know more, not presenting them with a whole roster of 10+ girls (yes, the current four are just the first batch), and just have them try to build to the one they like.

Reactions: gallows226

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
So whats the reason for the Itch io page flagging this game? Im not trying to cast suspicion im sure its fine, but still just wanting to know what the quarantine is about.
Is it flagged? I honestly have no idea. I read that it takes some time to get approved... And I was waiting for that. Can I see it being "flagged" anywhere?

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
So whats the reason for the Itch io page flagging this game? Im not trying to cast suspicion im sure its fine, but still just wanting to know what the quarantine is about.
Ok, browsed the web for a bit. "Quarantined" is a message you get when trying to download a game from a new developer that was not yet reviewed by the staff. Which would include us. We will hopefully get reviewed in a couple of days.

Freudian Slong

May 21, 2022
well maybe its just some auto security thing, hope you get that sorted out. either way im loving the game and im looking forward to future updates. best of luck

Jul 28, 2018
If it's worth anything given the very early status of the game: After meandering through the two months or so I reached the Trial of Mind, got stuck at the second set of doors until the other two finished, then the game went into an infinite loop saying I had five doors to go.

The rest of the game was pretty repetitive; I ran into three or four girls once each plus the puzzle tower once, so not a lot of stuff happening other than increasing numbers. Again, it's very early. :)

Shady Character 1

Game Developer
Apr 6, 2024
If it's worth anything given the very early status of the game: After meandering through the two months or so I reached the Trial of Mind, got stuck at the second set of doors until the other two finished, then the game went into an infinite loop saying I had five doors to go.

The rest of the game was pretty repetitive; I ran into three or four girls once each plus the puzzle tower once, so not a lot of stuff happening other than increasing numbers. Again, it's very early. :)
Thanks for feedback. It is really important for us to know how much content the games encounter naturally!
The endless loop is a bug, it should've set you on a "alpha end" screen, but I messed that up. But the alpha should've ended at that point anyway.

zekaum

May 24, 2018
Hello there!

The game seems very good so far. The premise is interesting and the art beautiful. My only concern is about the stats raising mechanics, which seems too difficult considering the importance of good stats in the game. For an example, even focusing my efforts to raise knowledge, it don't even reachs 50 by the exams time. And, in the first trial, I could not even pass a single door!

Is that intentional? Or am I just being noob? XD

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes