Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

wooody36

Jul 9, 2017
What exactly isn't working? Do you get an error?

Creating variable groups is on the roadmap. I think that will help with this
At first yes, but then I realize it was an old version and I have the latest updated game so I solve that problem, but now I can't edit anything.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I think I've asked this before, but are there plans to give a function to add variables rather than just editing existing ones? Sometimes, games have undefined variable errors and I have to exit the game and enable dev console to fix it.

X_shade

Aug 6, 2019
When i try to run Goodbye Eternity with URM game spits out this:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
UnpicklingError: invalid load key, '<'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
  File "renpy/main.py", line 492, in main
  File "renpy/script.py", line 79, in load_script
  File "renpy/script.py", line 192, in load_appropriate_file
  File "renpy/script.py", line 179, in load_file

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
At first yes, but then I realize it was an old version and I have the latest updated game so I solve that problem, but now I can't edit anything.
There was an issue before 1.13.2 that could erase variables in certain cases. Seems like that's what happened here.
You could check if you have an older save that doesn't have this issue or start a new game :(

I think I've asked this before, but are there plans to give a function to add variables rather than just editing existing ones? Sometimes, games have undefined variable errors and I have to exit the game and enable dev console to fix it.
It's on the todo-list. You can enable the console through URM btw, you don't have to modify any failes and restart the game.

When i try to run Goodbye Eternity with URM game spits out this:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 331, in bootstrap
  File "renpy/main.py", line 492, in main
  File "renpy/script.py", line 79, in load_script
  File "renpy/script.py", line 192, in load_appropriate_file
  File "renpy/script.py", line 179, in load_file
Seems like they modified Ren'Py, which prevents it from loading URM.

Reactions: desmosome

mrthrowaynn

Aug 22, 2018
Is there any way to get this tool working with my existing save of Harem Hotel? I tried starting up a new file and it worked but I'd rather not have to start my progress over completely

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Is there any way to get this tool working with my existing save of Harem Hotel? I tried starting up a new file and it worked but I'd rather not have to start my progress over completely
What's the problem you're experiencing? It should work on existing saves.

wooody36

Jul 9, 2017
There was an issue before 1.13.2 that could erase variables in certain cases. Seems like that's what happened here.
You could check if you have an older save that doesn't have this issue or start a new game :(

It's on the todo-list. You can enable the console through URM btw, you don't have to modify any failes and restart the game.

Seems like they modified Ren'Py, which prevents it from loading URM.
The image that I attach above was at the start of a new game. And the dev makes changes with each new update so old saves don't work.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
The image that I attach above was at the start of a new game. And the dev makes changes with each new update so old saves don't work.
Aah... if you get this when starting a new game this makes sense.
It seems that some of those variables don't have default values. Because of this they wont exist yet when you start a new game. They will be created during gameplay.

alex13_zen

Sep 30, 2019
I like this tool quite a lot and I've started using it over walkthrough mods. But I see it doesn't always detect when a choice will change a variable. E.g. in BaDIK if you pick Yes in the screenshot scene, it will increment a variable called tc (there are other similar situation as well).
Any idea why it works this way here? I usually can see when the score will change bc of a choice. Thanks!

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I like this tool quite a lot and I've started using it over walkthrough mods. But I see it doesn't always detect when a choice will change a variable. E.g. in BaDIK if you pick Yes in the screenshot scene, it will increment a variable called tc (there are other similar situation as well).
Any idea why it works this way here? I usually can see when the score will change bc of a choice. Thanks!
I've looked up the piece of code for your screenshot:
1672679141907.png
So... URM doesn't show this, because the variable change is inside an If-statement.
I've just put a task on my todo list to make URM also look inside those If-statements.

Vizer007

Oct 15, 2019
Tryed it in Mentor Life, same, Code - not found (on choices), but I could'nt unpack archive.rpa either to check whats wrong. I keep encountering this more and more often, actually, is there other ways to unpack and RPAPRO is too old for it?

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Tryed it in Mentor Life, same, Code - not found (on choices), but I could'nt unpack archive.rpa either to check whats wrong. I keep encountering this more and more often, actually, is there other ways to unpack and RPAPRO is too old for it?
I looked at some random choices in this game's code. Didn't see anything that wouldn't work. If you have a specific choice that doesn't show up as expected, please let me know which one it is.
BTW, unpacking the .rpa worked just fine with .

Reactions: Vizer007

CCrusader

Nov 29, 2020
Got a suggestion for a new feature. Trying to find the variable you're looking for when you have many of them saved is kind of a pain in the ass. Is it possible to make a feature to let us create tabs for variables and give us the option to name them? For example; a tab for the mc's variables, a tab for the wife's variables, etc.

Vizer007

Oct 15, 2019
I looked at some random choices in this game's code. Didn't see anything that wouldn't work. If you have a specific choice that doesn't show up as expected, please let me know which one it is.
BTW, unpacking the .rpa worked just fine with .
Thanks for the recommendation! Tryed some of the rpa unpackers and none worked, this the first one that actually worked! Maybe because this one works through python installed and others was just by themselves somehow?
By the way, is it safe to use and then stop using this mod (for example, forgot to instal it after the game update)? I mean, more often then not if you played with mods once then its either playing with it or not playing at all since your save go brick or show constant errors.
And another thing, maybe an option of some sound signal in path notifications? On choices the game stops, but on paths, you may miss it.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Won't start with Rogue Lite
See "F.A.Q." and "Reporting an issue" in the second post of this thread.

Got a suggestion for a new feature. Trying to find the variable you're looking for when you have many of them saved is kind of a pain in the ass. Is it possible to make a feature to let us create tabs for variables and give us the option to name them? For example; a tab for the mc's variables, a tab for the wife's variables, etc.
On the roadmap as "Variable groups"

By the way, is it safe to use and then stop using this mod (for example, forgot to instal it after the game update)?
It should be fine

And another thing, maybe an option of some sound signal in path notifications? On choices the game stops, but on paths, you may miss it.
I like the idea. I've put it on my todo list

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
URM is just getting better and better with each update, thanks.

Feature request: How about have an option to show the code for each choice in a notification slider, or an overlay on the screen, without having to click through the screen popups, such as: having to click the "Choices Detected" icon, and then click "code" for each choice.

This would make URM act like a customized walkthrough mod where it shows the score along with each choice without any extra clicking or need for additional user interaction.

For example, let's say the game has the choices:

"Check her out"

"Keep walking"

There could be an option in URM in the Notifications setting for "Code Notification", that is similar to the "Code Detected" popout that pops out of the side of the screen whenever a choice has code associated with it, with the code shown, that looks like:

Choices Code Detected
# Code
1 jenny_love +=1
2 jenny_love -=1

Then the user could just glance at the side of the screen for a moment, and then click the choice on the game that they want. This would eliminate the need to click through the URM popups and code buttons for every choice to see the code.

Another feature would be to make the notification popout have a transparent background, but this is more an asthetic choice.

What do you think? I think this would be incredibly useful, and make using your mod even more of a seamless experience.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes