Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.2.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes

MausMaus

Aug 2, 2018
Did a quick test, and I don't seem to have any issues -- URM works fine, searching/changing variables work etc..

Did you change your game in any other way except adding URM? I did have transparet text box, but I removed it and still didnt work.

What version of URM are you using? 0x52_URM.rpa is the file, not sure if it is the latest version.

Did you extract the game's or URM's *.RPA files? No I didnt.

I will re-extract the game, and add URM to the new folder and see if it works.

Did a quick test, and I don't seem to have any issues -- URM works fine, searching/changing variables work etc..

Did you change your game in any other way except adding URM? I did have transparet text box, but I removed it and still didnt work.

What version of URM are you using? 0x52_URM.rpa is the file, not sure if it is the latest version.

Did you extract the game's or URM's *.RPA files? No I didnt.

I will re-extract the game, and add URM to the new folder and see if it works.
This is the URM I am using

Edit:No, fresh folder just been extracted, same issue. I will download the URM from OP, see if that works.

Second edit: My version of URM was outdated, apologies, thank you for the help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boehser Onkel

MausMaus

Aug 2, 2018
"outdated" is a great understatement -- you were using version 1.5.2 which was published in January 2022 :ROFLMAO:
LMAO, yeah its been a while... xD
Honestly, I just seen the 1.1"5.2" in the OP title, and seen 52 on the file, my brain just connected them together as the same, no idea what goes on up there sometimes lol.

• Haha
Reactions: theMickey_
Feb 24, 2020
I've just tested:
  • New Earth, URM 1.14 / 1.14.1 --> 1.15.2 = self-update is working
  • Fetish Locator, URM 1.14 / 1.14.1 --> 1.15.2 = self-update is working
  • Freeloading Familiy, URM 1.13 / 1.13.1 / 1.13.2 / 1.13.2 / 1.13.4 --> 1.15.2 = self-update is working
There are two more things I can think of:
  • Do you have those games installed in a somehow "access restricted" folder, like "Program Files", or directly on "C:\" or "D:\" or something like that? Only Administrators have write access to those folders usually, so any self-update will fail if you run the game as a regular user from those folders.
  • Are you playing on Android with a game version that has URM already included? I've never tested this myself, but I'm pretty sure the self-update will fail in that case.
And if you're not playing on Android -- what platform do you actually play your games? Windows? Linux? MacOS?
Ah yes, I play the games on my main internal drive "C:\". Maybe that's why.

Reactions: theMickey_

Jswolf82

Jun 30, 2017
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/0x52/classes/main.rpy", line 139, in <module>
File "game/0x52/framework/loader.rpy", line 11, in load_file
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'endswith'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "0x52/classes/main.rpyc", line 136, in script
File "F:\FLASHGAMES\Town_of_Magic-win\renpy\ast.py", line 1138, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "F:\FLASHGAMES\Town_of_Magic-win\renpy\python.py", line 1122, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707
Town of Magic 0.66.011
Sat Jul 29 23:04:42 2023

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
tested
works with 0.66.006
Weird. I've just tested it as well (Town of Magic, version 0.66.006, unmodified) with URM 1.15.2 -- and I get several URM-related crashes as well. Different ones from what Jswolf82 posted above, but I don't even get the "You've install URM" popup, and I can't use ALT+M to open URM without the game throwing hundreds of errors in my face.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Weird. I've just tested it as well (Town of Magic, version 0.66.006, unmodified) with URM 1.15.2 -- and I get several URM-related crashes as well. Different ones from what Jswolf82 posted above, but I don't even get the "You've install URM" popup, and I can't use ALT+M to open URM without the game throwing hundreds of errors in my face.
well
i forgot to mention i used the unpacked urm.rpa
sry , its that common for me now that i sometimes not think about

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "0x52/classes/main.rpyc", line 136, in script
File "F:\FLASHGAMES\Town_of_Magic-win\renpy\ast.py", line 1138, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "F:\FLASHGAMES\Town_of_Magic-win\renpy\python.py", line 1122, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707
Town of Magic 0.66.011
Sat Jul 29 23:04:42 2023
You're using a very old version of URM (or you have extracted the .rpa of an old version).
You need at least URM v1.13.4 to be compatible with Ren'Py 8.1 games

Also, see:
I'm able can reproduce it, but it's not clear to me why this is happening. And it seems like only "Town of Magic" is affected?
So I don't want to put too much time into this. If it's something that affects multiple VNs I will investigate further.

Last edited:

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020
When ever I try to use the Textbox modification in "Full" mode the text reaches from one side to the other instead of having margins on the sides. Also is there a way of just removing text background while leaving everything else default?

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
When ever I try to use the Textbox modification in "Full" mode the text reaches from one side to the other instead of having margins on the sides.
That's just how it currently works. But someone already ask for an update to have (optional) margins to the left and right, and it has been "noted" bei 0x52 ;)

Also is there a way of just removing text background while leaving everything else default?
Currently, no (at least I didn't find a way of doing it). Might be a good feature request though... :)

Reactions: 0x52

Doom Marine

Oct 1, 2018
Hello guys, I'm having trouble with latest update Attack on Survey Corps, game crashes on start if mod is added! I would like someone to help me and also explain why it's crashing and if there's a fix?!

Thank you in advance!

He is traceback text!

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019
Also is there a way of just removing text background while leaving everything else default?
This will never be supported, because this could only work if every game implements it's background the same way.

Hello guys, I'm having trouble with latest update Attack on Survey Corps, game crashes on start if mod is added! I would like someone to help me and also explain why it's crashing and if there's a fix?!

Thank you in advance!

He is traceback text!
They're using a nightly build of Ren'Py for some reason, those are not meant for production and will probably contain bugs.
(Tested URM on the latest nightly Ren'Py build and it works fine, meaning the build they used is just bugged)

Last edited:

Doom Marine

Oct 1, 2018
This will never be supported, because this could only work if every game implements it's background the same way.

They're using a nightly build of Ren'Py for some reason, those are not meant for production and will probably contain bugs.
(Tested URM on the latest nightly Ren'Py build and it works fine, meaning the build they used is just bugged)
Got it, thanks for the explanation. Now it's time to wait for a new game update and pray it's not another buggy build!

Reactions: Boehser Onkel

bobdango

Dec 25, 2020

Ok makes sense thanks.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
Thx for great mod with freeze option, but, "Houston, we have a problem..."

Save/Load option
on all 0x52 versions after v1.9.4 (tue. 19 july 2022)
on all games
problem in "saveDir", maybe coz i'm on "administrator account" closed by default, that used non English symbols in path, it's has my locale symbols in path. (East Europe)

error absolutely the same in all games, same code/mentioned lines.

can we have please, save folder in game folder, not in OS/system environment path's?
thx.

here is simple tracelog (Perfect Housewife [v2306]):
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
0x52 found a workaround for "our" issue

Screenshot_1.png

just to let you know

Reactions: 0x52

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018
How can I use the mod to modify the grey text shown in this screen capture? It's not the text for any character I can find. Found Banu (b) and Banu (b_) but the text for these characters only applies to what they say. This text appears to be associated with what a character is thinking. Don't know how to identify text of this type.
screenshot0011.png

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
How can I use the mod to modify the grey text shown in this screen capture?
Have you tried the "Renaming" function of URM? There you can either replace character names or just replace words.

Here's a simple example:

Before:
1690876722890.png

Now let's replace "school" (which obviously is not a character name) with something else:
1690876834207.png

After:
1690876861230.png

Shiva11

Feb 8, 2018
Have you tried the "Renaming" function of URM? There you can either replace character names or just replace words.

Here's a simple example:

Before:

Now let's replace "school" (which obviously is not a character name) with something else:

After:
That would work if I just wanted to change the text in this particular scene. However I want to change the color of all instances of character thoughts in the game. Most text is tied to a character name but text of this type is not associated with any character that I can find.

5.00 star(s) 33 Votes