Mod Ren'Py Universal Ren'Py Mod / URM [2.4.1] (mod any Ren'Py game yourself)

5.00 star(s) 36 Votes

vayora5984

May 26, 2023
I tried my best to search if this had been requested before, but I can say with 100% certainty - the forum search is pretty awful :)

A quality of life improvement I think would make this great would be to treat an empty variable search query as a 'list all" type search. It is effectively the same as a full wildcard search with just "*", but it would be nice if this worked without having to enable wildcard search. IMO, it would make URM a complete replacement for needing developer mode (because this tool is freaking amazing).

I was considering making something similar because while the developer mode is great and all, it is as bare bones as can be. I am impressed with what you have built here, it is a fantastic addition to any game. Your mod blows what I had in mind out of the water, so I'm glad I didn't pursue mine (plus, python is one of my least favorite languages ;))

Johan_0000

Apr 14, 2023
I tried my best to search if this had been requested before, but I can say with 100% certainty - the forum search is pretty awful :)

A quality of life improvement I think would make this great would be to treat an empty variable search query as a 'list all" type search. It is effectively the same as a full wildcard search with just "*", but it would be nice if this worked without having to enable wildcard search. IMO, it would make URM a complete replacement for needing developer mode (because this tool is freaking amazing).

I was considering making something similar because while the developer mode is great and all, it is as bare bones as can be. I am impressed with what you have built here, it is a fantastic addition to any game. Your mod blows what I had in mind out of the water, so I'm glad I didn't pursue mine (plus, python is one of my least favorite languages ;))
Ok, I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to this.
From what I understood, you want to have all the variables appear when you press seach without the space being blank.
But, again from what I understood you can basically do that when wildcard search is activated.

So here come my question, is it rly such a hassle to turn on/off the wildcard search. It is a genuine question, I don't use it a lot that's why I'm asking (It's rly useful though).

And if dev/s decide to add that I'd prefer if it could be turned on/off in the settings. I may be spouting nonsense but on some games when I search a var it's kinda laggy sometimes (most prbbly bc my potato computer). Smt, I happen to search nothing accidentally and nothing happens which is great but if he adds that it'd list all variables. Which would most prbbly make the game crash on my end.
So yeah dev/s if you add that option pls make it optional in the settings

THX

vayora5984

May 26, 2023
Ok, I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to this.
From what I understood, you want to have all the variables appear when you press seach without the space being blank.
But, again from what I understood you can basically do that when wildcard search is activated.

So here come my question, is it rly such a hassle to turn on/off the wildcard search. It is a genuine question, I don't use it a lot that's why I'm asking (It's rly useful though).

And if dev/s decide to add that I'd prefer if it could be turned on/off in the settings. I may be spouting nonsense but on some games when I search a var it's kinda laggy sometimes (most prbbly bc my potato computer). Smt, I happen to search nothing accidentally and nothing happens which is great but if he adds that it'd list all variables. Which would most prbbly make the game crash on my end.
So yeah dev/s if you add that option pls make it optional in the settings

THX
No, not that much of a hassle, but it did take me a bit to find that there was a wildcard search in the first place. As I mentioned, it is just a quality of life improvement. Another idea, perhaps to help those with similar (ahem, potato ;)) machines, while also adding in the initial "here's all the variables" feature, would be to have another toggleable option to just display all when the search is empty/reset (no clicking search needed). I could picture it being a little "A" in the top right corner. That would seem to satisfy my desire to be lazy, and your need to not have URM crash your game(s).

Overall, this would be a pretty low priority feature request, as there is a simple work around. It would have saved me the time (and embarrassment) of not realizing there was even a wildcard search, though :p .

Reactions: Johan_0000

Johan_0000

Apr 14, 2023
Overall, this would be a pretty low priority feature request, as there is a simple work around. It would have saved me the time (and embarrassment) of not realizing there was even a wildcard search, though :p .
lol none of that here. And, honestly I may be spouting nonsense but I prbbly only knew abt it thx to one of their ytb tutos.
Ig that after some time when you're bored you begin to explore the tool too lol.

THX

_user

Jan 16, 2022
The side image isn't being scaled properly when using full textboxes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Looks like the game wants to use the side image as a transparent overlay instead of inserting it to the left of the textbox like URM does.

0x52

Ren'Py Magician
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2019

Thank you for your kind words.
I might change the behavior to have URM list all variables when you search an empty string.

A suggestion, it might be useful to exclude URM variables during search.
There shouldn't be much. Do you mean URM's settings?

The side image isn't being scaled properly when using full textboxes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Looks like the game wants to use the side image as a transparent overlay instead of inserting it to the left of the textbox like URM does.
This is some strang implementation of that game. Not something URM is going to support

Ptroll

Jan 22, 2021
Hello,
This is the Jessica O'Neil game, here there is a choice with a variable.
JessicaOn.jpg
Further on in the game, I want to change it but it can't be found in URM. Any ideas?
JessicaOn1.jpg

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
Hello,
This is the Jessica O'Neil game, here there is a choice with a variable.
View attachment 4136365
Further on in the game, I want to change it but it can't be found in URM. Any ideas?
View attachment 4136369
The variable is "choices", and from the examples provided, I assume it is a list variable. The first example is adding that quoted value to the list. The second example is testing to see if that value is missing from the list.

Reactions: 0x52 and theMickey_

Ptroll

Jan 22, 2021
I've opened “choice” of the 2nd image of my post.
JessicaOn2.jpg
If I've understood correctly, it's a listed variable and can it be changed?

5.00 star(s) 36 Votes