Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

e801207

Jun 9, 2017
So again, my concern is that non-ASCII characters may be in the pathname - you could check your full path to the game folder against this character table, any characters which are NOT in this table are likely non-ASCII:
Got issue with path X:\!TEMP\dir but X:\TEMP\dir works.. that's strange cuz old versions feels fine with ! symbol

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
... have a logging version of UnRen too ... ... it does seem to have found the location where something breaks, but it's very odd and may be a unique ...
Logging version. Useful i'd say and even better as my try to extract some more info for this. I am curious. Sometimes very. Care to share the strange findings? :giggle:

Got issue with path X:\!TEMP\dir but X:\TEMP\dir works.. that's strange cuz old versions feels fine with ! symbol
Yeah, something subtle seems to have changed - looking into it.
Yeah, thats the ancient "DOS batch" for you....

I believe EnableDelayedExpansion option removes the exclamation mark from strings(like path names) or interpreted it as syntax char. There are different statements to find about this. See for example and ("Unexpected behavior" and the history lesson are particular useful.)
1. Hold your directory names clean of special chars.
2. Poke batch scripts carefully and just with a veerrrry long stick. If at all. ;)

Greets

Last edited:
  • Hey there
Reactions: VepsrP

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
Logging version. Useful i'd say and even better as my try to extract some more info for this. I am curious. Sometimes very. Care to share the strange findings? :giggle:

Yeah, thats the ancient "DOS batch" for you....

I believe EnableDelayedExpansion option removes the exclamation mark from strings(like path names) or interpreted it as syntax char. There are different statements to find about this. See for example and ("Unexpected behavior" and the history lesson are particular useful.)
1. Hold your directory names clean of special chars.
2. Poke batch scripts carefully and just with a veerrrry long stick. If at all. ;)

Greets
That's why I most like the Powershell version of the script I wrote. Less hassle and more room for creativity:BootyTime:

• Hey there
Reactions: Madeddy

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
That's why I most like the Powershell version of the script I wrote. Less hassle and more room for creativity:BootyTime:
We are constantly bailing out the BATCH version, I am dedicated to keeping it basic for now. Headway seems to be made offline for some items recently raised, at least.

Yes, PS would generally be easier, I agree - as would rewriting the unpacking code from scratch to use more native Ren'Py libraries and not rely on keeping other packages running with string and bailing wire.

Semiguacamole

Aug 3, 2017
Can confirm 1.0.10 cannot locate python.exe when the game folder is in a path that has spaces or exclamation marks in it.

This works "D:\temp\gamename" but something like "D:\temp\!gamename" or "D:\temp\game name" will fail.

Paths with spaces or exclamation marks used to work just fine.

Reactions: Gauss84 and jpostel

fried

Almost
Donor
Nov 11, 2017
This script STILL errors out.
It does so if there is a SPACE in your folder name...
Please offer an example.

The latest update, which checks on incomplete Python installations to overcome limitations in irregularly packed games, has problems with some special characters - closing parantheses, exclamation point, etc. - but spaces have never shown up as an issue before.

Internal versions are working and once I get some additional test results the OP will be updated. For example, one test path I am using is:

x:\media\temp\Área de trabalho XYZ\Gamez (NSFW)\Devil's Dad - MurMur!-0.6-pc​

and the only thing remaining is handling the exclamation point.

Last edited:

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
So. I made some tests with v1.0.10 with use of a Win7 i run in vbox.
The pathname thingy:
  • The case where the path go's wrong if you have a "exclamation point/mark" in it is clear i think.
  • I tried and put a space in the path and got a "Path not found" error. Go figure...
  • With parens in the name i got a really weird syntax error: ("\lib\python3.*'" kann syntaktisch an dieser Stelle nicht verarbeitet werden. -> *trans* -> ... cannot be processed syntactically at this point).
  • I did try to make it work and noticed the error seems to orginate from the * wildcard. Replacing it to "...python3.9" makes things even more weird because he doesn't find the "...\encodings" dir anymore. After this it gets darker and stranger... i stopped.
Just my observations - what happened in my test. Dont know if this is from Win7 or whatever or a overall problem. I have also a Win10 in vbox - maybe i test it there out of curiosity if i find time.

Enough of this batch weirdness. Gruesome and headache! Thats the reason i began years back the unren rewrite in python: Less pain! (y)

Greets

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
So. I made some tests with v1.0.10 with use of a Win7 i run in vbox.
The pathname thingy:
  • The case where the path go's wrong if you have a "exclamation point/mark" in it is clear i think.
  • I tried and put a space in the path and got a "Path not found" error. Go figure...
  • With parens in the name i got a really weird syntax error: ("\lib\python3.*'" kann syntaktisch an dieser Stelle nicht verarbeitet werden. -> *trans* -> ... cannot be processed syntactically at this point).
  • I did try to make it work and noticed the error seems to orginate from the * wildcard. Replacing it to "...python3.9" makes things even more weird because he doesn't find the "...\encodings" dir anymore. After this it gets darker and stranger... i stopped.
Just my observations - what happened in my test. Dont know if this is from Win7 or whatever or a overall problem. I have also a Win10 in vbox - maybe i test it there out of curiosity if i find time.

Enough of this batch weirdness. Gruesome and headache! Thats the reason i began years back the unren rewrite in python: Less pain! (y)

Greets
In fact, I also tried to deal with the exclamation mark earlier. But if batch could be made to work with it, then python stopped seeing the files. In general, I decided that this was a pointless idea.

moron6969

Sep 5, 2022
I dont know why but this keeps coming. Beginner to coding, so idk a lot about batch and python.
I am using win 10 and the game is Miri's Corruption 1667839193569.png

lmblnn

Jul 10, 2022
Changing line 173, by adding quotes, makes above error go away for folders with spaces in them (python 3 and renpy 8):
From
Code:
 for /f "delims=" %%A in ('dir /ad /b /s %pythondir%python3.*') do (
To
Code:
 for /f "delims=" %%A in ('dir /ad /b /s "%pythondir%python3.*"') do (
I'm sure the file could to with more changes like that, for different versions of python and renpy.

moron6969

Sep 5, 2022
Changing line 173, by adding quotes, makes above error go away for folders with spaces in them (python 3 and renpy 8):
From
Code:
 for /f "delims=" %%A in ('dir /ad /b /s %pythondir%python3.*') do (
To
Code:
 for /f "delims=" %%A in ('dir /ad /b /s "%pythondir%python3.*"') do (
I'm sure the file could to with more changes like that, for different versions of python and renpy.
Thanks dude. changed the code and now it works fine.

Scy7he

Nov 29, 2018
I can't open the new version of unren at all...everytime I click it it pops up for like a few milliseconds and closes itself

It doesn't open in program files (x86)...but seems to run fine at program files...is this the special character issue?

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
I can't open the new version of unren at all...everytime I click it it pops up for like a few milliseconds and closes itself

It doesn't open in program files (x86)...but seems to run fine at program files...is this the special character issue?
probably parenthesis :unsure:

Scy7he

Nov 29, 2018

but my C drive name has parenthesis too...Drive (C :...so is this parenthesis already checked by unren?

Last edited:

VepsrP

Modder
Dec 13, 2017
but my C drive name has parenthesis too...Drive (C:)...so is this parenthesis already checked by unren?
No, your drive doesn't have it, it's just a display, but it really exist in the name of the x86 folder.

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
but my C drive name has parenthesis too...
Everything after the drive letter, so in your case "C".

I would advice users to stick with alphanumeric signs and hyphen, underline. I am not sure which other signs could cause problems if you have them in your filepath. However space, parens, exclamation-mark, percent, quote, slash and backslash are taboo for the work with Unren(and some other apps i bet).

Scy7he

Nov 29, 2018
Everything after the drive letter, so in your case "C".

I would advice users to stick with alphanumeric signs and hyphen, underline. I am not sure which other signs could cause problems if you have them in your filepath. However space, parens, exclamation-mark, percent, quote, slash and backslash are taboo for the work with Unren(and some other apps i bet).
the previous unren version worked fine on (x 86) folder tho... this is the first time it has refused to open there so I was wondering what changed

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes