Tool Ren'Py UnRen.bat v1.0.11d - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 9 Votes

Mortimer

Feb 9, 2018
Using 0.91 with this game: https://f95zone.to/threads/queen-of-spade-final-sinccubus.121504/#post-8405063, results in
Code:
   ! Error: Cannot locate python.exe, unable to continue.
            Are you sure we're in the game's root or game directory?

Press any key to exit...
Same is happening to me, too. I have searched through this thread and this happens occasionally with nobody really knowing an answer. Maybe a few screenshots of the files in the root could be helpful? CHanged the name of the root directory of this game to "test" because somewhere suggested weird characters in the directory name could be the culprit.

Reactions: hakarlman

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Same is happening to me, too. I have searched through this thread and this happens occasionally with nobody really knowing an answer.
Actually, the cause is known: a new version of Python that UnRen (in any version) does not recognize. The answer is known too: someone who knows how to, to have the time to modify UnRen to perform with the new version of Python.
CHanged the name of the root directory of this game to "test" because somewhere suggested weird characters in the directory name could be the culprit.
The problem you are talking about generates a different error message: something about not being in the game directory. The solution for that one IS to rename the directory, removing the offending special character(s).

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
Same is happening to me, too. I have searched through this thread and this happens occasionally with nobody really knowing an answer. Maybe a few screenshots of the files in the root could be helpful? CHanged the name of the root directory of this game to "test" because somewhere suggested weird characters in the directory name could be the culprit.
For Queen of Spade you must use the v13 version of unren from this post. The version of renpy you can normally find in the game directory in your gamefolder. There you have a file script_version.txt with contains the version number of the Renpy version the game was build on.

Exoplast

Engaged Member
Nov 2, 2017
That post seems to have removed v13 :( Is it anywhere?
Take the v8.00v1, because this is for the Renpy 8. The dev of the tool have rename the script for better matching with the renpy version. Also check always the script_version.txt to find out which Renpy version you must use.

zwelp

Feb 11, 2022
Open UnRen.bat in an editor and locate:

'
REM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REM Set our paths, and make sure we can find python exe
REM --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
set "currentdir=%~dp0%"
set "pythondir=%currentdir%..\lib\windows-i686\"
set "renpydir=%currentdir%..\renpy\"
set "gamedir=%currentdir%"
if exist "game" if exist "lib" if exist "renpy" (
set "pythondir=%currentdir%lib\windows-i686\"
set "renpydir=%currentdir%renpy\"
set "gamedir=%currentdir%game\"
)

if not exist "%pythondir%python.exe" (
set "pythondir=%currentdir%..\lib\windows-x86_64\"
set "pythondir=%currentdir%lib\windows-x86_64\"

Then put py2- in front of the bolded text above (in the editor, ofc). So e.g
becomes
set "pythondir=%currentdir%..\lib\py2-windows-i686\"

and so on for all 4 lines.

__

Thank you to the autor of this very useful tool.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Open UnRen.bat in an editor and locate:

'
REM Set our paths, and make sure we can find python exe
set "currentdir=%~dp0%"
set "pythondir=%currentdir%lib\windows-i686\"
)

if not exist "%pythondir%python.exe" (
set "pythondir=%currentdir%..\lib\windows-x86_64\"
set "pythondir=%currentdir%lib\windows-x86_64\"

Then put py2- in front of the bolded text above (in the editor, ofc). So e.g
becomes
set "pythondir=%currentdir%..\lib\py2-windows-i686\"

and so on for all 4 lines.

__

Thank you to the autor of this very useful tool.
Unfortunately that trick doesn't work with games that use Python3. The tool now at least finds the Python library, but it seems that a lot more work needs to be done to be able to extract those games.

I believe there already is an UnRen version that recognizes Python2 anyway, since I've been using it for weeks.

YawpMourne

Jul 22, 2018
Actually, the cause is known: a new version of Python that UnRen (in any version) does not recognize. The answer is known too: someone who knows how to, to have the time to modify UnRen to perform with the new version of Python.
Thanks for the summary, I was really starting to loose my marbles over this recurring issue with several of my games, most of which didn't cause any problem in previous updates.

I suppose I'll just wait for a new version by someone above my monke level in python...

Reactions: Walter Victor

Lucas979

Oct 13, 2018
Aqui pueden abrir los archivos rpa y extraerlos pero... los rpy extraidos dan errores :(
al menos ya es un paso, ya que se pueden extraer las imagenes y demas.

YawpMourne

Jul 22, 2018
starting to encounter issue;

" ! Error: Cannot locate python.exe, unable to continue.
Are you sure we're in the game's root or game directory?"

i'm placing it in the same place as always (main folder) tried game folder, same issue.
encountered w following.

Drop Out 2.0
https://f95zone.to/threads/dropout-saga-v0-2-0-alpha-lazybloodlines.123630/
Chosen 0.2.0
https://f95zone.to/threads/chosen-v0-2-0-beta-havgar.100917/

I'm afraid I won't be alone to wait...

The problem you are talking about generates a different error message: something about not being in the game directory. The solution for that one IS to rename the directory, removing the offending special character(s).

Thatguy

I exist.
Uploader
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
doesn't fix "my hypnotized family" (newer game). Idk about Love and Sex but I wouldn't unren that game because if you do, it breaks it. Pretty much only solution is just enabling always skip setting and going into the files and enabling the console but can't obviously get into the other files

EvilChef

Sep 23, 2016
5.00 star(s) 9 Votes