Tool Ren'Py UnRen for MacOS and Linux v0.8.2

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

joel69

Mar 30, 2018
OP updated to v0.8.
Appreciate your effort and finally got a chance to use this version; it didn't work when option 5 (quick save/load) was involved.

Starting the game would throw an exception saying 'invalid key specifier', so I checked unren-quick.rpy and found the following two lines:
Code:
config.keymap['quickSave'] = ''
config.keymap['quickLoad'] = ''
These two key codes must not be empty and are the obvious cause of the problem.

Solution (step by step):
  1. open the UnRen script in the text editor of your choice
  2. go to lines 49 and 50 which read # quicksavekey="K_F5" and # quickloadkey="K_F9"
  3. uncomment these two by removing each # and option 5 will work as expected (i.e. keymap in unren-quick.rpy contains K_F5 and K_F9, respectively).

goobdoob, I suspect you encountered the same problem in the past, hence the above two commented lines. Did you ever find out when they are needed and when they aren't?

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Appreciate your effort and finally got a chance to use this version; it didn't work when option 5 (quick save/load) was involved.

Starting the game would throw an exception saying 'invalid key specifier', so I checked unren-quick.rpy and found the following two lines:
Code:
config.keymap['quickSave'] = ''
config.keymap['quickLoad'] = ''
These two key codes must not be empty and are the obvious cause of the problem.

Solution (step by step):
  1. open the UnRen script in the text editor of your choice
  2. go to lines 49 and 50 which read # quicksavekey="K_F5" and # quickloadkey="K_F9"
  3. uncomment these two by removing each # and option 5 will work as expected (i.e. keymap in unren-quick.rpy contains K_F5 and K_F9, respectively).

goobdoob, I suspect you encountered the same problem in the past, hence the above two commented lines. Did you ever find out when they are needed and when they aren't?
Yeah...I commented those out chasing down another issue, and forgot to remove the comments. Oops! :oops:

Good catch. I'll fix that in the next release.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
was looking for an idiots guide for installing unren.command until I discovered instructions a few pages back...
thought I had it working but now getting this
"python: can't open file '/tmp/rpatool.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory"...
did you try to run it from the zip file?

Extract everything into the folder where you store your games, e. g. Downloads/Game. Run Unren and copy the games path into the commend console (Terminal) and select the option from the menu.

uberzubron

Nov 14, 2017
did you try to run it from the zip file?

Extract everything into the folder where you store your games, e. g. Downloads/Game. Run Unren and copy the games path into the commend console (Terminal) and select the option from the menu.
Pretty sure I did all that, I extracted unren.command from the zip and placed it in the game folder ran in terminal and pasted the game path....do i need 'unren tools' also?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
do i need 'unren tools' also?
yes, unren tools need to be extracted as well.

Possible that you followed one of my old instructions, but you do not need to extract it into the games's folder. It is enough if all the all the files are extracts somewhere. Goobdoob's code is smart enough to locate the games folder as soon as you copy the path into the command console.

uberzubron

Nov 14, 2017
yes, unren tools need to be extracted as well.

Possible that you followed one of my old instructions, but you do not need to extract it into the games's folder. It is enough if all the all the files are extracts somewhere. Goobdoob's code is smart enough to locate the games folder as soon as you copy the path into the command console.
I have unren tools extracted in downloads folder...dont know what i'm doing wrong then

icarusblue

Nov 6, 2018
Maybe someone can help. I tried using this to install a mod/walkthrough on a game. The instructions from the mod are:
  1. Download unren and place it into your Being a DIK folder
  2. Run unren and pick option 1)Extract RPA packages
  3. Extract the folder "game" from badik_mod to your Being A DIK folder
So I put unren.command in the app folder, run it, drag and drop the game app into the terminal window, hit enter, then select 1 to extract RPA packages. It runs through all it's business, but I don't see a way to specifically extract the game folder the instructions mention.

Can anyone help out a noob? Thanks.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Maybe someone can help. I tried using this to install a mod/walkthrough on a game. The instructions from the mod are:
  1. Download unren and place it into your Being a DIK folder
  2. Run unren and pick option 1)Extract RPA packages
  3. Extract the folder "game" from badik_mod to your Being A DIK folder
So I put unren.command in the app folder, run it, drag and drop the game app into the terminal window, hit enter, then select 1 to extract RPA packages. It runs through all it's business, but I don't see a way to specifically extract the game folder the instructions mention.

Can anyone help out a noob? Thanks.
It would help if you linked the mod thread so we can look at it, but items 1 and 2 are almost certainly nonsense. Ignore them; only do item 3. You don't need UnRen to install a mod.

The game folder in a Mac Ren'Py app is
<app>/Contents/Resources/autorun/game

Get to it by right clicking on the app, selecting Show Package Contents, and navigating down.

icarusblue

Nov 6, 2018
It would help if you linked the mod thread so we can look at it, but items 1 and 2 are almost certainly nonsense. Ignore them; only do item 3. You don't need UnRen to install a mod.

Get to it by right clicking on the app, selecting Show Package Contents, and navigating down.
Right, I totally should have done that! Here it is: https://f95zone.to/threads/being-a-dik-walkthrough-cheat-mod-v0-4-1-scrappy.29402/

icarusblue

Nov 6, 2018

It worked! You were right, I just needed to drop the cheat into the game subfolder of the app. Thanks for the quick reply!

Reactions: goobdoob

swp

Oct 15, 2019
You could mention in your first post that the main reason for getting the ''bad directory'' error is because of drag and dropping the folder into terminal, instead of typing it in. When you drag and drop, it pastes the location inside quotes ' ' and quotes ruin it for some reason.
Thanks for this tool.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
You could mention in your first post that the main reason for getting the ''bad directory'' error is because of drag and dropping the folder into terminal, instead of typing it in. When you drag and drop, it pastes the location inside quotes ' ' and quotes ruin it for some reason.
Thanks for this tool.
I do all my testing (and unrenning) with drag and drop. I don't see any '' when I drag and drop. But if I type in '' around the game manually, I get an error.

• What error are you seeing?
  • What is the path to unren.command?
  • What is the path to the game?
Copy/paste the unren screen.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I do all my testing (and unrenning) with drag and drop. I don't see any '' when I drag and drop. But if I type in '' around the game manually, I get an error.

• What error are you seeing?
  • What is the path to unren.command?
  • What is the path to the game?
Copy/paste the unren screen.
The entire terminal window shuts down as soon as you drag and drop the game folder into unren.command.

Last edited:

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
The entire terminal window just down as soon as you drag and drop the game folder into unren.command.
I have no idea what this means.

I can't drag and drop the game onto unren.command. Nothing happens. I run it, drag and drop into the terminal window, and hit enter.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I have no idea what this means.

I can't drag and drop the game onto unren.command. Nothing happens. I run it, drag and drop into the terminal window, and hit enter.
Sorry, I was wrong. Unbat.commend doesn't shuts down as soon as I drag and drop the game's folder. It closes after I hit enter. Here an example: I drag and drop Being a DIK's game folder into unren.commend. As soon as I hit enter or another key the window shuts down.

1584021570148.png

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote