Tool Ren'Py UnRen for MacOS and Linux v0.8.2

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Sorry, I was wrong. Unbat.commend doesn't shuts down as soon as I drag and drop the game's folder. It closes after I hit enter. Here an example: I drag and drop Being a DIK's game folder into unren.commend. As soon as I hit enter or another key the window shuts down.

View attachment 584407
OK, I think I get it. Your bash is really zsh, right? With auto quote turned on...:rolleyes:. They should have played with OSX more when they implemented that feature on Linux - OSX will escape spaces in paths, so you don't have to enclose the path in quotes. Enclosing the path in quotes means you can't simply use it in variables; you have to remove the quotes. Brilliant.

Try adding these lines right before the "game=$appdir/"... line:

Code:
    temp="${appdir%\'}"
    appdir="${temp#\'}"
swp in cases like this it's VERY important to say that you're running Linux and what distro.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
OK, I think I get it. Your bash is really zsh, right? With auto quote turned on...:rolleyes:. They should have played with OSX more when they implemented that feature on Linux - OSX will escape spaces in paths, so you don't have to enclose the path in quotes. Enclosing the path in quotes means you can't simply use it in variables; you have to remove the quotes. Brilliant.

Try adding these lines right before the "game=$appdir/"... line:

Code:
    temp="${appdir%\'}"
    appdir="${temp#\'}"
swp in cases like this it's VERY important to say that you're running Linux and what distro.
It works now :D (y)
1584023559175.png

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Updated to v0.8.1.

Changelog:
v0.8.1:
  • Handle a relative path used to invoke the script. Thanks to enigma9999 @ www.f95zone.to for the bug report.
    • Why not use realpath? It doesn't exist by default on OSX.
  • Fixed the quickSave and quickLoad keys. They were inadvertently commented out earlier. Thanks to Joel69 @ www.f95zone.to for the bug report.
  • Remove leading and trailing single quotes from the game directory.
    • Drag-and-drop on Linux puts single quotes around the path. This enables drag-and-drop on Linux.
    • Thanks to swp and cold_arctus on www.f95zone.to for the bug report.
  • Updated to unrpyc v1.1.3, which should fix some of the decompiling issues with newer versions of Ren'Py.

Last edited:

swp

Oct 15, 2019
I am using Ubuntu 18.04.The 0.8 version worked by manually typing the game folder's location but drag and drop didn't work:
08.png
This exact location worked if I typed it without quotes.

The 0.8.1 version doesn't execute the .command file at all. If I drag UnRen.command into terminal I get error: 081.png

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I am using Ubuntu 18.04.The 0.8 version worked by manually typing the game folder's location but drag and drop didn't work:
View attachment 586516
This exact location worked if I typed it without quotes.

The 0.8.1 version doesn't execute the .command file at all. If I drag UnRen.command into terminal I get error: View attachment 586563
Ah, hell. I switched it to zsh to test something and forgot to switch it back to bash.

Thanks for the report.

Edit: updated to v0.8.2. Shell changed back to bash.

Last edited:

Bulb69

Donor
Jun 9, 2018
I use normally unrpa to extract .rpa files. I try unren because is the only option all time suggested and i'm curious about how is work.

I am on Ubuntu 18.05. I try the most recent version the 0.8.2

For the problem of quote. For going fast. First i drag and drop. Two i copy and paste the line without quote.

By security i have install zsh. This change nothing. I have to remember to uninstall it.

Before writing this message. I take time to read.

The problem i have. When UnRen.command finish to start. The menu show but he show and restart in infinite loop. Only way to stop it is CTRL-C

This message show: UnRen.command: 144: UnRen.command: choice: not found

The line 144 show choice and any else. He his define after this line.

The other problem double click on the file launch nothing. I know i have just to go on property and chose shell script. But this option is not available on Ubuntu 18.05. Is not a big problem. Just to launch a shell from the repertory. But is not intuitive for all.

I turn back to unrpa. I wish this comment can help for the future development of the script. I try it back in few month.

Reactions: ubblesnop

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
o_O
I am not sure i understand this gibberish correctly and draw the wrong conclusions. My romulan-englisch is not very good.
I use normally unrpa to extract .rpa files. I try unren because is the only option all time suggested and i'm curious about how is work.

I am on Ubuntu 18.05.
First two lines and first two misunderstandings.
- "Unren" is not a RPA unpacker like "Unrpa". Unren uses such apps (and some Ren'py scripting) to get different tasks done. Its like a command center.
- There is no "Ubuntu 18.05." Not in this reality.
The other problem double click on the file launch nothing....
There is more as "double click" in the work with computers. No wonder...

The rest of the post doesnt make sense to me. Sry.

• Haha
Reactions: goobdoob

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017

I am on Ubuntu 18.05. I try the most recent version the 0.8.2

For the problem of quote. For going fast. First i drag and drop. Two i copy and paste the line without quote.

By security i have install zsh. This change nothing. I have to remember to uninstall it.

Before writing this message. I take time to read.

The problem i have. When UnRen.command finish to start. The menu show but he show and restart in infinite loop. Only way to stop it is CTRL-C

This message show: UnRen.command: 144: UnRen.command: choice: not found

The line 144 show choice and any else. He his define after this line.

The other problem double click on the file launch nothing. I know i have just to go on property and chose shell script. But this option is not available on Ubuntu 18.05. Is not a big problem. Just to launch a shell from the repertory. But is not intuitive for all.

I turn back to unrpa. I wish this comment can help for the future development of the script. I try it back in few month.
Are you sure you have the entire script? The function choice is defined on line 148, right below the error you're seeing on 144:
Code:
        choice
    done
}

function choice
{
It's acting like everything after function menu is gone, except the init call at the bottom of the script.

Also, like Madeddy said, there is no Ubuntu 18.05. Do you mean 18.04?

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hey the bully! Come talk me in french like you ask me to talk in english and you are in position to ask. But is not the case now!

Except expanse your ego with your pathetic tentative to look smart. Do you have a purpose in life?
Don't get offended by an obvious joke. No reason to insult anyone here. :)

But I have to admit your auto-translated text is a bit hard to understand. Which is totally normal for a French text. Not sure which translator you use but try Deepl.com - it is a good translation tool for lager text.

Bulb69

Donor
Jun 9, 2018
Are you sure you have the entire script? The function choice is defined on line 148, right below the error you're seeing on 144:
Code:
        choice
    done
}

function choice
{
It's acting like everything after function menu is gone, except the init call at the bottom of the script.

Also, like Madeddy said, there is no Ubuntu 18.05. Do you mean 18.04?
I downloads it right here in the OP 10 minutes before try it. I simply give you information to help you. I know is not possible for you to test on all configuration possible. I post a screen capture to show you. He start in infinite loop.

Copy paste of the script line 144 to 150:
Code:
        choice
    done
}

function choice
{
    read choice
I try few trick suggest here. But is already here if i understand well. I'm not very familiar with script. But logically call a function define only 4 lines after. Is not illogical instruction? I based on logical reflexion not on knowledge i do not have.

I open it on gnome terminal. Not in pure terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1). Maybe is this?

I erase the choice instruction in line 144. The message gone but not the loop.

I'm sure the problem do not come from your code principally because he work well in other computer. I think is my configuration, particuliary Ubuntu is the origin. But is only speculation.

I have any response. Only question. I wish this too long message can help you.

I know ow to do the majority of task of Unren by myself. Is not a necessity for me. I edit 00console.rpy if i need roolback or use unrpa to unpack *.rpa files.

If i show this information is not for me but for you. Because this problem is not a real problem for me. I have lot of alternatives. But i have other users in mind. For me is a part of free software spirit.

If you need more information or Data, i'm available. But i think my presence is no more necessary here. I have attached a video capture.

P.S: sorry for all the stuff in french in video capture. But i think you not lost anyway.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I downloads it right here in the OP 10 minutes before try it. I simply give you information to help you. I know is not possible for you to test on all configuration possible. I post a screen capture to show you. He start in infinite loop.

Code:
        choice
    done
}

function choice
{
    read choice
I try few trick suggest here. But is already here if i understand well. I'm not very familiar with script. But logically call a function define only 4 lines after. Is not illogical instruction? I based on logical reflexion not on knowledge i do not have.

I'm sure the problem do not come from your code principally because he work well in other computer. I think is my configuration, particuliary Ubuntu is the origin. But is only speculation.

I know ow to do the majority of task of Unren by myself. Is not a necessity for me. I edit 00console.rpy if i need roolback or use unrpa to unpack *.rpa files.

If i show this information is not for me but for you. Because this problem is not a real problem for me. I have lot of alternatives. But i have other users in mind. For me is a part of free software spirit.

If you need more information or Data, i'm available. But i think my presence is no more necessary here. I have attached a video capture.

P.S: sorry for all the stuff in french in video capture. But i think you not lost anyway.
I'm not sure, might your directory cause the issue? :unsure:
I am my own translator. And your joke is clearly not one. I see nothing funny. If you need to explain gag...

If you post me an attack. I have ripost to respond and is on automatic pilot. Take a breathe. I don't like bully and i know how respond. Now you are advised. I'm not your usual victim.
Well it wasn't me nor my post who "offended" you.

Last edited:

Bulb69

Donor
Jun 9, 2018
I'm not sure, might your directory cause the issue? :unsure:
I have any clue. Remember, i do not ask any heIp. I simply give information and data if this can help other people in future with the same problem. The script do not work for me. I use other solution. That's it.

I have any knowledge on this. I have any competency to resolve this. Is the reason because a video capture is also with the balance.

If this help to find a solution for other people with same problem. Is why i give you this information. For now. I have no reason to stay here.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018

Code:
        choice
    done
}

function choice
{
    read choice

goobdoob I was able to reproduce bulb's problem. The issue his how Unren.command is execute.

Bulb69 don't use "sh UnRen.command" in Terminal -> this is what cause the loop issue.

Either drag and drop Unren.command into Terminal or enable the "execution option" via Nautilus settings.

I think you understand what it is:
1585332843382.png

Madeddy

Dec 17, 2017
Hey the bully! Come talk me in french like you ask me to talk in english...
I am very far from such a person.
I made a joke or two, very obvious for most people, i pointed a few misconceptions out and did even try to help with some explanations and hints. What i got are just insults.

Also, my english is just self teached the last 30 years. Never learned it in school. So i surely don't look down at people who are not easy to understand/read, because my english is often the same.

Nice day.

don't use "sh UnRen.command" in Terminal -> this is what cause the loop issue.
Really? This is weird. Never encounterd something like this from a shell script? Anything in the script not legit so we get the loop from it?
View attachment 599689
Hätteste mal besser auf Denglish geschalted vorm Foto... :LOL:
Erwischt!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cold_arctus

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
goobdoob I was able to reproduce bulb's problem. The issue his how Unren.command is execute.

Bulb69 don't use "sh UnRen.command" in Terminal -> this is what cause the loop issue.

Either drag and drop Unren.command into Terminal or enable the "execution option" via Nautilus settings.

View attachment 599689
I wonder if /bin/sh is something other than bash.

What happens if you run "./UnRen.command"? It's got
#! /bin/bash
as the first line; it's a bash script, so if it's running in another shell I don't know what will happen.

On MacOS /bin/sh is bash.

Also, my english is just self teached the last 30 years. Never learned it in school. So i surely don't look down at people who are not easy to understand/read, because my english is often the same.
I imagine your English is better than my French! :p

Bulb69

Donor
Jun 9, 2018
UnRen.command not work at all. Nothing happen. I have check the file permission and all is done. I just apply the solution i know for this type of problem with script.

If i'm wrong ok. No problem.

Starting with info up. I find this. Ubuntu use DASH and not BASH. This explain all.

Link about this:

Howto with solution:

Reactions: scrumbles

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
UnRen.command not work at all. Nothing happen. I have check the file permission and all is done. I just apply the solution i know for this type of problem with script.

If i'm wrong ok. No problem.

Starting with info up. I find this. Ubuntu use DASH and not BASH. This explain all.

Link about this:

Howto with solution:
goobdoob bulb is correct. As soon as I switch from bash to dash UnRen.command stops to work.

Bulb69

Donor
Jun 9, 2018

View attachment 599689
The execution option is already enable. Is just do not work for reason post in precedent message. But with the syntax explain in the post of goobdoob All is work now. Now i know DASH and not BASH is default shell. I have all info needed for me. This is why i have install Ubuntu again my heart. Too much non standard stuff.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote