Mod Completed Urban Demons [v0.8.2 | FNFZone Mod Ver. 5.5 + Bug Fix G]

4.50 star(s) 13 Votes

ChillyScholar

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Oct 2, 2017
Honest question, does making maps using tiles instead of parallaxes make the game slower?

Deleted member 40325

May 22, 2017
Just make sure to test it to make sure your characters can move around. Nothing like being stuck in one spot because of invisible walls...

CrimsonINC

Sep 15, 2017
Honest question, does making maps using tiles instead of parallaxes make the game slower?
There are a variety of pros and cons from my experience. Parallax gives the potential for more freedom without having to create a ton of custom tile sets, but takes a bit more work to set up. I think it runs a little smoother, but that might just be personal opinion.

ChillyScholar

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Oct 2, 2017
*working on maps for Harley's apartment*
Hmmm where is in New York is it again.... Coney Island!?
How far is that from Central Park? ....An hour away!? Damn gotta make extra street maps to connect them...
How big is the building? Only 4 stories!? We gotta change this... I'll just add some throw away lines to explain the differences

ChillyScholar

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Oct 2, 2017
or you could install a fast travel system, be it magic, or the train stations
I'm kinda gonna do that with the sewers when you eventually meet the turtles
But what I meant is that I need several maps for New York so the distance between places make sense
Example: I wanted to make Central Park under the map containing Harley's apartment building but can't since in real life the two locations would be an hour away from each other and putting them right next to each other makes no real sense

CrimsonINC

Sep 15, 2017
I'm kinda gonna do that with the sewers when you eventually meet the turtles
But what I meant is that I need several maps for New York so the distance between places make sense
Example: I wanted to make Central Park under the map containing Harley's apartment building but can't since in real life the two locations would be an hour away from each other and putting them right next to each other makes no real sense
Having played and studied a variety of games, I'll say that in my opinion, when it comes to walking, less is more. I just spent 6 hours real time on a single quest, with a lot of potential missables, and 95% of that was slogging through overly large maps and nuisance battles just to get from A to B. Certainly exploration is important, but in this instance there was nothing really to find. You do good work, I'd just suggest gentle scaling for your maps; New York City is BIG!

ChillyScholar

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Oct 2, 2017
The biggest issue is that NYC is meant to have multiple visits so it was always going to be a bigger in game location, I'll figure something out

Reactions: CrimsonINC

Deleted member 40325

May 22, 2017
You can make large maps with exploring and Easter eggs to find and whatnot, but it's not required to make maps that connect other maps. Or if you really want that, then allow fast travel points for those who aren't interested in exploration. Just a suggestion to help you out.

Reactions: CrimsonINC
4.50 star(s) 13 Votes