Collection Mod Unity Virt-A-Mate Mod Assets: Clothing,Environments,Objects,Scenes,Looks,ect.

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alphalfa

Sep 3, 2020
I use a Quest 2, Works Awesome! Not sure about using 2 VR headsets. I am thinking that the computer would be challenged to keep up with processing power and it likely doesn't have ability to render 2 environments.

I really want to see Augmented Reality (using the cameras onboard the Quest 2) brought into VAM. Why can't I have a model dance in my living room? The challenge with AR would be the need to lock your view and only move the model.
I wasn't suggesting rendering on both. I pretty much new my hardware is a few years from being able to do that lol. What I had in mind was having a ladyfriend where the headset (probably backwards) while performing on me with possession of the female model activated. More realtime sync of movements

micwit

Sep 22, 2020
I wasn't suggesting rendering on both. I pretty much new my hardware is a few years from being able to do that lol. What I had in mind was having a ladyfriend where the headset (probably backwards) while performing on me with possession of the female model activated. More realtime sync of movements
That's awesome.
They need to add blue tooth motion capture devices that can be paired with the Quest.

Alphalfa

Sep 3, 2020
That's awesome.
They need to add blue tooth motion capture devices that can be paired with the Quest.
I was thinking the same... I got a bunch of old phones with sensors in them and bluetooth, some double sided tape, a seemingly endless supply of girlfriends-for-a-week, and VaM.... It would be really nice to have that happen... Right now I'm actually envisioning a patchwork shirt with pockets stitched into all the relative control points... I'd never come out of VR again

initpassw2

Nov 27, 2020
I have pulled all my financial support of the project, including artists, until such time as meshedVR sees fit to fully support my hardware. I can run MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in highest detail (edited config files to force higher than is possible in game), with ray tracing on maximum, and install vorpX to enable VR mode, and my fps never drops below 50. There is no excuse for VaM to run like garbage. I should be able to have 8 models of the highest detail running 80fps no problem with physics rate set to 288hz.

It's a really simple thing to add. So add it.
You do know a lot of your complaints are because VAM 1.X is an 'old' version which is no longer being updated and all work is being put into the newest version with the latest version of unity, right? You're pulling support for exactly what you want...

You should try to implement it for yourself if you think this is a simple or easy thing to do. Download Unity or Unreal Engine, they're free, and import some DAZ assets and set it up. It's simple, so add it?

zn0bzn0b

Aug 3, 2019
I'm not sure if anyone has figured this out yet, or if it needs repeating for someone, here goes:

If you go to ..\VaM\VaM_Data\ and edit boot.config with notepad or other editor you can add a 1 to the end of the first line so it looks like this:

gfx-enable-native-gfx-jobs=1

Seems to have netted me a significant performance increase. My systems bottleneck is definitely the CPU. Physics rendering is like 80% of my frame time. It sucks that meshedVR doesn't want to make a choice between nvidia and AMD and the end result is we are all stuck with garbage CPU bound physics processing while my video card sits at 35-45c. Imagine what world we would live in if 40 years ago game developers were like "oh we don't want to make a choice between windows and mac, so we'll just stuck with amiga." We'd all be stroking our dicks to space invaders. It's only a matter of time before SFM or another supports VR AND NVIDIA. It will absolutely happen that way. That's why the Call of Duty series has had like 18 different game developers and 46 game engines. I really like meshedVRs product, but he's building it for yesteryear, I have the hardware for today, and technology is just going to keep moving forward, and physx and cuda aren't going anywhere. In a game that really doesn't leave room for a sequel, the business plan to success will hinge nearly entirely on a developers ability to have his software ride the crest of the technological wave we are in. RT and Tensor Cores are here. CUDA and PhysX have been here for well over a decade. Every other game uses it or some garbage AMD supported variant. The games that support nvidia tech generally are smooth and have stunning visual effects and are a delight to play. Games that go down the AMD path run fast, then stutter, always a little glitchy on things, the lighting and visual effects seem outright drab to me, and the physics simulations either look like Morrowind or look halfway alright, but at staggering performance loss.

I have pulled all my financial support of the project, including artists, until such time as meshedVR sees fit to fully support my hardware. I can run MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries in highest detail (edited config files to force higher than is possible in game), with ray tracing on maximum, and install vorpX to enable VR mode, and my fps never drops below 50. There is no excuse for VaM to run like garbage. I should be able to have 8 models of the highest detail running 80fps no problem with physics rate set to 288hz.

It's a really simple thing to add. So add it.
Try running two instances of mechwarrior at the same time and let us know your results... basically what you're doing while running VR. I am currently using a 3900x locked @ 4.3ghz on all 12 cores, 1080ti +45 +450, 32gb 3200mhz RAM with VAM installed on a 1TB m.2 drive (with indexing off and confirming correct read/write speed with crystaldiskmark) and i still get low frames in certain situations. FPS in VAM ***TANKS*** from cloth physics, hair and lights. Any poor performance I get is usually to blame on the user created content (bad optimization on clothing, hair or plugins). Like someone said above, if it's so easy then implement it yourself. Thanks for the tip enabling that setting in the boot config. I'll try it next time I launch VAM. I suggest changing your physics rate to 45hz/1 or 90hz/2, 2 lights in scene set on Spot *MAX*, lowering hair multiplier count and increasing width, turning off physics on scalp based hairs and avoid using clothes with physics. Good luck

• Angry
Reactions: understandtim

initpassw2

Nov 27, 2020
He's repeatedly said he won't implement nvidia or AMD specific techs. Version 2.x will have an updated shitty unity physics engine. The lack of these features is 90% of the reason VaM hasn't blown up. Minecraft was more popular during it's completely unadvertised alpha stages because they listened to their users and implemented everything they possibly could. This is a critical component. It can't be ignored. Again, I can't stress enough that I am trying to save the project, not kill it.
Thanks for taking the time to explain - have you tried talking with Meshed directly? He's pretty active in the discord and I've had quite a few discussions with him about features where he takes the time to explain why he's made the decisions he has. That being said, the amount of physics in VAM is insane + it's also VR. It shouldn't be compared to a pancake non-sim game - they can get away with faking so much stuff for optimization. VR alone, let alone with lots of physics sim is hard to run well and optimize for. As the above user mentions though, basic models are relative cheap to run, it's all the assets being produced by the community that are not optimized which really kill FPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetZoner

Alphalfa

Sep 3, 2020
Try running two instances of mechwarrior at the same time and let us know your results... basically what you're doing while

I literally just said I was running MechWarrior 5 in VR. But there have been a few times when I accidentally had 2 instances open, and I was like "why is this running choppy, it never runs choppy" (around 30-40fps, 1 instance is usually at or close to 60fps. Still can't quite get it to my Rift S native 80fps.

frames in certain situations. FPS in VAM ***TANKS*** from cloth physics, hair and lights. Any poor performance I get is

That is because of the lack of CUDA, PhysX, RT, and Tensor Core support. CUDA and PhysX should just be a given thing for any game developed past 2010. I imagine nvidia and unity have worked together to make adding RT and TC support a pretty easy thing, I can understand holding back on those for now. They would certainly net performance gains. How much, I'm not sure. It would also put VaM on the very short list of games that currently implement those features. Features which will increasingly determine the success or failure of any game from this point on. Even shitty new consoles have ray tracing hardware. All praise and no constructive criticism is going to lead to a disappointing 2.x. It doesn't feel like 2.x is right around the corner. It feels like it's close to another year off. Spend a couple days and get us our proper nVidia support in 1.x, and watch the user base and patreon subscriptions rise. Game developers choose nvidia because it is superior and they make more money with less effort using nvidia. The only reason we don't have this yet is because he doesn't want to pick a side and that is bullshit. For both CPU and GPU, AMD is garbage in real life situations. AMD has always been garbage. AMD will always be garbage. ATI (now AMD gpus) was garbage and excessively problematic even in the 90s. Everyone I've ever known with AMD systems have random crashes all the time. When I tried an AMD system, it was FPS stuttering and random crashes even after putting a liquid cooled (then top of the line) GTX 480 in it. AMD is just for broke-asses who want bragging rights about all those big fancy numbers on the side of the box it came in, meanwhile, in private, they are CONSTANTLY frustrated with their systems and wish they could afford a proper intel/nvidia setup. My first intel was an 8086 4.77mhz processor and that crashed less than any AMD processor on the market today, in real life every day computing scenarios. Faster clock speeds does not mean better. More cores does not mean better. Just because for one second every now and again you can achieve better framerates, does not mean it's better.

suggest changing your physics rate to 45hz/1 or 90hz/2, 2 lights in scene set on Spot *MAX*, lowering hair multiplier count and increasing width, turning off physics on scalp based hairs and avoid using clothes with physics. Good luck

Again, physics. Surprise. On, my system, most scenes perform better with physics on 3. 80hz is the optimal setting I can achieve at the moment, but would always want to try and keep it at either an even fraction of, or even multiple of 80hz, which is the refresh rate of my Rift S. Previous Rift model was 90hz, you would want 45, 90, 180, 270, 360 on that. When I drop to 60 the physics are alright. 40 looks terrible. 240hz looks amazing but its slow mode. All the other settings besides render scale have almost no impact on my fps. my physics frame time is I think 12 or more ms. Everything else maxed is usually under 4 ms. So everything else is waiting 8 ms for the physics to complete, when if CUDA cores and physX were enabled, physics would likely be the first thing done. CPU resources would be freed up by all the processing on the thousand plus cores of your nvidia GPU. Cores that are just sitting dormant while the rest of your GPU does it's thing. The PHYSICS is everyones number one performance problem, because meshedVR has CHOSEN to ignore it. I will not give someone money who ignores the biggest problem. I'll find someone else to give my money to. Plenty of pieces of software have gone unfinished for the same types of reasons. I'm just making it clear to meshedVR, and anyone else who wants to inform him, what the consequences of his inability to make a simple choice because he has feelings about endorsing one or the other. nvidia works. AMD is broken. Go with nvidia.

Alphalfa

Sep 3, 2020
Thanks for taking the time to explain - have you tried talking with Meshed directly? He's pretty active in the discord and I've had quite a few discussions with him about features where he takes the time to explain why he's made the decisions he has. That being said, the amount of physics in VAM is insane + it's also VR. It shouldn't be compared to a pancake non-sim game - they can get away with faking so much stuff for optimization. VR alone, let alone with lots of physics sim is hard to run well and optimize for. As the above user mentions though, basic models are relative cheap to run, it's all the assets being produced by the community that are not optimized which really kill FPS.
This is something that has previously been asked for. The reason it's not being asked for so much is because the people who knew that was the problem and nothing else would fix the problem just quit asking and went to SFM or others. We ALL need to pester the shit out of meshedVR and demand and demand and demand this. He seems pretty determined to make the wrong choice. When we pull financial support from him, we can make the choice for him.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Robert Monotoli

vertamatie

Nov 18, 2020
This is something that has previously been asked for. The reason it's not being asked for so much is because the people who knew that was the problem and nothing else would fix the problem just quit asking and went to SFM or others. We ALL need to pester the shit out of meshedVR and demand and demand and demand this. He seems pretty determined to make the wrong choice. When we pull financial support from him, we can make the choice for him.
I was complaining to him directly in the discord and he told me point blank no way. So, yeah. I don't support him anymore.

Alphalfa

Sep 3, 2020
I read your earlier posts. The boot.cfg file is was interested me. I tried a 4 model scene with desktop view with the default .. I'm curious what that file really does because it only references the GPU .. of null, it was averaging 70 fps, then changed it to =1 and got the same results. Didn't benchmark test in vr though.

The thing I'm getting most of your perspective is what I went through a year ago, trying to overthink things. Used to be critical thinking why aren't things getting done, now it doesn't seem to matter. There is 2018 threads on reddit saying 2.x should be anticipated a year away, grandiose about Daz gen8 models, physx support. I gave up. It Is What It Is...

My bad. Also add this line at top:

gfx-enable-gfx-jobs=1

I'm curious what fps people are getting in the scene "duolips" mine was in the teens and low twenties. Now I am seeing into the 30s. 1x render scale, 80hz physics, 3 physics cap, all other settings maxed. If I lower the "other settings" to lowest, I only ever gain about 1fps on any scene. My testing was done in VR

They could have physx implementation in a day is my understanding. Basically just a plugin within the build. They just choose not to. I'm pretty sure you CAN actually get gen8 models into the current build. I've been meaning to play around with it to verify. It wouldn't be as simple as just clicking another model. I'm pretty sure you would need a separate install of VaM for gen2 and gen8 models. I'll be performing an anatomy on core files soon to see what I can come up with. I also so something encouraging that made me believe there might be the remote possibility of adding physx/cuda implementation to the current build. Currently, even if it is what I think it might possibly be, it's a little beyond my skill. I'll at least research it a little bit more and let you guys know what I find and hopefully someone can make a lil black magic happen.

Using this downtime to sift through cesspool directories to organize content I want to keep, exploring artists collection, learning how the .json files work and how directories should be correctly organized. Now I'm starting to appreciate what I have rather than GIMME MOAR.. because I'm afraid if we bite the hands that feed us we will have no moar. The drama posts between Karl VAMarx and A3, and the upset posts by Miscreated Reality in his efforts to give models muscle control .. that shits amazing. I don't want people to stop creating.. fighting this burning desire I need to pirate every single A3 and C&G release.. and then there's no moar. There will be moar with MeshedVR, but just let it happen, nice n slow.
Yeah, my directories are trashed. I have about 10 of half my morphs showing. If I type "breast" into the morph search, there's something like 200 pages of morphs. Probably shouldn't be more than 50 lol During game time, I do a lot of reverse engineering of all the various artists scenes to assimilate what they have going on into my skillset for when I begin creating all original scenes. VaM, and unity in general, needs to learn some organization. What a mess. I really think unity was about the poorest option out there. I think the decision likely hinged on the ease of importing the free genesis model into it. And even then, I have no idea why he chose gen2 when gen8 has been around for years. Gen 6 was pretty good, too. Gen3 seems like it had way more pre-existing content than gen2. It literally seems like gen2 was the poorest choice. I really hope VaM 2.x is not a big disappointment.

Last edited:

Alphalfa

Sep 3, 2020
I was complaining to him directly in the discord and he told me point blank no way. So, yeah. I don't support him anymore.
And this is why VaM user base isn't 10x what it currently is. Moronic to kill your own project over some petty ideals. Starting to feel like it's time to switch an alternative before I get too invested in a dead end project. What a shame

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.00 star(s) 5 Votes