Collection Mod Unity Virt-A-Mate Mod Assets: Clothing,Environments,Objects,Scenes,Looks,ect.

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Wolf_

Sep 25, 2017
you could send a screenshot of your Vam , to see how the folder structure looks like ?
It looks exactly the same, nothing changes. As long as the folder you are "linking" is the correct name of the folder, in this case AddonPackages. The folder wont look any different either, like no little arrows on it or anything.When you look at the folder properties though, it'll show the location of that link, which would be in another location.

This is basic game engine stuff, VaM looks for specific folders for content. As long as that folder is there and it's listed as a folder,vam will read it's content.

What do you mean by this? Does this mean that game will load all vars but there is performance gain?

Lets say i've 500 vars. I put those 500 vars into outside of vam but same drive. I create symbolic link then load game. Game loads faster? Does it load only vars that i need?
Yes and no. I have well over 500gigs of vars. If you keep the vars on the same drive, kinda pointless if you are wanting to free up space on that drive and to not let that drive being constantly hammered or used when VaM is loading/searching for vars. It's kinda like a load balancer. VaM will use the drive for stuff in its directories, when it needs to access the var's in another location, that other drive is what will be used for that only rather then both VaM and vars.

I "think" a large mount of vars that VaM has to cache upon load and scan causes the slow down. Not having them in the main directory could speed the app up overall since its not having to bog that same drive down doing this and "could" make the app more responsive when another drive could be taking some of the workload off it.

A simple test just to show it works with it being outside of the VAM folder is to just move the addonpackages folder to another place on the same drive, and make the link in the VaM folder. Once done, it'll look like it did before. As said, I tested this on a NAS, it loaded the vars over the network, so I know it'll work locally too.

Zlaito

Jun 23, 2020
It looks exactly the same, nothing changes. As long as the folder you are "linking" is the correct name of the folder, in this case AddonPackages. The folder wont look any different either, like no little arrows on it or anything.When you look at the folder properties though, it'll show the location of that link, which would be in another location.

This is basic game engine stuff, VaM looks for specific folders for content. As long as that folder is there and it's listed as a folder,vam will read it's content.

Yes and no. I have well over 500gigs of vars. If you keep the vars on the same drive, kinda pointless if you are wanting to free up space on that drive and to not let that drive being constantly hammered or used when VaM is loading/searching for vars. It's kinda like a load balancer. VaM will use the drive for stuff in its directories, when it needs to access the var's in another location, that other drive is what will be used for that only rather then both VaM and vars.

I "think" a large mount of vars that VaM has to cache upon load and scan causes the slow down. Not having them in the main directory could speed the app up overall since its not having to bog that same drive down doing this and "could" make the app more responsive when another drive could be taking some of the workload off it.

A simple test just to show it works with it being outside of the VAM folder is to just move the addonpackages folder to another place on the same drive, and make the link in the VaM folder. Once done, it'll look like it did before. As said, I tested this on a NAS, it loaded the vars over the network, so I know it'll work locally too.
It does work. But i created new folder in vam main folder and put my all vars there. Not sure if it's loading fast or not. Game does gain some faster than normal response. I've 2 SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 8TB. From what you saying if i put my main game in 1 ssd and vars on other ssd it will split drive load and makes game run little fast right?

_Wolf_

Sep 25, 2017
It does work. But i created new folder in vam main folder and put my all vars there. Not sure if it's loading fast or not. Game does gain some faster than normal response. I've 2 SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA III 2.5" SSD 8TB. From what you saying if i put my main game in 1 ssd and vars on other ssd it will split drive load and makes game run little fast right?
-Yes it'll split the load. VAM doesn't try to read or access saves or vars till they are called for. You can open task manager>performance and watch both drives, when you click to load a var, watch the drive you have them on and you should see it get activity with reads and writes.

-I want to say "yes" in theory this can make the app a little more responsive, might not help "too much" with loading, but it's a working theory which I saw some better menu loading and tab swapping.

For my test, the NAS, VAM started up pretty slow, mainly because it was having to travel over my network to get the files. Which I can resolve by changing the nas from being on my router to being directly hooked up to my pc via ethernet port, that way it'll eliminate USB speed restrictions and rely on the NAS cpu and drive speed for accessing them. So if they are on a local drive like an m.2 or ssd, it should go faster in concept. As said, was all a little experiment that gave me the desired effect I personally wanted, which was getting the addonpackage folder off the drive since itwas taking up the most space, but also knowing that having a lot of vars in the VaM directory could "possibly" be reason for some slow down rather then the amount of them, ,then again VaM does rescan/reload the vars every time you open "scene browser" or "open scene". That will not change untill 2.x changes the way the var's are being read and cached.

Last edited:

woosky67

Mar 21, 2021
-Yes it'll split the load. VAM doesn't try to read or access saves or vars till they are called for. You can open task manager>performance and watch both drives, when you click to load a var, watch the drive you have them on and you should see it get activity with reads and writes.

-I want to say "yes" in theory this can make the app a little more responsive, might not help "too much" with loading, but it's a working theory which I saw some better menu loading and tab swapping.

For my test, the NAS, VAM started up pretty slow, mainly because it was having to travel over my network to get the files. Which I can resolve by changing the nas from being on my router to being directly hooked up to my pc via ethernet port, that way it'll eliminate USB speed restrictions and rely on the NAS cpu and drive speed for accessing them. So if they are on a local drive like an m.2 or ssd, it should go faster in concept. As said, was all a little experiment that gave me the desired effect I personally wanted, which was getting the addonpackage folder off the drive since itwas taking up the most space, but also knowing that having a lot of vars in the VaM directory could "possibly" be reason for some slow down rather then the amount of them, ,then again VaM does rescan/reload the vars every time you open "scene browser" or "open scene". That will not change untill 2.x changes the way the var's are being read and cached.
What's the logic behind that it's faster to hook the NAS directly to your PC? 1gbit/s = 1gbit/s, that little bit of latency which a switch/router adds shouldn't really be a big difference. Or do you have 10gbit ethernet? That could be the difference.

Don't see the logic in this :) so I'm curious.

_Wolf_

Sep 25, 2017
What's the logic behind that it's faster to hook the NAS directly to your PC? 1gbit/s = 1gbit/s, that little bit of latency which a switch/router adds shouldn't really be a big difference. Or do you have 10gbit ethernet? That could be the difference.

Don't see the logic in this :) so I'm curious.
Feel free to be curious! I'm all for finding solutions and alternatives.

Well the NAS has a server grade HDD in it,so it's slow, but does have a 10gb port . I have two 2.5gb ports on my PC mobo. So its more so of an idea or "theory" that the reads would speed up a little more to eliminate any router/modem shortcomings since I don't think the modem/router I have has a 10gb port. My thinking in the test, was I don't care to much about the loading times, i just wanted to see if it'll work or not. Since it did and it'll work locally too I wanted to share my findings. I removed the symbolic link and put the folder back into vam. So I can now move to getting another SSD to put into the NAS box and then do the direct to port. There is USB connectivity I could use, but knowing the bandwith with USB vs a 2.5gb port is way less, figured it'd be something to try and see what the results would be.

Reactions: woosky67

Anon2469

Jul 13, 2020
2 vacs from ARCA to var, best of or jungsu315

jungsu315.Jessica.1

jungsu315.Yoon-G_V2.1

Thank you! Now i'm just hoping that someone will upload Jungsu Rebeca before the thread goes down.

VoidWalkerz17

Feb 14, 2021
Does anybody have biochrisd's stuff? I'm looking for this specifically and I'm wondering if anybody has it

Reactions: EDlanden
Status
Not open for further replies.
5.00 star(s) 5 Votes