4.70 star(s) 17 Votes

veachous

Dec 29, 2018
sorry for the topic switch but I just came across the patch notes of VAM version 1.22.02, in the tweaks section there a point that raised my concerns:

- Plugins - FileBrowser - added some callbacks and handlers as requested by a plugin creator.

can someone elaborate what that means?
what are the benefits of having this added and what are the downsides?
And most importantly is it secure as it is implemented right now ?

Last edited:

MrZack

Feb 24, 2020
sorry for the topic switch but I just came across the patch notes of VAM version 1.22.02, in the tweaks section there a point that raised my concerns:

- Plugins - FileBrowser - added some callbacks and handlers as requested by a plugin creator.

can someone elaborate what that means?
what are the benefits of having this added and what are the downsides?
And most importantly is it secure as it is implemented right now ?
As far as I know "callback" doesn't necessarily means its calling home, a callback function in code is a function that moves variables between codes, handler being the thing that moves them.

If its the filebrowser I imagine the said plugin creator wants to retrieve a variable from the VaM FileBrowser like file size for ordering / filtering for example.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Is there a way to lock custom unity assets in place? I keep moving stuff by accident
As with almost every type of atom there are two ways to achieve that:

1) Lock it in place by ticking the "Lock" checkboxes in the "Move" menu for the X/Y/Z coordinates as well as for the X/Y/Z rotation:

1689400072028.png

2) Disable the "Interactable in Play" checkbox in the "Control" menu to avoid selecting and moving it by accident:

1689400123990.png

The "CUA Superglue" plugin mentioned by mixmox82 only needs to be used if you want to "stick" a CUA to a person or any other atom.

• Red Heart
Reactions: urhenmon

Shadyacres

Nov 18, 2017
so, why would a lot of the looks I've downloaded not show up when looking to change out an actor in a scene? Tried through the physics tab as well

mixmox82

Engaged Member
Jan 19, 2022
Some looks comes as scenes, and you need to open the scene and export them first. Or use that Vamplugins plugin that loads looks from scenes.

krater458

Feb 23, 2021
Does anyone know how to improve performance? Some scenes no matter how low or high you put the graphics, will run like shit. Low gpu usage and low cpu usage for "Intensive scenes".

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Does anyone know how to improve performance?
I do recommend the following: search for MacGruber's "Benchmark" on the Hub, download it and all of its dependencies. Restart VaM, load the Benchmark scene, make sure to read and follow the instructions (make sure to "Apply Official UserPreferences" before running the official benchmark!), and then let it run (can be run in Desktop mode as well as in VR mode!). The benchmark takes about 10-15 minutes to run -- do NOT touch your system while it's running the benchmark!

1689579899247.png

That should give you a good estimate on what your PC is able to accomplish. After the benchmark is complete, click on "Save Results", and you'll find your results in Saves\PluginData\Benchmark -- post your results in the "Benchmark Results Discussion" thread on the Hub -- see the "Overview" of the plugin for the link to that thread. There you can compare your system's result with others.

These are my results for "Desktop mode" -- not the best, but not the worst either:

1689580995925.png

// EDIT: After you've run the official benchmark, you can try to tweak your settings and then run the "Custom Benchmark" to see whether or not you've just improved the overall performance. Do not post results from custom benchmarks to the discussion thread I mentioned before, because only official results should be compared. And because there's always someone mentioning the "GiveMeFPS" plugin -- here's a custom benchmark of my system after installing that plugin and using the "recommended" settings: that's like an "improvement" of like 3-4%, which I personally think isn't worth it, you might get better results if you tweak your settings individually and for each scene separately.

1689582442297.png

Last edited:

krater458

Feb 23, 2021
I do recommend the following: search for MacGruber's "Benchmark" on the Hub, download it and all of its dependencies. Restart VaM, load the Benchmark scene, make sure to read and follow the instructions (make sure to "Apply Official UserPreferences" before running the official benchmark!), and then let it run (can be run in Desktop mode as well as in VR mode!). The benchmark takes about 10-15 minutes to run -- do NOT touch your system while it's running the benchmark!

That should give you a good estimate on what your PC is able to accomplish. After the benchmark is complete, click on "Save Results", and you'll find your results in Saves\PluginData\Benchmark -- post your results in the "Benchmark Results Discussion" thread on the Hub -- see the "Overview" of the plugin for the link to that thread. There you can compare your system's result with others.

These are my results for "Desktop mode" -- not the best, but not the worst either:

// EDIT: After you've run the official benchmark, you can try to tweak your settings and then run the "Custom Benchmark" to see whether or not you've just improved the overall performance. Do not post results from custom benchmarks to the discussion thread I mentioned before, because only official results should be compared. And because there's always someone mentioning the "GiveMeFPS" plugin -- here's a custom benchmark of my system after installing that plugin and using the "recommended" settings: that's like an "improvement" of like 3-4%, which I personally think isn't worth it, you might get better results if you tweak your settings individually and for each scene separately.

Ive got a beefy rig, 7900xtx, 32 gb of ram, and 5900x. Only with intensive scenes the game crawls, and the issue is its not using both gpu and cpu. GiveMeFps works but the cost to visuals is too big and unnecessary when the scenes themselves are just not using resources.

mixmox82

Engaged Member
Jan 19, 2022
Hate to tell you, but the 5900x isn't the best for gaming. Frequency usually triumphs cores in this scenario.
(Exception being certain workload favor quick memory/ cache, e.g. the 5800X3D/ 7800X3D...)

32gb can also be on the low side for the badly optimized beast that is VaM currently.
If you need to use Windows swap file, that could tank some performance.
I had some bad time with VaM before I upgraded to 128gb.

krater458

Feb 23, 2021
Hate to tell you, but the 5900x isn't the best for gaming. Frequency usually triumphs cores in this scenario.
(Exception being certain workload favor quick memory/ cache, e.g. the 5800X3D/ 7800X3D...)

32gb can also be on the low side for the badly optimized beast that is VaM currently.
If you need to use Windows swap file, that could tank some performance.
I had some bad time with VaM before I upgraded to 128gb.
Its not the best but Its running 4.6 ghz, thats not enough?. And Its never touched past 27 gb of ram, but I will double this to see if somehow its ram related.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Its not the best but Its running 4.6 ghz, thats not enough?. And Its never touched past 27 gb of ram, but I will double this to see if somehow its ram related.
Have you tried to run the benchmark as I recommended to you earlier? What are your results?

Reactions: mixmox82
4.70 star(s) 17 Votes