Unity Abandoned Viva Project [v0.1.0] [sgthale]

4.30 star(s) 4 Votes

ShadowLad

May 28, 2021
Any mods started popping up? If yes, anyone tried them and care to tell how they are working? :)
Last I checked they actually removed the Mods Section on Discord and claimed itll come back later. So all that really is a thing is the pack I posted above.

From what Ive seen the game is a complete mess and the creator keeps promising things but never does them. Time will tell though

Reactions: mannanaama

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
good that I stayed true to my motto and don't "support" anyone via Patreon.
Because now I wouldn't get my money back.
and all the people who gave him money are now officially scammed.
And yes, I'm angry that he suddenly canceled the project without any good reason
ngl I was really close to supporting him on Patreon...
"Officially scammed"?
The game was released to v0.9.
I'd be interested to hear what promises he "made" that you feel he did not deliver on. Especially on a passion project that he started on his own for his own desires. Or what you think he should have added that you wouldn't have supported anyway!
A project, mind you, that only earned about $1k a month. Which, especially depending on where you live (like in my state for example) is not even enough to afford one MONTH of mortgage/rent.
This is not a giant game corporation making a AAA title. This is ONE dude making an incredibly niche project, that was worked on for five years. Especially on top of having to work an actual job, I'm sure. He even went through the effort of adding mod support and character import methods, which he had ZERO responsibility to do.
Crowdfunding is not a contract. You are not a shareholder. There is no guaranteed turn around for concepts/suggestions. A SCAM would be if he made a demo of a game, then never released anything past that. Despite reaching a crowdfunding goal that says, "I will make a finished game." A la, Kickstarter, which god help you is full of ACTUAL scams.
I wholly respect if you are just jaded and do not want to blindly support the first person you see. Everyone has that right, and you can be forthcoming about it. But to outright be angry about something you put no money into, and calling what he did a scam, is absolutely ridiculous and exceptionally disrespectful.

As a further note: No, I am not attacking you. Nor do I expect to change your mind, or want to start a cavalcade of fighting. But your take on this is exceptionally misplaced.

Mar 17, 2019
"Officially scammed"?
The game was released to v0.9.
I'd be interested to hear what promises he "made" that you feel he did not deliver on. Especially on a passion project that he started on his own for his own desires. Or what you think he should have added that you wouldn't have supported anyway!
A project, mind you, that only earned about $1k a month. Which, especially depending on where you live (like in my state for example) is not even enough to afford one MONTH of mortgage/rent.
This is not a giant game corporation making a AAA title. This is ONE dude making an incredibly niche project, that was worked on for five years. Especially on top of having to work an actual job, I'm sure. He even went through the effort of adding mod support and character import methods, which he had ZERO responsibility to do.
Crowdfunding is not a contract. You are not a shareholder. There is no guaranteed turn around for concepts/suggestions. A SCAM would be if he made a demo of a game, then never released anything past that. Despite reaching a crowdfunding goal that says, "I will make a finished game." A la, Kickstarter, which god help you is full of ACTUAL scams.
I wholly respect if you are just jaded and do not want to blindly support the first person you see. Everyone has that right, and you can be forthcoming about it. But to outright be angry about something you put no money into, and calling what he did a scam, is absolutely ridiculous and exceptionally disrespectful.

As a further note: No, I am not attacking you. Nor do I expect to change your mind, or want to start a cavalcade of fighting. But your take on this is exceptionally misplaced.
if I support someone financially on a project, I expect this to be completed as well.
Of course he's not legally obliged to do this, but it's just logical thinking and a matter of respect for his supporters.
Even I, as a non-supporter, feel like I've been hit in the face by the action, what should the people who gave him money and expected a finished "product" say?
Officially and legally it is not a scam, but morally it is.
But that's just my way of thinking, there are certainly many who don't care that they were indirectly cheated of their money

• Angry
Reactions: atur

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
if I support someone financially on a project, I expect this to be completed as well.
Of course he's not legally obliged to do this, but it's just logical thinking and a matter of respect for his supporters.
Even I, as a non-supporter, feel like I've been hit in the face by the action, what should the people who gave him money and expected a finished "product" say?
Officially and legally it is not a scam, but morally it is.
But that's just my way of thinking, there are certainly many who don't care that they were indirectly cheated of their money
Then that's where you're going wrong. If you don't give money FULLY expecting to never see it do anything (With Patreon, Ko-fi, Kickstarter, etc), you're doing it wrong. You are still not entitled to anything. You are donating.
Further, he never said it would ever be a "finished" game. He said from the get go that he wanted an open-ended (read: a game with no ending) loli headpat simulator. And that's what he made. If you came in expecting something else, (like multiplayer in Subnautica) then that is on you. He never expressed that it would ever be anything more than that.
And no, it is not "morally" a scam. If he had labelled it v1.0 I doubt you would have even said a peep.
I could write a program, never revise it, and label it "Version 13.69.420", if I wanted to. It meets standard versioning nomenclature in terms of how you should format versioning, but is not at ALL indicative that it has had 13 major changes, with 69 minor changes, and 420 different patches. A game can be feature complete before version 1.0 if a new developer has no idea what they're doing with version numbering. See Night of Revenge which is coming to release soon, from ver 0.54! That version number is based on monthly updates rather than total minor changes in game. And yet, what is called, "Version 1.0" will be out soon enough!
Nobody was "cheated" out of their money, the dev added multiple things he had no plans on doing before AS WELL as releasing his ENTIRE SOURCE PROJECT to devs who message him. This is him saying he feels the game is feature complete, and finishing his 5 year work stint. People CAN get burned out on doing things for such extended periods of time.

Reactions: atur and FrogFrozen

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
I agree that there was no scam here. He simply created something, and kept adding to it.

But I just slid over to their discord. (Side note, I believe it was shut down before, and they switched to an different version, open source that ran on linked computers rather than servers, so no central control over it. Wish I could remember what it was called.)

Anyway they have a link to the Open Viva project discord.

Not sure if this will work as an invote, but it is the link I followed to get there:

So to me it looks like it has shifted from one developer to many. That could be a good thing, but we need to wait and see to know for sure.

But I was informed there aren't any "forks" unless people are building their own private ones, and the Oven Viva project is where it will keep being developed.

Mar 17, 2019
I agree that there was no scam here. He simply created something, and kept adding to it.

But I just slid over to their discord. (Side note, I believe it was shut down before, and they switched to an different version, open source that ran on linked computers rather than servers, so no central control over it. Wish I could remember what it was called.)

Anyway they have a link to the Open Viva project discord.

Not sure if this will work as an invote, but it is the link I followed to get there:

So to me it looks like it has shifted from one developer to many. That could be a good thing, but we need to wait and see to know for sure.

But I was informed there aren't any "forks" unless people are building their own private ones, and the Oven Viva project is where it will keep being developed.
I really hope that the game will be developed "normally" by the new people without nsfw mods and additions, but I doubt it a bit.
at least the game isn't dead, at least for now

Chaste Degenerate

This Space for Rent
Game Developer
May 12, 2020
I really hope that the game will be developed "normally" by the new people without nsfw mods and additions, but I doubt it a bit.
at least the game isn't dead, at least for now
There was already a nude mod. Essentially it treated it like clothing. I believe it ended up getting removed to protect the Discord, or Patreon, even though it was not created by the creator.

But I do like the idea of letting people decide for themselves how NSFW it is.

Reactions: atur

AlexWingace

Jun 30, 2017
I hadn't played in a good while, so thought I'd check out the last update (9.3) to see how the game had advanced.

To say it feels like the game regressed is...Putting it lightly. All movement and interaction feels significantly worse than in older versions, characters moving around looks awful and is buggy as shit, and, I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong place, but the old house and all that seems to just be gone entirely. Now there's a half-baked Onsen with a kitchen and barely any other interactable. Plus, the classic character (and subsequently the other method of character creation) seems to be gone or buried somewhere. Not to mention the characters in its place are just Genshin characters for...Some reason, and they look like they've been ripped by three or four different people and have no consistent shading method.

Interacting with the characters in almost any way is straight up busted, and trying to hold their hand or pick them up oftentimes just results in Gmod style ragdoll physics flailing about. My VR controllers (Index) don't line up with the hands in the slightest, and the physical player body seems to get stuck on geometry constantly.

Simply put, this is awful. I was thinking that "Huh, maybe the previous commenter complaining about the state the dev left the game in was just being overentitled and demanding things be in the game that they personally wanted" but. Yeahno, as someone who played the game at multiple stages earlier in development and enjoyed it pretty thoroughly then (in and out of VR), this is atrocious. When did the dev decide to do a full redux of the game, in which they did a fuckton of meth, blacked out, and woke up with a whole new line of code and animations and go "Hm yes, this all looks good."?

I'm dearly hoping that people working on OpenViva can make this a functional game in the future. Needless to say, I won't be supporting whatever horror game the dev dropped this for. If they managed to do such a complete 180 on game development and somehow demolish what they'd had built up previously, I don't want to see what they do with a new game from the ground up.

4.30 star(s) 4 Votes