Warning All unity creators

Night Fox Works

Game Developer
Sep 10, 2023
This move by Unity is somehow even worse than what Wizards of the Coast tried to do with Dungeons & Dragons. I didn't think that was possible. There's basically two ways this is going to go down for Unity:
1. They backtrack everything in a few weeks, say "our bad", then wonder why so many people are still jumping ship due to the loss of trust (similar to how people left D&D for Pathfinder/other TTRPGs)
2. They double down and get to take on the combined might of HoYoverse, Disney, and Nintendo lawyers

rhaxe

Dec 13, 2017
because of the irregularities that are occurring with the CEO and his violation of the bylaws of the unity hub subscription contract, it is very likely that he knows the nintendo lawyers in person and believe me those guys are the definition of sharks in suits.
1694707221171.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ejmuerte

ejmuerte

Sep 24, 2018
I was planning to build my new VN in Unity ... I know I could use Ren'Py, but I am pretty familiar with Unity, and there are some mini-game that would be easier to code there.

Now the chances of my VN making $200,000 a year is slim. But 200,000 lifetime downloads is not out of the possibility, especially since every WebGL visit counts as an "install".

Right now the Terms of Service are unlikely to apply to me. But... if they change again in the future, or if by some miracle my game does become a success, then a site like Lewdzone would completely bankrupt me as every browser refresh would cost money (not to mention all the free downloads from here and itch).

I've never used Unreal before, but the game is super early in development. I might just be paranoid, but seriously debating if I should continue in Unity or switch and learn Unreal at this point...
sir, try use Godot many devs are promoting 2D games for Godot and it is close to same unity game engine.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023
sir, try use Godot many devs are promoting 2D games for Godot and it is close to same unity game engine.
Definitely will give it a try! Only thing is my VN is mostly 3D (I know, odd to have a Visual Novel be 3d, but it's more of a hybrid game). I heard Godot 4.0 came out not long ago and supports 3D better now, which alongside C# support makes it a very enticing move from Unity. Will give it a try!

rhaxe

Dec 13, 2017
I have been browsing and it looks good and I saw several games made in that engine and it really does not have much to envy unity and with the wave of support it has now probably the gap will shorten a lot, as happened with the design program krita and photoshot.

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Don't worry, while Unity didn't admit to making a bad decision, they did apologise for your normal reaction to that bad decision. You can go back to blindly trusting them now.

We have heard you. We apologize for the confusion and angst the runtime fee policy we announced on Tuesday caused. We are listening, talking to our team members, community, customers, and partners, and will be making changes to the policy. We will share an update in a couple of days. Thank you for your honest and critical feedback.

• Haha

Glorified_ignorance

Mar 28, 2019
Don't worry, while Unity didn't admit to making a bad decision, they did apologise for your normal reaction to that bad decision. You can go back to blindly trusting them now.

Unity's Ceo:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022

rhaxe

Dec 13, 2017
It appears that unity might be rolling back or modifying their policies. Looks like potential EU investigations, ad boycotts and a general backlash toward their new policies has had an impact on their plan. Would love it if Unity stays focused on the game community.

ejmuerte

Sep 24, 2018
It appears that unity might be rolling back or modifying their policies. Looks like potential EU investigations, ad boycotts and a general backlash toward their new policies has had an impact on their plan. Would love it if Unity stays focused on the game community.
even if they rollback the damage is done, the trust to all game developers is gone from unity and it takes years to build trust to use the game engine product.

most known indie developers have already shift to other game engine at this point and boy i would love to see the court suing Unity to the core.

rhaxe

Dec 13, 2017
If I were them, knowing that the European Union will start investigating every little thing about the company and my expenses I would be shitting bricks especially with the sale of illegal actions and the breach of contract of the adaptation of games that had made the current ceo of unity to Nintendo which hurt the sales of Wi U when it was part of EA.

Sep 16, 2023
Didn't last long:

We have heard you. We apologize for the confusion and angst the runtime fee policy we announced on Tuesday caused. We are listening, talking to our team members, community, customers, and partners, and will be making changes to the policy. We will share an update in a couple of days. Thank you for your honest and critical feedback.

• Haha
Reactions: rhaxe and ejmuerte

Shadesishere

Modder
Dec 5, 2020
Didn't last long:
"We're sorry you misunderstood us, now watch as we offer a few insincere apologies and "changes" and still increase our profits while laughing at you"

also, linked post is pointless, as Helgason isn't the CEO.

Reactions: rhaxe
Sep 16, 2023
"We're sorry you misunderstood us, now watch as we offer a few insincere apologies and "changes" and still increase our profits while laughing at you"

also, linked post is pointless, as Helgason isn't the CEO.
If you bother to read, you would see it also quotes .

Thanks for reposting what i already did 6 posts up...
You are wellcome.

Shadesishere

Modder
Dec 5, 2020
If you bother to read, you would see it also quotes .
I did read it, and Unity's post, and I fail to see how what I said is incorrect.

" We have heard you. We apologize for the confusion and angst the runtime fee policy we announced on Tuesday caused. We are listening, talking to our team members, community, customers, and partners, and will be making changes to the policy. We will share an update in a couple of days. Thank you for your honest and critical feedback. "

"We apologize for the confusion and angst" = We're sorry you misunderstood us. (You didn't, we all know this is about $$$)
"We are listening, talking to our team members, community, customers, and partners, and will be making changes to the policy"
= watch as we offer a few insincere apologies and "changes" and still increase our profits

"Thank you for your honest and critical feedback" = we are laughing at how we will take a tiny backstep but keep most of the policies and still make a profit.

Really, it's classic doublespeak, notice they don't actually apologise for their decisions? they subtly put the blame on everyone for "misunderstanding"

also remember that the current CEO used to be CEO of EA... and look how THAT turned out.

rhaxe

Dec 13, 2017
To our community:

I’m Marc Whitten, and I lead Unity Create which includes the Unity engine and editor teams.

I want to start with this: I am sorry.

We should have spoken with more of you and we should have incorporated more of your feedback before announcing our new Runtime Fee policy. Our goal with this policy is to ensure we can continue to support you today and tomorrow, and keep deeply investing in our game engine.

You are what makes Unity great, and we know we need to listen, and work hard to earn your trust. We have heard your concerns, and we are making changes in the policy we announced to address them.

Our Unity Personal plan will remain free and there will be no Runtime Fee for games built on Unity Personal. We will be increasing the cap from $100,000 to $200,000 and we will remove the requirement to use the Made with Unity splash screen.

No game with less than $1 million in trailing 12-month revenue will be subject to the fee.

For those creators on Unity Pro and Unity Enterprise, we are also making changes based on your feedback.

The Runtime Fee policy will only apply beginning with the next LTS version of Unity shipping in 2024 and beyond. Your games that are currently shipped and the projects you are currently working on will not be included – unless you choose to upgrade them to this new version of Unity.

We will make sure that you can stay on the terms applicable for the version of Unity editor you are using – as long as you keep using that version.

For games that are subject to the runtime fee, we are giving you a choice of either a 2.5% revenue share or the calculated amount based on the number of new people engaging with your game each month. Both of these numbers are self-reported from data you already have available. You will always be billed the lesser amount.

We want to continue to build the best engine for creators. We truly love this industry and you are the reason why.

rhaxe

Dec 13, 2017
there is a conspiranoid rumor going around the internet that makes some sense but hopefully it is just a theory the detail is as follows: Currently the 3 heaviest of unity sold all their shares and the one who has the largest amount is the founder of ironsurge (I think that's how it is written) a company that created a malware to obtain data from the players and had been annexed to unity it happens that the unity company has a net value of between 16billion dollars and 18billion dollars and there is a direct rival company of Ironsurge that offered to buy the company unity for 20 billion dollars but those who had more shares rejected the offer.

now the detail is that those who now have more shares one was a former founder of twitter, and the other two are very close friends of Elonk musk and founders of paypal along with elonk, the move is as follows: they forced the implementation of this measure in order to make that those who were not part of their group were forced to abandon the ship before they lost the money invested, thus achieving the acquisition of most of the company, something similar to what elonk did with twitter a few years ago, it is presumed that he has something to do with the move that is happening in unity in order to create a monopoly.

i hope this is just a rumor and that the person who thought it up just smoked a good dose of green.

bobbot

May 10, 2018
there is a conspiranoid rumor going around the internet that makes some sense but hopefully it is just a theory the detail is as follows: Currently the 3 heaviest of unity sold all their shares and the one who has the largest amount is the founder of ironsurge (I think that's how it is written) a company that created a malware to obtain data from the players and had been annexed to unity it happens that the unity company has a net value of between 16billion dollars and 18billion dollars and there is a direct rival company of Ironsurge that offered to buy the company unity for 20 billion dollars but those who had more shares rejected the offer.

now the detail is that those who now have more shares one was a former founder of twitter, and the other two are very close friends of Elonk musk and founders of paypal along with elonk, the move is as follows: they forced the implementation of this measure in order to make that those who were not part of their group were forced to abandon the ship before they lost the money invested, thus achieving the acquisition of most of the company, something similar to what elonk did with twitter a few years ago, it is presumed that he has something to do with the move that is happening in unity in order to create a monopoly.

i hope this is just a rumor and that the person who thought it up just smoked a good dose of green.
a rumor i heard is that it was simply a heavy handed move to try to kill applobin a potental competitor that they knew would not pan out well so sold stock while it was worth something, annother thing i heard that makes sense is that there might be an attempt to weaken unity enough for a buyout.