Ren'Py - Abandoned - What a Legend! [v0.6.02] [MagicNuts]

1. 5.00 star(s)

tropicalstorm

Incredible art, story, characters. I honestly like this art style better than Summertime(admittedly might just be that it's new and shiny). The day/night system is easy to work with/understand since every background has different colors for each time of the day. The game also strikes a nice balance in regards to its dialogue/gameplay/sexual encounters. None of these 30 min dialogues that some devs think we want to have for some reason and there are some actual humorous parts throughout. The quests are also relatively easy to follow thanks in part to the fact that I'm not having to skip 100 pages of boring conversation that I too often see in other VNs.

The game itself is already quite fleshed out, with mechanisms for replays already baked in as well as a functional journal/hint system. It's literally already better on the first release than other games that have been under development far longer with far bigger budgets.

Overall, amazing, must play game. This is one of those few games on this site where if you took out the sexual parts, it would probably still be worth playing through.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

Mithantrope

For 0.1

Awesome, unique art. Sexy female characters with different personalities. Great writing, with humor mixed in.

Not much sexual content or otherwise for now, but it is to be expected from the first version. The foundation is there at least.

Only thing I don't like is that female bodies, of those we have seen, are almost all the same. But girls are still very different looking, so that's fine,

5/5
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Pistolmax

Brilliant art with pleasantly diverse characters with a range of body types.. Lots of promise with a. large world map, regional maps and detailed local locations .
    Heres hoping this one lasts and that cool details are added, would be interested to see how the MC turns out.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Tlaero

(This review based on version 0.1 of this excellent game.)

I've been writing erotic games for just over a decade now, and I've seen a lot of games come and go over the years. Few have struck me as positively as What a Legend has.

You've seen the art in the spoilers. Yes, it really is that good. And it's that good throughout the game. Chestnut (the artist) is incredibly talented. Everything from the character visuals to the ambient animations to the scenery is top notch. But what really sets her apart from her contemporaries is the facial expressions. I haven't seen expressions this emotive since Mortze. And Chestnut draws them by hand! Respect, sister.

The storyline is deeply enjoyable. It's a comedy, and extremely funny (laugh out loud so at some points). But, for a story about a guy trying to have sex with every woman in the kingdom, it's surprisingly deep and heartfelt. The portrayal of women in many erotic games annoys me. This one does the opposite. They have feelings and motivations and, though the sex is hardcore and explicit, there's a tenderness there that's ... well, it's wonderful.

The gameplay is a great distillation of the classic erotic RPG style, without the grinding (stat grinding, that is...). Different things happen at different times of the day, and you need to sleep every night, but there's no arbitrary, "You only have 100 days," foolishness. And there's no, "Do this thing you've done a ton of times before to add 2 to your stamina." It's actually an adventure game more than an RPG, but done in the RPG style. And it works really well.

I've looked over the code, and Pistachio (the programmer) is doing a really nice job with it, especially for someone new to programming. The code is clean, and I only found two bugs, neither of which was significant.

I've also been interacting with the two of them on discord, and they're delightful. Keep up the great work, MagicNuts!

Tlaero
  5. 5.00 star(s)

RandomPersonX

The art in this game is very nice and clean and I actually like the humor in it as well. The knight guarding the gate stands out to me in particular, his animations and dialogue were executed damn near flawlessly. I'm excited to see what comes next and I feel like this could become one of my favorite games.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

CameronTrian

Been a while since i found a game with such nice artwork and a somewhat interesting story (so far). I quite enjoy games with day-night circle + quests you need to do before achieving anything. All i can say is this game has huge potential and i just cant wait for further updates.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Jackova

Probably best looking and most promising NSFW game I've ever seen. Love the questing and funny dialogue, love the diverse looking characters. For a 0.1 My expectations were blown out of the water. Now if only there were more content....
  8. 5.00 star(s)

supersomeone

Just from the little taste of content that we get from 0.1 I can already tell this is going to go down as one of the best games on this site. The story is intriguing (a mom abandons her baby at a brothel instead of an orphanage) and the art is fantastic. I just wish there were more monster girls and variety with the monster girls, but that is just a personal thing.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

Dave001

This game is fun and quite polished.

It borrows from some well known narratives and applies original ideas or twists that make it quite amusing to play through. The characters are interesting blends of old and new, and I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop.

Crafting would benefit, at some point in the game's development, from having a mini-tutorial or introduction at an early point in the game.

If you're wondering whether to give this is a try, you definitely should.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

theMickey_

This game, ladies and gentleman, is a true Masterpiece!

I usually don't play 2D hand-drawn novels, but the previews here were so tempting I had to download and play this game. And I'm loving it! This really is a Masterpiece on so many levels. First, the art is fantastic! I absolutely love all characters, backgrounds, maps, animations, everything is crafted with so much love and passion, every little detail! Then there's the dialogue: fresh, funny, entertaining, easy to follow -- again: I'm loving it! And third: the coding! I couldn't believe that this is a Renpy game, because it's so perfectly coded, all the little animations and transitions, even the navigation are so spot-on, I've never ever played any Renpy game which is close to this level of perfection!

Actually, this feels like a real game! It's funny, the sound/music is great, the art is beautiful and sexy, and so far no bugs (at least not for me).

Keep up the great work! You all did an amazing job!

An please, don't rush any updates, take all the time you need to keep this a 10 out of 10 game!
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Monolisk

Easily one of the most fun and well scripted games I've played, really looking forward to the progress of this one.

excelent story telling arcs with great art work and foreshadowing. All the characters so far have great depth and leave you wanting to know more about them and their cirucmstances.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

usa721

Love the art, it feels like a complete game that had time and effort put into it. Just wish there was more content.
    I was not expecting to love those fairy scenes so much. Made me feel all warm inside and stuff. I'd pay to see more nice/soft stuff like that.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

SysRegent

This has so much potential. The art is great, the gameplay loop seems fun, the story has levity in just the right way. Really looking forward to seeing where this goes - and how quickly.

My "allowance" for supporting these sorts of projects is already spent, but if this is going to be of the quality that I hope, I'm definitely gonna have to raise it.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

amBest

It took me about 5 to 7 lines into the game to get me hooked. It is amazingly fun and witty with amazing art.

Don't get me wrong, there are apprehensions to be had. 3d games are inherently scalable, just give the models and scense to whomever, have them farm the renders for you. Writing code for renpy games isn't tedious or very difficult if you know anything about programming. But hand drawn games are much less scalable.

Hence this score is more of a "on trust" kind of thing. It is an absolutely amazing start, I hope to see the game come to fruition, and I hope it doesn't take 5 years.

What there is here is amazing, but there isn't that much yet.

P.S. Also, I have to praise the gameplay a bit here too, I just have to!

Many devs think that if they don't add "choices", they will be considered a "VN" and the gullible masses will just ignore their game (that part about the gullible masses is kinda true, I don't get the hate towards VNs).

So what do the nincompoops do? They add wrong choices. You know the games, it doesn't have "paths" or "consequences" - it has "sex" or "game over".

Well this game had one of those choices early on. My heart skipped a beat thinking "nooooo, and it looked so good too!". But no, it was a clever and funny poke at those games. I like the direction the dev is going, and this actually feels like a "game".
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Rhyolite

bro, i never rated any game before, this is something else imo and i only played like 15 min. The love to detail is beyond anything else i ever saw here. I mean the map layout is so sick. The Art, Storytelling, Characters, Humor......A fucking Plus
  16. 5.00 star(s)

ninjainyoface

Really different from the cookie cutter Daz3D clone games, it's a breath of fresh air. The art is superb and the writing is good enough that you can tell the difference between each character. Here's hoping this thing takes off because I'd enjoy seeing more of it.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

JoJoTheJo

This game is absolutely amazing. The art -- as anyone can see from the samples in the OP -- is incredible. Very high quality 2D art of beautifully designed ladies, backgrounds, settings, and everything else. The writing is also great. So far the story is just beginning, but it seems to be interesting, contains a main plot and subplots, includes interesting and varied characters and is generally speaking very entertaining. All in all, a must play. I also recommend checking out the Patreon page of the dev because I believe such great work should be supported (especially when the dev isn't some huge or well known developer who already has thousands of patrons), but of course, each person has to decide for themselves if they can or want to support the dev. Whatever you decide, do yourself a favor and just play it.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

bashfulpigeon

First off, this game has A LOT of potential. It already has a basis of what kind of content it's gonna have through showing us a lot of locations on the map that're gonna be accessible, and it also shows us which characters are gonna have scenes and so on. I also like the fact that we have fantasy-esque creatures instead of just straight up humans. I hope we may see other fantasy races like Orcs or Imps and such. The women in this game look amazing too. It'd be cool if we could use the character builder the Dev has in place for Patrons to create our own custom characters (male) to use in the game for scenes and such but that would take time to develop and isn't necessary.

Pros:
    - Amazing Art Style
    - Great Animations
    - Beautiful Characters
    - Big World
    - Hint System
    - Promise of Content Through the Planned Scenes

Cons:
    - Didn't get the Birthday Harem :(
  19. 5.00 star(s)

arci

Greate graphick art. Nice and smooth story. With 5 difrent time fases which realy change location. Hint system is very helpful. Variation of characters looks nice. If game map will be used in full potencial, it will be very huge game :-D which i hope.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

blobmaneatsme

Pros:
    • genuinely funny and engaging from the first couple of lines, i'm ashamed to admit that i normally skip the dialog in these sorts of games but this story gripped me from the start and i haven't skipped a word since
    • the art is beautiful and the animation fluid
    • the sex scenes are hot
    • the puzzles have been logical and interesting
    • the progression of what you need to do next has made sense so far
    • and the hint system has been good when you get stuck
    Cons:
    • theres a bit of input lag on the controls that causes miss clicks and there occasionally a 1-2 second delay when loading a new scene.
    • this early version doesn't have a lot of content
    I look forward to seeing what else is done on this project because so far it shows a lot of potential