What Games Design lessons can you teach me?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
It's not, just like CYOA Books are not games.
Effectively, they aren't games. They are books, categorized accordingly to their support ; this in the same way that good old Visual Novels, that exist since photography exist, are also books for the same reason. And they are books that are sold in the literature section of games shops.

Therefore, computer CYOA-like are software. And how do we name a software made for pure entertainment that need the effective interaction from the user ? It seem to me, but I can be wrong, that we name them "games". They are special games, that fall under the "CYOA" sub category, like RPG that mimic RPG's features fall under the game's "RPG" sub category, 2D games with vertical scrolling where you've to kill as many people as possible fall under the game's "Kill'm'All" sub category, and so on.
There's not this much differences between a CYOA-like game, and a good old text based RPG game, or even a Sierra or a LucasArt Point'n'Click game. It's not the interaction mechanism that defined it as being or not a game, but the intended use.

The only grey area is when people stretched the definition of games that should not be stretched.
Why ? Peoples do that every time. It's the natural evolution of language.
People stretch the definition of "futanari" every single day here. And what about the definition of " " that moved so much that it's now the same than " ", what make peoples like , , or , looks like bad guys ? Hell, even and suddenly have to be looked with caution because of this change.

Being (way to) near my 50, if I take the time to think about it I surely can find tenth of words that nowadays don't anymore have the definition they used to have when I was a young boy. The world change, and with it our languages also changes.
Hey, found one without having to think, "cassette". In my native language (French), when I came to life, it meant to be a small box where you put your valuables (money, jewellery, etc.). Then, because less than 10 years before, the audio track started to be enclosed in a plastic box, the word slowly moved to its actual definition (audio and video cassettes). In the end, the word now have no real reason to exist ; it lost it's original (well at least when I was born) meaning, and now is used to name something that no longer exist.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
that we name them "games".
Colloquially, but that still has nothing to do with Gameplay.
Since we have redefined the term games to contain everything we can now have "Games" that have no Gameplay.
Aka your Walking Sims and Visual Novels.
Just because we are calling something that, that doesn't mean they magically get to have extra properties from the definition it has replaced.
Games existed before Video Games. Games meant something and had a definition before Video Games.
You cannot have your fucking cake, and eating the fucking cake too.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Since we have redefined the term games to contain everything we can now have "Games" that have no Gameplay.
..."value". That have no "gameplay value" in your eyes. That's not the same thing that not having "gameplay mechanism".

And since game design is the art (sorry, couldn't resist) to create "gameplay mechanisms" with the intent do possibly give some "gameplay value" to your game, I wonder who's in the wrong here.

Marcibx

May 5, 2018
How is that even remotely similar?
The game is story focused and as you progress you have to make decisions and then depending on your choices you get different things. (Yeah, DnD has virtually infinite outcomes and a virtual novel maybe a couple of dozens, but the principle applies.)

Yes it's called having a non-linear structure, non-linear content.
But gameplay is something fucking else.
Then why did you bring it up?

This whole thread you are interacting with me is not a fucking game.
Ruining lives by engaging with twitter is not a fucking game.
Being Wrong on The Internet is Not a Game!!
Well, I do my best to gamify it :rolleyes:, otherwise I would just get mad, but I am not here to troll. I mean these thigns. (I am not on twitter though)

The only grey area is when people stretched the definition of games that should not be stretched.
They should have called it something else since IT IS something else.
It fine if you use it in a colloquial way, but when we are talking about game design and game mechanics we cannot equate to with the colloquial definition.
OK, maybe I took the wrong approach. Enlighten me, what is the definition and what should it be called to make sure that dumb fucks like me cannot confuse it. A definition that leaves no place for stretching.

Actually, I thought it is you using the colloquial definition. My whole point was how the official definitions go and that I know that when we normally talk about game mechanics we don't mean things like clicking.

Games existed before Video Games. Games meant something and had a definition before Video Games.
If you mean that "games" meant anything that was fun to do, including running around chasing each other or looking at clouds and trying to figure out what they shape, then yes, you are right.

Last edited:

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
..."value". That have no "gameplay value" in your eyes. That's not the same thing that not having "gameplay mechanism".

And since game design is the art (sorry, couldn't resist) to create "gameplay mechanisms" with the intent do possibly give some "gameplay value" to your game, I wonder who's in the wrong here.
There is an Original definition of Games.
And by that original definition there is no debate on what Games,Gameplay and Game Mechanics are.
You don't even dare to call them Game Mechanics because you know you are wrong since you know what they really mean.
The game is story focused and as you progress you have to make decisions and then depending on your choices you get different things. (Yeah, DnD has virtually infinite outcomes and a virtual novel maybe a couple of dozens, but the principle applies.)
Except you know... the combat.
OK, maybe I took the wrong approach. Enlighten me, what is the definition and what should it be called to make sure that dumb fucks like me cannot confuse it. A definition that leaves no place for stretching.
Simple, a game needs to test a player's skills, that's it.

Marcibx

May 5, 2018
Except you know... the combat.
That is what I meant by dice.
Simple, a game needs to test a player's skills, that's it.
I like that definition. I can actually agree to that.

Btw, what do you think about "games" like Life is Strange? They are basically visual novels, but you have a 3D character that you can move. They don't require any skill.
Or "games" like Disco Elysium, where basically you just decide which skill (in-game, not player skill) to select/upgrade and then depending on your choice you get different outcomes in different events. Still, no player skill is needed. You just wander around and find or not find certain events and depending on your earlier choices get different outcomes, but that is not different from visual novel choices.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Alright, it's absolutely not something I have the habit to do, but since you insist to go on this field, I'll follow you on this field. Remember that you asked for it by bringing this, in response to me, too often on such short time.

There is an Original definition of Games.
Exactly, there's a definition of what games and video games are. Not knowing what reference you prefer, I used the main three indisputable sources.

:
An electronic game in which players control images on a video screen.
And they define as being, among many other definitions:
An activity engaged in for diversion or amusement.
:
A game in which you press buttons to control and move images on a screen.
And they define as being, among many other definitions (note that it's their main definition):
An activity that you do to have fun, often one that has rules and that you can win or lose; the equipment for a game
:
A game in which the player controls moving pictures on a screen by pressing buttons.
And they define as being, among many other definitions (again it's their main definition):
An entertaining activity or sport, especially one played by children, or the equipment needed for such an activity
Only Cambridge definition possibly disqualify CYOA-like as being games. But according to their definition, Point'n'Click and the old computer textual RPGs shouldn't be games either.

And by that original definition there is no debate on what Games,Gameplay and Game Mechanics are.
Since Cambridge and Merriam-Webster do not define it, here's definition of what "gameplay" is:
the features of a computer game, such as its story or the way it is played, rather than the images or sounds it uses
Note that it fully qualify the game mechanisms behind a CYOA-like, and even a kinetic novel, as being gameplay, while it totally not correspond to the definition you stick to on this thread.

You don't even dare to call them Game Mechanics because you know you are wrong since you know what they really mean.
No, I don't dare to call them "Game Mechanics" because I know that, not being a native English speaker, I already do enough harm to English language without the need to wrongly use "mechanics".

I'll be nice for the readers and only link to Merriam-webster, but Oxford and Cambridge obviously agree.
:
A process, technique, or system for achieving a result.
:
Of or relating to manual work or skill.

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021

I like that definition. I can actually agree to that.

Btw, what do you think about "games" like Life is Strange? They are basically visual novels, but you have a 3D character that you can move. They don't require any skill.
Or "games" like Disco Elysium, where basically you just decide which skill (in-game, not player skill) to select/upgrade and then depending on your choice you get different outcomes in different events. Still, no player skill is needed. You just wander around and find or not find certain events and depending on your earlier choices get different outcomes, but that is not different from visual novel choices.
Didn't Life is Strange had failure states? I haven't played it in years so my memory is blurry, but I do remember at least the final chapter had forced reset points if you fail the minigame.

A better example of a VN like game that has "gameplay" is Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy. If you fail minigames or QTEs, you get an abrupt bad ending, forcing a reload to continue the story. Which to me is how one can separate a VN from a game. If there are obstacles in the way of the main story, that's gameplay.

Skill required is highly subjective, obstacle is objectively definable. Choose Your Own Adventure book is a gamebook because you can fail, and require a restart to experience more of the story. You can't fail reading Harry Potter except stopping of your own volition.

Regardless, creative works blur the lines by nature, there's no need to dwell on definitions. Poems have formats and structure, doesn't mean you shouldn't or couldn't break the rules for the better of the art form.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
That's merely the resolution.
You are missing the tactics, maneuvers, action selection and positioning.
In fact most Tabletop RPG can have infinite actions if the player and GM decide on what actions are possible in game and what skills are relevant to that check.
Just because the skill check is random, doesn't mean the tactical value of that action is also random.
The best way to describe them is "Interactive Experiences", all Games are Interactive Experiences but not all Interactive Experiences are Games. This is what it should be the accurate definition on what is now called "Games".
Still, no player skill is needed.
Player skills are not just twitch skills. It can be knowledge and strategy also.
For this kind of games you usually have resource management and character build construction.
But I agree with you that Disco Elysium is not much of a game.

An activity that you do to have fun, often one that has rules and that you can win or lose; the equipment for a game
Good. Now if you also understand how Fun and Play require player skills and the testing of those skills, with the rules and win and lose precisely how you define the test.
An entertaining activity or sport, especially one played by children, or the equipment needed for such an activity
Again Children Play, which is fundamental behaviour, and you can't redefine Play which is fundamental human behaviour.
But according to their definition, Point'n'Click and the old computer textual RPGs shouldn't be games either.
Depends, they still had some puzzles and resource management, and you can certainly fail on solving those puzzles.
Which is still much more than what you see nowadays.
But yes, Adventure Games were what Visual Novels and Walking Sims are now. And just like now they were called games back then also.
Skill required is highly subjective, obstacle is objectively definable.
While it might be subjective to some, since they don't know all the skills that apply. Anything that can be learned and can be tested is a skill.
Play requires skills, while not all obstacles and failure state require skills.
If your progress is stopped by Randomness like you see in some "Sandbox" games here would you call that gameplay?
By your definition it would.

And if that is Gameplay then what is the point of discussing Gameplay anymore? The results will all be Garbage since implementing any random system would have been considered to have already achieved Gameplay.
If we were to use my definition of understanding what player skills apply when implementing systems would the results still be the same?

In fact it's precisely here where this exact problem is most prevalent, and if I were to agree with you all that would mean that I precisely damn this community to its fate.

If you want to talk about Game Design and Gameplay, you need to first define your Objective, that will inform your Choice on what Definition of Game you want to use.
If you are fine with how things are then there is no need for an discussion on Game Design and Gameplay.

Last edited:

Marcibx

May 5, 2018
That's merely the resolution.
You are missing the tactics, maneuvers, action selection and positioning.
You are right. I was wrong on this one.
The best way to describe them is "Interactive Experiences", all Games are Interactive Experiences but not all Interactive Experiences are Games. This is what it should be the accurate definition on what is now called "Games".
First of all, I want to remind you again, that you are not the one dictating how things should be defined. Also, everything is an interactive experience when you interact with something (e.g. writing on this thread). An IE becomes a game once it is fun. (A bit more nuanced than that, but I hope you will get my point.)
Player skills are not just twitch skills. It can be knowledge and strategy also.
For this kind of games you usually have resource management and character build construction.
But I agree with you that Disco Elysium is not much of a game.
OK, but then we are back where we began, because if knowledge and strategy [a plan of action designed to achieve a long-term or overall aim] counts, then non-kinetic VNs are games. You make decisions with a desired outcome in mind (=strategy) and you need some knowledge to make the right decision to get that. And sure, probably you need them to a lesser degree than you would need in a more complex game, but then we are back at arguing about the degree, which is impossible to define clearly, thus it is a grey area.

I would also argue that distributing skill points is not resource management. (with a strict definition they are, but for the sake of this argument lets say they are not) Resource management is in games like Age of Empires or Sims. If we would lower the bar so low, then every VN that has a money mechanic in it would count as a (strategy) game.
And character build construction is not a skill. You decide and then you get something, but you cannot make a bad decision and then lose because you went for endurance instead of power, you just get different options.
Good. Now if you also understand how Fun and Play require player skills and the testing of those skills, with the rules and win and lose precisely how you define the test.
I think you are missing a key word in the definition. It says "often" and not "always". Sure, I am not arguing that the majority of the games are VNs, but there is a place for them among games.

Didn't Life is Strange had failure states? I haven't played it in years so my memory is blurry, but I do remember at least the final chapter had forced reset points if you fail the minigame.
Yeah, but they were the result of the player making a wrong choice and not lack of skill. This can be found in VNs as well. (e.g. if you open the bathroom door to see a woman and then you get a bad ending)
A better example of a VN like game that has "gameplay" is Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy. If you fail minigames or QTEs, you get an abrupt bad ending, forcing a reload to continue the story. Which to me is how one can separate a VN from a game. If there are obstacles in the way of the main story, that's gameplay.
Actually, exactly the minigames are the reason this is not a good example, as those need some skill (hack, they needed a lot :geek:).
Skill required is highly subjective, obstacle is objectively definable. Choose Your Own Adventure book is a gamebook because you can fail, and require a restart to experience more of the story. You can't fail reading Harry Potter except stopping of your own volition.
Yeah, but based on DuniX's definition making the right decisions in a story (e.g. kill or not to kill) does not count as a skill, so I wanted to ask his opinion on games (I consider these as such) that require no skills. (also, I do not count motor skills needed to hit buttons and orientation skills needed to orient yourself on the game map, let alone reading or language skills)
Regardless, creative works blur the lines by nature, there's no need to dwell on definitions. Poems have formats and structure, doesn't mean you shouldn't or couldn't break the rules for the better of the art form.
Yeah, but I like this debate. :)

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Ebert was indeed a bit snarky, and took an incredible (!) amount of flack while he was making his point.
I came to read his argument a bit by accident, I generally don't read art's critics tbh (my snobism know no bound lol). In the grand scheme of thing, best art's critic comes from artist themselves imo (which can be hundred times of magnitude more harsh and nuclear). I would say in that aspect, Kojima agreeing on Ebert main points was quite a funny thing to watch (especially with Kojima games in mind).

I already said that, so I'll ask you what are, for you, the fact to look at a painting, movie, sculpture, and all ?
As a pure abstract like this, it's quite a tough question (not sure you want to go here into an ontological argument or something else?). The shortest definition I can think of, is art is the back & forth between the piece and your innerself. The quality of the piece (aesthetics/substance) and as meta your own capacity of projection onto it. I don't think I deviate much from tradionnal classification of arts (in a quite conservative way I guess?). I kinda agree with the 'totalising' aspect of litterature. And of course existence of sublime art doesn't mean there cannot be more lighter or primitive form of it.

I played 2 of the 3 games you cite (only played the 1st Mass effect, then they changed the formula, didn't like it), and it doesn't strike me at all with deep aftertought. Some small, obscur, SF novel contain way more depth and substance. I liked (mostly) those games tho, but not really for the plot. I remember FO-NV for the goofy humour and an already frustating gamebryo engine, Deux ex for what they tried to do at the time FPS-wise, and Mass effect not that much outside that pesky mini game. They're also sharing one thing in common, they are heavily narrative driven and fail to shine gameplay wise.

I would add multi-branching narrative are nothing new and have been done in litterature countless of time, captivated lot of kids (myself included), but were a bit let down as a childish genre for a good reason.

But anyway it doesn't matter, let's say video game 'X' contains the finest art ever (in music, cinematography, writting and whatever), that still doesn't make video games art itself; that museum, even interactive, is not art itself. It's essence, interactivty between them, is player agency and a trivial input. If anything, constant player input play against video games as an art form, as it continuously dilutes its substance. That's why most 'games' that's try to be foremost artistic substance are walking sim and generally fail both way, as good game or good substance.

I don't think finding the golden key that open the golden door is art (said with voice). Nor driving that virtual car from A to B. Or finally looting that shiny armor and leveling up. Or pressing 'X' to be sarcastic, or 'XYZ' branching path dilution to be profund. That's doesn't mean it's a bad thing in any way.

People that want video games to be art will tell you that this 'interactive museum' is worthy of the finest art. I think it's foolish at best. And It's not like traditional game (who are less sophisticated, but quite similar nonetheless) haven't shared a space with civilisation since its inception - and never being elevated as art (in fact you'll find plenty of arguments against). I think in a way it tells more about our times than (video) games themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: anne O'nymous

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
In IE becomes a game once it is fun.
Define "Fun", the Fun you get from Play is very specific.
A child that plays and has fun isn't the engagement or interest you get from reading a book, that tends to be shoerend as "fun" in this "games".
I would also argue that distributing skill points is not resource management.
But health is, or the equivalent.
then every VN that has a money mechanic in it would count as a (strategy) game.
You are missing the Testing part. Without the test you cannot differentiate between the player skill level.
This is why by themselves I don't put much value in just implementing some mechanics.
And character build construction is not a skill.
Depends, if you just do whatever then sure.
But Optimization is a Player Skill, and builds can be optimize, think Metas and Mini-Maxing.
And if you want to reach a specific outcome then you need to optimize for that.
The intended specific outcome for the build is also the test.
OK, but then we are back where we began, because if knowledge and strategy [a plan of action designed to achieve a long-term or overall aim] counts, then non-kinetic VNs are games.
To some extent that is true. And some indeed are games, since detective work like finding clues and using your logical skills to discover the situation.
For example I consider Her Story a game since the implicit Goal is finding The Truth, and your investigative skills are definitely tested.
This is why I say "A game only needs to test a player's skills."
But what mechanics or interactions are achieved I don't care. But also why I consider having mechanics doesn't mean you automatically are a game.
It says "often" and not "always". Sure, I am not arguing that the majority of the games are VNs, but there is a place for them among games.
It's just as "often" as the definition of games is colloquially used, that's what it means.
Yeah, but based on DuniX's definition making the right decisions in a story (e.g. kill or not to kill) does not count as a skill,
A question to ask is does it tests the players ability to make those decisions?
The problem I have with choices is the obvious one.
You just reload and chose the other option, so it not much of a test on the player. They aren't firing their neurons for it.
The other problem is with branches is there might be no right choice, just more content, and pretty much all content will be consumed anyway.

If the choices were much convoluted with flags and variables and plenty of Bad Ends then yes that could be a game if he has to think things through.

Last edited:

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
While it might be subjective to some, since they don't know all the skills that apply. Anything that can be learned and can be tested is a skill.
Play requires skills, while not all obstacles and failure state require skills.
If your progress is stopped by Randomness like you see in some "Sandbox" games here would you call that gameplay?
By your definition it would.

And if that is Gameplay then what is the point of discussing Gameplay anymore? The results will all be Garbage since implementing any random system would have been considered to have already achieved Gameplay.
If we were to use my definition of understanding what player skills apply when implementing systems would the results still be the same?

In fact it's precisely here where this exact problem is most prevalent, and if I were to agree with you all that would mean that I precisely damn this community to its fate.

If you want to talk about Game Design and Gameplay, you need to first define your Objective, that will inform your Choice on what Definition of Game you want to use.
If you are fine with how things are then there is no need for an discussion on Game Design and Gameplay.
I might be misunderstanding what you're saying, but if achieving gameplay is sufficient for VNs or games from this community to be considered good, then of course this is bad and we don't want that. Where the differential comes from are standards, that's what set good experiences apart from the bad. As a developer myself, I set my own standards based on what I consider to be top industry standards and make the best product I can. This is why I don't understand the fixation on defining gameplay, even in the context of sandbox games we get on this site. Some are good, some are shit. If a developer can't see why their sandbox have terrible gameplay, then they aren't good enough developers, are they? There are good examples out there already, the standards are there for them to follow and even surpass. Yet if they still find success, then maybe it's not so bad after all? Point is, you have to develop your own senses to make better games, rules and definitions are guidelines at best.

If someone wants to be better at game design, go play games, study them, read a design book, read proper critiques, practice, experiment, that's basically how anyone gets better at anything.

It's like trying to define NTR on this site, there seems to be a clear definition of it, but you see people argue over its definition all the time, where does that get anyone? I know what I consider to be good NTR, so if I ever make an NTR game, I'll follow that. Never does the definition comes into play when it comes to design. I look deeply into examples and figure out how to match or be better.

So no, I don't think it is productive to discuss definitions. If we should discuss gameplay, pick an actual example, dissect and analyze it, discuss how to improve it and share that knowledge.

Yeah, but they were the result of the player making a wrong choice and not lack of skill. This can be found in VNs as well. (e.g. if you open the bathroom door to see a woman and then you get a bad ending)

Actually, exactly the minigames are the reason this is not a good example, as those need some skill (hack, they needed a lot :geek:).

Yeah, but based on DuniX's definition making the right decisions in a story (e.g. kill or not to kill) does not count as a skill, so I wanted to ask his opinion on games (I consider these as such) that require no skills. (also, I do not count motor skills needed to hit buttons and orientation skills needed to orient yourself on the game map, let alone reading or language skills)

Yeah, but I like this debate. :)
I was talking about the stealth section in the last chapter, but whatever.

Last edited:

Marcibx

May 5, 2018
A child that plays and has fun isn't the engagement or interest you get from reading a book, that tends to be shoerend as "fun" in this "games".
That is why I said that it is not a nuanced definition, but regardless how exactly we define fun, an interactive experience does not necessarily have any. But since you just created this concept, there is not really a point of arguing about it.
But health is, or the equivalent.
Yeah, you are right about this.
You are missing the Testing part. Without the test you cannot differentiate between the player skill level.
This is why by themselves I don't put much value in just implementing some mechanics.
No. The testing of any resource management is whether you have enough or not and that is included in these games. You don't always have enough money for everything.
Depends, if you just do whatever then sure.
But Optimization is a Player Skill, and builds can be optimize, think Metas and Mini-Maxing.
And if you want to reach a specific outcome then you need to optimize for that.
The intended specific outcome for the build is also the test.
I think optimization is optional. You don't need to optimize to play a game, you just can. Also, when it comes to optimizing character build construction, you can only optimize for a specific thing, but the game does not require it. (e.g. you can optimize for stealth, but the game does not require stealth at all). Usually there is no bad way to create your characters, only ones not fitting your play style.
But what mechanics or interactions are achieved I don't care. But also why I consider having mechanics doesn't mean you automatically are a game.
Well, then you have a very narrow definition of games and I just simply disagree.
I mean, at this point what is a game then for you?
To some extent that is true. And some indeed are games, since detective work like finding clues and using your logical skills to discover the situation.
For example I consider Her Story a game since the implicit Goal is finding The Truth, and your investigative skills are definitely tested.
This is why I say "A game only needs to test a player's skills."
I also wanted to bring up Her Story before. I think by investigative skills you mean deductive skills, which is looking at the available info and then based on that finding the "right" choice. (Right depends on what you want to achieve.) So, we are back to the gray area, as this applies to finding the right decisions in VNs to get what you want.
A question to ask is does it tests the players ability to make those decisions?
For example, woman X said she only dates single guys, then you have a chance later to date woman Y. You can deduct that if you say yes to Y you lose the chance to date X. Assuming you have a goal - dating either X or Y - there is a right choice for you and you have to find it. (In such cases it is usually not that hard, but technically it is possible to miss - and because I have taken the wrong choice in the past, this can be definitely challenging.)
The problem I have with choices is the obvious one. You just reload and chose the other option, so it not much of a test on the player. They aren't firing their neurons for it.
Now you are blurring the lines, because you are talking about how punitive a game is. For example, the 2008 Prince of Persia had a system where if you fell to death you just loaded on the previous platform. The challenge was still there, just the game did not force you to grind through the part before it.
Also, just because you can brute-force through a challenge does not mean it is not a challenge. Sure, in case of choosing out of 3 that is not a lot of force, but the principle applies.
Not to mention that the payoff/punishment for a decision in VNs is not always right after you make it. You can make a decision now and see the results half an hour later.
And if you have a problem with save mechanics in general - from your comment it is not clear that you don't - then you could argue that only games with permadeath or roguelikes are real games.
And another issue with this argument is that some games are very challenging without punishing wrong decision at all. For example, in puzzle games you just keep trying and until you don't find the right choice, nothing happens. You don't have to restart a map for trying a wrong combination.
The other problem is with branches is there might be no right choice, just more content, and pretty much all content will be consumed anyway.
OK, now I am not sure what you mean. Not necessarily is all content consumed as many decisions will result in the game only showing you one path and hiding the rest. (It does not mean the total rest of the game, but at lest some parts of it will be different depending on your choices.)
Regarding the right choice I am not sure what you mean. Usually there is no right choice in games, only a choice that leads to what you want. I mean, right based on what? For example, if you have a choice to save somebody, sure, the morally right choice is to choose that, but if you want to go on the evil path and let them die it does not mean that you failed the game. You get more/less/different content based on that choice. And the skill you need is to be able to find and select the choices that lead you towards your goal.
If the choices were much convoluted with flags and variables and plenty of Bad Ends then yes that could be a game if he has to think things through.
Having some challenge does not mean that a game has to be challenging (punitive). It can have some light challenge that is probably easy to solve for most people. (For example, the many addictive mobile games that challenge you only as much as you almost certainly can deal with.)
It's just as "often" as the definition of games is colloquially used, that's what it means.
Says who?

I was talking about the stealth section in the last chapter, but whatever.
Right, I forgot about that part. Yeah, in that case you were right.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Yet if they still find success, then maybe it's not so bad after all?
They can find success by being judged for their Content(Story,Porn) no necessarily by their Gameplay.
Like how more linear VNs are judged for their Content.
There are good examples out there already, the standards are there for them to follow and even surpass.
That's highly debatable, that's precisely the problem that there are no good examples when judged as Games.
Short of just jamming in a combat with a rpg system or Puzzles and calling it a day.
Even the Trainer Simulators fail miserably as games.

I think optimization is optional.
The point is that it Exists and it has a Function, thus it is a Player Skill.
For example, woman X said she only dates single guys, then you have a chance later to date woman Y. You can deduct that if you say yes to Y you lose the chance to date X. Assuming you have a goal - dating either X or Y - there is a right choice for you and you have to find it.
Yes that is the basics of a Dating Sim that can be a game.
(In such cases it is usually not that hard, but technically it is possible to miss - and because I have taken the wrong choice in the past, this can be definitely challenging.)
But the point is how is easy is to reload and chose the right answer?
That would already imply multiple branches with multiple girls and multiple routes and endings.
It also implies that some paths gets closed off so that can serve as a test of the player's knowledge.
No. The testing of any resource management is whether you have enough or not and that is included in these games. You don't always have enough money for everything.
If you had infinite time to grind with no limits or costs then you would just have "resources", the "management" implies there is tradeoffs,costs, and consequences associated to that resource.
Resources is not a skill, Resource Management is a skill.
Also, just because you can brute-force through a challenge does not mean it is not a challenge. Sure, in case of choosing out of 3 that is not a lot of force, but the principle applies.
Not to mention that the payoff/punishment for a decision in VNs is not always right after you make it. You can make a decision now and see the results half an hour later.
Well I just said VN with choices can be considered games if they are convoluted enough. Like I said I don't care about the means to achive it, only that the player skills are tested.
Yes the line would be blurred without the right perspective.
And it's precisely with the right perspective and right definitions you achive it.
in puzzle games you just keep trying and until you don't find the right choice, nothing happens.
Puzzle test your skills to resolve them directly, how wonderfully clear.
Usually there is no right choice in games, only a choice that leads to what you want.
That's precisely the problem, if there is no wrong answer, like a Bad End, or no Goal, like getting to date a certain girl then there is nothing to test your decisions.
It will just be the mindless consumption of content with no challenge to speak off.
No need to memorize or understand anything so no need for player skills.
Having some challenge does not mean that a game has to be challenging (punitive). It can have some light challenge that is probably easy to solve for most people. (For example, the many addictive mobile games that challenge you only as much as you almost certainly can deal with.)
That's fine then. But most don't have any challenge,measurement or test of any player skills.
Casual games are still games.
Says who?
The Fundamental Logic of the Universe.
I mean it's damned obvious what it means.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
You are forgetting the "often one that". But even without it, you are limiting the definition according to your own person ; implying that, since yourself don't have fun face to a CYOA-like or a Kinetic Novel, no one could have fun facing them.

Again Children Play, which is fundamental behaviour, and you can't redefine Play which is fundamental human behaviour.
And now, not only it's the "especially one" that you are forgetting, but you are also switching "played by children" into "children play", that are two different things.

It's surely just innocent errors that you did there, but it's not because you changed a definition in order for it to match your thoughts that you are right. You end just being twice wrong and looking like a fool.

:
  1. The feeling of enjoying yourself; activities that you enjoy ;
  2. Behaviour or activities that are not serious but are meant to be enjoyed.
Be careful, if you continue you'll end saying that CYOA-like and Kinetic Novels are something serious.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[Sorry for the double post, but the two answers clearly couldn't be put together]

I would say in that aspect, Kojima agreeing on Ebert main points was quite a funny thing to watch (especially with Kojima games in mind).
Oh, but I agree on Kojima view, and mostly for the same reasons than him.

I don't remember what artist said, in substance, that he don't want to be seen as an artist, because art is something too serious and he want to continue having fun doing what he do, not starting to go to works each time he open the door of his workshop ; perhaps was it Dali but I'm really not sure, but he surely wasn't an English speaker since the English word imply the notion of "work" and this thought would have felt weird in his own mind.
In a way, the same could apply to Kojima. He's someone serious, he works serious and hard. But like he's doing what he like, driven by his passion, it don't feel like working. He follow his thoughts, (globally speaking) he do what he want without carrying this much about the consequences. What wouldn't be possible anymore if he was suddenly doing arts.

The problem if video games starts to be effectively seen as art would be the same than with Cinema ; you would have the masterpieces, the failed attempt, and the byproducts. And like for Cinema, if your game was described as a masterpiece, you would generally end with less players than if he's seen as a byproducts. This while the "failed attempt" would have almost no public at all ; not interesting enough for those who want a masterpiece, and not fun enough for the public that seek entertainment of a byproduct.
Starting there, doing a video game wouldn't anymore be a question of passion or attempt of the public, but fear of the critics. And since nowadays video games are near to cost as much as movies, while having a smaller public, it would kill creativity, by fear to not sell enough because your game will be seen as elitist.
Look at the number of threads here that goes along the lines of "what game should I make to earn a tons of money". It's the same kind of problem, just seen from another point of view. This kind of authors aren't making the game they want, letting the game find its public, they are trying to target a specific public, following specific constraints. And the same would happen if video games was seen as art. Either you'll target the masterpiece, and therefore tried to be too serious, or you would try to sell a lot, and therefore avoid at all cost being serious, by fear to be "too serious".

And since one could wonder, "if you agree with Kojima, why are you disagreeing with Ebert", I'll also quickly address that :
Kojima consider that video games aren't an art, but don't close the gate ; his view still permit to a game, now or in the future, to be seen as a piece of art. This while Ebert clearly state that it's totally impossible for a video games to be a piece of art. And it's on this particular point that I disagree with Ebert.

I played 2 of the 3 games you cite (only played the 1st Mass effect, then they changed the formula, didn't like it), and it doesn't strike me at all with deep aftertought.
Well, for Mass Effect, the reason why I pointed the third is because it's explicit in it. At the end of the game they explain clearly what was their intent, going as far as saying that the right answer to the final choice should be to let humanity become more and more mechanic. As for the Deus Ex, I think that it's Human Revolution that express it the more clearly ; but unlike BioWare, they don't try to enforce a right answer.

I would add multi-branching narrative are nothing new and have been done in litterature countless of time, captivated lot of kids (myself included), but were a bit let down as a childish genre for a good reason.
I'm aware of that. There's somewhere on this forum a (probably long) comment I made that is going in the history of CYOA books. My memory being a mess today, I'll not try to give an exact date for the first one officially known (because proved as having existed) but it was in the 19th century. And there were surely some already in the Ancient Greece, but probably seen as a form of distraction and/or entertainment, both for the author and the reader, what prevented them to reach posterity.

If anything, constant player input play against video games as an art form, as it continuously dilutes its substance.
But isn't interactive computer art, art ?

It's the main reason why I disagree with Ebert, his absolutism in the definition of what is art. The definition was implicitly changed so many times in history ; art being purely descriptive, then figurative, and now it can even be abstract.
This fallback on what is said by this artist I still don't remember the name, regarding art being something too serious ; what also matches your saying that artists talking about art would be way more rude. Some take art way too seriously, and from my point of view it have always killed art by putting aside everything that isn't true to the actual definition. I'm pretty sure that abstract art is far to be something new ; it just can't be something new in regard of human history. It was just rejected as being art. At those times an artist had to live, and the only way for him to live was to have either a patron or, mainly for painters, clients that ask him for a painting. What imply that they had to follow the rules, or die starving ; I don't see a king asking Picasso during his cubism period to paint his portrait.
Therefore, any art that wasn't true to the definition simply disappeared every time an artist tried it. At least until the early 20th century, moment where the public finally had its word to say. Whatever if critics discard the creations as being art. As long as there were a public to buy his creation, or even just to attend his exposition, an artist can live, exist, and in the end possibly enforce his creations as being art. It's what happened for impressionism by example, and it's far to be the sole artistic movement that benefit from this.

That's why most 'games' that's try to be foremost artistic substance are walking sim and generally fail both way, as good game or good substance.
Why should video games not be art simply because those who tried effectively failed each time ? It closing the door to those who didn't, or will not, tried, but yet succeed(ed). After all, Ebert say it himself when talking about cave painting, they didn't tried to do art, they just did it. The same can apply to video games.

People that want video games to be art will tell you that this 'interactive museum' is worthy of the finest art. I think it's foolish at best.
I agree on this, but mostly because I don't consider video games as being art by themselves. As I said above, it's the absolutism of the definition, and its consequences as stating that "it will never happen", that I disagree with, not the rest.

Think about this :

Cinema is art, and there were attempt, more or less successful, for interactive movies. Nowadays technology is near to permit those attempt to finally become successful. I mean, movies are numeric now. You can have a set of two buttons on each seat of the theater, and a computer that will count the votes and play the next scene according to it.
Take "Independence Day" (the original). Will Goldblum take his bike and go to the White House, or will he try, again and again, to reach his ex wife by phone ? First choice, the movie like we know it (at least until the next choice). Second choice, someone in the White House have a sudden fear, the president still escape death, but Goldblum have to find a way to reach him. And so on.
A CYOA-like movie is totally possible nowadays. It would cost a shit tons of money, because you'll have to film enough scenes to make something like ten movies. But in the same times, there will be so many different movies, that you can expect people to go see it more than once, and to pay more than actually to have it at home. Therefore, it should payback.

But then, a question will have to be asked: Will the viewer be facing an interactive movie, or will he be facing a game with a very high image quality ?
One can argue that, since he's looking this in a theater, and therefore it's not just his decision that matter, it's not a game. Or that it's a movie, because you can still look at it passively, relying on the choice made (or not) by the others. But soon enough, this technology will reach our homes, we'll see a new generation of DVD players invade the living-rooms. And suddenly, because the experience will be lived alone, the movie will become a game ? What was art one hour ago, because it was still a movie, should now stop to be art, because it became a video game ?

What lead to another interesting question: If there's a possibility in the future for a game to be seen as art, because it was initially made as a movie, why nowadays video games can't be, now or later, sometimes, seen as art ?

What don't mean that all video game are, or will be, art. Just that, the more I think about it, the more this "never ever be" looks foolish.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
You are forgetting the "often one that". But even without it, you are limiting the definition according to your own person ;
And now, not only it's the "especially one" that you are forgetting, but you are also switching "played by children" into "children play", that are two different things.
We have mentioned before that Games now have a colloquial definition, but properties of the real definition are still present, as I have shown.
So I ask if I am wrong why do those definitions contain relations to Fun, Rules, Win States, or why children would play games?
I am sure it is a Total Coincidence to you and those things don't fucking matter.
I am sure the damned me that hates those Visual Novels is totally wrong and talking out of my ass.
Be careful, if you continue you'll end saying that CYOA-like and Kinetic Novels are something serious.
Deadly Serious.
You wouldn't be able to walk without Play.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Also you bastards dare to talk about what is or isn't Art.
Yet dare to talk to me on how everything can be a Game?
Like Games, Art is also colloquially defined as basically anything.

The sheer hypocrisy!

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I agree with your points, as creating a 'product' generally kill a good amount of creativity, but since it was not a problem specific to video games (also could tho, as AAA video games studio reach critical mass and dilute artistic responsability/integrity) and comes with various degrees of nuance, I left it behind. I mean things gonna end with posts with astronomical amount of text lol.

The part I found interesting in the Kojima interview was that part :

"Let me say this in a different way, so I can better explain the nuance in what I'm trying to say. That building there [points to one of the adjacent Roppongi Hills Towers] has an art museum called Mori Museum, but any museum will do. Art is the stuff you find in the museum, wether it be a painting or statue. What I'm doing, what videogame creators are doing, is running the museum-how do we light up things, where do we place things, how do we sell tickets? It's basically running the museum for those who come to the museum to look at the art. For better or worse, what I do, Hideo Kojima, myself, is run the museum and also create the art that's displayed in the museum."

It's funny because I didn't take that museum analogy from him, I read that later, but from an another game dev (which I can't remember the name).

I would not say Ebert was an "absolutist", even if his axiom "Games can never be art" is. I think he wanted to piss off the right people (he succeed lol). I think he was more skeptical about video games as an art form than anything, in a bit of a pessmistic perspective. It's more or less the impression I have but maybe I'm wrong.

The problematic behind player input and its interactive museum is a deep one (or so I believe) since it's video games essence. Maybe technology could solve this, as it happen often in art's history, maybe not. In the end games being not art themselves and a distraction, doesn't mean they aren't absolute fantastic piece of cultural manifestion, maybe the most sophisticated ever created. But right now I just can't make games being art stricto sensu, feels like a complete disgrâce for those genius and tormented brains.

I also don't think video games trying to be foremost a passive cinematic experience to be interesting, more or less one of today trend. As reducing player input to the bare minimum (Quantic dream's games are symptomatic of this trend) is completely denying game's very essence. Making it more a multi-branching-film tentative than anything to do with a video game and more akin to cinematic experience. It's a way to supress the problem tho, but you don't solve a disease by killing its patient.

I will try Mass Effect trilogy, it's long due. Heard remake was quite shit tho, so maybe pirating the old ones. But there is " big mama" Resident Evil 8 before o/

1111.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: anne O'nymous