What happened to the MMD thread this time?

simponsimpviolence

Aug 9, 2020
A few questions:
1. Was bringing on new moderators ever under consideration given the traffic/visibility the MMD thread generated?
2. Would it be possible to publicly ban or otherwise indicate rule offending content in order to leave public notices instead of scrubbing posts/threads in their entirety? ie. remove links to offending content and replace with some big red text or something.
3. Would it be possible to bring back the MMD thread in read-only format with all links removed for the purpose of notifying/redirecting people who were sharing inoffensive content to create threads for artists in the appropriate forum section? Even better if the thread could be continued but with link posting disabled (outside of patreon/fantia/fanbox links for reference).

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
May I ask why the dedicated artist moyuu-wannamoyu-mmd.185136 thread was deleted too?
:rolleyes: Yes, you can ask a moderator why the thread have been deleted...

What they showed with this is that it is much easier for them to delete an entire thread which had a lot of activity just because some users uploaded things that they couldn't.
Strange isn't it ?
Who would have thought that removing the source of a problem would permit to not waste hours fighting the problem itself.

I put this situation again: If I and some friends decided to fuck up one or more threads on the page, the only thing we should do is send a few illegal links for a while and that's it?
This would just prove that they did the right thing by nuking a thread frequented by a bunch of immature members.

If that is the case and the only way for the moderators to solve it is that, I personally think that they are not doing a good job.
Funny how some peoples are totally unable to see further than the end of their nose.

There's 24 hours in a day, and you didn't passed them all refreshing the thread. The fact that, from your point of view, the issue was limited to few borderline posts is precisely the proof that moderators are doing a good job, cleaning the thread before you can notice most of the problematic posts.

aeblel

May 4, 2023
I'd really prefer it if you didn't reply to me with questions about 10 year olds. (y)
Why, a touchy subject for you?

In all seriousness, this whole discussion is utterly meaningless. It's just sad that a giant archive is gone as mere "middle finger" gesture from the tired mods.

renzono

Apr 14, 2024

Strange isn't it ?
Who would have thought that removing the source of a problem would permit to not waste hours fighting the problem itself.

This would just prove that they did the right thing by nuking a thread frequented by a bunch of immature members.

Funny how some peoples are totally unable to see further than the end of their nose.

There's 24 hours in a day, and you didn't passed them all refreshing the thread. The fact that, from your point of view, the issue was limited to few borderline posts is precisely the proof that moderators are doing a good job, cleaning the thread before you can notice most of the problematic posts.

Mods have put efforts to filter the thread, but can the effort not be spent differently, more efficiently?

Is it not possible to bring back the super thread with way more helpers? Is it possible to empower some regulars that would gladly help to join the filtering effort? Helpers probably can be appropriately limited in their ability and it should still help greatly... or is there a technical limitation to this?

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
A lot of people forget that just simply locking a thread does not remove the already potentially distributed content that violates the rules. it just stops more from being added and allows bad actors to continue to profit from breaking the rules. Nobody has time to read through thousands of posts looking for stuff that shouldn't of been uploaded in the first place.

I have read through this and the KK thread and it seems to me that a good number of people are just upset that "mom and dad took away their favorite toy." More concerned they have been inconvenienced and turning a blind eye to the reasons behind the decison. Believe me though, I get it. Many of you feel that you are being punished for not doing anything wrong.

This actually reminds me of a story from when I was young. When I was in grade school, my school installed a brand new state of the art computer lab. They made the decision to treat the students like adults and left it up to us to police ourselves to a point. We were allowed to eat and drink in the lab as well as some other perks and as long as we followed the rules we could continue to be allowed a degree of freedom to do what we wanted.

No more than a week later, some jackass put gum in the disk drive of a computer. For that, all the perks went away. it only took one user. Was the school right in punishing all the students? Depends on who you asked. The fact of the matter was trust had been broken. THey could no longer afford to allow the students to police themselves despite the warnings they had been preivously given. Ultimately they had to make a deicsion to protect their equipment.

Sorry but it sucks, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Life isn't fair and sometimes you suffer the consequences of someone else actions. That is just how it is. Some of you already got the right Idea, if you don't like how shits done by someone else, do it yourself.

Kalinn

Nov 3, 2021

Strange isn't it ?

Good job! They deleted the problematic posts! But what do we do with those who were not? From what it seems they don't care, they don't care about the work of so many people who followed their rules to the letter and who just wanted to have a good time sharing and talking about their tastes. I think they still don't understand what the problem is here, the problem is not whether or not there was illegal content, problematic users or ways of sharing content that did not fall within their guidelines. The problem is that they deleted everything. With the argument of solving a problem quickly and optimally without thinking for a second about all those who did nothing wrong and who were enjoying something in a healthy and legal way that they decided to end with a single click. But hey, from what I understand from all this is that the moderators here prefer to "amputate" rather than "cure" the problems that their page may have.

• Hey there
Reactions: Sinri and SaraVL57

renzono

Apr 14, 2024
Good job! They deleted the problematic posts! But what do we do with those who were not? From what it seems they don't care, they don't care about the work of so many people who followed their rules to the letter and who just wanted to have a good time sharing and talking about their tastes. I think they still don't understand what the problem is here, the problem is not whether or not there was illegal content, problematic users or ways of sharing content that did not fall within their guidelines. The problem is that they deleted everything. With the argument of solving a problem quickly and optimally without thinking for a second about all those who did nothing wrong and who were enjoying something in a healthy and legal way that they decided to end with a single click. But hey, from what I understand from all this is that the moderators here prefer to "amputate" rather than "cure" the problems that their page may have.
On another note, if the thread is currently just invisible and not entirely gone yet, please make it visible (while locked) again, ideally accompanied with a final message from a mod in said thread... a final message that explains everything clearly.

So that the efforts of everyone involved isn't entirely going to waste, so people can still read older posts or links and so less regularly frequenting people that still don't know what happened can become clearly aware of the whole situation (instead of having to search for all the bits of explanations on the platform)

Please

aeblel

May 4, 2023
It should be a touchy subject for you too and if it isn't then you've far bigger issues than a thread being deleted. Good luck with that.
:KEK::KEK::KEK:
You know, really, that was a quote in the context of emotional immaturity and not regarding someone's physical age. I guess I was being sarcastic too much, believe me I do hate all that loli garbage and the clowns sharing it way more than you can imagine. But your witch hunt with assuming things which weren't there is truly remarkable. I'm just not sure whether it's a professional deformation or one's guilty conscience is speaking.

Aleroth

Jul 12, 2017
The way the mods handled this one is so bad. You don't just give a warning without any action (could be missinformed but it aways seemed like the usual suspects) and then do this.

Since some people used analogies, I will use one of my own. Imagine you have a drug dealer and the police come to him and wave their finger at him and tell him not to sell crack at the back of a Taco Bell. And then seeing that the drug dealer didn't listen proceeded to gun down the entire city block.

Here are some ways you could have handled this better without looking REAAAAAALLY fucking bad:

1. Give members of the MMD thread the right to moderate the content themselves. Let the people on the thread have a dedicated, in-community mod that people can reach out to and fix the problem when it arises specifically on the MMD side of things.

2. Lock the thread, give a statement and warn people that the thread is going away in like a week so people have a time to archive what they want.

3. Not fuck up the response so bad that any and all discussion turns extremely hostile right off rip. Even this situation could have been salvaged if there weren't staff members (or certain others painting everyone with the same brush as 10yo) kindling the already roaring fire. As for the other side, the users, they got fucked and so ofc tempers are gonna flare. But as a mod it your job to defuse and not, ya know "A BOMB HAS BEEN PLANTED".

I do hope that both sides can cool down and come to a more flexible agreement beside a quick and easy: "Go Fuck Yourself"

Sincerely,
A mid 20s M.Sc that likes seeing Adult Genshin girls tossing a hot dog down a hallway set to funky beats.

Last edited:

Jeevant

Failed to make an unlimited money mod for my life
Modder
Compressor
May 1, 2020
If we started deleting threads we weren't personally interested in then more than half of the forum would be nuked.

It was deleted simply because we felt the amount of risk that thread brought and the amount of effort it required to keep that thread moderated wasn't worth it especially when there is only a limited number of moderators for a forum already this large. (People who want to be hated by half the users and put effort into moderating forums for no gains [monetary or any other] don't grow on trees.)

It wasn't out of blue when thread has had multiple warnings put out by moderators warning about Rule 7 and other things before finally being nuked.

Its much easier when its a content thread as we know whether to allow that artist/creator content or not but with a thread having so many artist content being distributed continuously its much harder to moderate too.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
But your witch hunt with assuming things which weren't there is truly remarkable. I'm just not sure whether it's a professional deformation or one's guilty conscience is speaking.
Point out just one assumption I've made. (y)

Aleroth

Jul 12, 2017
If we started deleting threads we weren't personally interested in then more than half of the forum would be nuked.

It was deleted simply because we felt the amount of risk that thread brought and the amount of effort it required to keep that thread moderated wasn't worth it especially when there is only a limited number of moderators for a forum already this large. (People who want to be hated by half the users and put effort into moderating forums for no gains [monetary or any other] don't grow on trees.)

It wasn't out of blue when thread has had multiple warnings put out by moderators warning about Rule 7 and other things before finally being nuked.

Its much easier when its a content thread as we know whether to allow that artist/creator content or not but with a thread having so many artist content being distributed continuously its much harder to moderate too.
I get that, but a final warning and a lock on the thread with a notice of deletion would have done wonders in keeping the situation cool and civil. Sure people would still riot, but the response wouldn't have been this inflammed.

Hell it got so bad that I, who only visited the thread for like 2 arists, felt like I need to voice my opinion.

Silentce

Quiet Eldritch Horror
Modder
Uploader
Jan 2, 2018
I get that, but a final warning and a lock on the thread with a notice of deletion would have done wonders in keeping the situation cool and civil. Sure people would still riot, but the response wouldn't have been this inflammed.

Hell it got so bad that I, who only visited the thread for like 2 arists, felt like I need to voice my opinion.
People would of reacted the same way regardless of if we gave them a minute notice, or a year. Being cool and civil aren't common traits on the internet :KEK:

Aleroth

Jul 12, 2017
People would of reacted the same way regardless of if we gave them a minute notice, or a year. Being cool and civil aren't common traits on the internet :KEK:
Well as cool and civil as it can be given the context of it being the Interent (trust me in my early Internet life I really fucked up and ended up a /b-tard so I know how bad it can get), but you are right. My entire point was on how to mitigate the strength of the reaction from the community, and not the reaction itself.

Aug 11, 2022
Looking how things are going right now, I guess people can just share or request contents for each artists individually. It is upsetting that many sources were deleted, but I guess we can make separate threads for each MMD artists, as long as it doesn't violate this website's rules? (At least that's what I understand from the conversation between a user and a moderator in this discussion thread before)

renzono

Apr 14, 2024
Can I assume that it's technically entirely impossible to empower external ppl with limited mod rights for help with moderating one thread?