What happened to the MMD thread this time?

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Also, to be completely fair, that thread was a huge mess. Even as someone who does like mmd, I can't deny that trying to keep everything organized in the index was a bit of a chore. I always worried what would happen after I reached a few thousand lines in the excel sheet and it becomes less and less usable. It was hard to leave because it kinda worked, and doing something else would take effort, but deleting the thread and forcing us to find a way to better organize this stuff may end up being for the better.
That would be ideal and still viable, but we have always encountered extreme resistance from users in moving from mega dump threads to properly organized threads.

1. Was bringing on new moderators ever under consideration given the traffic/visibility the MMD thread generated?
Bringing in new moderators is always under consideration, you are free to apply. Uploaders too.

The way the mods handled this one is so bad. You don't just give a warning without any action (could be missinformed but it aways seemed like the usual suspects) and then do this.
We didn't, there were several warnings from mods and staff, lockdowns, and a *lot* of people banned and warned. I don't what we could possibly have done in terms of sanctions before the nuclear options, but the fact that you never noticed any of that shows how ineffective any half-measure is.

Reactions: Count Morado

Aleroth

Jul 12, 2017
That would be ideal and still viable, but we have always encountered extreme resistance from users in moving from mega dump threads to properly organized threads.

Bringing in new moderators is always under consideration, you are free to apply. Uploaders too.

We didn't, there were several warnings from mods and staff, lockdowns, and a *lot* of people banned and warned. I don't what we could possibly have done in terms of sanctions before the nuclear options, but the fact that you never noticed any of that shows how ineffective any half-measure is.
As I said I could have been missinformed, and you just confirmed I was. But as I mentioned in messages following this one I only wanted to comment on the situation from my point of view and say that response management could have been handled better. Was a nuclear option warrented? Maybe it was, I will let others comment on that one since, as I mentioned after, I was a lowkey lurker and not an active member.

But I argued against going and Thanos snapping it without the final warning and leaving no room for the community to respond properly (such as backup links, final downloads etc.). There are ways to wipe the thread clean and reduce the blow it was obviously gonna be. Like how the situation with the DrEzal thread was handled. People bitched, cooled down and made this one that functioned relatively well for a period of time.

I still think that there should be a more flexible solution to this that doesn't tax you as the mod and staff team, and gives people a functioning and productive MMD thread.

KuzashiX

May 6, 2018

I have no idea if any of the mods have any technical background in webservices but the reason for this is a massive service scaling issue. Megadump threads are easy that is why they popup so often in a lot of share forums. It is "easy" to search for the latest posts because it is all in one thread that is sorted by day of post. On the other hand when you want organized threads. Users shouldn't need jump through hoops to generate a organized thread otherwise it will not be the easiest or the first thought a user defaults to. Right now a new organized thread needs to 1. generate a request thread. Then 2. hope someone fulfills the request. 3. request mods to generate a proper thread and hope they get around to doing it. 4.hope people get exposure to the new thread before it get pushed to the bottom so people don't have to specifically query for the thread to populate it. Everything after step 1 requires too much luck for a thread to take off. Also notifications of multiple threads don't always work for some reason so you cant even track a lot of threads with missing updates. Not sure if it is some notification frequency bug can't seem to replicate it with any sort of reliability.

There was probably one warning that was noticeable about rule 7 a couple months back. How are people supposed to know if a thread has been hijacked if there is no indication of it. Other threads when a post is deleted leave some sort or empty post saying user is deleted and redacts the post. People wouldn't know that a new thread needs to be made, in order to dodge hijackers and wouldn't be on the look out since everything is silently deleted. That means all the work falls onto moderators, which are in short supply. Needing to nuke something means the solution wasn't scaled properly before it got too bad. What is even a half solution it either works or it doesn't on the internet.

NewPerson3

Sep 17, 2022
Well that thread was the only reason I was here and contributed to this site at all. Sounds like it was stupid reasons and I don't care to bother navigating decades old bad forum ui to continue.

rock perry

Oct 3, 2019
I felt it while watching the interaction between administrators and users in this thread.

Some managers have common sense, but others are simply buried in their own foolish beliefs.

And there are no people more difficult to convince than those with stupid beliefs.

I've been watching the thread for a long time and I understand both sides. But I think there were definitely some shortcomings in communication.

We have already crossed the River Styx and all that remains is to find a new alternative.

zxcv1245789

May 25, 2023
Silly anime naked dancing.

Hello, I would like to ask why the post titled "wannamoyu" was deleted. Did it violate any specific rules?

You mentioned that since the problematic individuals can't be dealt with directly, you decided to address the issue itself. So, a one-size-fits-all solution is the quickest and most convenient way. But have you considered that if these problematic individuals use this approach to harass other posts, such as those related to games, comics, or mods, would you handle them the same way? Or do you decide based on what you like or dislike?

dsael336

May 5, 2024
A few regular uploaders of the thread and myself are giving Matrix a try. If you haven't heard of it, it's sort of a discord clone but also not really. Less likely to be shut down like a discord server anyways. invite is here

I have most of the thread archived and will slowly re-upload stuff there.

Don't really want to get into the drama of things, it seems that most of the mods aren't interested in MMD, so spending time policing the nonsense the thread produces is understandably not something they wish to do. Hard to argue with that. I also hadn't checked the thread in a few days so have no idea what even went down. From the sound of it though, we survived the great puzzle incident of 2024 only to be done in by good ol' rule 7. Bit of a shame really, I thought something more bizzare and hilarious would have brought the end to the thread.

Also, to be completely fair, that thread was a huge mess. Even as someone who does like mmd, I can't deny that trying to keep everything organized in the index was a bit of a chore. I always worried what would happen after I reached a few thousand lines in the excel sheet and it becomes less and less usable. It was hard to leave because it kinda worked, and doing something else would take effort, but deleting the thread and forcing us to find a way to better organize this stuff may end up being for the better.
The app.element.io has never send me a confirmation email on my account registration process. Does anyone success an account registration?
[EDIT] What is recommended clients for Matrix? I have not succeeded with Element.io, nheko, Quaternion.

Last edited:

zeerin

Nov 9, 2017
Just to clarify, as far as I know, Japan is the only place that allows content like loli/shota in fictional forms (manga/2D/3D) with some restrictions, while other countries, especially in Europe and America, don't allow it.
No, loli and shota are 100% legal in America, provided they're not based on real people and/or are not indistinguishable from a real child.

Reactions: SaraVL57

SaraVL57

May 16, 2022
Good response. Really showing your lack of bias toward this whole issue. Broken rules my ass. Just say you found a convenient excuse to get rid of something you don't like already.
notice how they constantly ignore post like this ( https://f95zone.to/threads/what-happened-to-the-mmd-thread-this-time.221237/post-14597973 ) calling them out on their bs and just give snarky replies to useless shit its kind of embarrassing how little shame they have, makes you wonder why they even applied to be mod, prob as some power complex yk how it goes.

RollChan

Nov 7, 2021
i'm just here for the koikatsu, but if anyone is starting some form of replacement outside of this website i'd like to be DM'ed it if possible