What happened to the MMD thread this time?

Kalinn

Nov 3, 2021
God, the amount of 10yo self absorbed brats in this thread explode the limits.

They can't anymore access a thread, and instead of being mad against the handful of brainless idiots who crashed the said thread, they goes after the staff and moderation who preserved the peace of mind of the 8 millions members that didn't cared about it. All this while speaking like if their own life was threatened, and would come to an end in the following hours, because to the thread disappearing.

In all honesty, I have only one thing to say to all those who claimed that they'll move to another site because of this: Good bye, we will not miss you.
So, that's all? Do they delete everything? You deleted an entire thread for alleged "illegal content" or that breaks your site rules instead of banning users or deleting messages that break your rules? Following your logic, I could call some friends and start bombarding all the threads with illegal content or that break your rules and according to you the best and most optimal thing would be to delete the thread completely and without giving any notice. obviously I won't do it, I don't need to spend my time on it knowing what the result will be. It makes me sad, honestly, I started using this page more regularly only a couple of months ago and I am saddened to know that its moderators prefer to ruin the work and fun of an entire community instead of taking care of it or trying to help it.

Qahlz

Jul 25, 2023
So, that's all? Do they delete everything? You deleted an entire thread for alleged "illegal content" or that breaks your site rules instead of banning users or deleting messages that break your rules? Following your logic, I could call some friends and start bombarding all the threads with illegal content or that break your rules and according to you the best and most optimal thing would be to delete the thread completely and without giving any notice. obviously I won't do it, I don't need to spend my time on it knowing what the result will be. It makes me sad, honestly, I started using this page more regularly only a couple of months ago and I am saddened to know that its moderators prefer to ruin the work and fun of an entire community instead of taking care of it or trying to help it.
Did you even read the two threads about the topic? It was mentioned that the mods posted several times to remind people not to upload anything that goes against the rules - so it was not "without notice".
And tbh, when a significant amount of reports originate from a single thread that persist even if you keep banning users, then of course at some point you'd have to shut the thread down. There are only so many ways to ban users, and it's trivial to evade most of them and create a new account.

Reactions: Cunt and Jeevant

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Why couldn't the moderators punish this handful of idiots you mention?
Who told you they didn't ?
It's just that they are as stubborn as this guy who want the thread back. And always come a moment when volunteers are tired to be nice, and rely on nukes instead of surgical hits.

Instead you punished literally everyone.
And I'm pretty sure that more than half the 7.6 millions of members do not cared about that thread. So, "literally everyone" is perhaps a bit exaggerated.

You deleted [...] your site [...] your rules [...] your logic [...] your rules [...]
It makes me sad, honestly, [...]
What make me sad, is people who can't make the difference between modder and moderator...

God, there's a reason why it's wrote with two "D", our boobs are way bigger that moderator's ones.

• Haha
Reactions: Cunt

aglingua

Aug 8, 2020
For everyone who is going to move to the arca site, please be polite and listen to their rules. They're being very accommodating to us, even being willing to relax password complexity and put out important posts in english. Let's not abuse their kindness.

PhemSee

Mar 22, 2021
A few regular uploaders of the thread and myself are giving Matrix a try. If you haven't heard of it, it's sort of a discord clone but also not really. Less likely to be shut down like a discord server anyways. invite is here

I have most of the thread archived and will slowly re-upload stuff there.

Don't really want to get into the drama of things, it seems that most of the mods aren't interested in MMD, so spending time policing the nonsense the thread produces is understandably not something they wish to do. Hard to argue with that. I also hadn't checked the thread in a few days so have no idea what even went down. From the sound of it though, we survived the great puzzle incident of 2024 only to be done in by good ol' rule 7. Bit of a shame really, I thought something more bizzare and hilarious would have brought the end to the thread.

Also, to be completely fair, that thread was a huge mess. Even as someone who does like mmd, I can't deny that trying to keep everything organized in the index was a bit of a chore. I always worried what would happen after I reached a few thousand lines in the excel sheet and it becomes less and less usable. It was hard to leave because it kinda worked, and doing something else would take effort, but deleting the thread and forcing us to find a way to better organize this stuff may end up being for the better.
Why not try and use Telegram, i think its easier to setup and access too?

Reactions: 444petrarca444

duncan142240

Dec 23, 2022
It's just that they are as stubborn as this guy who want the thread back. And always come a moment when volunteers are tired to be nice, and rely on nukes instead of surgical hits.

And I'm pretty sure that more than half the 7.6 millions of members do not cared about that thread. So, "literally everyone" is perhaps a bit exaggerated.

What make me sad, is people who can't make the difference between modder and moderator...

God, there's a reason why it's wrote with two "D", our boobs are way bigger that moderator's ones.
May I ask why the dedicated artist moyuu-wannamoyu-mmd.185136 thread was deleted too?

Kalinn

Nov 3, 2021
Did you even read the two threads about the topic? It was mentioned that the mods posted several times to remind people not to upload anything that goes against the rules - so it was not "without notice".
And tbh, when a significant amount of reports originate from a single thread that persist even if you keep banning users, then of course at some point you'd have to shut the thread down. There are only so many ways to ban users, and it's trivial to evade most of them and create a new account.
So, following that logic I could start spamming links with illegal content in all the forums and be sure that sooner or later they would end up closing it, and all because of me. It doesn't make sense. I think that's what moderators are there for, to ban problematic users whenever necessary to keep the community free of problems, not to completely delete a thread which for the most part had nothing illegal or content that breaks the rules. Sending a warning message saying "guys, don't upload things that are not within our rules" by the moderators is useless, they must ban the users directly as many times as necessary and even ban their IP's if they can do so. . But well, let's put it in the case that there are many people who pass illegal links in that thread, in that case make it impossible to post any more in it, ban or delete the illegal users and publications and that's it. There was no point in deleting the thread entirely.

No matter how you look at it, this could have been handled in a better way. Just because apparently no moderator is interested in or likes the content of a thread should not be a reason to treat it that way. Simply kicking them out with something as basic as some users uploading content that doesn't conform to their rules.

That thread was part of this page like so many other threads and knowing that from one day to the next they can delete everything for such basic things makes me not want to participate in it.

drzero7

Oct 25, 2017
God, the amount of 10yo self absorbed brats in this thread explode the limits.

They can't anymore access a thread, and instead of being mad against the handful of brainless idiots who crashed the said thread, they goes after the staff and moderation who preserved the peace of mind of the 8 millions members that didn't cared about it. All this while speaking like if their own life was threatened, and would come to an end in the following hours, because to the thread disappearing.

In all honesty, I have only one thing to say to all those who claimed that they'll move to another site because of this: Good bye, we will not miss you.
Im honestly just waiting for another General MMD Thread to appear again.

Randomcreeper

Formerly 'deadlysativa'
Dec 6, 2021
TBH I get it. having to moderate a thread that is dedicated to probably hundreds of different artists would be a nightmare. by deleting the thread and forcing people to make individual threads for specific artists it would become much easier to find the problematic content. That way instead of searching a thread with 1000 pages for specific posts you can just not make the threads for the rule breaking artists when they are requested. Also, it's not like they can delete peoples files off of the file sharing platforms they use. So, all the people who have content that they shared on the old thread have to do is post a new link to the content in new threads. not like they have to spend time reuploading them.

Reactions: Jeevant

Qahlz

Jul 25, 2023
So, following that logic I could start spamming links with illegal content in all the forums and be sure that sooner or later they would end up closing it, and all because of me.
I mean, if you keep that up for months on end and creating dozens of accounts, probably.
It doesn't make sense. I think that's what moderators are there for, to ban problematic users whenever necessary to keep the community free of problems, not to completely delete a thread which for the most part had nothing illegal or content that breaks the rules.
If banning problematic users doesn't resolve the problem, then at some points you need to remove the environment which attracts the users. Especially if the people using the thread to distribute content start distributing actual illegal material via the forum - that could get the whole site purged by the authorities, and I think people will tolerate the removal of a thread more than the removal of this site.
Sending a warning message saying "guys, don't upload things that are not within our rules" by the moderators is useless, they must ban the users directly as many times as necessary and even ban their IP's if they can do so.
They already stated that they banned dozens of users, many of them probably just newly created. You cannot reliably ban a person. IP bans especially are useless. It literally takes me less than 15 seconds to get a new IP (log into router, click reconnect button), and I get a new IP each day without doing anything. I didn't get the same IP even once in the last 8 years.
But well, let's put it in the case that there are many people who pass illegal links in that thread, in that case make it impossible to post any more in it, ban or delete the illegal users and publications and that's it. There was no point in deleting the thread entirely.
True, I'm not sure why they deleted the entire thread.
No matter how you look at it, this could have been handled in a better way. Just because apparently no moderator is interested in or likes the content of a thread should not be a reason to treat it that way.
I mean, considering one moderator (who had nothing to do with the decision to nuke thread) runs a site that allows the sharing of Koikatu cards, I wouldn't say all moderators are not interested in it.
Simply kicking them out with something as basic as some users uploading content that doesn't conform to their rules.
Read the threads, and especially the moderator responses, again. It wasn't just "content that doesn't conform to their rules". The thread was used to facilitate distribution of actual illegal material.
That thread was part of this page like so many other threads and knowing that from one day to the next they can delete everything for such basic things makes me not want to participate in it.
That's the case for every single moderated community on the internet. Be it forums, subreddits, Discord servers, Telegram groups or whatever else is out there.
Personally I trust that the moderators will keep the community healthy. If they need to excise some content to keep the rest of the site running, so be it.

Reactions: Kalinn

Kalinn

Nov 3, 2021

So what's the difference? What they showed with this is that it is much easier for them to delete an entire thread which had a lot of activity just because some users uploaded things that they couldn't. I put this situation again: If I and some friends decided to fuck up one or more threads on the page, the only thing we should do is send a few illegal links for a while and that's it? That way we could delete an entire thread? If that is the case and the only way for the moderators to solve it is that, I personally think that they are not doing a good job.

Reactions: feltac and BSR_LLK

Kalinn

Nov 3, 2021
I mean, if you keep that up for months on end and creating dozens of accounts, probably.

If banning problematic users doesn't resolve the problem, then at some points you need to remove the environment which attracts the users. Especially if the people using the thread to distribute content start distributing actual illegal material via the forum - that could get the whole site purged by the authorities, and I think people will tolerate the removal of a thread more than the removal of this site.

They already stated that they banned dozens of users, many of them probably just newly created. You cannot reliably ban a person. IP bans especially are useless. It literally takes me less than 15 seconds to get a new IP (log into router, click reconnect button), and I get a new IP each day without doing anything. I didn't get the same IP even once in the last 8 years.

True, I'm not sure why they deleted the entire thread.

I mean, considering one moderator (who had nothing to do with the decision to nuke thread) runs a site that allows the sharing of Koikatu cards, I wouldn't say all moderators are not interested in it.

Read the threads, and especially the moderator responses, again. It wasn't just "content that doesn't conform to their rules". The thread was used to facilitate distribution of actual illegal material.

That's the case for every single moderated community on the internet. Be it forums, subreddits, Discord servers, Telegram groups or whatever else is out there.
Personally I trust that the moderators will keep the community healthy. If they need to excise some content to keep the rest of the site running, so be it.
Yeah, I totally understand that it is impossible to eliminate or ban all users who break the rules and that sometimes the best option is to nip the problem in the bud. But it must be admitted that his method was too extreme. Deleting an entire thread in which many people (including me) participated daily is too much in my opinion.

RPDL

do torrent. go fast.
Donor
Dec 17, 2020
So, following that logic I could start spamming links with illegal content in all the forums
You can tell there's a much deeper rooted issue when people so casually suggest posting illegal content. Says a lot too how people are choosing to move to matrix and telegram over discord.

Really makes you think!

aeblel

May 4, 2023
You are not the 1st one :), I already asked in 2 threads and in a DM to a "super moderator". No replies yet.
I guess I will wait a day or two, then if no replies, I try to recreate the thread and see if it stays or not...
I hope it just got caught in the act, or Moyuu thread was created by the user who made a mess in the general thread, so they nuked everything he posted across the whole site :unsure:

aeblel

May 4, 2023
You can tell there's a much deeper rooted issue when people so casually suggest posting illegal content. Says a lot too how people are choosing to move to matrix and telegram over discord.

Really makes you think!
Overreaction brings overreaction. You kill something this big, give "God, the amount of 10yo self absorbed brats" kind of explanation and seriously expect this will not result in a kind of shitstorm? Brings up a question who's a "10yo" here really ;)
Simply removing "illegal content" and locking the thread forever instead of purging it completely would've been completely justified and brough much less fuss.