why developer avoid RPGM....?

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Making a pure VN in rpgmaker is like trying to fill a bucket with water using your hands instead of the actual bucket.
It can be done, but it's tedious and would be stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I played lot's of rpgmaker games and enjoyed many of them. But most of them were not adult games.

If a game has battles, rpg-elements, free roaming with actual open world questlines and proper interactions. Rpgmaker is excellent.
However, that is simply not what is in many (not all) adult rpg games.
It's a VN. No battles, no rpg elements (or very minimal) and no real interaction with the world. So why even use rpgmaker if you making a pure vn?
Also, the save system and lack of skip dialogue key are annoying in rpgmaker.

HalGLC

May 12, 2017
As someone who isn't a game developer and just a fan of a lot of games, for me it's really just coming down to the fact it just takes too long running around. And a lot of the games do shit that feels like padding "go here, now go here three maps over, now go back to the place you were, now come back to here"

In short, clicking a map and going right where you want to go instantaneously is so much more satisfying. As someone else said, a lot (I won't say all) of the players here are mostly here for the content. As such we want to get to the content ASAP. Running around in sprite-mode often just feels like a big waste of time.

I love ICSTOR's games, but I'm a huge fan of the fact he ditched RPGM. Another game that I don't know if it gets enough love is Lust Town, which had a good amount of content but just went back and remade the entire game in renpy because rpgm is becoming an undesirable platform for games.

I myself admit there's games I'd love to play (like My New Life) but I'll get to it and just go "Shit, I don't have time for an rpgm" because the fact is it takes far too much time to do anything there.

That's my take

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
Can you play Grand Theft Auto 5 without combat's content ?
Can you play Grand Theft Auto 5 without vehicle's content ?

If RPGM games didn't include a real battle content, then it's just a walking simulator games. Grab this quest, walk for 1 or 2 minutes, arrive to quest target and quest end. People hate 'fetch and retrieve' quest, not in just RPGM, but in most all games with "Open World" genre.

The reason Developer avoid RPGM is for the popular sake, usually. Because many players hate it, which mean developer's popularity will surely slow in growing when using RPGM. It can be tolerated in the past, due to lack of games title. Now, there's tons of title and still daring to pick RPGM mean you're ready to accept the risk.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Mostly because more developers realized it's an engine aimed at exploration, resource management, combat and leveling an that's the opposite of what most old bad VNs did.

Reactions: Penfold Mole

HalGLC

May 12, 2017
Can you play Grand Theft Auto 5 without combat's content ?
Can you play Grand Theft Auto 5 without vehicle's content ?

If RPGM games didn't include a real battle content, then it's just a walking simulator games. Grab this quest, walk for 1 or 2 minutes, arrive to quest target and quest end. People hate 'fetch and retrieve' quest, not in just RPGM, but in most all games with "Open World" genre.

The reason Developer avoid RPGM is for the popular sake, usually. Because many players hate it, which mean developer's popularity will surely slow in growing when using RPGM. It can be tolerated in the past, due to lack of games title. Now, there's tons of title and still daring to pick RPGM mean you're ready to accept the risk.
And that bolded means more to a target audience that seeks instant gratification than people know

kimoo

Jun 6, 2017
That's not what people talk about. The problem is not the realism of the moving part but their interest. Too many people use RPG Maker for what is in fact more an extended visual novel than anything else.

Take the classical case of the MC being able to move around the world :
With Renpy, you click on the door of his room, and now have the choice to click on the doors in the hallway or to click on the stairway. You chose the last option, then click on the main door of the house. Now the MC is outside, and you are looking at a map of the world. One more click, and the MC is now in a coffee shop. In 10 seconds and 4 click you moved him to another part of the town.
With RPG Maker you will have to move the MC case by case, then remember the path to the coffee shop while still moving case by case to it. Many click (when it's a version of RPG Maker which support the mouse) and at least one full minute to do this. For what ? What it add to the game to do this ? Nothing at all.

When it's a real RPG or at least a RPG-like game, alright, there's no problem. You have the choice of your next destination and you move to it. But people like icestor, iccreation or daniel k, that you named as "best RPGM developers", mostly don't do RPG-like. When you move, you have one and only one possible destination...
In the end, in their games, you pass more time moving to the next scene, than looking at the said scene. They are not bad story writers, not bad CG makers, but it's far to make them "best RPGM developers" ; their use of the engine make them more in the worse part than the best.
Anyway, if you don't do as they expected, most of the time you crash the game. Just because (at this time at least) they never thought outside of their box. "The player must go here, must do this", that's all they took in count. And when the player don't do this, don't go here, it become a whole no man's land where everything can happen ; and half of the time it happen and end badly.

There's a whole world between their best games in RPG maker and the average Asian game made with it. The last ones have less mini-games, more need to move from a part of the map to another, but at least you've a reason to move. The map isn't a big thing with only "one possible destination at this time". You can go where you want in the order you want and so write your own story in the game.
That's the purpose of RPG Maker and how a game with RPG Maker should be done. If you want a more directive game, or even a full visual novel one, you use an engine designed for Visual Novel ; whatever it's Ren'py, Tyrano Script or another one. But you don't use RPG Maker and force the player to pass half the game walking from a given point to another given point.

Too this, you also need to add the fact that Ren'py is optimized for picture display, while RPG Maker is really slow when it come to display picture which cover the full game window. With 5 years old computers, it can take few seconds to RPG Maker to display one single picture, when Ren'py do it instantly.
even if renpy is good enough
can you make movable NPCs like in RPGM with renpy ...?
i dont think sooo

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
i know that most of you guys don't like RPGM
but there are things in games cannot be developed in renpy
like open world with character moving around you

even icestor and iccreation and daniel K (best RPGM developers)
now moved to renpy
anyone disagree
Mostly because RPGM is one of the most clunky, sluggish and resource hungry engines out there.

And you can definitely do an open world game with characters wandering around in renpy or unity, it just takes a little bit more work on the code.

kimoo

Jun 6, 2017
Mostly because RPGM is one of the most clunky, sluggish and resource hungry engines out there.

And you can definitely do an open world game with characters wandering around in renpy or unity, it just takes a little bit more work on the code.
so give me a name of game made with renpy and has NPCs moving around you

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
I didn't said there is one. I said it's doable and takes a little more work on the code.

There's pretty much nothing a skilled programmer can't do.

Xorgroth

Modder
Oct 12, 2017
I don't really like RPGM because the screen size is typically locked at lower resolution, sometimes I like going full screen and other times I don't. Plus you usually have to download whichever runtime the game was made with, you can have 3-4 different runtimes taking up space on your disk and rarely used.
Ren'Py is nice since it's cross platform and open source, so if I'm on my linux box then I can play the game like I was on my windows box. It's pretty flexible like that.

HalGLC

May 12, 2017
i dont think sooo
Even if this is true (as someone else said, programmer can do just about anything if they cared to) features like movable NPC's isn't exactly a hot commodity in the adult gaming community

kimoo

Jun 6, 2017
Even if this is true (as someone else said, programmer can do just about anything if they cared to) features like movable NPC's isn't exactly a hot commodity in the adult gaming community
i really liked my girl friend amnesia and the artificial parts
soo i think making a game with movable NPCs and open world (not empty world ) make me attached to the game
i really like when i use the keyboard to move not just clicking
and not because it's adult game it has to be linear game

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
As one example of a non-adult game with RPG elements made in Ren'Py:

For an adult one, here is a game that uses old school dungeon crawl movement mechanics and RPG combat:

Reactions: anne O'nymous

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
i dont think sooo
It a long time debated subject and the answer is yes, obviously Ren'py is good enough for this.
But why do it ? To make a game as boring as the average walk simulator made with RPG Maker ? No, thanks, I pass and I'm sure that I'll not be the only one.

For an adult one, here is a game that uses old school dungeon crawl movement mechanics and RPG combat:
It's even more than what you can have with RPG Maker since it's in old school 3D.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Here's a module for an RPG style overworld in Ren'Py, it has links to a battle system as well they suggest using with it if you want to go for the full on RPG experience:

forbidden101v

The Hentai Witcher
Modder
Jun 2, 2018
you want a developer to make open world game with unity or even unreal engine
it will take more time and need more professional developer
because it's more realistic than RPGM
It will take more time but it's more likely to be quality than something made with RPGM.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I was maked my game as VN. That means to me. The most time in game is renders not searching and exploring the map. My maps was small and there was no searching in most time game just teleports you to place where you want go. But Mostly players didn't even try my game just because it is RPGM. Or at another side. They give it bad rlower review, because of RPGM.

Most players know rpgm games from Icstor, and many of them don't like them because there is lot of walking. And automatically each other games is bad for them because what icstor have, is nice renders, and many other games not.

kimoo

Jun 6, 2017
I was maked my game as VN. That means to me. The most time in game is renders not searching and exploring the map. My maps was small and there was no searching in most time game just teleports you to place where you want go. But Mostly players didn't even try my game just because it is RPGM. Or at another side. They give it bad rlower review, because of RPGM.

Most players know rpgm games from Icstor, and many of them don't like them because there is lot of walking. And automatically each other games is bad for them because what icstor have, is nice renders, and many other games not.
iam with you icstor RPGM make me hate the RPGM
but when i tried mygirlfriend amnesia and artifact
i really now miss this engine

Reactions: Joraell

Jai Ho

May 31, 2017
Which would I rather look at... this
rpg.jpg

or this?
Photo Shoot topless.png

RPGM looks like the 80s and 90s . Let it die.