zakrath1

Oct 20, 2020
Y the issue is the save menu images or some dynamically generated imgs, even if it's not that elegant, what would be a fix ?
In the file 00action_file.rpy, in the class FileSave, I added the line:

renpy.take_screenshot()

Right before the renpy.save() line. I'm sure there's a way to verify if the screenshot is there, and if not create a new one, but this quick patch fits my needs.

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
Ho I see, I would need to re-add the modified rpy file every time I re-pack the game.

I guess the "I select something in a menu, go forward, then backward, then re-forward" "bug" can't be fixed tho-
As it's more a user issue, nothing was reselected so the game switches the scene but without the informations provided by the skipped screen resulting in a crash :(
It's logical but yeah, Renpy can't detect those "inconsistant" jumps I guess.

zakrath1

Oct 20, 2020
Ho I see, I would need to re-add the modified rpy file every time I re-pack the game.

I guess the "I select something in a menu, go forward, then backward, then re-forward" "bug" can't be fixed tho-
As it's more a user issue, nothing was reselected so the game switches the scene but without the informations provided by the skipped screen resulting in a crash :(
It's logical but yeah, Renpy can't detect those "inconsistant" jumps I guess.
I'm sure there's a way, but I'm not that familiar with renpy to figure out the best course of action. But my experience in programming was able to figure out where the problem was and find a quick fix for it.

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
I'm sure there's a way, but I'm not that familiar with renpy to figure out the best course of action. But my experience in programming was able to figure out where the problem was and find a quick fix for it.
YY but the forward-backward-forward thing in menu is actually illogical at first. Like the game SHOULD crash, and it does ^^
Don't know how to explain this / prevent this from players without disabling the ability to go forward for exemple.

zakrath1

Oct 20, 2020
YY but the forward-backward-forward thing in menu is actually illogical at first. Like the game SHOULD crash, and it does ^^
Don't know how to explain this / prevent this from players without disabling the ability to go forward for exemple.
Is there some form of error trapping in renpy, to see that if an error occurs, then create make a new screenshot and save again?

zakrath1

Oct 20, 2020
Ok, I found how to trap the error and redo the screenshot as needed, in that file:

Code:
            try:
                renpy.save(fn, extra_info=save_name)
            except Exception:
                renpy.take_screenshot()

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
Ok, I found how to trap the error and redo the screenshot as needed, in that file:

Code:
            try:
            except Exception:
                renpy.take_screenshot()
I'll implement this fix and (try) remember to put ir back after each game distribution building.
But that won't fix issues when players actually put the game in a inconsistant state, to avoid that I've added a renpy.choice_for_skipping() that would at least block skipping before the selection menu in the exam to avoid "most" of these kind of honest crashes.

Ren'py, please fix :cool:

quackk

Jan 3, 2021
I'd say it shouldn't crash actually... A rollback function that offers rollforward should save the inputs too so that it can reliably rethread the same path :D
Given the behaviour, I'm assuming that right now they only have a counter to know how many steps they can go forward. Managing a list of past inputs on top/instead is not that hard (and even if it's not implemented in the most efficient way we are not talking about drivers here, who cares)
Until they do fix it though, is there a way to just disable the rollforward? That's the part that causes problem after all

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
I'd say it shouldn't crash actually... A rollback function that offers rollforward should save the inputs too so that it can reliably rethread the same path :D
Given the behaviour, I'm assuming that right now they only have a counter to know how many steps they can go forward. Managing a list of past inputs on top/instead is not that hard (and even if it's not implemented in the most efficient way we are not talking about drivers here, who cares)
Until they do fix it though, is there a way to just disable the rollforward? That's the part that causes problem after all
No Ren'py don't save variables/input in menu.
I added some "call" screen that prevent that by disabling rollforward throught menus while the game was backwarded just before.
I guess that's a fine enought fix, like if players really pushes the game or sometimes modifies/cheat on variable and the have the game crash.. That's juste expected ^^

Thanks for the help tho- I hope the take_screenshot thing will prevent most of them :cool:
(That starts to be multiples files fron Ren'py base ones that I have to remember to modify in the archive after building distributions)

zakrath1

Oct 20, 2020
No Ren'py don't save variables/input in menu.
I added some "call" screen that prevent that by disabling rollforward throught menus while the game was backwarded just before.
I guess that's a fine enought fix, like if players really pushes the game or sometimes modifies/cheat on variable and the have the game crash.. That's juste expected ^^

Thanks for the help tho- I hope the take_screenshot thing will prevent most of them :cool:
(That starts to be multiples files fron Ren'py base ones that I have to remember to modify in the archive after building distributions)
Like I said, it should fix most of them. In the time I rolled back and forward and saved hundreds of times with that fix in place, it only caused the Ren'PY debug screen to appear once, and I had to use one of the automatic saves to restore my session.

So I'm pretty confident with this in place.

SassyBF

Jun 7, 2017
Hi Ninoss . The new version looks pretty good. I like the girls portraits appearing after interactions with them (at least when they're naked, I haven't tested it for if they're topless. Are you considering having it for different levels of clothing? It's probably not worth the effort unless it's just for something generic like a white shirt, or any photo in a bra. In any case, it makes the interaction more personal, which I think is a good touch. Other minor bugs or improvements have already been mentioned.

You may also be able to implement "if" or "try" statements in order to improve backward compatibility (e.g., if you introduce a new global variable 'myVar'):

Code:
if not('myVar' in globals()):

myVar = #function to create myVar, which would have run when you started a new game from v0.20d onwards - may also be worthwhile to create any dependent variables at this point.

myVar.append(value) #whatever you were going to do with the new variable
This should also work with locals() or hasattr() within a class. Can be a bit of a pain, but it will appease those who want to continue an old save in a new version.

I'm not sure if it's a priority, but the girls' portrait after an interaction still appears when the text refers to another girl (e.g., if you interact with Little Caprice and Jessica Albanka leaves the room due to pressure as seen below). This might be a minor thing, or you might not think it matters, but I thought I would at least bring it to your attention just in case.

Screenshot (1).png

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
Hi Ninoss . The new version looks pretty good. I like the girls portraits appearing after interactions with them (at least when they're naked, I haven't tested it for if they're topless. Are you considering having it for different levels of clothing? It's probably not worth the effort unless it's just for something generic like a white shirt, or any photo in a bra. In any case, it makes the interaction more personal, which I think is a good touch. Other minor bugs or improvements have already been mentioned.

You may also be able to implement "if" or "try" statements in order to improve backward compatibility (e.g., if you introduce a new global variable 'myVar'):

Code:

myVar = #function to create myVar, which would have run when you started a new game from v0.20d onwards - may also be worthwhile to create any dependent variables at this point.

This should also work with locals() or hasattr() within a class. Can be a bit of a pain, but it will appease those who want to continue an old save in a new version.

I'm not sure if it's a priority, but the girls' portrait after an interaction still appears when the text refers to another girl (e.g., if you interact with Little Caprice and Jessica Albanka leaves the room due to pressure as seen below). This might be a minor thing, or you might not think it matters, but I thought I would at least bring it to your attention just in case.

View attachment 2369433
Thanks ! :)
Yeah I was tryharding for this portrait system to work and I think that it adds something to the context in the game, I'm pretty happy with it ! There is only 2 states : normal and topless for portraits, topless also works when naked. I dont think I'll add more it would be really tiddy for both me and modders and often no fitting the clothing anyways.

Hum, yeah that might help for "small" updates, but as the next update will add entire new system and need a complete fresh restart anyways I don't know if it's worth bothering with it until I made less harsh modifications of the base code game during updates :unsure:

About that bug, the only way I was able to reproduce it is while backward/forwarding and basically other things fails as it counts the next or last girl you interracted with as the current one (typical of how renpy saves things).
If I only "forward" normally I didn't encounter such issues so I guess it's nothing to worry about (I hope) :rolleyes:

Reactions: SassyBF

Ninoss

Donor
Game Developer
Nov 20, 2017
I have found that, in most cases, the problem was that the screenshot of the current game's state got lost or corrupted.
What I did was patch the way renpy saved the game by creating a screenshot of the Save screen. It's not elegant, but it works.
Some Updates:

As we were discussing this on the Discord, we found out that Jordan's mod make auto-save fail after only a few days, and made the save crash thing happen more often (which could explain the wave of ppl suddently having this really niche issue)

I tried having that player applying your patch but it seems that after the bad has been done, It won't help, seemed to worked on a new save tho- (Or at least, we didn't encounter that bug again) but auto-saves was still failed.
The vanilla game don't have that auto-save issue but might still have the save issue, don't know.

Jordan will investigate to track down which exact girl and why it's happening.

splamo

Jun 26, 2018

Code:

View attachment 2369433
Is that Krystal Boyd? She definitely needs a profile. I've never heard of her as Jessica Albanka

mangasm

May 29, 2017
The blowjob action doesn't seem to work in my game, does it require the yup mod or a newer version of gdiggers mod?

Gdiggers

Dec 27, 2019
The blowjob action doesn't seem to work in my game, does it require the yup mod or a newer version of gdiggers mod?
I just tested my mod_script on a fresh save and it worked for me?

Mind you it's on the 0.23preview version, I don't think Ninoss would change too much on 0.23a that it would break it? idk

The girl's pressure has to be below 1/4th, arousal has to be above 1/4th and her corruption has to be 2 or more for it to be possible.

mangasm

May 29, 2017
I just tested my mod_script on a fresh save and it worked for me?

Mind you it's on the 0.23preview version, I don't think Ninoss would change too much on 0.23a that it would break it? idk

The girl's pressure has to be below 1/4th, arousal has to be above 1/4th and her corruption has to be 2 or more for it to be possible.
I didn't realize there were stat requirements. I'll try to test it out

SassyBF

Jun 7, 2017
Is that Krystal Boyd? She definitely needs a profile. I've never heard of her as Jessica Albanka
So just to clarify, I got that by interacting with Krystal Boyd when Jessica Albanka was at high pressure, and Jessica left the room coincidentally. The previous dialog was about my interaction with Krystal Boyd, but the portrait didn't change when the message about Jessica started. It could happen for any pair of girls, but I just used this one as an example.

To try it out (Ninoss ), just raise the pressure of one girl (girl A) so that she will leave the room even if you don't interact with her, and interact with another girl instead (girl B). After your interaction if the portrait of the girl you interacted with (girl B) shows up, it will stay up when it tells you that another girl (girl A) left the room. It doesn't seem to matter which position they are in, as far as I can tell.

4.10 star(s) 19 Votes