Seeking your top sandboxes

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
d like to give u a hard task - what is ur top 5-10 of vn-into-sb / semi-sbs games or ... 5-10 sandboxes without tag sandbox (or simulator)

Really great characters and story-telling - unfortunately im not into things with walls-of-text... comics amount of letters with bit extra suits me best (and pure vns is a skip-fest for me and in such mode all lewd scenes loose its value quite quickly so basically no point in such gaming. i need a grind and rewards ;]) but i was ok with badik and dod (which are also borderline cases)

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
for now im playing some OG'four ...moth, bb, cma, the twist (the latter 2 unfinished) ...what would be your top 5 choices after that... (smth similar... with less text, more time management ... excluding lucky mark. disqualified because skipping only on LMB)

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
yeah i mentioned it in last post ' OG'four ...moth, bb, cma, the twist ' ... know any alike games ? (in terms of UI ...that unitish locs+faces etc and hourly tracking)
Sorry, I didn't understand the abbreviation in your post. :LOL:

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
i cannot rely on my memory, have to copypast names
i played the gift, leans to VN in the first chapter...
moth(ouse) i mentioned as finished ... but indeed it fits the description :] ...i think i cannot find anything with exact UI. (apart from lucky mark...and could be glamour which i havenot checked due to controversial rates...and i recently finished bb + bb fan mods so kinda tired of bb...)
bcp - i heard femdom heavy ...
photo hunt - on my radar from earlier searches as >1000 likes, good scores. so was meant to be found and 'listed' .
last one - havenot heard, havenot reached games <200 likes. i assume not much content?.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
last one - havenot heard, havenot reached games <200 likes. i assume not much content?.
Not much content yet no but it's slowly building up it's more a game of repeatable actions so when you finish a quest you can go back and keep repeating scenes.

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
You can also check my games:

Spaced Out
Water World
Island 34

I know you already have, since I found this thread by clicking on your signature in the WW thread, but it might help others who come across this. Keep in mind that Spaced Out was my first game so I was still figuring out how to make stuff work in RenPy ;)

Reactions: Draco0

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
what is a geo-location interface in ww? like locations windows ...plus faces? (bb-like) and-or some highlights for meaningful interactions serving as a ingame tips?

Ranger

'Water World' developer
Game Developer
Jul 30, 2017
what is a geo-location interface in ww? like locations windows ...plus faces? (bb-like) and-or some highlights for meaningful interactions serving as a ingame tips?
The locations UI is a map and you can track the girls locations on it. There are also markers for the events on the map, so you can see at a glance where you need to go. There are also in-game hints for all the quests and you can check what you need to do there as well.

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
i decided not to play it. lately im picky when it comes to faces. and out of ~50 npcs maybe 10-15% is alright&above
also as i remember no insta-skipping there. which is a huge minus for me. (with renpy games i can use unren...but here is no such options... the only game i made exception was lucky mark )

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I'm kinda torn about Willy. I see why others like it but yeah, you gotta like the style. And it is indeed a bit clunky, also very adventure-y - which fits in nicely with a sandbox but it is pretty unintuitive for one.

"Lucky Mark" I like as well but would never recommend - it also is pretty unintuitive in how to advance, and if ever there was a grindfest ... (luckily I like me some grind).

MammaMea

Donor
Apr 14, 2018
I'm kinda torn about Willy. I see why others like it but yeah, you gotta like the style. And it is indeed a bit clunky, also very adventure-y - which fits in nicely with a sandbox but it is pretty unintuitive for one.

"Lucky Mark" I like as well but would never recommend - it also is pretty unintuitive in how to advance, and if ever there was a grindfest ... (luckily I like me some grind).
would love to hear ur fav games man , can u share bro Cartageno

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
unintuitive
imo any game without precise tips (caz vague tips are usually as good as having none) can be called unintuitive. that is why using text wts and/or mods is a common practice.

was a grindfest
im not into (datesimish stats) grind that is why i cheat. apart from that i dont recall any grind per se. maybe scenes with stars caz it involved some repetition

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
would love to hear ur fav games man , can u share bro Cartageno
I stand by my original list (all of them more advanced in development by now of course)

Some suggestions (all in development):

The Headmaster (very minor sci fi elements though not important for the main plot)
Love & Sex - Second Base (hope this counts as "realistic 2D")
The DeLuca Family (major rework towards "more game" in progress, one will have to wait how it turns out)
Wicked Rouge (more management than sandbox, dunno how you feel about that, set in early imperial Japan)

Mystwood Manor is the new game by Man of the House dev Faerin, which you know, very early stages though.

I also like Lucky Paradox, but it has a major supernatural theme to it which may not be to your liking.

The "Pac Man style" walking around by the way are games made with the RPGM engine, so if you see that RPGM tag in the title, it could be a warning.
Since the OP's restrictions do not apply, I will add

S.H.E.L.T.E.R. and Apocalypse, both post apocalyptic SF scenarios. The latter is a very acquired taste though, since it is (a) ridiculous body proportions (intentionally so) and (b) heavy on the political satire - let's just say if you have particularily strong feelings about the 45th president of the US in any direction and do not find anything about it funny you will not enjoy the game.

Also, last time I forgot Summertime Saga - but beware, it is being developed and often saves do not transfer so you'll have to restart.

My personal favourite though should be Man of the House (finally a completed game), but that may be nostalgia, since it was my first adult sandbox game. And the first time is always special, no matter how mundane it was.

imo any game without precise tips (caz vague tips are usually as good as having none) can be called unintuitive. that is why using text wts and/or mods is a common practice.
I will do that (use walkthroughs) sometimes if necessary, however a game that forces me to use a walkthrough and does not allow for classic try and error loses the aspect of being a game to me and becomes me typing/clicking what somebody else told me to.

im not into (datesimish stats) grind that is why i cheat. apart from that i dont recall any grind per se. maybe scenes with stars caz it involved some repetition
Nap, I don't cheat if at all possible to do it the regular way. And Lucky Mark has loads of stats going from 0-100, where you can raise most only once or twice a day, some not even that, some even cost money (online courses) which you in turn have to grind for. As I said, I like me some grind, but that one was testing me.

Also, if you're into cheating, even though it wan't your question, I would not recommend DeLuca Family and Mystwood Manor from my list. The existing cheat mods inevitably crash the game, and the same or missing scenes can easily happen if you do stat changes manually (money should be fine within the order of magnitude the game uses, but isn't really a problem in either game).

Reactions: MammaMea

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
heavy on the political satire - let's just say if you have particularily strong feelings about the 45th president of the US
i didnot play it but can assume that there will be not satire per se. meaning that something can be funny when it is based on something real. and when you continue some propaganda you consumed (without detecting it due to laziness, some naivity or neurotized state) and try to make fun of it - it is ...something else.

im not from the US but for me it looked like black mirror met orwell met wartime propaganda directed inwards. had some theories and couldnot comperehend the underlying processes.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
And adding again because I skipped the topic of fantasy themed boxes:

Long Live the Princess - not too heavy on the fantasy, but yeah, it is. Great humor, an overarching storyline, and one of the better sandboxes in terms of gameplay - some are just repeating the same task over and over, some leave you clueless, here you have a few actual puzzles to solve which are solvable but probably not on the first playthrough, so saves are recommended.

A House in the Rift - present time fantasy game with an overarching story which has been a bit neglected during the last couple of updates. Can go quite wild with the genre mix at times, and warning: moving camera animations can make you seasick if so inclined, but loveable characters and a nice set up make it all worth it. Do not miss the Halloween special!

Rebirth - more of a horror game (vampires, some eldritch). Pretty deep story and loads of interesting characters. Some complaints that it isn't "lewd enough" (it is - like DeLuca above - more focused on the story than perpetual scenes) so may not be down everybody's alley. But you don't want to be down any alley anyway, there are vampires for heaven's sake.

And some parody game I enjoyed (although more along the lines of "management" than a true sandbox) even though I don't care or don't know much about the source material:

Something Unlimited - DC universe superheroines at the mercy of Lex Luthor. Good storytelling, good art, clunky-ish gameplay though.

Reactions: HunterSeeker

HydraHenker

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Hey konabwo, I follow your signature here since I love sandbox games (And hate VNs)

I saw you on my game thread so I know you are aware of it, but for others, I would like to shamelessly plug my own game:
Time Loop Hunter : It's a time-manipulation adventure where you have to recollect the memories of whatever you do in a time loop and use it in your favor.

It's mislabeled as VN :cautious: but it's a 100% sandbox!

Cheers!