3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Feb 3, 2020
This is for Daz3D. Is there an easier way than tinkering with vertices in Blender tediously if I just want to lift the bottom of a dForce dress from below the knees folded to the breast level, or dropping a non-dForce pants down to the ankle folded? Basically some kind of an accordion tool.

I spent hours watching Blender tutorials and trying my hands at moving the triangles and realize it's going to take a LOT of practices and tedious tinkering of all the triangles deformed from my stretching/grabbing to even remotely still resemble the original.

dFormer seems to do something like an accordian but almost all cloths have welded points with body parts like waist and thights to help with bending which I am not sure how to go around. dFormer also seems to stretch out vertices badly. Maybe I am not reading/watching the right dFormer tutorials.

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
This is for Daz3D. Is there an easier way than tinkering with vertices in Blender tediously if I just want to lift the bottom of a dForce dress from below the knees folded to the breast level, or dropping a non-dForce pants down to the ankle folded? Basically some kind of an accordion tool.

I spent hours watching Blender tutorials and trying my hands at moving the triangles and realize it's going to take a LOT of practices and tedious tinkering of all the triangles deformed from my stretching/grabbing to even remotely still resemble the original.

dFormer seems to do something like an accordian but almost all cloths have welded points with body parts like waist and thights to help with bending which I am not sure how to go around. dFormer also seems to stretch out vertices badly. Maybe I am not reading/watching the right dFormer tutorials.
Mesh grabber is a great tool to lift a dress Simple lifts are very easy. If you want to have an accordion shape, it will probably be tedious, but it is definitely more adapted than d-formers.
The deformation is much more important to drop a pant, and doing that with morphs can be quite challenging whatever the tool. Maybe dforce can help. Or marvelous designer. But IMHO the best is to use pants that already have this kind of morphs and to tweak whatever is required with mesh grabber. There are some pants with down morphs available, but not so much.

EDIT: Just an idea to get an accordion shape on a dress. Put you female upsidedown with her feet up, dforce simulate, stop when you are somehow happy, tweak with mesh grabber and put your female back in a more comfortable and normal position. You can use magnets to keep the top of the dress in place if required.

Last edited:

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
EDIT: Just an idea to get an accordion shape on a dress. Put you female upsidedown with her feet up, dforce simulate, stop when you are somehow happy, tweak with mesh grabber and put your female back in a more comfortable and normal position. You can use magnets to keep the top of the dress in place if required.
If this works, you are officially a genius. :eek:

fxUC.gif

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
If this works, you are officially a genius. :eek:
:confused:
I am certain that it will NOT work in all the situations, but it should give some results in some cases.
Obviously, the dress should be loose enough at the bottom (like in real life), but sufficiently tight at the top (or solidly maintained by arms, magnets, big boobs or whatever) to avoid a complete undressing.
The bigger risk is to have the dress inversed "like an umbrella". Maybe a preliminary use of mesh grabber to do a couple of big folds can avoid that, or playing with the surface sim parameters.
Last we may get an accordion with some creases after a couple of hours experiments, but that they do not look natural.
So I am afraid that we are very far from a genius solution. But if someone experiments, his results can be interesting.

Feb 3, 2020
I've had some limited success with this trick but the problem is that many dresses have areas that are sticky like the knees, thighs or waist. Some even have a sticky point at the butt. When I dForce them upside down the dress drapes around the knees/thighs/waist instead of all the way down/up? to the breast level.

PS: I've never used meshgrabber. I thought it is just like Blender except it's within Daz. Is it easier to use than Blender?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I've had some limited success with this trick but the problem is that many dresses have areas that are sticky like the knees, thighs or waist. Some even have a sticky point at the butt. When I dForce them upside down the dress drapes around the knees/thighs/waist instead of all the way down/up? to the breast level.
Oh, that's a dissapointment.

I wonder if the clothing item has some sort of weight-map that reduces the effect of dforce on those areas.

PS: I've never used meshgrabber. I thought it is just like Blender except it's within Daz. Is it easier to use than Blender?
Meshgrabber works a little bit like blender's geometry edit mode where you try selecting some vertexes (or lines or planes) and then can free-move them with a spherical proportional editing region.

Unlike blender, it's much harder to see and select specific geometry due to the poor 3d navigation controls of daz. stuff like "select edge loop" etc that would be very helpful doesn't exist. nor does it have any concept of scaling or movement relative to an origin. There is also a meshgrabber addon that allows rotation instead of just vertex linear movement, but I haven't used it.

Meshgrabber itself is an awesome attempt to add something that does not exist in daz at all, but the problem is Daz is not designed as a general 3d editor - it's a doll poser with various extra functionality. So the UI limitations make it really difficult.

If you have access to a copy of Marvelous designer (perhaps sailing the piracy seas) you might be able to manipulate the clothing mesh to create a morph or static object that gives the look you want. I don't have experience with that program however.

Similarly, there seems ("seams" lol) to be increasingly usable functionality in blender (cloth simulation with sewing springs) for this use case, but again it is quite an edge-case in blender and there's not a lot of good information/tutorials about it. The idea here would be to import your model in the appropriate pose into blender, then import the the clothing piece as a separate mesh, then simulate/manipulate the clothing in place (without changing the geometry vertex number/connections at all, just the vertex locations), and then import the updated clothing obj file back into daz as a "geometry update" on the clothing item.

Reactions: 31971207

Feb 3, 2020
Something curious came out as I was trying to fix my favorite hair:

The hair does not come with a good selection of materials but when pairing with universal hair shaders there are always blotches where one typically associate with clipping when used in custom characters. Except that it isn't because scaling the hair up has limited impact on the blotches. I then noticed that the hair doesn't show blotches at Preview and checked that the hair's rendering subD is 3 while preview subD is 1.

I don't understand why would rendering at higher subD causing hair to fit worse. I thought higher subD on hairs make them smoother and silkier which is what I was looking for.

Maxsterbrge

Aug 30, 2017
Hello, I would like to know if someone can help with this. I had been trying to render an image on DAZ but every time that I try the image ends being really blurry. I had tried to increase the denoiser and the illumination, but unless I increase the illumination to higher levels above what I want for the image, the image don't cease to look blurry as hell.

I will attach the image for example.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
Hello, I would like to know if someone can help with this. I had been trying to render an image on DAZ but every time that I try the image ends being really blurry. I had tried to increase the denoiser and the illumination, but unless I increase the illumination to higher levels above what I want for the image, the image don't cease to look blurry as hell.

I will attach the image for example.
Your camera is out of focus.
You can either deactivate Depth of Field completely. This would result in a tag sharp but unrealistic image, or you move the focus plane on your subject and adjust it accordingly.
Both settings are located within the camera settings

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
I have been through the entire 50 page 'pose' tagged asset collection of F95Zone and I haven't seen a single asset that would include casual squatting poses (for G8). My MC for my upcoming game is in a wheelchair, and there's this thing about people that they almost feel compelled to squat when they talk to you if you sit in a wheelchair, just to not have to look down on you, even if they end up being far lower squatting and have to look up instead. I'd like to recreate that to create situations more true to life.

I was looking on F95Zone for a free resource, because I'm expecting clipping issues due to the position of the legs, so if it's becoming an issue where I need to morph every single pair of pants every single time after I'm posing every single character, I'd rather abandon the idea and would prefer not to have wasted money on the pose.

So I would very much like to see a squatting partial lower body pose I could use and still be able to freely adjust the upper body for gesturing. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you!

Maxsterbrge

Aug 30, 2017
I have been through the entire 50 page 'pose' tagged asset collection of F95Zone and I haven't seen a single asset that would include casual squatting poses (for G8). My MC for my upcoming game is in a wheelchair, and there's this thing about people that they almost feel compelled to squat when they talk to you if you sit in a wheelchair, just to not have to look down on you, even if they end up being far lower squatting and have to look up instead. I'd like to recreate that to create situations more true to life.

I was looking on F95Zone for a free resource, because I'm expecting clipping issues due to the position of the legs, so if it's becoming an issue where I need to morph every single pair of pants every single time after I'm posing every single character, I'd rather abandon the idea and would prefer not to have wasted money on the pose.

So I would very much like to see a squatting partial lower body pose I could use and still be able to freely adjust the upper body for gesturing. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thank you!
I think that there is a section on the forum to request assets, so you can ask for some asset for what you are looking for.

amster22

Nov 13, 2019

Thank you!
I do not think that you can find a set of squatting poses, but some sets may include a couple of related poses.
I rapidly searched in my DB and here are some examples with some positions close to squatting

Also some "teasing" pose set can contain squatting. I found for instance this one with a squatting pose

Pissing, of course need squatting!

Probably, also in some BJ pose sets, you can find also a couple of squatting poses.

If you find something that correspons to your needs, you can probably find a pirate version of the set to experiment here, at render-state, or another site.

Reactions: doe50818

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
I think that there is a section on the forum to request assets, so you can ask for some asset for what you are looking for.
You can only ask for assets you know how to locate, not requesting unknowns. That kind of request is for getting something in particular you want for free.

I do not think that you can find a set of squatting poses, but some sets may include a couple of related poses.
I rapidly searched in my DB and here are some examples with some positions close to squatting

Also some "teasing" pose set can contain squatting. I found for instance this one with a squatting pose

Pissing, of course need squatting!

Probably, also in some BJ pose sets, you can find also a couple of squatting poses.

If you find something that correspons to your needs, you can probably find a pirate version of the set to experiment here, at render-state, or another site.
I considered these, but most of the sexual squatting poses are for female models and high heels. Starting from scratch for G8M would be easier than to mess around with these.

lostboy

Jul 9, 2017
I downloaded Unreal Engine (The latest) and very curious about it. Is this a good base for something to post here? Also, does anyone have firsthand experience with it they could share. Thanks, appreciate input...

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Yes, that makes sense - try before you buy etc.

You can only ask for assets you know how to locate, not requesting unknowns. That kind of request is for getting something in particular you want for free.

I considered these, but most of the sexual squatting poses are for female models and high heels. Starting from scratch for G8M would be easier than to mess around with these.
If you are somehow unsatisfied by the in-good-faith answers the users on this forum have provided, I'd suggest trying the same question on the Daz official forums - mention the disabled character aspect and you'll no doubt get some help from the regulars.

doe50818

Apr 5, 2020
If you are somehow unsatisfied by the in-good-faith answers the users on this forum have provided, I'd suggest trying the same question on the Daz official forums - mention the disabled character aspect and you'll no doubt get some help from the regulars.
By pointing out "in-good-faith" I sense you only replied to criticize my response. It's important for anyone attempting to be of help to either stick to the parameters of what's being requested, or wait for someone else to provide a satisfactory answer. I prefer no answer to a non-answer, sue me.

Found my male squatting pose by the way, so if you hadn't made me reply, I would've already considered the matter closed:

https://f95zone.to/threads/igd-slouch-and-crouch-poses-for-genesis-8-males.34612/

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: osanaiko

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Just an FYI, poses are not really gender specific, any male pose can be used on a female, and vice versa. Poses are really created for a single character such as Victoria 8 or the base Female Genesis 8. These can be applied to any female character, but an elaborate pose for V8 can be wonky on Miss Chow 8 since there is a 1 foot/30 cm height difference between the two characters. A simple standing pose wouldn't be an issue, but things usually don't line up with couple poses. So it is really only the character's size that matters for a perfect match for poses and not gender, and we come to expect to fine tune any pose we use anyway.

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
I just got my hands on , a cartoon figure for G8F and she seems to not have nipples texture, so I wanted to know how could I create some nipples for her, not only for her but for other figures in general.

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not but any help is greatly appreciated xD

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I just got my hands on , a cartoon figure for G8F and she seems to not have nipples texture, so I wanted to know how could I create some nipples for her, not only for her but for other figures in general.

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not but any help is greatly appreciated xD
I don't know that figure specifically, but there are geo-graft add-on nipples like "Headlights" of "Real Nipples" that can be added to any figure.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
I'm currently experimenting with the simulation of real-world cameras. In this case, I try to recreate the look of a Hasselblad X1D-50c, paired with some interesting features of Peter Coulson's postwork process.
To recreate the sensor I'm using its specs in an Iray camera as followed:
Frame Width 43,8mm
Focal Length 120mm
Aspect Ratio 1034:775
51,3MP (8272x6200 px)

Right now I do every lense specific variation in postwork but I'm not quite sure if the realism could be improved when I try to figure out the lens settings for the specs instead. I'm a b/w enthusiast to CAs wouldn't be an issue (Iray won't simulate them anyway.)
The biggest issue I have is to figure out a feasible lens thickness. (The real-world spec is 60,8mm from the first vertex to the last.) I can't make any sense out of it in DAZ. No matter what I try with it, it seems to do nothing anymore. I've read some of the explanations on the internet, but they seem all to be outdated. Could somebody here elaborate me about it and maybe say from experience, if it is worth the hassle to deal with the general lens settings (besides "Blades") in DAZ or if it would be better to just use the correction different profiles in postwork tools?

Hasselblad_test.jpg
Lens distortion, Vignette etc. is done with the postwork correction profile of a Carl Zeiss 120mm in RawTherapee.

P.s: I had to resize the sample image, even if the original was less them 10 MB. -.-

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote