3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
What is the easiest way to make minor color/tint edits in face textures for G8F using GIMP?

Someone was nice enough to give me his private character but the mascara and eye shadow on the diffuse map are kinda heavy. I would like to change it to a cleaner look. It's easy to add mascara and eye shadow using LIE or makeup channel in G8.1 but I don't know how to remove it.
The easiest way would probably be to ask him if he could send it again without eye makeup or makeup at all.

It might not be separate, but you could try looking at the layered image editor to turn them off on the surfaces tab for the figure's face. (I think it's something like Selected figure > surfaces > Skin (I think there's a dropdown menu that shows all the portions also called surfaces) > Face > click on the top most option that shows the figures face (not sure here, but I think it's base color. Could be wrong) > Layered image editor. That's how I usually turn off freckles or makeup, or sometimes eyebrows on a figure if it doesn't come with the option to do so. But sometimes they're all just a single layer, likely depends on the creator. Edit: You could also try applying a skin that's similar to what it has, should basically kick off all the makeup, even if the skin looks a bit different.

Feb 3, 2020
The easiest way would probably be to ask him if he could send it again without eye makeup or makeup at all.

It might not be separate, but you could try looking at the layered image editor to turn them off on the surfaces tab for the figure's face. (I think it's something like Selected figure > surfaces > Skin (I think there's a dropdown menu that shows all the portions also called surfaces) > Face > click on the top most option that shows the figures face (not sure here, but I think it's base color. Could be wrong) > Layered image editor. That's how I usually turn off freckles or makeup, or sometimes eyebrows on a figure if it doesn't come with the option to do so. But sometimes they're all just a single layer, likely depends on the creator. Edit: You could also try applying a skin that's similar to what it has, should basically kick off all the makeup, even if the skin looks a bit different.
Sorry I should have been more clear. The makeups are in the base diffuse map and not using LIE. It's how the person likes it and it would be rude of me to ask for another texture after he already did me the favor of letting me play with it.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Sorry I should have been more clear. The makeups are in the base diffuse map and not using LIE. It's how the person likes it and it would be rude of me to ask for another texture after he already did me the favor of letting me play with it.
Sounds like you are stuck with either manually painting the makeup out of the diffuse map (which sounds seriously hard to do well unless you are a skilled photoshop artist), or as MissFortune said, switching to a different character skin. If you really want to use this "special" character skin without makeup, the only realistic way is to get the original image without makeup "baked in" from the creator.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Did it give you just the maps or with the shader setup as well? You may have already look, but some artist use a slighty brighter diffuse as SSS map (slotted in translucency color). Lot use the same map (or an old school greyscale one) as well tho.

Feb 3, 2020
Sounds like you are stuck with either manually painting the makeup out of the diffuse map (which sounds seriously hard to do well unless you are a skilled photoshop artist), or as MissFortune said, switching to a different character skin. If you really want to use this "special" character skin without makeup, the only realistic way is to get the original image without makeup "baked in" from the creator.
Thanks, I was hoping there is an easy way.

Did it give you just the maps or with the shader setup as well? You may have already look, but some artist use a slighty brighter diffuse as SSS map (slotted in translucency color). Lot use the same map (or an old school greyscale one) as well tho.
Unfortunately it's on the diffuse map.

Reactions: osanaiko

RaXorX

Dec 24, 2018
Using Daz 4.6 with the HD morph loader. I can export and import from it fine, but if I export anything from Daz 4.9+ and import back in Daz 4.6, it turns into a distorted starry figure. Pointed and the entire figure turns to be a star. Now I am trying to figure out how to avoid that.

If I sculpt a figure in blender and export it with multires, within 4.6 the result is the same too, distorted starry figure. The only thing that works so far is using 4.6, export via Carrara, sculpt on that in blender and import that back, without any modifieres applied to it. That way it works fine. Anyone who can shed some light on this perhaps or how to move past this issue?

Another thing. In Daz 4.9+, (currently using 4.15), how can I save a scene file where I had deleted some part of the morph from a figure using the Geometry editor? I reckon I must save it again as a character preset or something? Otherwise, whenever I load the saved scene file the entire modification is reversed.

Helions

Dec 28, 2018
I’ve been searching for how to do the “bra-less” (deform the clothing to show the shape of the nipple) and “camel toe” looks.

Perhaps I’m using the wrong search terms, but I’m not able to find this either here or on plain Google.

Could someone point me towards the right direction?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I’ve been searching for how to do the “bra-less” (deform the clothing to show the shape of the nipple) and “camel toe” looks.

Perhaps I’m using the wrong search terms, but I’m not able to find this either here or on plain Google.

Could someone point me towards the right direction?
Daz clothing is generally "wrapped" to the underlying body surface (i.e. the clothing auto-follows the underlying mesh vertexes) at some specific distance chosen by the designer.

For the breasts/nipples, most tight clothing like t-shirt or underwear is very closely mapped, so any changes to the underlying mesh will appear on the clothing automatically. If you use a "nipple erect" morph it should show on the clothing surface. If you are not seeing what you want, try increasing the Sub-D on the clothing item - the extra geometry resolution should allow it to follow the underlying surface more closely.

The female genitals are not part of the default mesh, and even with the official add-on there is not a lot of mesh resolution. Similarly with female underwear, there is often not a very high resolution mesh in the crotch area. So it's harder to get a tightly conforming "camel toe" shape. I don't know if this situation is improved with the 3rd party genital products like golden palace etc.

There is "cameltoe" product on renderotica "Juicy-Wet-Cameltoe-For-Genesis-8" that might help. Similarly this product "Camel-Toe-String-For-Genesis-8-Females" has a specific morph for "camel toe effect" (note: I haven't tried it myself).

Alternatively you could try a D-former (or a few d-formers) or maybe the "meshgrabber" products to pull the underlying geometry and the surface clothing into the shape you want.

Most extreme path would be to use blender and create your own morph for the genitals, and hopefully the clothing would follow the surface (perhaps needing more Sub-D).

Reactions: Helions

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Using Daz 4.6 with the HD morph loader. I can export and import from it fine, but if I export anything from Daz 4.9+ and import back in Daz 4.6, it turns into a distorted starry figure. Pointed and the entire figure turns to be a star. Now I am trying to figure out how to avoid that.
When you import back with morph loader, did you check for morph subdivision and built resolution?

RaXorX

Dec 24, 2018
When you import back with morph loader, did you check for morph subdivision and built resolution?
Yep, otherwise it'd give an error about geometry mismatch. Also, exporting from Daz 4.9+ back to 4.6 that distortion happens with base exports too not just High resolution ones.

EDIT: Alright, base exports are fine but not the HD ones. Hmm, that happens only with subd lvl 3. subd lvl 1 was fine. Lemme try with subd lvl 2 then.
EDIT: I fixed it ;).

Last edited:

Helions

Dec 28, 2018
Thanks, that was really helpful!

I've managed to find a tight piece of clothing with enough polygons to deform the way I want, but I've realised that most clothing aren't detailed enough especially around the nipple area.

Is there an easy way to increase the poly count of a piece of clothing I want, to get this kind of effect?

D-Former and Mesh-Grabber will pull existing meshes, but don't think they can help much if the clothing doesn't have enough polygons to begin with.

Screenshot 2021-08-14 144802.png

Daz clothing is generally "wrapped" to the underlying body surface (i.e. the clothing auto-follows the underlying mesh vertexes) at some specific distance chosen by the designer.

For the breasts/nipples, most tight clothing like t-shirt or underwear is very closely mapped, so any changes to the underlying mesh will appear on the clothing automatically. If you use a "nipple erect" morph it should show on the clothing surface. If you are not seeing what you want, try increasing the Sub-D on the clothing item - the extra geometry resolution should allow it to follow the underlying surface more closely.

The female genitals are not part of the default mesh, and even with the official add-on there is not a lot of mesh resolution. Similarly with female underwear, there is often not a very high resolution mesh in the crotch area. So it's harder to get a tightly conforming "camel toe" shape. I don't know if this situation is improved with the 3rd party genital products like golden palace etc.

There is "cameltoe" product on renderotica "Juicy-Wet-Cameltoe-For-Genesis-8" that might help. Similarly this product "Camel-Toe-String-For-Genesis-8-Females" has a specific morph for "camel toe effect" (note: I haven't tried it myself).

Alternatively you could try a D-former (or a few d-formers) or maybe the "meshgrabber" products to pull the underlying geometry and the surface clothing into the shape you want.

Most extreme path would be to use blender and create your own morph for the genitals, and hopefully the clothing would follow the surface (perhaps needing more Sub-D).

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks, that was really helpful!

I've managed to find a tight piece of clothing with enough polygons to deform the way I want, but I've realised that most clothing aren't detailed enough especially around the nipple area.

Is there an easy way to increase the poly count of a piece of clothing I want, to get this kind of effect?

D-Former and Mesh-Grabber will pull existing meshes, but don't think they can help much if the clothing doesn't have enough polygons to begin with.

View attachment 1351439
Yes, the process of increasing the mesh resolution without changing anything else is called "Sub-D" (from subdivide). The software literally splits each quad into 4 smaller quads (quadrupling the number of faces) for each level of sub-d.

In Daz, you control the SubD settings on any object in the scene with the controls on the Parameters->Mesh Resolution tab.

IN this example, i've got the same object twice.
First one at Resolution Level "base resolution", with SubD = 0.
Second is at Resolution Level "High resolution", with SubD = 2.
Then i used meshgrabber to stretch a face out. You can see how much smoother the curve surface is on the subD = 2 object.

1628926924316.png

Reactions: Boogie and Helions

3dbrah

Jun 20, 2020
I tried to render a scene I made in Daz Studio with Iray render engine. It gave a black render. The log file said I didnt have enough memory in my graphics card. So the render failed. I tried it again with Octane render engine in Daz Studio. Now I didnt get a black render, I got a good one. Normally this shouldnt work like that as far as I know. Because if the GPU doesnt have enough memory to fit the scene, it makes no difference what render engine is used? I am clearly missing something here.

Can anyone enlighten me here?

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
I tried to render a scene I made in Daz Studio with Iray render engine. It gave a black render. The log file said I didnt have enough memory in my graphics card. So the render failed. I tried it again with Octane render engine in Daz Studio. Now I didnt get a black render, I got a good one. Normally this shouldnt work like that as far as I know. Because if the GPU doesnt have enough memory to fit the scene, it makes no difference what render engine is used? I am clearly missing something here.

Can anyone enlighten me here?
I cannot say for sure, but the amount of memory required depends of course on the scene complexity, but also on the rendering program. Some programs may be smarter, share some textures, dynamically load/unload textures on demand, use a reduced version if a surface is far away, etc.
Iray is written by nvidia and it is nvidia interest to sell new cards with more memory. So maybe, they did not put real efforts to minimize the memory footprint. While it can be a marketing argument for Octane for use less memory than iray. But these are just speculations.

Reactions: 3dbrah

Helions

Dec 28, 2018
Yes, the process of increasing the mesh resolution without changing anything else is called "Sub-D" (from subdivide). The software literally splits each quad into 4 smaller quads (quadrupling the number of faces) for each level of sub-d.

In Daz, you control the SubD settings on any object in the scene with the controls on the Parameters->Mesh Resolution tab.

IN this example, i've got the same object twice.
First one at Resolution Level "base resolution", with SubD = 0.
Second is at Resolution Level "High resolution", with SubD = 2.
Then i used meshgrabber to stretch a face out. You can see how much smoother the curve surface is on the subD = 2 object.

View attachment 1351504
Thanks, I gave that a try by cranking up the SubD level of this sundress to 4, and the collision iterations to 100. But still there is some clipping with the body as you can see.

I tried applying a 0.1 Push Modifier and the problem went away, but is this the best way to fix the clipping?

Screenshot 2021-08-14 195521.png

3dbrah

Jun 20, 2020
I cannot say for sure, but the amount of memory required depends of course on the scene complexity, but also on the rendering program. Some programs may be smarter, share some textures, dynamically load/unload textures on demand, use a reduced version if a surface is far away, etc.
Iray is written by nvidia and it is nvidia interest to sell new cards with more memory. So maybe, they did not put real efforts to minimize the memory footprint. While it can be a marketing argument for Octane for use less memory than iray. But these are just speculations.
I just installed Luxus plugin in Daz and rendered with Luxrender. The render works fine as well, no black screen. The problem is thus unique to Iray. If using alternatives to Iray works for me, then I use those. Anyway, my issue can now be considered as resolved.

Thanks for your help.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Thanks, I gave that a try by cranking up the SubD level of this sundress to 4, and the collision iterations to 100. But still there is some clipping with the body as you can see.

I tried applying a 0.1 Push Modifier and the problem went away, but is this the best way to fix the clipping?

View attachment 1351863
Poke through is a never ending issue with some clothes/body geometry.

If you can't get it fixed with the collision settings, then using clothing morph sliders (if it has some), meshgrabber, "d-form", push modifier.... anything that will fix it for you is good. There is no "best practice". You can even choose to edit the spot away in post with photoshop etc.

In this case, if you are using geograft add on nipples (e.g. Headlamps or similar product ) it can be hard to avoid. So often it's easier to remove the geograft when the clothes are on, and just use meshgrabber to fake an erect nipple on the clothing surface.

Nice model by the way - reminds me of Liv tyler a bit.

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Poke through is a never ending issue with some clothes/body geometry.

If you can't get it fixed with the collision settings, then using clothing morph sliders (if it has some), meshgrabber, "d-form", push modifier.... anything that will fix it for you is good. There is no "best practice". You can even choose to edit the spot away in post with photoshop etc.

In this case, if you are using geograft add on nipples (e.g. Headlamps or similar product ) it can be hard to avoid. So often it's easier to remove the geograft when the clothes are on, and just use meshgrabber to fake an erect nipple on the clothing surface.

Nice model by the way - reminds me of Liv tyler a bit.
Agree will al the above.
You can also try a trick that I use to remove a poke through when I feel lazy. Just add a geoshell cloth. There are many ranging from undies to full body suit. For your problem, you can probably use for instance this free bra geoshell
Then tweak the geoshell texture until the poke through is no longer visible.
And voila!
Will not work very well for close-up renders, but otherwise a fast way to remove hide poke through.

Helions

Dec 28, 2018
I have another question with Daz.

There's a character model where I really like how the body has been morphed, and another model where I really like the face. But being two different "products", each have a dial where it becomes that character when dialed up to 100%.

Is there a way to look at which morph presets were used in each?

Or if not, is there at least a way to merge the two so I have the face of model A with the body of model B?

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
I have another question with Daz.

There's a character model where I really like how the body has been morphed, and another model where I really like the face. But being two different "products", each have a dial where it becomes that character when dialed up to 100%.

Is there a way to look at which morph presets were used in each?

Or if not, is there at least a way to merge the two so I have the face of model A with the body of model B?
Very easy.
1/ Load a base g8F (or whatever family you want to work with) and select her
2/ go to parameter, search character A body and dial it 100%. Search char B face and dial it 100%.
Done
To get the dials, the simpler is to type the name of the char (victoria or whatever) in the search bar of the parameter tab.

You can also use the skin of character C if you want, but the process is a bit different. Select your character, then ctrl-click on another char. DS will propose you to replace your char morphs or your char skin (or both) by the ones of this new char.

Reactions: Helions
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote