3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
Another dumb question, do someone know how I would be able to use/make a background like ? I really wanted to use some purple/green background for some of my shots but not sure how I would be able to do something like that :confused:

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Another dumb question, do someone know how I would be able to use/make a background like ? I really wanted to use some purple/green background for some of my shots but not sure how I would be able to do something like that :confused:
Well, the simple option is using a primitive (a plane for the floor and the wall would be best, most likely) and changing the base color of it, along with eliminating the reflectiveness of it. Then you could brighten/darken as needed in post. The slightly easier but more expensive option is getting a Photoshoot background/backdrop of some sort ( , or .) and using a shader to change the color of it.

Or you could get creative and experiment with something like .

Reactions: AnchovyFuta

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
Well, the simple option is using a primitive (a plane for the floor and the wall would be best, most likely) and changing the base color of it, along with eliminating the reflectiveness of it. Then you could brighten/darken as needed in post. The slightly easier but more expensive option is getting a Photoshoot background/backdrop of some sort ( , or .) and using a shader to change the color of it.

Or you could get creative and experiment with something like .
Hmm, I was thinking of making a HDRI with the color purple or green but the problem was the light, I assume I can't use 2 HDRI, one for the image and other for light. I guess the first and second ones are pretty good, I think there was a free environment like the second one on DeviantArt but I don't really remember where it is.

Thanks, I think I know what I will do, just have to test around with it...

Apr 18, 2021
Hmm, I was thinking of making a HDRI with the color purple or green but the problem was the light, I assume I can't use 2 HDRI, one for the image and other for light. I guess the first and second ones are pretty good, I think there was a free environment like the second one on DeviantArt but I don't really remember where it is.

Alternatively, use whatever HDRI you want for lighting, in Render Settings have Draw Ground turned on for the shadow and turn off Draw Dome. This will give you a transparent background. Then open the render in Photoshop and simply fill a background layer with your color then add a gradient for the "ground".

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017

Attached to this message is a super simple photoshoot backdrop object I made in blender.

1630559901812.png

If you notice any color banding on the curve, just increase the SubD level of the object in Daz.

It's an "Obj" file so you'll need to "Import" it. Should work with the following import settings.

1630559293645.png

The whole backdrop is one surface, and you should set it to the color/gloss/etc you want, and it is also uvmapped so you could potentially put an image there.

Once you've imported it and set it up the way you like, you can save it as a scene / scene subset / "Support Asset -> Figure/Prop Asset" and then use it whenever.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AnchovyFuta

3dbrah

Jun 20, 2020
Does anyone happen to know Octane tutorials to get shells and textures to work in Octane render engine? For Daz Studio.

red-NINE

Jul 11, 2019
Make-up Problem

Hi, I am having a little problem while applying make up like eye liner in Daz 4.15. I loaded a G8F character, applied skin of another G8F character (all good so far) but when I apply make up, the skin of face also changes. See attached images, the ONLY difference between the two images is that I applied make up in the second one. I just want to apply the eye liner, not whole skin for face. How can I do this?

A little more info - I loaded a G8F character (EJ Adora) applied skin of another G8F character (Leony) and am trying to apply make of another G8F character (Ajisai). Tried multipe different character's make up option but they all changes the face skin.

1.jpg
2.jpg

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Make-up Problem

Hi, I am having a little problem while applying make up like eye liner in Daz 4.15. I loaded a G8F character, applied skin of another G8F character (all good so far) but when I apply make up, the skin of face also changes. See attached images, the ONLY difference between the two images is that I applied make up in the second one. I just want to apply the eye liner, not whole skin for face. How can I do this?

A little more info - I loaded a G8F character (EJ Adora) applied skin of another G8F character (Leony) and am trying to apply make of another G8F character (Ajisai). Tried multipe different character's make up option but they all changes the face skin.

View attachment 1388408
View attachment 1388409

What you want to use are LIE (Layered Image Editor) make-up options. These are images that you can layer over the skin so that it doesn't change the base. Looking up the character Ajisai, it says only the Blush option is a LIE, so everything else is just an alternative map of the base skin.

red-NINE

Jul 11, 2019
What you want to use are LIE (Layered Image Editor) make-up options. These are images that you can layer over the skin so that it doesn't change the base. Looking up the character Ajisai, it says only the Blush option is a LIE, so everything else is just an alternative map of the base skin.
Thanks bro.
Another follow up question - Are there collection of LIE make up options in daz store (like there are collection of poses)?

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Thanks bro.
Another follow up question - Are there collection of LIE make up options in daz store (like there are collection of poses)?
Except a couple that are based on a geoshell, almost all make up assets are LIE. There are tens of assets by artists like Neikdian, Fuseling, PhilW, etc. Just search for "make-up" or "makeup" in daz store and see which one you like. There are also some tool to create LIE make up by Riversoft and Arki. And you can can also use Zev0 skin builder to add a makeup.
Also note that many makeup packaged with chars are also LIE and if you like the style and already own the char it is obviously much cheaper.

samibossno2

Jun 11, 2019
Hello!I'm trying to use a tool called "Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls".It doesn't just fit no meter how many time i install it.It's just there doing nothing.No expression can be created.I've watched every youtube video of its regarding.It would be very appreciated if somebody tell what i'm missing here.AND i'm pretty new at Daz3d and didn't buy this tool. Capture.PNG

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Hello!I'm trying to use a tool called "Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls".It doesn't just fit no meter how many time i install it.It's just there doing nothing.No expression can be created.I've watched every youtube video of its regarding.It would be very appreciated if somebody tell what i'm missing here.AND i'm pretty new at Daz3d and didn't buy this tool. View attachment 1389692
It is indeed a great tool, but not very convenient to use IMO and I needed some time to understand how to use it. You have to select the control item (genesis face control and it is parented to the char), then select one of the control point and move it, as you would move any item in DS. That is by using the displacement tool (the small cross with arrows in the top menu bar). Then when you go over the selected part, a displacement gizmo appears and you can move the point as you want by dragging one of the arrows of the gizmo. Alternatively, you can use the parameter>translation tab (may be useful for fine tuning). I had some difficulty using it properly and I am still very clumsy, but this tool really allows to make very specific expressions that would be impossible to create otherwise.
Note that you can translate the item and/or change its color and it is frequently useful to see it properly.

Apr 18, 2021
Hello!I'm trying to use a tool called "Genesis 3 & 8 Face Controls".It doesn't just fit no meter how many time i install it.It's just there doing nothing.No expression can be created.I've watched every youtube video of its regarding.It would be very appreciated if somebody tell what i'm missing here.AND i'm pretty new at Daz3d and didn't buy this tool.
IMO you get better results using premade expressions, especially those made for an specific character. You just need to experiment with them until you find some you like. Eyes can be positioned by selecting them and choosing "look at" then the camera, a null or object of interest.

samibossno2

Jun 11, 2019
It is indeed a great tool, but not very convenient to use IMO and I needed some time to understand how to use it. You have to select the control item (genesis face control and it is parented to the char), then select one of the control point and move it, as you would move any item in DS. That is by using the displacement tool (the small cross with arrows in the top menu bar). Then when you go over the selected part, a displacement gizmo appears and you can move the point as you want by dragging one of the arrows of the gizmo. Alternatively, you can use the parameter>translation tab (may be useful for fine tuning). I had some difficulty using it properly and I am still very clumsy, but this tool really allows to make very specific expressions that would be impossible to create otherwise.
Note that you can translate the item and/or change its color and it is frequently useful to see it properly.
It doesn't do anything.It's changes its own shape but the model face remains the same.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
It doesn't do anything.It's changes its own shape but the model face remains the same.
A couple of possibilities:
1) the control is not a child of the model you are targeting
2) how did you install it? manually, or via DIM?
3) maybe it is just borked.

Reactions: amster22

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
A couple of possibilities:
1) the control is not a child of the model you are targeting
2) how did you install it? manually, or via DIM?
3) maybe it is just borked.
1/ load your char and select it
2/ WITH THE CHAR SELECTED, double click on "genesis face control". The asset should be parented to the char. If not, parent it directly
3/ (optional) move the asset where you want
4/ use the displacement tool
5/ select one of the bones of the asset. A displacement gizmo should appear.
6/ Click on one of the ARROWS OF THE GIZMO (it will become yellow)
7/ move it

NB As already indicated, it is generally much better to use premade expressions. But you can do with this tools very specific expressions impossible to create otherwise
Capture d’écran (1).png Capture d’écran (5).png Capture d’écran (6).png

Feb 3, 2020
All G8F hairs are really thick with too much volume. This is especially so for straight hairs that just don't look right. Is there an easy way to thin them? G1 or V4 have straight hairs that are realistic thin. What happened?

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
All G8F hairs are really thick with too much volume. This is especially so for straight hairs that just don't look right. Is there an easy way to thin them? G1 or V4 have straight hairs that are realistic thin. What happened?
Its is your assertion that thick hair do not look realistic. It probably depends on many factor, including cultural ones. And there are definitely thin hair for g8F. Look for instance at all the work of HerYun Her hair are very thin (and fantastic to use on a crowd because they are so light in terms of polys).

But here are some ways to answer your question (easier to more difficult)
A/ just use the the V4 hair that you like. Hair are generally easy to use between different generation. There are converters, but they are most of the time useless. Just parent the hair to your char, fix the position and it is done.

B/ select the hair that is too thick and look in the surface tab. There may be different surfaces in the hair and you can try to hide some (by modifying the cutout opacity slider).

C/ use the geometry editor to hide some parts of the hair. It is easy (as it does not require any specific knowledge), but can be long and tedious.
1/ select the hair,
2/ (optional, but useful) set the display as wire texture shaded to see the polygons
3/ use the geometry editor (shift-alt-G) and display the "tool settings" tab. Verify that your selection tyoe is "polygons"
In this tab, you see all the surfaces that are in the asset. The purpose is to define a new surface with the unwanted part of the hair in order to hide it.
4/ select polygons on some parts of the hair that you want to hide. There are many tricks to ease this polygon selection and there can be so many polygons in hair that you should use them. You can probably find a good tutorial on the geometry editor. (see for instance )
5/ create a new surface with these selected polygons right-click>geometry assignment>create surface from selected and add selected to surface once the surface is created
6/ make this surface invisible (click in the eye on the surface in the tool settings tab or use the surface tab to modify cutout opacity as in B/). You can also delete the polygons (but it is permanent).
7/ continue until you are happy with the result
Note that your are constrained by the existing geometry of the hair and there is no guaranty that you will obtain what you want. But you can try to unthicken hair this way.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote