3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Feb 3, 2020
Its is your assertion that thick hair do not look realistic. It probably depends on many factor, including cultural ones. And there are definitely thin hair for g8F. Look for instance at all the work of HerYun Her hair are very thin (and fantastic to use on a crowd because they are so light in terms of polys).

But here are some ways to answer your question (easier to more difficult)
A/ just use the the V4 hair that you like. Hair are generally easy to use between different generation. There are converters, but they are most of the time useless. Just parent the hair to your char, fix the position and it is done.

B/ select the hair that is too thick and look in the surface tab. There may be different surfaces in the hair and you can try to hide some (by modifying the cutout opacity slider).

C/ use the geometry editor to hide some parts of the hair. It is easy (as it does not require any specific knowledge), but can be long and tedious.
1/ select the hair,
2/ (optional, but useful) set the display as wire texture shaded to see the polygons
3/ use the geometry editor (shift-alt-G) and display the "tool settings" tab. Verify that your selection tyoe is "polygons"
In this tab, you see all the surfaces that are in the asset. The purpose is to define a new surface with the unwanted part of the hair in order to hide it.
4/ select polygons on some parts of the hair that you want to hide. There are many tricks to ease this polygon selection and there can be so many polygons in hair that you should use them. You can probably find a good tutorial on the geometry editor. (see for instance )
5/ create a new surface with these selected polygons right-click>geometry assignment>create surface from selected and add selected to surface once the surface is created
6/ make this surface invisible (click in the eye on the surface in the tool settings tab or use the surface tab to modify cutout opacity as in B/). You can also delete the polygons (but it is permanent).
7/ continue until you are happy with the result
Note that your are constrained by the existing geometry of the hair and there is no guaranty that you will obtain what you want. But you can try to unthicken hair this way.
I use HY hair almost exclusively but she doesn't have many products.

samibossno2

Jun 11, 2019
1/ load your char and select it
2/ WITH THE CHAR SELECTED, double click on "genesis face control". The asset should be parented to the char. If not, parent it directly
3/ (optional) move the asset where you want
4/ use the displacement tool
5/ select one of the bones of the asset. A displacement gizmo should appear.
6/ Click on one of the ARROWS OF THE GIZMO (it will become yellow)
7/ move it

NB As already indicated, it is generally much better to use premade expressions. But you can do with this tools very specific expressions impossible to create otherwise
View attachment 1390522 View attachment 1390523 View attachment 1390524
Thank you.This steps works wonderful.

Reactions: osanaiko
Apr 18, 2021
Does anyone else have problems with Shells and Golden Palace for G8F? I used the shell script fix and hid the shell for the torso but that only results in Golden Palace being the wrong color. I can tweak the surface settings but cannot get them just quite right. This is only when using body shells for the G8F model. Finally gave up and started using New Gens.

o7sniip

Dec 6, 2020
Is it at all possible to render (in DAZ) a single piece of clothing and compositing it on a character while preserving the ambient occlusion/shadows? In this scene, notice the clothing produces shadows on the character, and the wall:

test - AIO nude.png

test - AIO clothed.png

Rendering just the clothes by using canvases results in no shadows being cast on the character when compositing them in, which looks really bad. Is my only option to render the whole scene twice, just to get different clothes on the character? I was hoping there would be a way to render a base nude layer, and then just put the clothes on separately. But since no shadows get rendered out I'm at a loss.

Apr 18, 2021
Is it at all possible to render (in DAZ) a single piece of clothing and compositing it on a character while preserving the ambient occlusion/shadows? In this scene, notice the clothing produces shadows on the character, and the wall:

View attachment 1415964

View attachment 1415963

Rendering just the clothes by using canvases results in no shadows being cast on the character when compositing them in, which looks really bad. Is my only option to render the whole scene twice, just to get different clothes on the character? I was hoping there would be a way to render a base nude layer, and then just put the clothes on separately. But since no shadows get rendered out I'm at a loss.
Use the spot render tool.

Reactions: o7sniip

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
Not sure if I should be asking this here but does someone know how to change the texture color in PS?

What I want to do is change the texture color of the torso that I'm using, to another torso, just doing that because I don't like the nipple texture of the one that I'm using :p

This is the that I'm using, and I want to use the one that comes with Victoria 8. I know that I could just change the translucency weight to get another color and etc, but the face texture that I'm using have makeup and I if I try to change the translucency the face gets a little pink for some reason (and sadly there is no version with the makeup separated, it's a custom model btw).

I heard about the skin builder for Genesis 8 but I'm not so sure if that would be useful? But if it is let me know so I can free up some space and install it.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Not sure if I should be asking this here but does someone know how to change the texture color in PS?

What I want to do is change the texture color of the torso that I'm using, to another torso, just doing that because I don't like the nipple texture of the one that I'm using :p

This is the that I'm using, and I want to use the one that comes with Victoria 8. I know that I could just change the translucency weight to get another color and etc, but the face texture that I'm using have makeup and I if I try to change the translucency the face gets a little pink for some reason (and sadly there is no version with the makeup separated, it's a custom model btw).

I heard about the skin builder for Genesis 8 but I'm not so sure if that would be useful? But if it is let me know so I can free up some space and install it.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!
Changing just one material area (i.e. the torso body part) to use a different character's skin texture images will result in visible seams where it joins to other body parts with the original skin. Unfortunately this makes skin surfaces sets largely "monolithic".

if the specific issue is just the nipple area of the skin, then one option would be to use an image editor with enough functionality to allow detailed blending, cut the nipples from the relevant skin texture diffuse layer and paste onto the the diffuse layer of the custom skin. It would be tricky to get it to look right (hence the need for blending the edges of the pasted region over the underlying skin), and you wouldn't get any matching displacement/gloss/etc effects (unless you also pasted those from the source relevant texture images). But it might work.

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
osanaiko so are you saying that my only option would be to try to cut the nipples of my desire and then try to attach it to the torso that I'm using? I really suck at Photoshop and any other image editing software so I'm not sure if I can do that, that's why I asked for a way to change the color of my current torso, in that way I also would change the other body parts. I assume that little program(?) called Skin Builder will not help me with this right? Thanks a lot for answering, really appreciate it :)

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
osanaiko so are you saying that my only option would be to try to cut the nipples of my desire and then try to attach it to the torso that I'm using? I really suck at Photoshop and any other image editing software so I'm not sure if I can do that, that's why I asked for a way to change the color of my current torso, in that way I also would change the other body parts. I assume that little program(?) called Skin Builder will not help me with this right? Thanks a lot for answering, really appreciate it :)
Well, there might be other options, but personally I would try to fix it like I described - with image editing for the problem area, cut and paste the nipples you like over the problem in the torso image of the base skin you like.

I have never used skin builder so I can't say if that would work or not.

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
Well, there might be other options, but personally I would try to fix it like I described - with image editing for the problem area, cut and paste the nipples you like over the problem in the torso image of the base skin you like.

I have never used skin builder so I can't say if that would work or not.
Damn, that sucks, I guess I will need to learn how to do that on PS, I could also use headlights and other possible nipple products but I would like to use a natural nipples if possible, anyways, thanks a lot for the reply!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Damn, that sucks, I guess I will need to learn how to do that on PS, I could also use headlights and other possible nipple products but I would like to use a natural nipples if possible, anyways, thanks a lot for the reply!
It's good and bad - photoshop (or other photo editors, you don't necessarily need PS for something simple like this) skills are very useful if you are getting into 3d work, both for post-work, and for modifying textures. So it's a skill that is worth gradually learning anyway.

Reactions: Liphisbus

Feb 3, 2020
Question about G8F/G8.1F face. I am trying to do mild slack jaw expressions by using only the open lower jaw slider. In real human face simply moving the lower jaw should not reveal much teeth. In Daz G8F/G8.1F the slider shows too much upper teeth for every character as if the upper lip were flaring/pucker up, but not realistically because the mouth/cheek muscles are not moving with the slider. I also don't want the lips flaring because I just want a simple slack jaw expression like someone who is very dazed or medicated. In those expressions a mild slack jaw should reveal no teeth at all and at medium stretngth should only show a bit of lower teeth. I get that Daz face rig has much to be desired for expressions but I am wondering how to do this properly, or I am using the wrong slider.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24507

Well-Known Member Amateur Artist 3D
Donor
May 5, 2017
another doubt that appeared here now!

I was doing a scene with two characters, namely:
a naked man and a woman with complete lingerie, where the file size was 44.3 Mb, this file was almost 15 minutes and still gave an error as DAZ was not responding!

yet another scene inside a room of the house, but with the whole house in the same file with a naked man and a woman with full clothes, the file size was 3.18 Mb and this file opens quickly!

what makes the file so heavy?

2.jpg

o_O (n) :rolleyes: :( :mad:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
another doubt that appeared here now!

I was doing a scene with two characters, namely:
a naked man and a woman with complete lingerie, where the file size was 44.3 Mb, this file was almost 15 minutes and still gave an error as DAZ was not responding!

yet another scene inside a room of the house, but with the whole house in the same file with a naked man and a woman with full clothes, the file size was 3.18 Mb and this file opens quickly!

what makes the file so heavy?

View attachment 1437494

o_O (n) :rolleyes: :( :mad:
What are you trying to do that's causing the 'Not responding' screen to show up, exactly? It looks like you're loading an asset here, trying loading another similar prop in and see if you still get the same issues from them to see if you can eliminate the asset itself being the problem.

I've had this same problem with stuff like Inked that cause Daz to take forever to open or cause everything to slow down. Could also be a hardware problem, but hard to say without know your specs.

Deleted member 24507

Well-Known Member Amateur Artist 3D
Donor
May 5, 2017
What are you trying to do that's causing the 'Not responding' screen to show up, exactly? It looks like you're loading an asset here, trying loading another similar prop in and see if you still get the same issues from them to see if you can eliminate the asset itself being the problem.

I've had this same problem with stuff like Inked that cause Daz to take forever to open or cause everything to slow down. Could also be a hardware problem, but hard to say without know your specs.
MissFortune can help me?

in fact in this photo I had already opened a common scene from the file that I said had 3 Mb, and then I was doing the MERGE of another scene to see if the same problem happened! Same problem as when I try to open the heavy file!

taking forever to open!

my PC is an i5-7400 3.0Ghz
HD - SSD PLUS 480Gb
16Gb RAM
HD common - 1 Tera
NVIDIA GeForce GTX1060 - 6GB

Last edited:

Feb 3, 2020
Can someone explain skin tone and translucency weight to me like I am an idiot?

After reading a ton of posts and tutorials I get that by changing translucency color to white and lowering translucency weight a render can lighten the skin of a character. To get very pale skin I need to lower translucency weight by a lot. However, with less light passing through how do I achieve the alabaster skin effect where the skins should give the appearance of being more translucent?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Can someone explain skin tone and translucency weight to me like I am an idiot?

After reading a ton of posts and tutorials I get that by changing translucency color to white and lowering translucency weight a render can lighten the skin of a character. To get very pale skin I need to lower translucency weight by a lot. However, with less light passing through how do I achieve the alabaster skin effect where the skins should give the appearance of being more translucent?
You don't adjust skin tone with translucency weight, especially lowering with large amount.

Translucency weight = Amount of light you allow to 'enter' the volume. It's a volumetric effect. De facto, it makes your volume no more a simple 'sandwich' of surface layers, but a 'sandwich' that is now pierce back and forth by light. That's also why it's instense effect to render.

The amount of light you allow to enter will be the pillar of your sub-scattering surface (SSS). To achieve credible and correct (by correct I mean working in any type of light intensity) skin SSS with Iray, you will need large amount a light to enter (something in the ~.75/~.90 range). Believe me or not, everything else is subpar.

Translucency color = This is the layer where skin tone change and adjustement can happen.
With large amount a light now entering your volume, the map you slot in translucency color (let's call it SSS_map) is now your "main" map for skin tone adjustement and calculated like this : SSS_Map*Translucency_color

DAZStudio_6XB6btVM4A.png

From there you got 2 roads :

Oudated one, you can see it while loading basic g8f model. SSS_map is a greyscale map with a plain red translucency_color. It's, yeah, no need to talk much about it.

More likely you want to slot as a SSS_map, either your diffuse map (the one you use in Base color), or a brighter version of it, with pure white as translucency_color (1,1,1).

Here a skin that use the diffuse map as a SSS_map :

DAZStudio_DhJk6QB8ak.png

Let's say I want it more pale. Open your map in whatever your software of choice is, push for 33% more brigthness and save it as an exemple. [You can also remove the limit on Translucency color and push for (1.33/1.33/1.33), but it's not recommended]

DAZStudio_33333.png

Now let's say I find the skin too red-ish in my taste. As translucency color act as a multiplayer, if I put (.90/1/1) in translucency color (those are RGB value) for exemple, I reduce red by 10%.

DAZStudio_red.png

Those are basics skin tone control.

Of course you can push a step further and edit hue/saturation/luminance or even sharpen thing a tad bit in your favorite software instead of just a simple brightness push.

Last edited:

Feb 3, 2020
You don't adjust skin tone with translucency weight, especially lowering with large amount.

Translucency weight = Amount of light you allow to 'enter' the volume. It's a volumetric effect. De facto, it makes your volume no more a simple 'sandwich' of surface layers, but a 'sandwich' that is now pierce back and forth by light. That's also why it's instense effect to render.

The amount of light you allow to enter will be the pillar of your sub-scattering surface (SSS). To achieve credible and correct (by correct I mean working in any type of light intensity) skin SSS with Iray, you will need large amount a light to enter (something in the ~.75/~.90 range). Believe me or not, everything else is subpar.

Translucency color = This is the layer where skin tone change and adjustement can happen.
With large amount a light now entering your volume, the map you slot in translucency color (let's call it SSS_map) is now your "main" map for skin tone adjustement and calculated like this : SSS_Map*Translucency_color

View attachment 1447421

From there you got 2 roads :

Oudated one, you can see it while loading basic g8f model. SSS_map is a greyscale map with a plain red translucency_color. It's, yeah, no need to talk much about it.

More likely you want to slot as a SSS_map, either your diffuse map (the one you use in Base color), or a brighter version of it, with pure white as translucency_color (1,1,1).

Here a skin that use the diffuse map as a SSS_map :

View attachment 1447425

Let's say I want it more pale. Open your map in whatever your software of choice is, push for 33% more brigthness and save it as an exemple. [You can also remove the limit on Translucency color and push for (1.33/1.33/1.33), but it's not recommended]

View attachment 1447441

Now let's say I find the skin too red-ish in my taste. As translucency color act as a multiplayer, if I put (.90/1/1) in translucency color (those are RGB value) for exemple, I reduce red by 10%.

View attachment 1447457

Those are basics skin tone control.

Of course you can push a step further and edit hue/saturation/luminance or even sharpen thing a tad bit in your favorite software instead of just a simple brightness push.
Thank you so much. This actually make sense than the many, many tutorials or products of how to make pale skins. So, again treat me like an idiot:
1. How far can one push brightness in SSS map for paleness (which I have no idea should go into the translucency color slot) in photo editing without screwing things up?
2. So I am assuming everything is based off the diffuse map? Is there a GIMP tutorial where I can learn to make simple edits such as making a commercial character's skins more alabaster like without screwing up the original?
3. I see some renders where there are lights passing through the skin such as the hands and ears in the promo of V8, what is the correct way to achieve that effect? I want to achieve a kinda translucent very pale skin but still retain the details.

Reactions: osanaiko

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Thank you so much. This actually make sense than the many, many tutorials or products of how to make pale skins. So, again treat me like an idiot:
1. How far can one push brightness in SSS map for paleness (which I have no idea should go into the translucency color slot) in photo editing without screwing things up?
2. So I am assuming everything is based off the diffuse map? Is there a GIMP tutorial where I can learn to make simple edits such as making a commercial character's skins more alabaster like without screwing up the original?
3. I see some renders where there are lights passing through the skin such as the hands and ears in the promo of V8, what is the correct way to achieve that effect? I want to achieve a kinda translucent very pale skin but still retain the details.

You're welcome o/

1. It's hard to answer, at some point it will break as it's not human like anymore, you have to trust you eyes. Try to work with some kind of reference, it can help. Brightness has some obvious part to play to 'palish' a skin but don't dissmiss imo hue/saturation/luminance, curves levels and so on as leverage too. Quality of the maps you choose to edit too.

2. When I deal with skin tones (likely to make 2 skins tone match each other), I make a backup folders of the maps and load both models in Daz (Iray preview). In Lightroom I put my target on the left, the skin I edit on the right. Start editing -> export/overwrite when I'm happy -> Ctrl+i in Daz (refresh image) -> If no good back to Lightroom/rework/undo, if good copy/paste preset to other body parts.

3. The correct way to achieve that is a fonctional SSS imo. The red tint you see is the transmitted color (like the red "noise line" in my pics), it's another layer in the SSS chain that comes after the translucency weight/color. It's the color that light get entering into the volume at an explicit distance (Transmitted Measurement Distance).

And I don't treat anyone like an idiot, god knows how much skins I broke lmao :HideThePain:.

Feb 3, 2020
You're welcome o/

1. It's hard to answer, at some point it will break as it's not human like anymore, you have to trust you eyes. Try to work with some kind of reference, it can help. Brightness has some obvious part to play to 'palish' a skin but don't dissmiss imo hue/saturation/luminance, curves levels and so on as leverage too. Quality of the maps you choose to edit too.

2. When I deal with skin tones (likely to make 2 skins tone match each other), I make a backup folders of the maps and load both models in Daz (Iray preview). In Lightroom I put my target on the left, the skin I edit on the right. Start editing -> export/overwrite when I'm happy -> Ctrl+i in Daz (refresh image) -> If no good back to Lightroom/rework/undo, if good copy/paste preset to other body parts.

3. The correct way to achieve that is a fonctional SSS imo. The red tint you see is the transmitted color (like the red "noise line" in my pics), it's another layer in the SSS chain that comes after the translucency weight/color. It's the color that light get entering into the volume at an explicit distance (Transmitted Measurement Distance).

And I don't treat anyone like an idiot, god knows how much skins I broke lmao :HideThePain:.
Thanks, I will experiment in Gimp.

The reason I asked to treat me as an idiot is that on Daz3D forum threads on skins tend to be debates of technical jargon that the basic inquirer has no idea of what's going on.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote