3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Scapest

Jul 8, 2017
Is there a way to identify the material that i'm using at the moment? like the way you can see the parameters "Currently Used".

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Is there a way to identify the material that i'm using at the moment? like the way you can see the parameters "Currently Used".
The short answer is: no, not really.

"Materials" are a combination of both shaders and pre-sets for all the different shader parameters. Many of them use the standard "Iray Uber" Shader, but there are some which use a different, customised shader. (think of a "shader" as like one of the "cycles node graph" configs in Blender, if that helps).

So, when you are saving a scene, which contains objects, which have surfaces, which each have a shader+parameters, ... the actual param settings are saved in the file. It is not saving a reference to the material. This means that it is not easy to identify which specific material was used.

Sometimes a surface will have "tags" in the General params section that could be matched to the source material.
Sometimes you can look at the Diffuse Color image and work out which material it came from (for example, looking at the image file path can lead you to the name of the vendor).

If you are creating new scenes, and selecting non-standard materials for some object surfaces, then it's a good idea to make notes of what you did.

Actually, in general, keeping notes of how to recreate a character from a new file is a good idea - sometimes you can lose or overwrite stuff by accident.

Reactions: Scapest

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
Not sure if I should be asking this here but as I don't really know where to ask this I'm going to ask here anyways...

Soo, I was thinking of making a game but first I would like to make a comic and see how things go, but the thing that got me thinking a LOT is: Can I make a comic with daz assets that I didn't buy and sell it (the comic)? I did see some answer of people saying that it's okay if you make a free game and try to get support in patreon and things like that but what about paid games-comics? I know that the answer might be pretty obvious but I want to make sure, I was actually thinking of downloading some "O.K" commercial use props that are available in sites like ShareCG, Sketchfab, CGTrader and many other sites and port them to daz, fix their textures and everything but as I said, I'm not sure if it's okay or not to use daz assets that I don't own and make a comic out of it, and even sell it on top of that, would be just fantastic if someone could answer my little dumb question :giggle:

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Not sure if I should be asking this here but as I don't really know where to ask this I'm going to ask here anyways...

Soo, I was thinking of making a game but first I would like to make a comic and see how things go, but the thing that got me thinking a LOT is: Can I make a comic with daz assets that I didn't buy and sell it (the comic)? I did see some answer of people saying that it's okay if you make a free game and try to get support in patreon and things like that but what about paid games-comics? I know that the answer might be pretty obvious but I want to make sure, I was actually thinking of downloading some "O.K" commercial use props that are available in sites like ShareCG, Sketchfab, CGTrader and many other sites and port them to daz, fix their textures and everything but as I said, I'm not sure if it's okay or not to use daz assets that I don't own and make a comic out of it, and even sell it on top of that, would be just fantastic if someone could answer my little dumb question :giggle:
You obviously already know the answer.

The daz license (EULA) is very permissive and allow you to do what you want with your renders.
But if you have a pirated asset and do not own the license, you have absolutely no right. Not even to use the asset for fun at home, or in freely distributed renders.
The fines for software piracy can be very high ($100k+), though it is very unlikely that you will be pursued for personal use or free renders.
If you make any money out of a pirated asset (even in patreon), the problem is different as you are clearly despoiling the artists work and you can be prosecuted. The probability is not very high, but it is up to you to determine if you want to take the risk and if making money out of another person work fits your personal ethic.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: AnchovyFuta

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
You obviously already know the answer.

The daz license (EULA) is very permissive and allow you to do what you want with your renders.
But if you have a pirated asset and do not own the license, you have absolutely no right. Not even to use the asset for fun at home, or in freely distributed renders.
The fines for software piracy can be very high ($100k+), though it is very unlikely that you will be pursued for personal use or free renders.
If you make any money out of a pirated asset (even in patreon), the problem is different as you are clearly despoiling the artists work and you can be prosecuted. The probability is not very high, but it is up to you to determine if you want to take the risk and if making money out of another person work fits your personal ethic.
Thank you for answering! So my best bet would be to look around for assets that are ok for commercial use right? My only real problem would be about furniture, I already have a environment that is ok for commercial renders but the place has almost no furniture at all in it so I was thinking of using some furniture of some paid assets (that I of course didn't buy) but then there is the problem that I didn't buy any of these assets, I was thinking of using furniture of games like the sims 4 but I'm pretty sure I can't use those in a paid comic...

amster22

Nov 13, 2019
Thank you for answering! So my best bet would be to look around for assets that are ok for commercial use right? My only real problem would be about furniture, I already have a environment that is ok for commercial renders but the place has almost no furniture at all in it so I was thinking of using some furniture of some paid assets (that I of course didn't buy) but then there is the problem that I didn't buy any of these assets, I was thinking of using furniture of games like the sims 4 but I'm pretty sure I can't use those in a paid comic...
Furniture is probably the easiest thing to find in freebies. They are easy to design, generally do not need rigging, do not depend on a specific character format and you can find many assets for many programs.

For daz, have a look at
rendo
sharecg

But a very good source of this kind of freebies are the commercial sites like
cgtraders
turbosquid
renderhub
and so on
Most do not have (many) daz items, but for a table or chair, it is not really important. You can just import the obj (the only difficulty is to get the proper scaling) or use fbx or another format (more or less) supported by daz.

Also, there are many free items for blender (which is also free) and there are many ways to transfer an asset from blender to daz.

And have a look at the f95 freebie thread for more sites
https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
Furniture is probably the easiest thing to find in freebies. They are easy to design, generally do not need rigging, do not depend on a specific character format and you can find many assets for many programs.

For daz, have a look at
rendo
sharecg

But a very good source of this kind of freebies are the commercial sites like
cgtraders
turbosquid
renderhub
and so on
Most do not have (many) daz items, but for a table or chair, it is not really important. You can just import the obj (the only difficulty is to get the proper scaling) or use fbx or another format (more or less) supported by daz.

Also, there are many free items for blender (which is also free) and there are many ways to transfer an asset from blender to daz.

And have a look at the f95 freebie thread for more sites
https://f95zone.to/threads/free-stuff-for-daz-3d.22194/
Yeah, I was already looking at shareCG, and for my surprise I already found half of what I need from there, though most of the furniture are really old and for 3Delight but that's not going to be a problem as I just need to convert it using Uber Iray Shader and correct the surfaces, but I will look into other sites to see if I can find something more high-quality.

I already know renderosity but I was thinking that they only had clothes but it seems it's not the case, I might take a look in there after I'm done with ShareCG, the CGTraders, TurboSquid & RenderHud I already knew but I didn't really think they had a lot of good stuff but I will take a look at them as well, yeah I always have problems with scaling the OBJs, most of the time I just load a daz asset that they sell and try to scale it the same as the asset, I didn't know about that Blender Models site as I always just look for daz stuff or 3D stuff, I will take a look at them as well, thanks!

Another site that I'm also looking is Sketchfab, they have quite a lot of good stuff in there, I didn't donwload a lot of objects in there but most of that I downloaded came with a lot of Maps, such as Metallic Maps, Roughness and of course Normal Maps and that's pretty good (I guess? xD).

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help, really appreciate it! :D

Apr 18, 2021
Yeah, I was already looking at shareCG, and for my surprise I already found half of what I need from there, though most of the furniture are really old and for 3Delight but that's not going to be a problem as I just need to convert it using Uber Iray Shader and correct the surfaces, but I will look into other sites to see if I can find something more high-quality.

I already know renderosity but I was thinking that they only had clothes but it seems it's not the case, I might take a look in there after I'm done with ShareCG, the CGTraders, TurboSquid & RenderHud I already knew but I didn't really think they had a lot of good stuff but I will take a look at them as well, yeah I always have problems with scaling the OBJs, most of the time I just load a daz asset that they sell and try to scale it the same as the asset, I didn't know about that Blender Models site as I always just look for daz stuff or 3D stuff, I will take a look at them as well, thanks!

Another site that I'm also looking is Sketchfab, they have quite a lot of good stuff in there, I didn't donwload a lot of objects in there but most of that I downloaded came with a lot of Maps, such as Metallic Maps, Roughness and of course Normal Maps and that's pretty good (I guess? xD).

Those are good sites. It's fairly easy with some work to load them into Blender and convert for DAZ so you can at least get models working. I've been able to find so many cars and appliances for free on Sketchfab, Turbosquid etc.

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020

Nice to see that you got an answer, I also had this problem some months ago and a friend of mine helped me out with that, might as well tell you what I know and what he told me.

So, first thing would be to use old content and when I say that I mean old content that sell in the daz store, most people don't really care about them most of the time so you can use clothes (I'm pretty sure you can convert genesis 1 and even genesis 2 clothing to genesis 8, that also applies to genesis 3) and possibly retexture them with shaders or you can even use props and environments, there are some pretty unique old props-environments in the daz store, of course I would recommend you to buy those old prop-environments as they are pretty cheap, I have seen a pretty good environment being sold for like $5 I think? Something like that.

Another thing that you could do is use old non-commercial use props-clothing and etc, of course you would be an asshole if you really did that but if you really really REALLY need "that" item you can also do that, of course always make sure that the one that did it is not active anymore, a good example would be this , as you can see it's for non-commercial use and the author is not really that active, my friend used this little prop a lot in some of his render on patreon and he didn't have any problems with it.

You also could use some props that are available in the , I see a TON of people using props from there like TVs, Consoles and shit like that in their patreon, and as you know, if you post render in your patreon, it's the same as using it in commercial use and most of them don't have a problem, but I'm not so sure if you can use them outside of SFM, I'm pretty sure you can as I have see some people use it, oh yeah, you can install a plugin for blender that let's you import SFM items to Blender, so that you can send it to Daz Studio as a OBJ, you can find a little tutorial .

Welp, I guess that's it, I hope I helped somehow, also, everything that I said is not guaranteed, I'm just saying that my friend, me and some people that I know got away by doing that. I also highly recommend you to buy some old assets, as I said, there are some pretty good environments that are sold in the daz store that are super cheap, you just need to mess around with the texture and apply some lighting and everything will look as good as some new environments that tell sell for like $30 or more in the daz store, of course if you can't buy it right now I kind of understand, I'm from Brazil and if I want to buy something from the daz store I need to get a internacional bank card and it's been a little of a pain in the ass to get it and even if I get it I will not be able to buy anything as most of the shit that they sell are pretty expensive.

Anyways, I wish you good luck with your comic and your future game as I'm also planning on releasing a comic myself. :)

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
Now that I think about it, I see that there are some environments that are not sold anymore in daz3d and anywhere else, are those ok to use or are they still protected by daz license?

Scapest

Jul 8, 2017
EDIT(I managed to solve it, just scaled the hair -1.5%, I think it was just faces overlaping)
Ok guys, I already saw this problem once, but I don't how to describe, so I don't know how to search the answer, this black marks caused by the hair. What can I do to solve?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece
Apr 18, 2021
EDIT(I managed to solve it, just scaled the hair -1.5%, I think it was just faces overlaping)
Ok guys, I already saw this problem once, but I don't how to describe, so I don't know how to search the answer, this black marks caused by the hair. What can I do to solve?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
This is one of those bugs, along with the black eye bug that makes you wonder why Daz hasn't fixed it yet. :-\

Reactions: Scapest

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
No one is going to question or ask to see your receipts or licenses on your final product. The only exception is with "trademarked" logos and "copywritten" music.
Hmm, sorry I don't understand, do you mean that no one going to ask if I buyed this or that product unless there's a "trademarked" logo or "copywritten" music? When you say that you mean that I can't use marks from famous company's or something like that? Sorry my english is kinda bad so I didn't understand what you mean xD

Apr 18, 2021
Hmm, sorry I don't understand, do you mean that no one going to ask if I buyed this or that product unless there's a "trademarked" logo or "copywritten" music? When you say that you mean that I can't use marks from famous company's or something like that? Sorry my english is kinda bad so I didn't understand what you mean xD
No one is enforcing software licensing unless you're a reseller.
On the other hand if you tried selling a visual novel on Steam with Tifa Lockheart drinking Coca-Cola you could potentially get sued by Square or Coke.

AnchovyFuta

Jun 25, 2021
On the other hand if you tried selling a visual novel on Steam with Tifa Lockheart drinking Coca-Cola you could potentially get sued by Square or Coke.
Thanks! But would that also apply to comics? Let's say that I do a 18+ comic of Lady Dimitrescu and sell it, would I be sued by Capcom for that or anything like that?

Reactions: Liphisbus

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
Yeah, it would be strange if the one that created that item or that environment came to me and asked if I buyed or not but you always need to be careful, normally I use props that they sell on daz3d like food, shaders, smart props like earrings or things like that but hairs, clothing and environments are always risk, it's okay if you use it in renders for patreon and things like that but I always feel uncomfortable using them on comics and games, just think it's very risk to use it. Also, you can totally make a bootleg name for these brands, I had seen a lot of devs changing the name of let's say, snickers to snipers or some shit like that, and it seems to always work so I guess you can do that?

Thanks! But would that also apply to comics? Let's say that I do a 18+ comic of Lady Dimitrescu and sell it, would I be sued by Capcom for that or anything like that?
I doubt it. I don't think Capcom would worry about something like that (Only nintendo does that) but if you feel insecure of telling her name you could do just like I said, try changing the name of characters or brands to something else, like, call Lady Dimitrescu big lady or something like that and it will be fine.

• Red Heart

acusrola

May 30, 2020
Is there a way to favorite an item in the content library? I don't see a real option to do it, but is it possible to use a dedicated folder or something similar maybe?

Does anyone have any personal practices or something to share? I know I can save items to a personal library - and I have done it to some items that I have done custom textures to. But I would prefer to not bloat my HDD with copies of items and rather have shortcuts or something similar to that.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Is there a way to favorite an item in the content library? I don't see a real option to do it, but is it possible to use a dedicated folder or something similar maybe?

Does anyone have any personal practices or something to share? I know I can save items to a personal library - and I have done it to some items that I have done custom textures to. But I would prefer to not bloat my HDD with copies of items and rather have shortcuts or something similar to that.
I use Categories :
Right click on a folder on your content library -> Create a Categories from -> Selected folder and subfolders
Once on the "Select a parent categories", either create a new folder (create category path) or put a previously made folder.
(And no, don't delete "default" one)
Your shortcuts are in "Categories" here :

DAZStudio_wcr8JYUD2b.png

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote