3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

DyingStar87

Sep 25, 2022
Hello everyone, I've been trying to Port an Ellie (from TLOU2) Model from Sfm to Blender using SourceIO for a while now, there's just a problem, the pubic hair from the model looks like this when ported, any tips or help on how to fix this?
Did you change "Blend Mode" in shader to Alpha Cutout or Alpha Blend? You also need to connect transparency to the alpha channel input in the shader.

DerKER

Jul 14, 2017
Did you change "Blend Mode" in shader to Alpha Cutout or Alpha Blend? You also need to connect transparency to the alpha channel input in the shader.
Basically these are all the nodes that appear when you import it, alpha blend selected by default and if you dont put the Alpha [basemap...] up to 0.5 it is completely invisible, should I add another node or can I connect something from here and try to fix it?
I just have basic knowledge of blender.

1664937840906.png

Last edited:

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
A question for Daz Studio . is it possible to change the names of morphs? I have some installed that have names that are not too helpful; I want to rename them to something more descriptive.

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
A question for Daz Studio . is it possible to change the names of morphs? I have some installed that have names that are not too helpful; I want to rename them to something more descriptive.
As far as I understand it: technically yes, generally no. You can rename morphs, but anything that uses the morphs will break.

First, an alternative to consider is to change how the morphs are grouped in the parameters pane. If putting them in their own submenu would help keep track, . (There used to be to help you do this in bulk, but it seems to be gone now.)

If you really want to rename morphs: if you're talking about morphs from a standalone morph pack, you could rename those, since normally nothing else built-in is using them. But anything that is using them--like your existing scenes and characters--would break! Similarly, you can't rename the morphs built into characters and clothing, since those would break. (Daz references the morphs internally by name, and so if you change the name, it can no longer find the matching morph.)

If you still want to rename them, I don't know if there's a way to do it internally to Daz Studio, the only way I know is: (1) use the batch converter (it's a pane in Windows -> Panes) to uncompress the .dsf file corresponding to the morph; open the .dsf file in a text editor and replace the old name with the new name in around 5 different places (multiple fields like "id", "name", "label", and "url").

(It may be possible to change the displayed name w/o changing the internal reference name, It didn't seem possible in my quick testing, but there are a lot of combinations of the 5 fields to change or not change.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Precox

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Basically these are all the nodes that appear when you import it, alpha blend selected by default and if you dont put the Alpha [basemap...] up to 0.5 it is completely invisible, should I add another node or can I connect something from here and try to fix it?
I just have basic knowledge of blender.
Alpha is set to 0.525?

Those are custom shader nodes and I have no idea what they're doing. Delete them and replace them with a diffuse node and a transparent node joined by a mix node. Plug the texture's color into the diffuse and use the alpha as the factor for the mix node.

DerKER

Jul 14, 2017
Yeah thats what im telling you if you dont keep the Alpha over 0.5 the model is completely invisible
this is how i port it

I think im starting to understand how this works, we have some progress, it looks like hair now
1665019187533.png

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Yeah thats what im telling you if you dont keep the Alpha over 0.5 the model is completely invisible
this is how i port it

I think im starting to understand how this works, we have some progress, it looks like hair now
Don't plug anything into the Transparent BSDF color. That should stay white. And you can probably get rid of the second node group too.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: DerKER

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
As far as I understand it: technically yes, generally no. You can rename morphs, but anything that uses the morphs will break.

First, an alternative to consider is to change how the morphs are grouped in the parameters pane. If putting them in their own submenu would help keep track, . (There used to be to help you do this in bulk, but it seems to be gone now.)

If you really want to rename morphs: if you're talking about morphs from a standalone morph pack, you could rename those, since normally nothing else built-in is using them. But anything that is using them--like your existing scenes and characters--would break! Similarly, you can't rename the morphs built into characters and clothing, since those would break. (Daz references the morphs internally by name, and so if you change the name, it can no longer find the matching morph.)

If you still want to rename them, I don't know if there's a way to do it internally to Daz Studio, the only way I know is: (1) use the batch converter (it's a pane in Windows -> Panes) to uncompress the .dsf file corresponding to the morph; open the .dsf file in a text editor and replace the old name with the new name in around 5 different places (multiple fields like "id", "name", "label", and "url").

(It may be possible to change the displayed name w/o changing the internal reference name, It didn't seem possible in my quick testing, but there are a lot of combinations of the 5 fields to change or not change.)
Okay thank you that's very helpful. So would I have to change a morphs name before I would use it on a figure then?

DerKER

Jul 14, 2017
Don't plug anything into the Transparent BSDF color. That should stay white. And you can probably get rid of the second node group too.
That was it, thanks so much! After like a year of trying I finally know how to fix this model.
idk if the green tint is normal but ill come back to you if when applied to the full model it looks weird (nevermind i fixed this a minute later after posting this lol)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

glassware

Oct 6, 2020
Okay thank you that's very helpful. So would I have to change a morphs name before I would use it on a figure then?
If you change the morph name in the morph dsf file, then it will automatically show up as the new name in daz studio, but any existing uses of the morph will break.

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
If you change the morph name in the morph dsf file, then it will automatically show up as the new name in daz studio, but any existing uses of the morph will break.
Thank you for your help!

On another topic I am seeking some info about a type of asset called a "second skin". These used to be used a lot for Poser items to, as I understand it, "paint" clothes onto a figure. A lot of these are for the famous Victoria 4.

I have two questions about them.
1) Can they be used in Daz Studio?
2) Can they be up-cycled to a later Victoria generation?

An example for one of these is here:

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Thank you for your help!

On another topic I am seeking some info about a type of asset called a "second skin". These used to be used a lot for Poser items to, as I understand it, "paint" clothes onto a figure. A lot of these are for the famous Victoria 4.

I have two questions about them.
1) Can they be used in Daz Studio?
2) Can they be up-cycled to a later Victoria generation?

An example for one of these is here:

Looks to me like these Second Skins are just Geoshells. In theory you should be able to use the Poser product in Daz, but good luck trying to get it to work with newer generations of models. Can't see how that would be worth it.

There are already multiple options of Cammy outfits for G8:

https://f95zone.to/threads/sf-cammy-outfit-for-genesis-8-female.77285/
https://f95zone.to/threads/sf-cammy-for-g8f.122717/
https://f95zone.to/threads/cammy-suit-and-3d-cosplay-for-genesis-3-female.94095/

Precox

Mar 13, 2019
Looks to me like these Second Skins are just Geoshells. In theory you should be able to use the Poser product in Daz, but good luck trying to get it to work with newer generations of models. Can't see how that would be worth it.

There are already multiple options of Cammy outfits for G8:

https://f95zone.to/threads/sf-cammy-outfit-for-genesis-8-female.77285/
https://f95zone.to/threads/sf-cammy-for-g8f.122717/
https://f95zone.to/threads/cammy-suit-and-3d-cosplay-for-genesis-3-female.94095/
Thanks for replying

I put the Cammy style outfit as an example cause it was the one I remember being on Render State. The artist Darkworld has lots of these second skin assets that have caught my eye. I am just curious if they have much utility outside of Poser.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks for replying

I put the Cammy style outfit as an example cause it was the one I remember being on Render State. The artist Darkworld has lots of these second skin assets that have caught my eye. I am just curious if they have much utility outside of Poser.
Geoshells are very common in Daz. For instance, the vendor Hameleon has a whole range of clothing that are geoshells, and all genitals in Daz are actually geoshells as well.

lukin13

Apr 13, 2019
Okay. If you've played with drivers and currently have the newest one installed, what version of Daz do you have installed? Newest drivers = Newest version of Daz, usually.

So, the issue here is that it can be any number of things from your VRAM going bad (for lack of better word), to simply running out of VRAM, to overheating, or even bad drivers (a DDU + Clean Windows install might do the job.). It's really hard to say with the information you're giving. What do you mean by "not working"? Are you getting gray screen on Iray Previews and black screens on renders? Is Daz/Windows crashing? Do you have all three of the CPU fallback boxes unchecked?

Easiest way to solve this might be to try a render and upload the log file after the render doesn't happen. You can find that by going to Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File. Scroll all the way down, copy the bottom quarter or so of the log, and paste it here (preferably in a spoiler/quote so there isn't a massive list of text spamming the rest of the page.).
Apologies for the late reply, and thanks for taking the time to respond.

As it turns out the problems quickly got worse and I've been without a laptop for 3 weeks, but the motherboard is getting replaced under warranty next week. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the GPU (started with memory address errors, then quickly went downhill) but if they're happy to replace the entire motherboard I won't complain (and the GPU is soldered to the motherboard anyway so it might be easier for them to just replace the whole thing).

Looking forward to having it back up and running asap. I've been trying to use Daz on my old desktop with no dedicated GPU and it's painful. I just left a render going for 2 hours and when I got back to it, it was still only around 24%

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote