3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Hi!

I've a question about these skin-bumbs or whatever to call them. Is there any way to smooth those out?

1668537702452.png

Here's a close-up of what I mean, cause I don't know if the picture is showing it clearly or not:
1668537816509.png

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
The problem is that Daz Studio's torso surfaces are too big, so the bump/normal mapping looks stretched out and terrible due to the low texel quality. If you want to lessen the effect, find the height/bump/normal map sections of the skin surfaces and turn them down. As for making it look better, you can try and create a custom node network to tile a microdisplacement texture over the skin instead of the pre-packaged bump map, but with Daz's terrible shader mixer that's easier said than done.

Reactions: Yuuki4
Feb 22, 2021
Hi
I'm a total beginner with DAZ
So I downloaded this asset

So how do I use it, is there an installation process somewhere I can use to install them
Thanks

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
The problem is that Daz Studio's torso surfaces are too big, so the bump/normal mapping looks stretched out and terrible due to the low texel quality. If you want to lessen the effect, find the height/bump/normal map sections of the skin surfaces and turn them down. As for making it look better, you can try and create a custom node network to tile a microdisplacement texture over the skin instead of the pre-packaged bump map, but with Daz's terrible shader mixer that's easier said than done.
Thank you, that worked! I just adjusted the base bump slider on all the relevant surfaces, from 1.5-->0.7 which seemed to smooth it out well for me.

1668611257926.png

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea what these two does:
1668611548242.png

I genuinely tell a difference when I change them ...

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Do you (or anyone else) have any idea what these two does:
View attachment 2173608

I genuinely tell a difference when I change them ...
Top Coat is an extra glossy layer over the base material. It can have its own bump map. Like if you had lacquered wood, the glossy coat would have less bump than the wood underneath. The top coat bump should have a slot for a texture map, but I don't know why this one doesn't. Also you can choose to have a bump (also called height) map or a normal map, not both. So you need to choose one or the other.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
The missing slot is an old bug. I don't remember how it happens, but it happens. Scratch the surface & re-apply !Iray Uber Base, that should do the trick (rebuild from there).

Here's a close-up of what I mean, cause I don't know if the picture is showing it clearly or not:
1668537816509.png
It's mainly because it's a terrible bump map. You can tweak to an extend but you will run in circle. Don't hesitate to "borrow" maps form other better made skin (especially specular/roughness/bump ones). It can make a world difference.

Details of a 8k torso bump :

bump.jpg

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
The missing slot is an old bug. I don't remember how it happens, but it happens. Scratch the surface & re-apply !Iray Uber Base, that should do the trick (rebuild from there).
Yeah, that bug is weird! One fix that seem to work for me when that happens is to just apply another skin (like !Iray Uber Base) and then just undo that change. The application then has the arrow where it should be, but none of the alterations.

It's mainly because it's a terrible bump map. You can tweak to an extend but you will run in circle. Don't hesitate to "borrow" maps form other better made skin (especially specular/roughness/bump ones). It can make a world difference.

Details of a 8k torso bump :

View attachment 2176383
Thank you! I find it superhard to find good skins for daz, I've literally downloaded ~15-ish characters just hoping to hit a jack-pot. I've found one or maybe 2 skin-maps that I like, so if you know some that are great feel free to let me know!

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
I'm trying to make this scene look good:
1668958735124.png

My issue is that I like the way the shadows fall on her face, but I don't like the way it makes her eyes super-dark. If I light up her face some more, I get the eyes with the colour that I'm looking for but then instead everything else is kinda ruined:

1668958553253.png

Does anyone have any clever work-arounds for when the lighting doesn't quite work for you?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I'm trying to make this scene look good:
View attachment 2182188

My issue is that I like the way the shadows fall on her face, but I don't like the way it makes her eyes super-dark. If I light up her face some more, I get the eyes with the colour that I'm looking for but then instead everything else is kinda ruined:

View attachment 2182186

Does anyone have any clever work-arounds for when the lighting doesn't quite work for you?
Maybe try a 30x30 circle/rectangle spotlight at about 4000-6000 lumen (you'll have to play with the distance on your own, though.) pointed at her eyes?

The thing is, given the base angle/trajectory of the sunlight/light source, it's actually falling pretty naturally. This would be pretty close to how it'd look if this were happening in real life.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Thank you! I find it superhard to find good skins for daz, I've literally downloaded ~15-ish characters just hoping to hit a jack-pot. I've found one or maybe 2 skin-maps that I like, so if you know some that are great feel free to let me know!
It's quite the jungle lol. I may be not the best person to ask as I may be out of date. Skins that are made by "Daz orignals" (=outsourced by Daz to be sold in their shop in their name), have overall better quality control (not always the case, but more than not). A good shortlist of artists will be more handy than any promo shot imho.

For good details, it depends on witch foot you gonna dance. IrayUber will need fully baked bump/normal, PBRSkin use more likely 1k seamless tiles. Both works well. I may be wrong but since PBRSkin (8.1/9) are a bit less difficult to make, overall quality should be slightly higher.

For IrayUber:
Daz orignal/Victoria8
Daz orignal/Babina8
BlueJaunte/Ensley

For PBRSkin:
Daz orignal/Victoria8.1
Daz orignal/Victoria9 (?)

I think those are good balanced skins base/maps/shader setup regardless of the scult. Ensley might be close to what you can top with IrayUber overall. For Eyes/Mouth I generally go with Victoria8.1 PBRSkin setup whatever the skin uses. If I was maknig a VN prototype, more likely I will make "frankenstein" skin (swapping diffuse/SSS/Normal maps) and iterate from those bases.

DerKER

Jul 14, 2017
Hello everyone, i'm back once again with my Ellie model, this time i'm trying to fix the Hair

it looks like thisand it should look like this
1669092922749.png
1669093140915.png
1669093057931.png
1669093168622.png

And these are the modules of the pony tail one, the modules from the bun are exactly the same.
1669093320366.png

For what I understand the alpha seems to be part of the problem, when i move the slider to 0 it looks like the hair is gone (which I believe is normal), then it wont change until I move it to 200 and it looks like the hair is made of squares (as the image from the table shows) and if I move it anywhere beyond that it looks real bad.

Alpha at 0Alpha after 0.204 (the same as the first table)Alpha after 0.403Alpha after 0.602Alpha after 0.801
1669093371438.png 1669092922749.png 1669093680913.png 1669093694890.png 1669094003929.png

Last edited:

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
The transparency of her hair should be controlled by the alpha mask, but it doesn't look like it's working. Alpha defines which areas are opaque (1.0 or pure white) and which are seethrough (0.0 or pure black) but there's no alpha so you're just setting everything to either white or black, which is why the hair looks like squares.

I have no idea what that node group is doing, but it's probably too complicated.

You can try plugging the alpha mask into $alphatest, but honestly you'd be better off deleting those and using Blender native nodes (speaking from experience).

DerKER

Jul 14, 2017
Ehhh I think I got it by messing arround with the nodes of , should I delete the bumpmap or should I connect it to a property?

1669105772720.png 1669105993198.png

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Lol, you don't need to credit me. This is like, the very simplest texture setup imaginable.
Some things seem simple once you've been working with 3d long enough, that are terrifyingly opaque to a newcomer.

I think it's great that you've taken the time to help out, and also props to Derker for feeding back resolution and appreciation.

Also I think it's hilarious that a game piracy website has become the premiere internet forum for randoms helping each other build more lewd games.... this is peak civilization :chefs_kiss:

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote