3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Pr0GamerJohnny

Forum Fanatic
Sep 7, 2022
Okay, look, I'm not saying DAZ is perfect, because it isn't. I'm saying it's a good place to start if your outlook is "I wanna make a RenPy game!" because you can do a lot of the workflow for images inside DAZ without having to do a ton in other programs.

You can set the scene with props, set up a custom character (by mixing bodymorphs and surfaces from different characters), with a lot of different clothing-styles with basically infinite amount of shaders. You can do all that in DAZ, then set your lighting and camera angles and get decent pictures. I think it's a great starting point, but only if you're going for still images. If you want animated sequences I would try not to use daz, because animating stuff in daz is just pain. Don't do that to yourself.

Yeah, that's a clear drawback. There are solutions to that tho:
https://f95zone.to/threads/mesh-grabber-v3-0-1-0-win.42430/
paired with
https://f95zone.to/threads/mesh-grabber-rotations-add-on.52178/

Not perfect, but if you're making small adjustments meshgrabber works fine IMO. Should DAZ have that built in already? YES!

Honestly same, and I agree. DAZ works best with a large library of assets, but that's kinda their whole business-model. They WANT you to buy assets, just as they actually want people to make assets for DAZ. That said, what program doesn't work better with a large library of assets?

The posing issue is a newbie thing for you though. You can use a full body-pose and just use that pose on a models pinky if you want to. When you pick a random full-body pose select the bone you want to apply the pose to, and hold ctrl when you double-click the pose-preset. You get this window, where you pick the affected nodes and the propagation. Here I used "selected" + "recursive", which makes it so that everything parented to my selection ("Right Hand") takes on the property of the applied pose (use "selected" + "selected only" if you ONLY want the selected bone to move).

View attachment 2605352

That pose looks like this now,where it only moved the hand and nothing else:
View attachment 2605359

So if you have a pose with a nice arm-pose you like, you can pair that with another pose with a nice leg-pose you like or whatever.

I'm not gonna argue any of that, some of DAZ IS un-intuitive and annoying, but I find it's the same for most other programs. There's always something that's just dumb, or overly complicated lol.
Thanks very much for the advice and tips, any additional information is always welcome.

For what you were describing with poses, does that mean you export all your poses as full body poses regardless of if that's the intended use in future?

What I had been doing was exporting poses with the root selected, but then [check only modified] + [the transforms for the given part/limb]. This was time consuming because I'd need to manually select/deselect all the 'general' transform trees. I would do this for say a hand pose so it not only did my pose, but reverted any prior transforms to zero, and without this the limb's pose position was a function of its prior state.

Or perhaps in less confusing speak - I found it difficult because the "pose controls" sliders dont neccesarily correspond to actual "transform" value changes, so to be confident in a new pose taking correct shape you need to zero out past tranforms and apply the new pose.....but it sounds like with your way I can just check everything, export whole body, then during pose import choose what I want to apply it to, do I understand you correctly?

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Thanks very much for the advice and tips, any additional information is always welcome.

For what you were describing with poses, does that mean you export all your poses as full body poses regardless of if that's the intended use in future?

What I had been doing was exporting poses with the root selected, but then [check only modified] + [the transforms for the given part/limb]. This was time consuming because I'd need to manually select/deselect all the 'general' transform trees. I would do this for say a hand pose so it not only did my pose, but reverted any prior transforms to zero, and without this the limb's pose position was a function of its prior state.

Or perhaps in less confusing speak - I found it difficult because the "pose controls" sliders dont neccesarily correspond to actual "transform" value changes, so to be confident in a new pose taking correct shape you need to zero out past tranforms and apply the new pose.....but it sounds like with your way I can just check everything, export whole body, then during pose import choose what I want to apply it to, do I understand you correctly?
Well, first off I didn't realize you were talking about how to SAVE poses, but thought you were trying to just use specific parts of pose-assets, so you can mix them together. When you want to save your poses, you need to just turn off any of the BS (like random translations, or face expressions) that you don't want to save.

Yes, I basically save full-body poses whenever I save poses, because you never know what you need and it's really simple to use what you want. It's a bit involved trying to describing ALL the steps you wanna go through, lucky for you though there are youtube-guides for stuff like that! Pretty sure I've used this one when I was trying to figure out how to save custom poses:

He makes a couple mistakes as he does it, but he also shows you how to unfuck it so you get a saved pose that works without weird translational and/or rotational movement that you didn't want!

Here's also a guide basically showing how you can mix different poses together easily:

Reactions: Pr0GamerJohnny
Feb 10, 2021
Out of interest, does anyone making stuff involving leeewd things use maya? I was messing with it a while back but it's insanely complicated, at least for me.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
As far as I understand, Maya is $$$ and is more similar in concept and function to Blender than it is to Daz.

Daz is a poser + renderer tool that has a relatively easy way to use a LARGE asset collection, and it happens to have a few other 3d tools but nothing really very useful.

Blender is a powerful and complex tool but does not have an automatic asset pool. it's of course possible to pull stuff in but depending on the source you need to do stuff (rigging, texturing, etc) to make it work well.

Maya is a commercial "industry standard" everything tool, but like blender you need to do all the similar manual work to get imported assets working well.

Estreiher

Jan 16, 2020
Blender is a powerful and complex tool but does not have an automatic asset pool. it's of course possible to pull stuff in but depending on the source you need to do stuff (rigging, texturing, etc) to make it work well.
Blender is fun and is not restricted like DAZ is though as you've said DAZ is not a 3D modeling tool, it's just a posing one. There is a DAZ <-> Blender bridge which should make things easier though I haven't tested it yet.

Asdferman

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to import Golden Palace into UE5, attached it and fixed material without issue, but after using the daz-unreal bridge, the GP bones dissapear, and the GP itself is unselectable. Any Ideas on Solutions? 1683754429294.png

MℯlonLord

Oct 23, 2022
How do I parent gen 9 dicktator penis to G9F ? It's getting out of bound
Screenshot 2023-05-11 125429.png
Also wanted to ask if it's possible to use animations from G8 or G8.1 to G9
Also, what's the best genital for G9 female (for pose and animation wise) ?

Last edited:

crash3D

May 3, 2023
Hey ya'll! I've been working as a 3d modeler and animator for video games, toy production, and film off and on since 2003 (with side quests into sound design and video editing during and after college). I've been using Autodesk Maya and Zbrush for about 20 years. I LIKE Blender but I don't like to use it so I don't know the ins and outs of it I just respect what they do for the community and can use it if I have no other options to meet a deadline. If anyone has Maya or Zbrush questions I'd love to help!

(sculpt/3d print is Missy from Summertime Saga)

CrashMissy1.png
Missy3dPrintFront.JPG

Rokohn

Jan 26, 2018
Anyone knows how can I ''smooth'' those things? Maybe dealing with polygons or something. I have no idea how I did that but I really don't want to start my character from zero. I've tried to remove it,but if I do that I end up with a black hole instead.
PS: It only appears on Iray view, not on Texture Shaded.

Last edited:

crash3D

May 3, 2023
Anyone knows how can I ''smooth'' those things? Maybe dealing with polygons or something. I have no idea how I did that but I really don't want to start my character from zero. I've tried to remove it,but if I do that I end up with a black hole instead.
PS: It only appears on Iray view, not on Texture Shaded.

I don't know anything about DAZ but if it only shows up in a rendering view that implies it's painted into a depth/height map of some kind. If there's a DAZ window that let's you paint physical details into a texture that's where I'd start.

artistx

Aug 13, 2020
I installed DAZ on my C:drive (my OS drive) and I've been hoarding a lot of assets but now I'm running low on space.. is it possible to move my library to another drive while keeping all my assets intact? I installed stuff in a mix of using Install Manager and manually installing stuff..

crash3D

May 3, 2023
I installed DAZ on my C:drive (my OS drive) and I've been hoarding a lot of assets but now I'm running low on space.. is it possible to move my library to another drive while keeping all my assets intact? I installed stuff in a mix of using Install Manager and manually installing stuff..
If DAZ works like any other game dev program, you'll need to go into preferences/settings and re direct the project directory to the new folder.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
If DAZ works like any other game dev program,
Oh, if only.... what a wonderful world it would be...

artistx In answer to the original question:

1. Edit menu -> Preferences -> Content tab -> "Content directory manager" button
  2. Expand the tree of directories and then edit the folders which currently point to your "old" storage location, update to the new drive location. Accept and Close the Content Directory Manager modal.
  3. Copy all the content from old to new location.
  4. Refresh the content library window (right click on the tree root item and choose refresh).

• Red Heart
Reactions: crash3D and artistx

crash3D

May 3, 2023
Oh, if only.... what a wonderful world it would be...

artistx In answer to the original question:

1. Edit menu -> Preferences -> Content tab -> "Content directory manager" button
  2. Expand the tree of directories and then edit the folders which currently point to your "old" storage location, update to the new drive location. Accept and Close the Content Directory Manager modal.
  3. Copy all the content from old to new location.
  4. Refresh the content library window (right click on the tree root item and choose refresh).

Yes! That's exactly what I meant I just don't use DAZ. So in this instance it does in fact work similarly to other game development engines. Or even things like Steam where you point the software at your installation directories. Good stuff!

Yuuki4

Jun 30, 2018
Does anyone know of any good, realistic looking hairs? I keep finding myself using the same like 5 hair assets because they look more realistic.

I'm looking for hair that look like these:

https://f95zone.to/threads/ethel-hair-for-genesis-8-and-8-1-female.86588/
1684516066103.png
https://f95zone.to/threads/haydina-hair-for-genesis-8-female-s.34222/
1684516182519.png

And hairs that DOESN'T look like these, because the hair-strand details doesn't look good:
https://f95zone.to/threads/lynna-hair-for-genesis-8-female-s.48230/
1684516248921.png

1684516300633.png

Don't mind the hair-styles, just hit me with the most realistic looking hairs.

rohas83

Mar 29, 2019
Hi there, i find myself forced to ask for help to more experienced peoples cause i tried a lot, everything i could, every tip i found here and there but still can't fix this issue in Golden Palace genitalia. Depending on the pose, i always get these weird/awful bumps and shapes, like you can see in the attached picture. I tried bending morph/scripts as suggested in other posts, tried to mess around with all the sliders inside GP, literally everything, please help...

crash3D

May 3, 2023
Hi there, i find myself forced to ask for help to more experienced peoples cause i tried a lot, everything i could, every tip i found here and there but still can't fix this issue in Golden Palace genitalia. Depending on the pose, i always get these weird/awful bumps and shapes, like you can see in the attached picture. I tried bending morph/scripts as suggested in other posts, tried to mess around with all the sliders inside GP, literally everything, please help...

That looks like a weight painting issue, I'm not sure what program you're using but if you can tweak the bone weights that's how you'll smooth out the deformations.

Estreiher

Jan 16, 2020
That looks like a weight painting issue, I'm not sure what program you're using but if you can tweak the bone weights that's how you'll smooth out the deformations.
This UI is DAZ. So I'm afraid that the only option is to export to modeling software (Maya, Blender, etc) and do it there.

crash3D

May 3, 2023
This UI is DAZ. So I'm afraid that the only option is to export to modeling software (Maya, Blender, etc) and do it there.

Yeaaah that's what I thought. I'm not a fan of DAZ but I understand why people use it. I need more control. Been doing this 22 years, kinda set in my ways lol.

BUuuuut....MAYBE they can import the fbx into Akeytsu and smooth out the weights in there, it's free and pretty easy to use. Literally opens right into rigging/weight painting mode. Blender & Maya are impressive but it can be daunting to someone just wanting to do a single thing.

Reactions: Estreiher

Liphisbus

May 28, 2020
I remember this was the reason why I didn't want to use Golden Palace. It's a good gen but without the correction morphs in that area is pretty much unusable, unless you can fix it on Blender, it's actually easy to fix in blender though. New Gens for V8 has the correction morph that applies automatically around that area so take a look at it.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote