3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Can anyone help me set up my Daz for I get the best renders that I can get with the computer Im using. im on discord id jedihayles hash tag 9857
Learning the principles of rendering is not something you do between morning recess and afternooon nap time. It is complex and requires a certain amount of base knowledge. I would suggest you need to prove that you are capable of creating something, prior to an artist expending some time to improve your skills to create something impressive.

I know the above seems harsh, however it takes some commitment to produce something worthwhile.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Guys i need a little help with 3DS Max. Basically today i started messing around with 3ds max trying to make my first siple object and yet im here with the noobest question one could come up, how can i connect two vertex in a way i can form an edge?
000000000000000000000000000000000000libfsdbvfdsiu.png
I've already searched around for a tutorial, but the only thing i was able to find was on how to merge 2 vertex but i dont need this. Anyway i hope i posted this on the right thread.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Guys i need a little help with 3DS Max. Basically today i started messing around with 3ds max trying to make my first siple object and yet im here with the noobest question one could come up, how can i connect two vertex in a way i can form an edge?
View attachment 266089
I've already searched around for a tutorial, but the only thing i was able to find was on how to merge 2 vertex but i dont need this. Anyway i hope i posted this on the right thread.
I have never used 3DS max, but usually there is a "bake vertex", or "merge" button or something similiar in these programs. Hope that helps.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
I have never used 3DS max, but usually there is a "bake vertex", or "merge" button or something similiar in these programs. Hope that helps.
There is a merge button, but i dont need to merge i need to create an edge bnetween those two vertex, i wont just connect the two points.

EDIT: Never mind guys i found the solution of my problem the old hard way "Pressing random things untill you figure out what they are meant for" :ROFLMAO:.
Anyway i'll share my discoveries with you guys, so atleast if someone have my same issue, i can spare him a giant headache.

1 - Select the edges you want to connect
000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000mbsfib.png

2 - press the bridge button 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000mbsfibz.png

Reactions: recreation

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
There is a merge button, but i dont need to merge i need to create an edge bnetween those two vertex, i wont just connect the two points.
Ahh, yes I didn't see that at first. But there should usually also be a "connect vertex" somewhere.
If not, I know there is one in hexagon. You could export it and fix it there :)

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Ahh, yes I didn't see that at first. But there should usually also be a "connect vertex" somewhere.
If not, I know there is one in hexagon. You could export it and fix it there :)
Hey thx for your suggesstion mate, but i've already fixed the problem. Look at the previous post and you'll see man. Just one thing 3ds max UI is a bit confusing, too many thing with little to no explanation

Reactions: recreation

redle

Apr 12, 2017
Just one thing 3ds max UI is a bit confusing, too many thing with little to no explanation
Unfortunately that is par for the course with all things in life, not just software (let alone modeling software). Either a thing is set up for complete noobs and explains every little thing down to the smallest detail (and is really limited in scope of what it can do), or it is made for advanced users and explains virtually nothing at all. The first type can generally only do the most simple of tasks, and becomes useless for any advanced user and a huge pain to work with (as everything the user wants to do falls outside the scope of the 5 pre-programmed buttons). The second type can do highly advanced and complicated things and do most of it fairly quickly and easily, if one knows how to do it (unfortunately there are no easy stepping stones to jump directly to the "I'm an advanced user" landing zone).

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
Unfortunately that is par for the course with all things in life, not just software (let alone modeling software). Either a thing is set up for complete noobs and explains every little thing down to the smallest detail (and is really limited in scope of what it can do), or it is made for advanced users and explains virtually nothing at all. The first type can generally only do the most simple of tasks, and becomes useless for any advanced user and a huge pain to work with (as everything the user wants to do falls outside the scope of the 5 pre-programmed buttons). The second type can do highly advanced and complicated things and do most of it fairly quickly and easily, if one knows how to do it (unfortunately there are no easy stepping stones to jump directly to the "I'm an advanced user" landing zone).
Well i know what you mean bro, but keep in mind that this is the absolutely first time i approach 3ds max and in general a 3d modelling software. So i wasn't complaining about the software or asking for a shortcut on becoming an "advanced user". What i meant is that with the program being so complex and powerfull an overall view of things doesnt hurt, so atleast you have a little starting point where you can start your climb.
So in the end i agree with you when you say that is part of the course of life to discover things by yourself but is also true that sometimes you need someone that explain the things to you to be able to understand them. Just take as exemple how you learned how to read and write, i dont think you teached yourself on doing these things , but instead someone else helped you like your parents or school teachers.

redle

Apr 12, 2017
Well i know what you mean bro, but keep in mind that this is the absolutely first time i approach 3ds max and in general a 3d modelling software. So i wasn't complaining about the software or asking for a shortcut on becoming an "advanced user". What i meant is that with the program being so complex and powerfull an overall view of things doesnt hurt, so atleast you have a little starting point where you can start your climb.
So in the end i agree with you when you say that is part of the course of life to discover things by yourself but is also true that sometimes you need someone that explain the things to you to be able to understand them. Just take as exemple how you learned how to read and write, i dont think you teached yourself on doing these things , but instead someone else helped you like your parents or school teachers.
I wasn't disagreeing that it is an insanely daunting task. I was more trying to give a warning that it won't truthfully be getting easy for quite a while and be prepared to put in some time. It can be worth it.

I've messed around with blender from time to time and feel the same way you do. Truthfully I miss the old days where everything was in words. So many apps and software these days use only icons. While I may not know what any given word is going to do exactly, I can make some guesses based on knowing what the word means. I look at an icon and say... huh... is that a bottle of pills? a rocket ship? russian stacking dolls? Well, here's hoping it isn't a nuclear warhead icon and clicking it is going to make my tablet explode.

I do find that with 3d modeling youtube is your friend. That and google are ready to share tutorials for almost anything.

Reactions: Nomec104

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Got a question about making my own 3D environment. I thought I could combine to some pre-made rooms into an apartment but that isn't going to work because some rooms don't line up the way I want them to. So my question is two-fold:
  1. What software is best for making a 3D environment for Daz?
  2. Is there a way to get the measurements of the pre-built environments so that I can use these when creating my own 3D environment?
To give you some of idea of what I mean, this is the layout concept of my apartment idea which I was thinking of creating, but I would like to to know the length, height and width of the walls, windows and door frames in order to have these same dimensions in my apartment environment.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Got a question about making my own 3D environment. I thought I could combine to some pre-made rooms into an apartment but that isn't going to work because some rooms don't line up the way I want them to. So my question is two-fold:
  2. Is there a way to get the measurements of the pre-built environments so that I can use these when creating my own 3D environment?
To give you some of idea of what I mean, this is the layout concept of my apartment idea which I was thinking of creating, but I would like to to know the length, height and width of the walls, windows and door frames in order to have these same dimensions in my apartment environment.
Firstly I would recommend using Blender (Hexagon is awful) as the modelling tool if you are creating 3D surfaces. There are better commercial alternatives, however Blender is open source. If you really get into 3D modelling, then you may want to move on from Blender, however is a free program that will give you an idea whether creating a 3D asset is something you really want to do. The learning curve is also very steep with 3D modelling and it will take a significant investment of time before you can create what you want.

As far as using the pre-built environments, I suggest you focus on the surface textures and apply them to your own geometry. I would instead however not restrict myself to these textures as often they impose geometric constraints. A better option is to use an iRay Shader pack such as Architectural iRay Shader. The existing props can then be used primarily for furniture props.

As another note, the surface textures and furniture is more important than the wall geometry when creating an environment. For the VN I am working on, I have not used a 3D modelling package at all when creating my custom space freighter. All of the interior walls / doors / windows are 3D Daz primitives. It sounds kinda basic, however it is quite effective. Using cut-out opacity I can create door openings and windows as required.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
This one here is actually really easy: https://f95zone.to/threads/creating-custom-rooms-for-daz3d.27389/
Just ignore the conversations in the thread^^

Reactions: Xavster

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
@Xavster @recreation Both those ideas sound good and I'll give each of them a try.

@Xavster How do you cut out sections of primitives for those door frames and windows and do you just eyeball it when adjusting their dimensions or do you measure it up somehow?

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
@Xavster @recreation Both those ideas sound good and I'll give each of them a try.

@Xavster How do you cut out sections of primitives for those door frames and windows and do you just eyeball it when adjusting their dimensions or do you measure it up somehow?
There is a little bit of trial and error in the process, however maths can be your friend to get it close initially. If you know the dimensions of your wall, just start with a white opacity image equivalent dimensions. Hence if it is a 6m long wall x 2.5m high I would start with an image dimensions to 600 x 250. That way you can create a black rectangle 90 pixels wide and 200 pixels high which could be a standard doorway. Once in Daz you can also re position the opening using the vertical / horizontal offsets under cutout opacity.

Another tip on creating additional openings on existing assets is to have the texture image related to that asset on a layer underneath the cutout opacity you are creating. You make the cutout opacity the exact same dimensions and then remove sections as required, located by examining the texture in the background. I have included the example of the cutouts I did in the freighter as in the spoiler below. Once I have the openings I then place in the windows / glass by inverting the cutout opacity (black --> white) and applying to a geoshell of the original object.

As another tip regarding cutout opacity, you do not want to change the horizontal and vertical tiling to anything other than 1 or the position / size / quantity of your openings will change. This does not however mean that you can't tile the textures though. To do this you need to select each of the surface property images (eg base colour / normal map) with a left click --> select Image Editor --> make adjustments in Instance Tiling tab.

Also as another item of interest, you can apply all the techniques above to clothing as well. Want tears / lace / openings in say the back of a dress, they can all be done with Cutout Opacity.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
So I've started working on my apartment and was wondering if it's possible to make different sides of a primitive have different surfaces, i.e. for one side of a cube to be blue and the other side green?

ShiShi!

Nov 28, 2017
I just downloaded Daz Studio today in hope of learning how to pose and just downloaded a test model from the Asset Release section

I've put the contents of the asset (Runtime, character, data, etc) into DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library, tried loading it and it keeps saying

Invalid node selection for "preset_shape" type.
Error reading file, see log for more details.

Anyone knows what's wrong with it? I copied the first line into google and there were only 2 results that didn't help much.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
At a guess, if you download a model without having the stater pack you may get that error, what did you download?

In daz click on help up the top, hover over trouble shooting, and you can view the log file.

ShiShi!

Nov 28, 2017
At a guess, if you download a model without having the stater pack you may get that error, what did you download?

In daz click on help up the top, hover over trouble shooting, and you can view the log file.
I downloaded this
I'm assuming you meant the "Genesis Starter Essentials" which I will start to download now, but I loaded some of the demo models in the program and they loaded up fine. The 2 lines I posted above were what the log was throwing, which had me confused a little bit when it's a log that tells me to "read log for more details" :ROFLMAO:

EDIT: Ok I realized what's up now. I have to load a generic body first THEN select the body THEN load the preset which will apply the morphs to that generic body instead of spawning its own body. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: mickydoo

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
So I've started working on my apartment and was wondering if it's possible to make different sides of a primitive have different surfaces, i.e. for one side of a cube to be blue and the other side green?
Each primitive has only 1 surface parameter, hence you can only apply 1 texture to each primitive. Instead of using a cube, just use a separate plane for each wall. Should you wish different textures on either side of a wall, use a plane for each side of the wall.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Each primitive has only 1 surface parameter, hence you can only apply 1 texture to each primitive. Instead of using a cube, just use a separate plane for each wall. Should you wish different textures on either side of a wall, use a plane for each side of the wall.
You could also combine the textures, make one half blue and one green and then tile it correctly in daz.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote