3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Evic

May 25, 2018
Couple very likely dumb Daz3d questions:
1.Somehow I lost my ability to rotate things on screen. If I select an object I get the xyz movement box, but no rotational curved lines to adjust, and the blue/green/red circles on the top left don't appear. What the hell did I do?
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but make sure you have this tool selected if you want to have the ability to translates and rotate the object in the viewport:
2019-07-19 10_40_59-Start.png
2. Normally when I select an object, say that I move a chair, and then click on a character to pose, then it selects the whole character. However, I have one character, though, that whenever I click on her it selects that specific area I clicked on. So I'll have a chair selected, then click on the character, and it'll select her torso, not her entire character. For all the other characters it doesn't matter where I click, doing the same thing selects the entire character. How do I fix this?
Normally this happens when you have the bone tool selected but then that should be on all characters.

It's hard to guess, screenshots may help.

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but make sure you have this tool selected if you want to have the ability to translates and rotate the object in the viewport:
Oh god, lol. Yeah I didn't have that selected for some reason. That's embarrassing.

For the other thing, I figured it out, and it's another dumbass thing on my part. In the scene selector if you click on the arrow next to their name, it's either a check or an X. For that one character it was an X.
That was annoying. Thanks for the help! Lord knows I need it.

CarbonBlue

Developer of Unleashed
Game Developer
Oct 25, 2018
And another question. I have a scene with a relative close-up of 3 characters, so I knew it'd tax my system. I've got an i5-6600k with 16 GB ram, 1060 6GB. I realize that's not ideal. But shouldn't my GPU be doing a bit more of the work? My i5 mostly stays around 55% or so, though it spikes up to 100% at times. The GPU's obviously filled its RAM. But shouldn't the chip on the GPU do more than 2%?

Evic

May 25, 2018
If you run out of vram Iray will fall back to the CPU and not use the GPU for rendering at all. There are tons of tricks you can use to get ram usage down. You can safely assume that 90% of the trouble you will face with vram is from the textures so try to optimize those as best you can. If you can get your hands on Scene Optimizer that can do some of the work for you, most times that and removing any objects not visible to the camera (directly or in reflections) will get your ram usage way down.

Here is an example I did recently- 3 characters, a building, an armored car, lots of "clutter" total vram usage was about 6gb.

This one also had three characters and a more complex backdrop geometry wise, I got this one down to just over 3gb vram.

Two tricks I use often to hide low-res textures used on the scene are dust effects and instanced objects. So it sort of truly is "smoke and mirrors" :) Depth of Field works really well too since it will blur the objects you reduce the textures resolution on, sometimes to the point of only being able to discern colors and shapes.

Also, keep in mind that sometimes Iray just craps out and kicks over to the CPU when the scene should fit in your vram. When in doubt, re-start Daz and try again.

Reactions: CarbonBlue

Morpheus668

Jun 22, 2017
Yeah, with Iray and GPU VRAM, its all or nothing.
even somebody with a 11GB VRAM Titan will find it useless as soon as the scene goes to 11.1GB
Like Evic said, if it aint going to be shown in the render, get rid of it if you need to cut usage down.

Last edited:

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Also, don't use Task Manager to track your GPU usage, it doesn't work properly. Use GPU-Z instead to get accurate usage information.

Elle.effie

Feb 21, 2018
I'm working on some models to render for a project I'd like to do, however I've run into difficulties with posing multiple characters: when I have them touch, in this case the womans hand on the mans leg, the nails deform. I've set up the characters, both customized from G8 presets, as such:

Character 1: set up a new geomorph, then add a smoothing layer.
Character 2: same as the first.
Next I apply a pose to get them in the approximate position (the characters are different hights and sizes, so they need to be manipulated into the correct positions.

While I'd obviously like more solid collision than this method provides, I can deal with it. The real problem is the nails morphing as if they were tiny pillows. Shortening the nails seems to fix the issue on the 4 main fingers, but not the thumb, causing it to appear as if the nail is peeling off. Moving the thumb away and back into the desired position doesn't fix the issue. Any idea how to fix this before I render it?

Disabled Account #1278362

Donor
Mar 8, 2019
I am totally new to Daz3d. I am trying to manually install assets downloaded from here. I put them in the right folder, My Daz3d Library. I can see them in the studio in my content library. But I cant get them to show up in the Smart Content panel, and I cant add them to my scene/models from the Content Library panel. How do I fix this?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I am totally new to Daz3d. I am trying to manually install assets downloaded from here. I put them in the right folder, My Daz3d Library. I can see them in the studio in my content library. But I cant get them to show up in the Smart Content panel, and I cant add them to my scene/models from the Content Library panel. How do I fix this?

NSF-95

Jun 28, 2018
I have a question, is there a way to find an asset that I'm looking for quickly? like a site for Daz assets or a better way to search for assets in the asset release forum?

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
I have a question, is there a way to find an asset that I'm looking for quickly? like a site for Daz assets or a better way to search for assets in the asset release forum?
There's a search function in both Smart Content and Content Library.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Smart content needs metadata. If the assets you installed are old (legacy) or poser assets, they don't have metadata. You can still add them manually by selecting them in the content library -> right click -> category -> choose the category you like them to be.
Sometimes assets don't register, if that happens you can try to right click on the smart content or content library tab -> content db maintenance -> re-import metadata.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
Are there any Daz programs similar to Fit Control that work for nipples? Some of the clothing I like to use doesn't wrap around hard nipples and I get the nipples poking through the clothing, so I'm wondering if there is a program that can force the clothing to move into a 'pokie' shape.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Using a D-former, or a dForce modifier, or a morph transfert from a clothing that do it, could do the trick. It depends on the clothing. But if it just poke through the clothing, did you try with a smoothing modifier and just playing with smoothing iterations ?

Reactions: Yonamous

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Are there any Daz programs similar to Fit Control that work for nipples? Some of the clothing I like to use doesn't wrap around hard nipples and I get the nipples poking through the clothing, so I'm wondering if there is a program that can force the clothing to move into a 'pokie' shape.
Most of the issues with nipple poke through result from a low density clothing mesh in the region of the nipple. In this situation the clothing is unable to contour sufficiently. Whilst a d-former will move the mesh vertices such that you don't get poke through it won't create a nipple protrusion effect on the clothing. If you want to see this for yourself, switch the view in Daz from texture shaded to wireframe.

Due to the limits of the clothing asset (the mesh), there won't be any assets to create the effect you want to achieve. When you consider an asset such as headlights (nipple asset), it creates another high resolution mesh that is placed over the G8F mesh. That is why it can achieve higher detail.

There is a way to achieve the effect you are searching for, however it does require that you export the clothing mesh into a package such as blender, where you can manually increase the mesh resolution in the region of the nipple. You would then have to import the modified clothing back into Daz.

When I have this issue in Daz, I generally resolve by turning off the nipple morph on the character.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Yonamous

Yonamous

Dec 17, 2017
When I have this issue in Daz, I generally resolve by turning off the nipple morph on the character.
I might just have to do that as importing to blender is beyond my skill level. It's a shame because the outfit is perfect for the scene I'm building, but would also be a prime time to have hard nipples poking through.

ulala0077

Game Developer
Mar 15, 2018
Hi, after playing a lot of games I decided to try creating one my own. I first started with creating characters, a milf mom one, after hours of crating a decent character I decided to create a render of it, but the problem is I can't get the rendering right. In opengl or others the blonde hair looks black. In Nvidia Iray, even after spending about 2hrs for one render (pic attached), it still doesn't get the hair right. Can anyone help, I am very new to daz studio.

Screenshot (111).png 1a.png

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Hi, after playing a lot of games I decided to try creating one my own. I first started with creating characters, a milf mom one, after hours of crating a decent character I decided to create a render of it, but the problem is I can't get the rendering right. In opengl or others the blonde hair looks black. In Nvidia Iray, even after spending about 2hrs for one render (pic attached), it still doesn't get the hair right. Can anyone help, I am very new to daz studio.

View attachment 368324 View attachment 368325
Within the viewport the hair is shown as the base colour. There are however many other surface properties that are applicable to the hair asset. If you select the hair asset in the scene window and then click on the surfaces tab you can view all of these properties. My best guess as to why the hair colour renders different, is the translucency colour / weight.

Reactions: ulala0077
5.00 star(s) 1 Vote