3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

ddeadbeat

Bewbie
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2018
Looks like daz ran out of memory, 8GB is a little bit small.
You could try to set a windows swap file (if not done already) but this will only help for a certain amount.
The strange thing is a couple of weeks ago I wanted to see how my PC will handle several characted, so I loaded about 5 figures, some of them were dressed in a bathroom with glass and reflective surfaces and Daz didn't crash.
I have 20GB swap file.
I guess I'll have to add some RAM soon.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
New day - new problem. I was done playing with single character and decided to create, dress(!) and render them both at the same time(!!) in an environment(!!!). Those unreasonable ambitions led to Daz crashing, hard. First time I tried to render the scene Daz didn't crash but refused to render the scene due to some kind of unknown error (I didn't save the log). Next time the renderer worked for about 1-2 minutes and then Daz crashed with the first error. Then I tried removing the environment and ended up with the second error. To sum up, when I'm trying to render 2 clothed figures without an environment, my PC lags like hell, sometime Chrome crashes as well and after 2-3 minutes Daz crashes as well. When I try to render one figure, each one is rendering easily in 1 minute with 95% conv.
I have GTX 1070, Ryzen 5 2600, 8GB RAM.
In those 2-3 minutes of rendering before crash GPU was loaded for 99%, VRAM ~5GB (of 8), RAM - gradually increased from 3GB to 8 and then after it reached 8GB in a few seconds crash occurs.
Have anybody had any similar issues?
View attachment 585298
View attachment 585299
You will need to utilise Scene Optimizer in order to reduce the size of your texture maps. This will allow Daz to run within your PC RAM. It's a pain, however necessary on all but the most powerful setup. If your serious about using Daz then 32GB of system RAM would be advisable. The GTX1070 is a reasonable card (8GB vRAM I think), however you will also need the texture simplification to prevent fallback to CPU rendering, thereby using the power of your GPU.

Note that you can also simplify the scene geometry by playing around with mesh density, however it has less impact on VRAM requirements.

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
The strange thing is a couple of weeks ago I wanted to see how my PC will handle several characted, so I loaded about 5 figures, some of them were dressed in a bathroom with glass and reflective surfaces and Daz didn't crash.
I have 20GB swap file.
I guess I'll have to add some RAM soon.

That's indeed strange.

5 figures without clothes/hair should probably work, but with clothes and especially hair it will blow up the ram usage.
AFAIK reflective surfaces are not a big deal regarding ram (not vram), but they are increasing render times in iray a lot (might be wrong).

Reactions: ddeadbeat

ddeadbeat

Bewbie
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2018
Xavster, tk99
Thanks a lot! Since crash error messages didn't imply that crash occured because I ran out of RAM, I thought there definitely should be another reason. But looks like it is the reason.
I tried using Scene Optimizer and it did its magic! RAM usage decreased to 5.5GB and the scene rendered in 15 minutes.
however you will also need the texture simplification to prevent fallback to CPU rendering
Could you please specify how can I make this simplification?

Reactions: TessSadist

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Xavster, tk99
Thanks a lot! Since crash error messages didn't imply that crash occured because I ran out of RAM, I thought there definitely should be another reason. But looks like it is the reason.
I tried using Scene Optimizer and it did its magic! RAM usage decreased to 5.5GB and the scene rendered in 15 minutes.

The simplification is reducing the resolution of the texture maps, say 4096 x 4096 to 2048 x 2048. You can also remove bump / normal maps. This is essentially what Scene Optimizer does for you. In a super close up you will notice the difference from the reduced texture sizes, however not on full body shots.

The large increase in rendering speed resulted from your graphics card doing the work, rather than your CPU. I would estimate that with your hardware, the GPU is about 10 times faster than the CPU. Just make sure you keep the VRAM usage within your graphics card capabilities.

tk99

Jun 3, 2019
need help with a new install

on my old system, i installed all products which I manually installed in folders ...

- hair
- body
- props
- poses
and so on.

this was (more or less) helping to find the product I was looking for, but gave me a lot of problems on other sides,
for example with Diffeomorphic.
(not quiet there, but trying to do animations with blender, since the daz possibilities are ....very limited)

So taking a few days, I set up the new install and put all assets in one directory.
Working as expected, but with one problem:

My old scenes don't find the assets any more (which was expected), so I can't do a new renders using these scenes.
Is there any way to batch edit the duf files (as I understand they are gzipped, so after unzipping them, it should be no problem to edit them) to correct the path?

I think it should be possible with sed, awk or something like that (yes, linux user here, but a windows solution would be ok, too), but I don't know enough about the structure of the duf files.

Otherwise I have to set them up from scratch :(

TIA

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Xavster, tk99

I only have a 6GB GPU so Scene Optimizer has literally allowed me to often make a render or not without extreme changes.

Reactions: expoexpo

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
Short question: how to create a character if they don't show up in the "Characters" or "Figures" Tab?

Do i have to load Genesis 8 and then apply it?

Because if i do it that way, they lowkey look all the same.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Short question: how to create a character if they don't show up in the "Characters" or "Figures" Tab?

Do i have to load Genesis 8 and then apply it?

Because if i do it that way, they lowkey look all the same.

Are you talking about custom morphing and then saving a model, or how to load a non DAZ Store model?

Reactions: cnwolf

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
Are you talking about custom morphing and then saving a model, or how to load a non DAZ Store model?
How to load a non DAZ Store model that doesn't show up in the "Characters" Tab in Content Library:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Most of them just show up, but some doesn't. So the only thing i can do is load a Basic Genesis 8 and then "apply" the model. Is that the right way? Because i have the feeling that somehow they all look the same, because i start with the Genesis 8 instead of fully loading the characker.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Is "Characters" a folder you created in the Content Library? Because it is not a default folder name.

For this particular character, as per the store page at Rendo, you also need: Growing Up for Genesis 8 Females by Zev0

For everything I have installed from Renderosity, I just pull it from the alphabetical "Product" folder in Content Library. Unless you were to create your own metadata I don't think there is anywhere else to find it.

Edit: Looking closer at the product page, there doesn't seems to be any character preload included. Which I assume means there is no character icon you can just click and load everything. Seems to just be a morph you have to apply after loading G8F.

Last edited:
Reactions: cnwolf

concionator

Feb 10, 2020
Could someone help out pls, I am stuck with the character converter for the DAZ 3d Studio from G3 to G8 males.
1. I've chosen an outputfolder.
2. I have trouble with selecting input character, how to this? Can some one make screenshos of how to do it?
Help would be much appreciated...

cnwolf

Jan 1, 2018
Is "Characters" a folder you created in the Content Library? Because it is not a default folder name.

For this particular character, as per the store page at Rendo, you also need: Growing Up for Genesis 8 Females by Zev0

For everything I have installed from Renderosity, I just pull it from the alphabetical "Product" folder in Content Library. Unless you were to create your own metadata I don't think there is anywhere else to find it.

Edit: Looking closer at the product page, there doesn't seems to be any character preload included. Which I assume means there is no character icon you can just click and load everything. Seems to just be a morph you have to apply after loading G8F.
Sorry i meant: People->Genesis 8 Female->Characters
Okey, if it's just a morph my question got answered.

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
sorry about the double post, but I am entirely out of space on my computer. Will daz work if i store my library externally?
You can specify multiple folders to install and store your stuffs.
In the DAZ Install Manager click to the top right gear icon and got to the Advanced Settings. In the downloads tab you can setup your download folders, and in the Installation tab, you can setup your "My Library" path.

ddeadbeat

Bewbie
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2018
Guys, is there a way to make sure that there wouldn't be any clothes' or other stuff clipping in animation, without checking and editing every single frame? Example is in the spoiler. I have checked 1st, middle and last frame to see that there is no clipping, but after rendering, weird stuff is happening near the fingers, wrist and panties area.
I could live if sometimes a finger pokes through the skin or piece of clothes, in can be unnoticeable. But how can I get rid of that irritating jittering? What causes it? I feel like I can disable some kind of calculation, like collisions or something, to make those little flaws in posing-morphing unnoticeable.

EDIT: Google Drive attachment doesn't work for some reason, here's new link:

Last edited:

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
Guys, is there a way to make sure that there wouldn't be any clothes' or other stuff clipping in animation, without checking and editing every single frame? Example is in the spoiler. I have checked 1st, middle and last frame to see that there is no clipping, but after rendering, weird stuff is happening near the fingers, wrist and panties area.
I could live if sometimes a finger pokes through the skin or piece of clothes, in can be unnoticeable. But how can I get rid of that irritating jittering? What causes it? I feel like I can disable some kind of calculation, like collisions or something, to make those little flaws in posing-morphing unnoticeable.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Your google drive video is protected.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote