3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
When rendering animations you want to ensure that convergence is as quick as possible. Hence if you are rendering at native resolution you want to get a suitable image in no more than 400 samples. If you are down-sampling (rendering at 4k and then reducing to 1080p) you want to get samples down to no more than 100. There are exceptions, however this is usually when you have a lot of emissive sources. One of my characters is based on Zelara8 which has emissive skin, hence I had to increase iterations to 200 when sampling at 4k.

Most of this comes down to lighting setup. When rendering animations, I try to ensure that lighting is provided by dome only. Whilst this sounds highly restrictive, it really isn't. By utilising and iRadiance Light Probes you can render a really nice animation, however with a highly convergent lighting setup. If you want a little more lighting complexity you can always add an emissive light or 2. Removing everything that isn't in field of view helps as you don't have any light rays bouncing off these items, which increases calculation time per iteration.

A secondary alternative to improve rendering time is to render the characters and the background separately. This will however create additional time to recombine each animation frame with the background, prior to conversion to a video file. There is however another alternative where you can create a transparent animation, by using the RenPy animation mask capability. Have done this within my game for the salvaging portion within ver 0.3. Not the easiest thing to explain, so if you want to know the method for your game, probably better to PM me.

Whilst I now have a RTX2060, the 0.2 version of my game was done with a GTX1060. The RTX 2060 allows me to be a bit lazier now, however good results can still be produced on the old hardware.

Typically I like to keep rendering times down to no more that 5 minutes per frame. Note that you are not seeking the same quality on an animation frame as you are on still image. Old TV used to run on 320 x 240, however it didn't look completely awful. Maybe a little poor for ice hockey and cricket, however fairly function for everything else. You also have the option of using Denoizer on you image series. I used to use this all the time, however it can be detremental if you have detailed textures, so these days I sometimes take the option of cranking up the samples.

Last edited:

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
Sorry for really newbie question. I played around with the program tonight and I was trying to play with a subtle appearance of a female genital in a scene. I tried it from a sitting position, but I found a lot of the poses made her legs somehow look really funny with the genital not looking right because somehow the legs or interior area looks too jagged or bony (hard to describe better.) So I did a shot completely manually by moving her legs carefully over and over, but was wondering if there are good sitting poses out there that maybe make it easy to display like under a skirt better?

I manually changed it from second picture until the last one. A lot of practice right now more about lighting and stuff but thanks in advance! meeting1.jpg meeting2.png meetings3.png

• Wow
Reactions: Aweful

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
Sorry for really newbie question. I played around with the program tonight and I was trying to play with a subtle appearance of a female genital in a scene. I tried it from a sitting position, but I found a lot of the poses made her legs somehow look really funny with the genital not looking right because somehow the legs or interior area looks too jagged or bony (hard to describe better.) So I did a shot completely manually by moving her legs carefully over and over, but was wondering if there are good sitting poses out there that maybe make it easy to display like under a skirt better?

I manually changed it from second picture until the last one. A lot of practice right now more about lighting and stuff but thanks in advance! View attachment 568311 View attachment 568312 View attachment 568313
I'm not a Daz expert, so this is just a mention for the shake of reality. You should try combining open thighs with slipped skirt for better visibility instead of weird poses. Like this:
3c956e8f6bddee899bc28d68df186045.jpg

Reactions: TessSadist

TessSadist

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 4, 2019
I'm not a Daz expert, so this is just a mention for the shake of reality. You should try combining open thighs with slipped skirt for better visibility instead of weird poses. Like this:
View attachment 569047
Hi thanks for the tip, I think I can do a basic sitting position like that, but I was trying to have her hike her leg up on the table in front of the male MC a specific way for the narrative (so she can move her leg even closer a certain way if desired hee hee) and it was really hard! I'll keep experimenting...

ddeadbeat

Bewbie
Game Developer
Mar 30, 2018
Question: I'm using Golden Palace for genesis 8 and it's not showing up on the body correctly. Only 10% shows if that. I followed the instructions completely and I know that it is there, meshes/textures, because if I use the scale slider and increase it from 100% to 103%, the genetilia is completely visible, textures are perfect, but it is no longer flush with the body. Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong? I'm less than a week into learning daz so it's probably me, not the software.
Img 1 is golden palace applied at default 100%
Img 2 is scaled to 105%
Thank you in advance for any assistance.
I had exactly the same issue. As I see, Inanna_17's problem was not solved at least in replies, but I figured this out, so maybe it will be usefull for someone else. I use the plugin(?) named MeshGrabber and for some reason while this tool is selected, it affects Palace, New Genitalia for Victoria 8 and Breastacular a bit as well in that strange fashion. If you change active tool to anything else, everything looks as it should be.

Techn0magier

Jul 2, 2017
I had exactly the same issue. As I see, Inanna_17's problem was not solved at least in replies, but I figured this out, so maybe it will be usefull for someone else. I use the plugin(?) named MeshGrabber and for some reason while this tool is selected, it affects Palace, New Genitalia for Victoria 8 and Breastacular a bit as well in that strange fashion. If you change active tool to anything else, everything looks as it should be.
This is an issue for several tools, not just mesh grabber. It is a known bug that messes with other parts of the render as well. Make sure that you have always selected the Universal Tool or the Selection Tool.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Getting this crash report every time I open up 3dDaz. Anybody know what's going on?
You'll always have some errors and warnings in your log file, I can't find anything specific that would explain an initial crash. Maybe you're trying to load a scene that's too heavy for your machine?

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
Getting this crash report every time I open up 3dDaz. Anybody know what's going on?
Your user, computer name, ips and everything else are in the dump file, so consider sharing it in the future.
XML:
<error>
    <what>ACCESS_VIOLATION</what>
    <process>
        <name>DAZStudio.exe</name>
        <id>10220</id>
    </process>
    <module>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP100.dll</module>
    <address>0033:000000006AA69E17</address>
    <function>
        <name>std::ios_base::_Ios_base_dtor</name>
        <offset>27</offset>
    </function>
    <file></file>
    <line>
        <number></number>
        <offset></offset>
    </line>
</error>
<usermsg></usermsg>
<syserror>
    <code>0x000000B7</code>
    <description>Cannot create a file when that file already exists.</description>
</syserror>
There is some problem with your visual c++ library. Try to find an update, service pack or try to reinstall daz. I hope it will help.

hencuka

Jul 16, 2019
Pretty silly question, but I wondered when I saw the "save as" menu in Daz... How should I save my created character so I can use it in scenes (like drag in, or any other way)?

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
so.. In DAZ when it comes to organizing non smart content library assets that are from other vendors like renderocity or other such places. lets see if I can phrase this question right. is there a way for me to group them by what they are, by moving them around or am I stuck with the file paths that the creators made?

because every individual seems to create a file path that doesn't match what anyone else is doing. it wasn't an issue when I didn't have many things but finding a specific item is getting challenging. I hate having to flip through 19 different folders with the same name but on different paths to find the chair i'm looking for or the shirt?

Looking for any particular item in my non-smart content library is beginning to take more time than a full scene render (not really but you know what I mean)

or is there maybe a way to add a tag or something to the items for searching them up like "kitchen stuff" or "female clothing" "vehicles" "chairs" etc?

I would love any help with this it's really becoming a nuisance and I want to get a handle on it before it's completely unmanageable.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
so.. In DAZ when it comes to organizing non smart content library assets that are from other vendors like renderocity or other such places. lets see if I can phrase this question right. is there a way for me to group them by what they are, by moving them around or am I stuck with the file paths that the creators made?

because every individual seems to create a file path that doesn't match what anyone else is doing. it wasn't an issue when I didn't have many things but finding a specific item is getting challenging. I hate having to flip through 19 different folders with the same name but on different paths to find the chair i'm looking for or the shirt?

Looking for any particular item in my non-smart content library is beginning to take more time than a full scene render (not really but you know what I mean)

or is there maybe a way to add a tag or something to the items for searching them up like "kitchen stuff" or "female clothing" "vehicles" "chairs" etc?

I would love any help with this it's really becoming a nuisance and I want to get a handle on it before it's completely unmanageable.
You can add them to a smart content category, right click on the item -> categorize (or category).
Content library sucks for the exact reasons you mentioned, and you can't change or rename the folders without breaking the asset :(

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
You can add them to a smart content category, right click on the item -> categorize (or category).
Content library sucks for the exact reasons you mentioned, and you can't change or rename the folders without breaking the asset :(
will doing that throw the whole file path under smart content or just "tag" the end item? I really dont want to make my smart content as messy as the other library is.

I am literally considering creating a bunch of sub libraries then then deleting reinstalling each type in its own library to sort it down a bit.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
will doing that throw the whole file path under smart content or just "tag" the end item? I really dont want to make my smart content as messy as the other library is.

I am literally considering creating a bunch of sub libraries then then deleting reinstalling each type in its own library to sort it down a bit.
Not quite sure what you mean with the whole file path. You click on the item you want in smart content and choose the category in which you want it to show up.

Hamfist

Nov 16, 2019
I guess i'm not understanding how it works. I took one item that i know works (lip ring). categorized it as an accessory, head. accepted. but when I select her head (or her entire body) under smart content it's not showing under accessories? I'm probably making this harder than it has to be.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I guess i'm not understanding how it works. I took one item that i know works (lip ring). categorized it as an accessory, head. accepted. but when I select her head (or her entire body) under smart content it's not showing under accessories? I'm probably making this harder than it has to be.
I guess the item doesn't have metadata, so you'll have to un-tick the checkbox on the lower left under the smart content to see it (don't remember the name, can't check right now).

Kryptozoid

Sep 3, 2016
Hello, DAZ new user here. I have some noob questions :

1. I have DAZ Studio 4.12, do I need Pro ? Is it free ? Is pro and normal version the same now ? Cause when I search for pro on the DAZ site it sends me back to the download page where I grabbed the free version... So I don't know.

2. I have base install with Genesis 8 base models, and of course a bunch of pirated stuff I downloaded from here and other sources. How do I install all of this without problems ? (will read https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-install-content-to-daz-w-w-o-install-manager.6045/ ) but if you have some quicker and updated version of this I'm interested.

3. Do I need to download G3F models too, or is G8F better globally and I can stay with it as long as I find enough content for it ?

4. How do I add genitalia ? I have downloaded a pack called Cock-O-Rama with a base install and then various packs for all sort of genitals but maybe that's not the best way, and it's only for males. What to install for females ?

That's it for now, thanks for your answers.

Also, just found this tutorial on phub :

Didn't watch it yet but might be useful for other noobs like me.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote